Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I have a personal favorite from Season 8: Via Negativa. It's the first episode that has Doggett handling an X-File by himself, and it does a great job of establishing him on the show. He's the new skeptic, but he's more of a working-stiff "common sense" type of skeptic than Scully, and he's smart enough to look outside the envelope if that's where the evidence takes him. It's also one of the last of the scary episodes (full of nightmare imagery and three-eyed souls of cult leaders), and one of the few times we get to see how a normal person would react to the stuff M&S take for granted. No spoilers, but Doggett spends the last quarter of the episode freaking the gently caress out, and it's just a wonderful performance by Robert Patrick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I was thinking a bit about this when I saw Zero Dark Thirty, specifically at the part when Jessica Chastain goes to Area 51 to get two of those black UN stealth helicopters to hunt down Bin Laden. This doesn't explain why the X-Files lost its audience in 2001, of course, but it seems like in the years since then there's been a gradual revelation that not only are all the conspiracies true...but that they're far more disappointing than we ever could have imagined. There are plans and schemes, but all are orchestrated by dull, greedy men for relatively unimpressive reasons. (Hell, even in the movie, one of the helicopters flips over in an updraft.)

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the first AV Club review for Millenium suggest that the show was a post-9/11 show that had the misfortune to air before 9/11?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Didn't that happen to Mulder too?

No, Mulder was gonna do it to get rid of his brain cancer, but he took pity on the Native American whatsit and decided to just leave it in peace.

Come to think of it, Doggett died a lot during his two years on the X-Files, didn't he?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Any news about Robert Patrick, or is he done with the X-Files altogether?

• Locked thread