Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

escape artist posted:

Let me tell you a little about this show called Law and Order.

Law and Order very rarely, to never, showed the actual murder that each episode revolved around. The opens were always the Bickersons stumbling across a dead body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, all things felt to me more like Gillian Anderson doing stuff than Scully.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Zesty Mordant posted:

I just watched "The Amazing Maleeni" and its is a total by the numbers X-Files episode that is simply really entertaining. It could be an episode of anything, CSI, whatever though.

Considering where CSI takes place I'd be amazed if they haven't done at least one story like The Amazing Maleeni.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

For example, keep in mind that one Tom Clancy novel where the villains were originally Muslim terrorists mounting an attack on the continental United States, but were changed to a far-right militia before publication because it was felt that it would be more believable that way.

Wait, which Clancy book was that? The only far-right militia guys I remember in a Clancy book were Dumb and Dumber trying to blow up Washington with a concrete mixer full of fertilizer in Executive Orders (which also had Iran launch a bio-attack on the U.S. as prelude to attempting to take over the entire Saudi Penninsula). And Sum of All Fears had a pair of Muslim terrorists nuke Denver

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Fringe had a vastly better finale than X-Files that's for sure.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Walter Bishop is one of the best characters in genre TV. He's a goddamn treasure in every episode.

:agreed:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

X-com 2 is good synergistic promo

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The background music is straight early nineties, love it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This is such X-Files by the numbers with zero soul behind it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Okay, the Mission Accomplished banner made me laugh.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Thank-you Scully for saying what I'm thinking.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Do doctors normally have blood splattered all over themselves like that after surgery?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mm, alien abduction, now this takes me back.

Or not.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

JetsGuy posted:

1) Who the gently caress is watching Supergirl? People who leave their TVs on one channel?

Me, for one. This week's episode featured J'onn J'onzz fighting a goddamn White Martian. Supergirl is A-Ok.

As was Founder's Mutation, that was some gruesome, and fun X-Files.

Plus, Vik Sahey as Gupta, always good to see Lester get work.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Batham posted:

back in the FBI, with Mulder in his basement office,

And Scully still doesn't have a desk.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Except, isn't TV viewership pretty much down across the board from the 90s?

Even when compared to a decade ago. Firefly got cancelled for having viewership numbers that would now be a hit. That 19.8 average for the X-Files would make it the most-watched non sports show on TV (or really close to it), and back then it was what, top-20 at best?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

These days(well, for the past decade or so) networks care more about other factors like demographics, blu ray sales, and binge-appeal than they used to, so the emphasis on ratings isn't what it was. If a show has a niche audience, but that audience is critical to the established ad contracts, it may be worth renewing it regardless of ratings. Or if the show has low ratings, but does really well on Netflix, that may justify its renewal because it means viewers are fairly likely to switch to watching episodes live if they catch up.

Networks are also making a lot more of the content they air instead of buying it from an outside studio. Which means they get the money from syndication/streaming rights and can tolerate lower ratings from those shows because of it,

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

:allears: Oh Darin Morgan, how I've missed you.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The score tonight is fantastic.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The peeping tom was chugging rubbing alcohol right?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

JossiRossi posted:

If you can't like this episode, then your soul is already gone. Mulder speaking for Scully right now is hilarious.

You're bat crap crazy!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wait...is Kim Manners dead?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

poo poo :smith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

GamingHyena posted:

If I remember, there was an episode where Everybody Loves Raymond's dad could tell when you would die. He couldn't tell when Scully would die, therefore she must be immortal.

There was also that episode where the photographer who couldn't die transferred his immortality to Scully.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Soulwrangler posted:

I liked the episode a lot but my favorite part was this:

According to Sepinwall this episode was originally written for some short-loved Nightstalker remake. So that's just another reason for that costume homage.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The ratings from the first episode alone have all but guaranteed Fox will want more.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

JetsGuy posted:

Finally, was I the only one who noticed Scully said the "I WANT TO BELIEVE" poster was hers?

Scully bought him a replacement poster after the original got destroyed somewhere around season 6 or so.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

The first was written by Darin Morgan, I don't know about the second.

I had to look it up because it was bugging me, Tithonus was a Vince Gilligan episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

That guy's a hack!

Obviously, they didn't even bring him back for the miniseries!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

For my money, the two best series finales of all time are quite probably All Good Things, and Futurama's Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings.

The finale of Fringe left me a blubbery mess. That dang white tulip :unsmith:

I binged through the last three episodes of season 10 last night, and I cannot believe Babylon exists :psyduck:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Get hosed for saying the moon landing was faked Carter.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That...but...I don't especially care about Mulder & Scully's kid and that made me mad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mulder and Scully Meet The Were-Monster definitely happened.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

meatpath posted:

What is this. :allears:

Good X-Files?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It felt like a really solid mid season stand alone episode, which I suppose it was, so good job there x-files.

The opening sequence, spank bank icon, and Hannibal shout out were all good too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Who cares about Black Mirror, this was a rehash of Kill Switch, and that's okay.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So, Mulder and Scully save the day by being...hot? Is that what the takeaway is supposed to be?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ahahahahahahahaha, the record skip

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Part of me hated that montage, and part of me loved it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Duchovny is having so much fun with this lunacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Polygynous posted:

what just happened

Darin Morgan wrote an episode of television where he got shot in the head.

• Locked thread