Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
take the red pill
Dec 12, 2013

by T. Finninho
I grew up watching the series in the 90s (I caught about 30% of the episodes in the original airing from about 95 to the end of the series, from a third grader to a sophmore in HS.) I ended up revisiting the series a couple of years ago and caught the most highly rated episodes from the 1st to the 5th seasons.

What I adored about the show were the atmosphere, style and brooding tone. The "X-Files" often wallowed in dark scenes and always seemed far more cinematic than anything else on TV. Watching it as a kid I might not have been sophisticated enough to be put off by the alien mythology plot and how it was always ongoing and not satisfyingly dealt with from season to season, but upon the second the viewing of notable episodes it occurred to me that that the alien stuff was always a mcguffin, a tool to generate other plots and give the characters motivation. At least the show wasn't as insistent upon its Alien Mythology as "Lost" was about its so called "mysteries." The X Files often offered significant and long lasting respite from its alien conspiracy stuff...most of the episodes are stand alone and are concerned with other mysteries, and most of the conspiracy eps are still kickass anyway in the way they evoke a certain mood and evoke an atmosphere of paranoia and anti-government suspicion.

Anyway, who among you saw "Home" in its original airing? Imagine being a 5th grader and watching that live.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread