Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gushing
Jan 15, 2013

david_a posted:

Outside of the overall myth-arc story being stupid, do the actual myth-arc episodes get bad at some point? I'm trying to justify abandoning the mythology since I know it leads nowhere good, but it's still pretty good so far (I just started S4).

Oh Brian Thompson... He possibly has the greatest 'natural talent' for playing an evil badass ever:

by that I mean he has the giantest mouth

I love how the shapeshifters can magically heal bullet wounds and severe brain damage in humans, but if they get stung by bees they will have those scars for a month :)

I'd argue that the ideas behind the mythology/black oil/BEEEEES get really, really muddled following seasons 4 and 5/The Movie, but that doesn't stop Vienen (from season 8) being one of the better late-season episodes that incorporates elements of the mythology into its plot whilst at the same time somehow managing to avoid making a complete headache of the rest of the episode. I never even bothered trying to watch The Sixth Extinction stuff, though.

Admittedly, Vienen would probably work just as well as a self-contained monster episode since the mythology stuff that does come up doesn't really add to/clarify anything that's been established already and the rest of it is basically identical to something like Firewalker or Ice (Agents in peril in an isolated location! Intrigue!), but I'm biased because it's the black oil and the black oil frigging rules even if it makes absolutely no sense.

It's also upsetting that the only other thing that I can think of Brian Thompson having a prominent role in is Joe Dirt. :smith:

gushing fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread