Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Nothus Infelix posted:

Then, for better or worse, the entire mytharc was ignored for the last movie, save a throwaway line about the FBI dropping charges against Mulder. Which makes me think the writer of that movie turned off the series finale halfway through, and wasn't really paying attention to the first half.

But it was the same writer that ran the show for 9 seasons, and also wrote the finale. My guess is they just decided to pretend that ending didn't happen so they could start over with a clean slate, and dumping a load of mytharc references on a cinema audience who wouldn't know or care about it was not in their minds. As it was, I remember a certain amount of confusion among my friends about references to Scully's baby and Mulder & Scully now sleeping together, as they'd all pretty much stopped watching long before that.

Not that it mattered anyway, as the film still tanked. In retrospect, I really think cinema was the wrong venue to relaunch the X-Files. "I Want To Believe" felt in pretty much every respect like a TV movie, and if they'd gone down that route I think it might've had a chance, instead of being the final nail in the franchise coffin.

Just looked on IMDB, I'd forgotten Xzibit was in there. Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

joepinetree posted:

And he is even shown sleeping on it, apparently naked, with Scully getting dressed next door.

Seriously, this show rivals friends in terms of the whole will they/won't they bit, which as far as I can tell was a first for a non-sitcom show. Hell, I even read an interview with Spotnitz about the second movie where he talks about changing the script a bit to make it ambiguous if they were together for the 1st 1/3 of the movie, only to have the whole scratchy beard scene. Even the much criticized all things is better understood as a long troll on shippers (the episode starts with the aforementioned naked mulder sleeping and scully getting dressed, then goes back in time a week or so and does not end with whatever led to them sleeping together).

Moonlighting got a good three seasons out of whether Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd would ever get together. They eventually did, of course, which just proved to be an example of how this sort of thing can end up being ratings death for that kind of show, especially if people are only watching to see if the two lead characters eventually get it on.

There's another example I can think of that will possibly resonate with UK goons of a certain age, Press Gang. Some guy called Steven Moffat was behind it.

As an aside, it's crazy to think Moonlighting had 60 million viewers at its peak. 60 million! And yet hardly anyone talks about it now. I guess some shows are so of their time that they just kind of fade from the public consciousness when they're done, even if they were a huge cultural phenomenon.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

joepinetree posted:

The thing about Chinga is that I fully expected King to be able to write something that would fit right in with the show. A ton of monster of the week episodes feel just like Stephen King's short stories: something unnatural may be happening, it is revealed that it is indeed something unnatural but the specific details are not provided, and then there is a sort of conclusion that is not a definitive conclusion. And then when you actually get King writing for the show, it sucks.

My understanding is there wasn't much of King's original script in the actual episode, Carter basically rewrote the whole thing. Although given how terrible most of King's TV writing is, that's probably a blessing.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
I've just resumed rewatching this on Netflix after lengthy break, and now it appears all the on-screen captions(locations, subtitled dialogue, etc) have been removed. And also the "THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE" tagline and all it's numerous variations have also gone. Someone on reddit claims it was because of licencing issues with the fonts used, which sounds like nonsense to me but there doesn't seem any other explanation forthcoming.

Also Seasons 6-9, which were previously in 16:9 ratio, have now been switched to 4:3 versions. Hmm.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
I'm going to be boringly predictable and say Season 5. It's the final Vancouver season, and was originally intended to be the last (with the movie wrapping everything up) but then less-saner heads prevailed.

The tonal shift after they move production to LA is so jarring it almost feels like a different show. It's not awful(well, not immediately), but having everything happening against a backdrop of constant sunshine as opposed to endless rain and fog kind-of fundamentally alters the atmosphere of the whole thing. And the show seems to get a lot...goofier. Possibly the two things are related.

I suppose you can pretend it's a spin-off with the same characters. AfterXFiles.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

piratepilates posted:

That lady was aggressively British.

That's one of my biggest complaints (it's also one of my least favourite episodes) about that episode, that the British people are so British to the point where it's irritating.

In the X-Files Files episode they did mention how apparently a lot of extra Mark Sheppard stuff was cut out, which would have been interesting to see. Apparently there was a whole bunch of internal monologuing on his end (like how Scully was talking to the tape recorder about what the possible suspect would be like as the scene is following him) that was left on the cutting room floor.

My favourite part of the episode however is how they throw out the backstory and motivation for him in one quick line before moving right on.

"Oh yeah and also he was abductedbyasataniccultandburnedaliveasatoddler or some poo poo, now let's go X-Files'ing!"

As a British person, the acting/writing of the British characters in "Fire" is absolutely hilarious. Other than Mark Shepherd, it's one of the few things I enjoy about that terrible episode.

Can't believe they ever even considered having Mulder ditch Scully for Phoebe full time. I've never seen two actors with less chemistry than Duchovny and that woman.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Whenever I rewatch Fallen Angel I always expect to hear "Unmarked Helicopters" by Soul Coughing playing in Max's trailer, and I'm always a little disappointed when it isn't there(it's replaced with generic radio noises.) I guess either the band or the publisher withdrew permission to use it, I don't know. But it's kind of weird that except for off-air recordings from the time, there's no version of that episode with the song still in it. It wasn't on the VHS release, DVD or Netflix. Somehow they managed to clear every other song featured in the show apart from that one.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Huh, I guess I really must be confused."Unmarked Helicopters" is in the series, but much later than I thought, in the season four episode "Max".

But thing is, there really was a song playing in Max's trailer in the original broadcast - I remember it distinctly because the same song plays twice, first when Mulder goes in and finds Max having a seizure, and again right at the end after Max has disappeared. So what the hell was it, if not that?

gently caress, I'm starting to doubt my own memory now. This is turning into some legit X-Files poo poo.

It was there, dammit! I heard it!

Maelstache fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 3, 2015

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

bobkatt013 posted:

Mark A. Sheppard is another one. If you want to see Mark Pellegrino take a look at No Holds Barred.

There's yet another Lost connection I can think of(other than the multiple appearances by Terry O'Quinn), Titus Welliver shows up in the Season 1 episode "Darkness Falls" playing an eco-terrorist.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Edit: Actually don't know what I'm talking about.

Maelstache fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 2, 2016

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Basebf555 posted:

I mentioned this earlier on the page but I'm convinced it was an homage to the scene in Home where the family shows up at the sheriffs house and the music is playing as he and his wife are murdered.

It wasn't the same song but the scenes are very similar and the lighting really reminded me of that scene, plus the title of the episode had me looking for it.

Innocuous music playing over scenes of horrific brutality is pretty much a Morgan & Wong trademark.

I was kind of disappointed they haven't collaborated on anything this season. If the X-Files couldn't bring them together again, I guess that partnership really is done for good.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

piratepilates posted:

Now I don't watch much TV, but is it just me or do these new X-Files episodes just feel a little off (barring the were-lizard)?

Mulder and Scully are fine, but it just seems a little weird and loose and the other actors just seem kinda lovely and everything just feels kind of cheap somehow, and everything is tinted blue. There's something about it that just feels bad.

They bought back the old writers, but none of the directors. Rob Bowman, David Nutter, Kim Manners(RIP), all those guys that made the show look amazing week after week. If the series is renewed for a longer run, I hope they at least get some of them back.

Also, I guess they're probably not using film now. Shooting on 35mm hides a lot of sins, it's why the low-budget early seasons still look really good compared to a lot of modern TV.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Jack Gladney posted:

X-Files always had that well-meaning but stupid racism thing going on. If you see an asian, you better bet your rear end that some mystical knowledge or organized crime is coming your way. An old Jew? Here comes a golem and probably some holocaust talk. An American Indian? Fuuuuuuuck, you better buckle up.

Yeah, it's that thing where no-one involved is trying to be racist, but they end up becoming so unintentionally due to a lack of cultural knowledge, which leads to falling back on the kind of stereotypes that look fairly regrettable with the passage of time.

And eventually you end up with a story about an Indian dwarf who likes to crawls up people's butts.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I just finished Triangle. :swoon: Holy poo poo, what a gorgeous, fun episode! I'm willing to cut the future bad episodes a lot of slack if there's anything else like this ahead for me.

The Dreamland two-parter is a lot of fun. Oddly, it felt more to me like "X-Files: The Movie" than the actual movie did. I wonder if it was actually pitched as a film idea at any point?

It goes kind-of downhill after that though. I'll never understand how they made an episode where Bruce Campbell plays the Devil be so dull.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

business hammocks posted:

The biggest lol for me was the dumpy conspiracy guy (or smoking man, I don’t remember) name-checking the fourth turning and Strauss and Howe, signifiers of self-satisfied middlebrow overconfidence everywhere. Carter must think he’s so smart.

Old-man shove fight was pretty good too.

I'm pretty sure he also misused the term "the end of history" as if it means the end of all human civilisation, which is not what that means at all.

Wikipedia posted:

The end of history is a political and philosophical concept that supposes that a particular political, economic, or social system may develop that would constitute the end-point of humanity's sociocultural evolution and the final form of human government.

It was a phrase people were throwing around after the end of the Cold War, meaning humanity had turned a corner in it's evolution, democracy had triumphed and everything from now on was going to be just fine. Ha.

I lol'd very hard at the shove fight, mainly at Duchovny's total lack of emotion as he was shoving Pileggi. He has just loving checked out of this now, hasn't he? Does not give a poo poo.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

This show was so great when it was good, what happened? I understand that Carter is a hack, that much is evident, but then how/why was it ever as good as it was? There's plenty of excellent videos and articles discussing, say, the hows and whys of what happened to the Simpsons, and for something like Game of Thrones or Battlestar Galactica there's also readily apparent explanations for why the shows took the nosedives they did when they did. But what the heck happened to the X-Files? Part of it certainly seems to be the fact the Syndicate plotline was thoroughly wrapped up in season 6 but then trotted out once more as a zombie, but the issues seem more fundamental and far-reaching than that. Like the problems with the latter seasons, and especially last season, go deeper and farther than simply 'the mytharc has nowhere to go'

I think a lot of it came down to the talent drain post-Season 4, by which I mean a lot of the really talented creatives on the show were gone by the time that season was over.

The thing is, in the beginning, Carter didn't really know what he was doing as he had no experience running a show, so he was happy to let other people take the lead in deciding the direction and tone of the series, notably the Morgan Brothers, James Wong and Howard Gordon. I think also he also just lucked out getting a really solid crew behind him, both writers and directors. Certainly his work outside the show(or lack of) has demonstrated you can't recapture lightning twice.

By the time Season 5 rolled around, with most of the Season 1-4 writers having left to work on other projects(apart from Vince Gilligan, who stuck around right to the end), the creative direction was now largely determined by Carter, Frank Spotnitz and John Shiban. Between them they wrote pretty much all the main mythology episodes from S5 onward, e.g. the ones that "mattered" in the context of the larger story arc. So I think the main arc just lost some of the more openly collaborative approach it had early on, and it basically just became these three guys, neither of whom were ever the strongest writers to put it politely. It seems other writers who came on board during this time had a pretty lovely experience, often finding their scripts re-written to the point they were unrecognisable.

There were factors involved of course, such as Duchnovy getting bored and wanting out, and the production moving to L.A. which fundamentally changed the whole look and feel of the show, and not necessarily in a good way. The X-Files was never going to be the same when it was filmed under constant sunshine and clear blue skies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Tiggum posted:

Alien science.

Finally we can get an answer for how Krycek grew his arm back after those Russians cut it off in Season 4.

• Locked thread