Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

It depends. They could just have a soft spot for the show and want to do it. I mean Morgan and Wong still love Millennium

There is loving the show and then there is being a staff writer on someone else's project. If this was a full season, then yeah, I could imagine them writing a one off motw episode like Stephen King did. But it is going to be a short mini-series type deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Double posting to once again recommend the x files files. Their latest one mentioned something I had never really thought about: how much Pusher (Vince Gilligan's 1st script as a staff writer) is like Proto-Breaking Bad: regular, disgruntled guy develops cancer, he uses his powers to lash back at the world and feel big (even choosing not take up the easy treatment that would have saved his life) and when no one notices and he is about to die free but unrecognized he starts taunting law enforcement to get their attention.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

apophenium posted:

Nah, you don't have to sync them up, they talk about two episodes per podcast, usually. They've been going in order, but Kumail said he plans on doing an episode about the X-Cops one out of order. The guests Kumail has had have been really good so far, he even talked to Darin Morgan about Clyde Bruckman's Last Repose and Humbug. I think he's going to have William B. Davis on the show soon too.

Yeah, he's had both Morgan brothers on his show, and also Mark Snow (composer of theme song), Dean Haglund (one of the lone gunmen) and Steve Asbell (producer of second movie). So not only are his guests generally good, but he is also getting a ton of insiders to come on. Darin Morgan will be back on to talk about Jose Chung's from outer space. I wouldn't be surprised if he got Gilligan or Carter to do a podcast with him.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ElectricWizard posted:

I'm currently trudging through season 7, and the quality drop is starting to set in for real. The last one I watched, the Gillian Anderson-written and directed "All Things", was particularly awkward and cringeworthy. For those who need a refresher, Scully finds out that her old professor, who she was sleeping with back in med school, is dying. She has several visions, and a revelation in front of a Buddha statue in a Chinatown temple. Then her aging former lover is cured through alternative healing, by the cleansing of his chakras, or something along those lines.To my understanding, this is the only thing Anderson has ever directed, and I guess she's a believer in that stuff. There are a bunch of experimental touches, such as scenes in slow-motion set to Moby, none of which really work.

Anyways, I'm hoping there are at least a couple of more bright spots on the line of X-Cops before the end of the series.

If I recall correctly, part of the deal that led to that episode was that Cris Carter came to Anderson and said they'd do the episode if she changed the beginning to have that scene with Anderson getting dressed and leaving Mulder's apartment. So it was pretty much an excuse to feed the shipper fire.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just to pimp the podcast once again, next week Darin Morgan will be on the x-files files to discuss jose chung's. As far as not writing much, in a previous interview with the x-files files Darin Morgan seemed to be really down on his own writing (or at least on how the episodes he wrote turned out) and also completely hate the "notes from the network" part of writing a tv show.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 12, 2015

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

What I've read is that what was meant to happen in season seven was CSM establishing a new Syndicate with Marita Covarubius and Alex Krycek, but it never really came to anything. I'm not sure, though, if the episode where Krycek shoves wheelchair-bound CSM down some stairs and (seemingly) kills him was meant to be the start of it only for it never to take off, or if that was meant to be the climax of events that had been set up beforehand. I can't remember.

The show was meant to end in season 5 and become a series of movies. Then FOX renewed it until season 7, and season 7 was supposed to be the end of the series. Duchovny was only signed through 7, and only wanted to continue to play the role in movies (real reason he disappears is because his contract ran out and he only signed to be part time). They even shot a series ending scene for season 7. There is an interview from back when the season 7 finale was about to air where either Spotnitz or Carter talked about how two weeks prior to it airing they still didn't know which one was going to air. The real reason the X Files had a season 8 and 9 was because everything else Fox had failed, with the exception of Ally McBeal and X-Files. Every single other drama Fox had on during the 7th season failed or was cancelled (including Harsh Realm, which was supposed to be Chris Carter's next series)

So if seasons 8 and 9 seem like they are pulling stuff out of their rear end, it is because they were. And they did renewals one year at a time, which is why 8 also feels like a season finale. Season 9 was the last one they had Scully under contract, so eventually they let it go.

PrincessKate posted:

What I want to know with regards to the mythology is why the relationship between CSM and Teena Mulder never really went anywhere story-wise.

The show explicitly references some sort of affair they had together. CSM keeps a picture of her and baby Mulder. Mulder has flashbacks where CSM, Bill Mulder, and Teena are all arguing together right before Samantha's abduction. CSM visits Teena in the hospital and has an alien heal her. Teena is with CSM when Mulder is in the hospital in "The Sixth Extinction" and she is the one who helps CSM kidnap Mulder.

So obviously she is in on something, knows something, or CSM is holding something over her. And the payoff is that she kills herself because of a terminal illness and decides to haunt Mulder so he can know benevolent spirits took Samantha?

Huh?

I know they were rushing to just tie things up, but that whole aspect of the conspiracy bothered me because I always thought it would go somewhere. Maybe the woman who played Mulder's mother just wasn't a good actress and that's why they never went anywhere substantial with her?

CSM is Mulder's father. Agent Spender comes back from the experiments they did with him disfigured (and looking suspiciously like David Duchovny), and is able to pretend to be Mulder because DNA tests shows similarities which are explained by him being Mulder's brother. Which is a funny bit about the power of the internet: back then they could fake out Duchovny's return all the time and not have it be spoiled by the media.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Word is it will be 6 episodes and could start shooting as soon as june if contracts are signed soon enough.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

How did he get better from getting pushed down the stairs in a wheelchair?

The same he got better from the sniper bullet early on: off camera and mysteriously.

I sincerely doubt that they would do new stuff and NOT touch on the myth arc. Most of the hardcore fans still care about it, and if you read any of the online petitions/campaigns/etc for a 3rd movies, they were all done assuming a wrap up to the mythology.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Speaking of black oil - my main question re. the mythology is this: In one episode Mulder gets infected with black oil while being held prisoner in Russia, but as far as I can tell it's never really brought up again or resolved in any way. Am I missing something? It should have been a huge deal.

That is because that is the second time the black oil stuff appears in the series and as such they had not really decided what to do with it. The first time we see the black oil alien (piper maru), the black oil itself is entirely inconsequential. They do a bunch of tests and find out that the black oil is simply engine oil, and was just a vessel for the formless alien force. Then comes tunguska/terma, where the black oil is some form of alien bacteria, and is treated as a straight up crawling infection (doctor who gets infected goes into a coma). Then it comes back again in the movie, where it infects people, but this time turns them into hosts that will create one of the grey aliens. Then, by season 8, the black oil is back to mind controlling people.

Zartosht posted:

Well the whole point of the place was to create a vaccine. :shrug:

Which would mean that the entire plot in season 8 where they were trying to get the vaccine from Krycek to save the resurrected Mulder was pointless. The key to enjoying the mytharc is to ignore the details (and ignore the super soldiers entirely).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

So, these may be blasphemy in this thread, but I'm looking to watch the X-files with my girlfriend, and wondering if there is an episode lists the main story arch episodes, as I know a lot of season 1 at least is "filler" by comparison what the main story ends up being and the main character relations.

http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Mythology

contains a pretty comprehensive list of mythology episodes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

How do some of you remember the names of the episodes so well? :3: Unless you got the wiki opened when typing, hah.

Some of them are strongly tied to the episode. It is impossible to think of pusher, or drive, or tooms, or home and not immediately remember the episode name. For the most part the x-files named the episodes in a very straightforward way.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It was never among my favorites because it is less sci-fi and more new agey.

And shippers hated it because it indicated that Scully and Mulder were platonic soulmates.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There are multiple points where you can says started to deteriorate. Most commonly, these are the points people point to:
- Moving to LA after season 5 and the movie
- Wrapping up the syndicate story (season 6)
- Duchovny becomes part time (end of season 7)
- Duchovny is completely gone (end of season 8)

One of the things about season 8 and 9 that would be completely different nowadays is that back then the network could keep secrets much longer. Season 8 and 9 a huge part of the plot and the promotion of the series was based around "will Duchovny show up in this one?" There were at least 2 or 3 episodes that were all about teasing that Duchovny is totally going to appear, only he doesn't (the one where he is coming back on a train, the one with Spender disfigured to look like him). Nowadays those things would be spoilered immediately.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

What was the episode where Dogget was killed and then brought back to life by the throw up monster? I couldn't get over the fact for the rest of the series every time I saw him he was made of some monster barf.

The Gift, a season 8 episode that was terrible just for the fact that it wasted one of Duchovny's season 8 episodes on him doing flashbacks.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

quote:

1. Vacuum Cleaner
“The idea here is that Mulder has kind of moved into his living room. It should suggest something else about Mulder that I won’t spoil, but Mulder has moved into the central room of his house, and everything that might come into play in such a messy house is in that room.”

God, I hope they don't do a "Scully and Mulder are separated, but will they or won't they get back together?"

They love doing crap like that and it is always annoying. If I recall correctly, Carter or Spotnitz even admitted to changing the script of the 2nd movie to make it ambiguous whether they were together until the scene in bed (and then just for good measure had to have scully almost leave him).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If I recall correctly, at the time it aired that episode drove people nuts. First, because Duchovny was doing a limited number of episodes in season 8, so him appearing entirely on flashback annoyed people. Second, because there were shippers, and Scully getting pregnant through that instead of the old fashioned way was a big deal, for some reason.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Nouvelle Vague posted:

Doesn't she have no eggs?

I'm watching through this with my boyfriend; it's his first time seeing it. We'll start season seven soon, do you goons think I should subject him to 8 or 9?

Watching it with a fresh perspective has been interesting, to say the least. His favorite episodes so far include "The List" and "The Unnatural."

bobkatt013 posted:

Which is crazy as it was revealed that she could not get pregnant and it was using the Ova that they found in season 4.

esperterra posted:

Which was silly since they were already loving before season 8 so really it should have been nbd, shippers already got their fix mang.

Yes, she had no eggs. But she also says that she can't explain how she got pregnant during the season 7 finale. And you are expecting the shipping thing to make sense.

For fun, and inspired by Kumail, here are some of the x files discussions of the time per manun aired:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.tv.x-files/Fcpbm5OlNvo

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.tv.x-files/LM_I4NCek4g[1-25]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.tv.x-files/U9lVKs3rPmg

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.tv.x-files/ygqO5B7rFqA

"we got a semi kiss"

edit: for some reason the links are directing to specific posts. Click on expand all to see the entire discussion.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 12, 2015

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I'm not quite that far in my rewatch and it's been a long time since I've watched any of this show, but isn't the core of that arc actually that Scully's cancer made Mulder realize that he might be getting people around him killed for something he isn't even 100% sure is the truth? Like, the fake alien was basically just the last straw in the "holy poo poo, what am I doing?" re-evaluation.

Also, there's are several episodes with shapeshifters that aren't aliens, so it's not really unreasonable for either one of them to decide "hey, maybe not aliens after all."

No, Mulder got convinced by Kritschgau that the entire Alien plot was intentionally created as a distraction to cover experiments that were really being conducted by the government.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
People have been promoting it here for a while. It is so great that the host was actually hired to play a part in the coming episodes. He's had many great guests as well (both Morgans, one of the lone gunment, etc).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jose posted:

is there a list of plot episodes as much as they are and i can watch the rest whenever? brand x was the last episode i watched

If you just want to catch up on the mythology for the new episodes, the first half of the series finale is essentially a clip show where they sum up the series to that point (with some retcons)

This is a pretty comprehensive list of mythology episodes, from:

http://www.xfilesuniverse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=873.

Season 1
1.01 - The Pilot
1.02 - Deep Throat
1.04 - Conduit
1.10 - Fallen Angel
1.11 - Eve
1.16 - Young at Heart
1.17 - E.B.E.
1.21 - Tooms
1.24 - The Erlenmeyer Flask

Season 2
2.01 - Little Green Men
2.02 - The Host
2.03 - Blood
2.04 - Sleepless
2.05 - Duane Barry (part 1 of 2)
2.06 - Ascension (part 2 of 2)
2.08 - One Breath
2.10 - Red Museum
2.15 - Fresh Bones
2.16 - Colony (part 1 of 2)
2.17 - Endgame (part 2 of 2)
2.18 - Fearful Symmetry
2.22 - F. Emasculata
2.23 - Soft Light
2.25 - Anasazi (part 1 of 3)

Season 3
3.01 - The Blessing Way (part 2 of 3)
3.02 - Paper Clip (part 3 of 3)
3.09 - Nisei (part 1 of 2)
3.10 - 731 (part 2 of 2)
3.15 - Piper Maru (part 1 of 2)
3.16 - Apocrypha (part 2 of 2)
3.21 - Avatar
3.23 - Wetwired
3.24 - Talitha Cumi (part 1 of 2)

Season 4
4.01 - Herrenvolk (part 2 of 2)
4.03 - Teliko
4.07 - Musings of Cigarette-Smoking Man
4.08 - Tunguska (part 1 of 2)
4.09 - Terma (part 2 of 2)
4.14 - Memento Mori
4.16 - Unrequited
4.17 - Tempus Fugit (part 1 of 2)
4.18 - Max (part 2 of 2)
4.21 - Zero Sum
4.23 - Demons
4.24 - Gethsemane (part 1 of 3)

Season 5
5.01 - Redux I (part 2 of 3)
5.02 - Redux II (part 3 of 3)
5.03 - Unusual Suspects
5.06 - Christmas Carol (part 1 of 2)
5.07 - Emily (part 2 of 2)
5.11 - Kill Switch
5.13 - Patient "X" (part 1 of 2)
5.14 - The Red and the Black (part 2 of 2)
5.15 - Travellers
5.18 - The Pine Bluff Variant
5.20 - The End

The X-Files : Fight The Future(Movie)

Season 6
6.01 - The Beginning
6.03 - Triangle [OK so the link to the mytharc here is a bit tenuous, but still]
6.04 - Dreamland (part 1 of 2)
6.05 - Dreamland II (part 2 of 2)
6.09 - S.R. 819
6.11 - Two Fathers (part 1 of 2)
6.12 - One Son (part 2 of 2)
6.20 - Three of a Kind
6.22 - Biogenesis (part 1 of 3)

Season 7
7.01 - The Sixth Extinction (part 2 of 3)
7.02 - Amor Fati (part 3 of 3)
7.10 - Sein Un Zeit (part 1 of 2)
7.11 - Closure (part 2 of 2)
7.15 - En Ami
7.22 - Requiem (part 1 of 3)

Season 8
8.01 - Within (part 2 of 3)
8.02 - Without (part 3 of 3)
8.13 - Per Manum
8.14 - This Is Not Happening (part 1 of 2)
8.15 - DeadAlive (part 2 of 2)
8.16 - Three Words
8.18 - Vienen
8.20 - Essence (part 1 of 2)
8.21 - Existence (part 2 of 2)

Season 9
9.01 - Nothing Important Happened Today I (Part 1 of 2)
9.02 - Nothing Important Happened Today II (Part 2 of 2)
9.06 - Trust No 1
9.09 - Provenance (Part 1 of 2)
9.10 - Providence (Part 2 of 2)
9.16 - William
9.19 and 9.20 - The Truth(Parts 1 and 2)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

haveblue posted:

I don't think it counts, not every episode where the government is the bad guy is mytharc. Like, I'm not sure how The Pine Bluff Variant or Unrequited wound up in that guide on the previous page.

Dreamland is considered mytharc because the body switch is caused by an alien spaceship outside area 51, and the crew is there specifically to hide its existence. Yes, it is an excuse to do the body switch plot, but still it is directly about the theme of the show.

Pine bluff variant and unrequited are less obvious, but the argument in the forum i got that list from is that they are important to understand Mulder''s subsequent belief that aliens don't exist and it was all stuff planted by the government,

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It was poo poo. But they also had to come up with something that could be more powerful than the ultra secret all world encompassing conspiracy that they had apparently just solved. Fox programming decisions were as responsible for the decline of the show as anything.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
To be fair, first 5 seasons or so the mytharc was pretty tight. But that is when Fox decided to continue doing the x files as a tv show because everything else they had was doing terrible. The original plan was 5 seasons and then a movie franchise, then 7 and a movie franchise, and then both 8 and 9 were last minute renewals.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I think if this kind of thing were a possibility back when the show first went off the air, Duchovny and Anderson would have been very willing to listen to ideas and keep the show going on a part time basis. Duchovny especially didn't seem to hate the show or the character or anything, but it was preventing him from doing other things he wanted to do. He was bored.

Now though its totally feasible to just mark out a few months every 2-3 years for shooting these limited run seasons and they can both do whatever they want the rest of the time.

Just look at the solutions Fox had for the Duchovny problem back then. They maintained the same amount of episodes and fit the plot around the fact that he wouldn't be there most of the time. I assume things would have gone a lot better if they would have just conceded that a standard 22 episode season wasn't feasible and done something similar to what they're doing now.

Duchovny specifically wanted completely off the show, as did Gilliam Anderson. Only he was a bigger name and renewed for fewer years. Duchovny did part time for season 8, and didn't want even that commitment for season 9. They both wanted the show to continue as a movie franchise, and for a very long time were pretty vocal against going back to TV. The movie franchise derailed because the show kept getting renewed at the last minute when other fox dramas failed, and once it finally went off the air Chris Carter sued Fox over residuals (which would also mean no mini-series). The 08 movie only got made because of the pending writer's strike, but even after it bombed in the box office they were pretty adamant about only doing it as movies. There was even a Duchovny interview where he was specific about it (can't find it anymore because it had been posted in https://www.xfilesforum.net , and the site doesn't exist anymore, and you can imagine that googling Duchovny and miniseries now will lead to a ton of hits).

The truth is that back then they both thought they'd be huge movie/theater stars, and for a long time turned down all TV. Then they got older and less marketable and started saying yes to a lot more things.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not sure that's true, at least for that reason. Its true that they both wanted the full-time job of being on the Xfiles t.v. show to end, but I believe if a limited run 8-10 episode season was presented as an option back then there's a chance a deal could have been made. Duchovny ended up on HBO not long after, and I remember reading a lot about how Anderson was just in semi-retirement hanging out in Europe with her husband and kids for a while. The problems were more with the schedule and general boredom with the characters.

This isn't a what if that we have to imagine. They tried to get Duchovny to do season 9 part time like he did season 8 and he turned them down. Likewise, Anderson was dying to get away from it and said she didn't want anything to do with it. Can't find all the links I had from the xfilesforum, but here are some choice quotes:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-x-files-gillian-anderson-sure-doesnt-miss-it/

quote:

When Anderson did finally leave The X-Files, she vowed never again to be part of a long-running series. But, if the right project came along would she not even consider another show? Anderson says “Are you kidding me? My God, I don’t even watch television. I don’t like television. I never have liked it. The whole concept of sitting down in front of a TV feels like one of things that’s destroying society as far as I’m concerned.”

http://metro.co.uk/2008/08/01/duchovny-reveals-anderson-feud-332697/

quote:

Why did you do the film?

It was always in the back of my mind. Especially leaving the show a year before it finished, I always said to Chris and Gillian I didn’t want to destroy the show, I just wanted to do it as a movie franchise. I wanted to do another X Files film, it didn’t matter about the money. It provides some resolution in my relationships with Chris and Gillian.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/5658-interview-the-x-files-david-duchovny/

quote:

It was never my intention, when I left the television series, to sabotage the show in any way. Yes, we’ve done all we can on television, let’s take this into movies like we always said we would. I wouldn’t see any reason to do X-Files unless it [was carried into film].

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If Duchovny turning down season 9 part time (again he turned down the same deal he had for season 8 of 8 episodes) Anderson not even auditioning for tv for almost a decade and those interviews dont convince you that they wouldnt have done mini series 10 years ago, i dont know what else would convince you or what exactly you are looking for.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Payndz posted:

Gillian Anderson's actually done a fair bit of British TV over the past few years; Bleak House, Great Expectations, The Fall (which I think has either just had or is about to have a third series) and some others, and she's in the new version of War & Peace that just started. All that and Hannibal and various movies too - she's keeping busy. She mostly seems to be concentrating on miniseries, though, so I imagine she doesn't want to be tied in to anything long-term that might keep her from other work.

Yeah, but outside of bleak house (high status period drama on the bbc), all of those were post 2010. She pretty much focused on theater and movies between the end of the x files and then. She definitely wasnt interested in American popular tv.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 5, 2016

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
But the reviews are only for the 1st episode, which suffers the double whammy of being related to the mytharc and being written by Carter (which was always the weakest of the writers, in my opinion). I want to see what they will say about the Morgan episodes (both Darin and Glenn).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Actually thinking on that, other than the series finale, do Doggett and Mulder ever meet? I just remember Scully constantly bringing up Mulder to Doggett and him clearly not caring a lot.

Yes, they did meet in season 8 episodes. One of them is just the two of them stuck in an oil rig.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

redmedicine posted:

anyone else find it pretty jarring how episode 2 just starts with them back in suits investigating cases again like it's no big deal? i understand the time constraints and all, but still.

This was originally meant to be the 4th or 5th episode.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Octy posted:

Doesn't he come back in the last couple seasons in connection with the super soldiers or something?

Yes, he does. He's in the season 9 episode where they tease the entire episode that mulder is coming back but he isn't.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This was phenomenal. For the first thirty minutes or so I was just amused at all the internal references. And then that twist hit, and I loving lost it.

Also, its funny seeing the reactions to a Darin Morgan episode by people who aren't aware of what a Darin Morgan episode is.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
all the easter eggs in the episode:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/x-files-easter-eggs-weremonster.html

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This is pretty much the second movie in episode form. Take conservative paranoia, strip it of any remaining subtlety, find a halfassed way to do a monologue so Cris Carter's new agey bullshit can come through, and act like its real insight. Second movie did "married gay scientists abducting women to become transgender," this one does "refugee terrorism," both are steaming piles of crap.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
At this point it is pretty clear why Chris Carter is the only one among the main x files writers to have no career post x files.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

You never know, until Breaking Bad happened Vince Gilligan's big non-X-Files achievement was Hancock :suicide:

Which is one more achievement (in six years) than Chris Carter has had in 14 years.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It will be glorious if they come back after 14 years only to once again solve one conspiracy by pointing to an even bigger, more secretive conspiracy.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Now I know how Charlie Brown felt when he tried to kick the football.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Fandom.txt, pretty much. That's the thing about this revival - the show's not all that markedly different, but the internet environment surrounding fandoms has gotten incredibly entitled and pissy about literally everything. Other than the straight-forward 24 Muslim terrorist plot I thought it was a solid mini-season and it was fun seeing the actors return to form. Obviously Carter is one of the weaker writers and I'd rather see Vince Gilligan and Frank Spotnitz back, but it's nowhere near the EYE RAPE that everyone makes it out to be.

Ah, yes, it is the "internet environment" that has caused this "different" reaction. Because people just loved seasons 7 through 9 back then, right? The X Files went out on top and everybody loved those infinite resets of the mytharc. It is just that the internet environment has changed this time around. Sounds plausible.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The thing that gets me about this series is that it retcons a bunch of things away, but instead of then just telling a more streamlined story, it creates an even bigger mess. Like, how hard would it be to ignore the supersoldier nonsense and just pick up with the colonization plot pre-supersoldiers? The syndicate was playing both sides, so its elimination by the rebels wasn't necessarily the end of the colonization plot in a world where supersoldiers didn't exist. Pick it up from there, maybe even have Mulder have to go the syndicate route because of the vaccine, and you have a satisfying story.

Instead, after the latest retcon and new story, we have even MORE unexplained stuff from the original series. If it was all like the revival sets up to be, what's the point of the spaceship in movie 1, of the cavemen infection, etc?

This revival is like JJ Abrams hand waving away the prequels and the whole "midichlorians blood test" stuff just to set up the galactic conflict being decided in the galactic supreme court and establishing the amigdala MRI as the true detector of force sensitivity.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 23, 2016

• Locked thread