Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Next episode sincerely looks pretty creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

LesterGroans posted:

The message wasn't "stop looking at your phone", it was "be nice to service workers".
It was clearly both. And both were given in a horribly clumsy way.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It really bothers me since neither Fox nor Scully were ever the "constantly on their phones" type of people. Fox especially, I mean him not being able to take a picture with his phone was literally a plot point of an episode last season. And since when did Scully live in this uber-technology house anyway? It kind of felt like the writers never actually watched an episode of the X-Files before.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

bull3964 posted:

How are so many people misunderstanding an episode when Fox basically looks into the camera and says it?

How we treat AI is going to determine how AI treats us.

I mean, geeze, it was really clearly spelled out.

Mulder was abusive to the AI chefs (no tip.)
Scully was abusive to her automated driver (don't talk to me.)

Both actions were reflected back at them.
That's just as stupid, honestly. Fox didn't tip because the chefs provided horrendous service to him, and Scully just wanted some peace and quiet on the way home. Them trying to murder the two over it is just petty.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well that was a definite step up from last week's train wreck. Those kid show mascots were just loving unsettling.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

business hammocks posted:

A nice entry in the xfiles tradition of our heroes having literally no effect on events and just watching magic poo poo play out.
So, this?

It was kind of strange just how...bleak this episode was. Aside from the black cop, every major character introduced in the episode died a horrible death.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

sticklefifer posted:

It was all in the low-key banter during certain scenes, for example when the party clown guy was getting beaten, and Mulder would be like "It's a witch hunt, the public indicting this sex offender before due process. But that's what America's like now, WINK." Everyone I was watching with picked up on it too, so I know I'm not imagining things.
I mean yeah, so far that's exactly what this season has been like. They're really loving heavy handed with the social commentary. It's been a while since I watched the original series, was it always this forced and eye-roll-worthy?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Man, that ending was really loving sweet. I forgot how well Fox and Scully work as a romantic couple.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well that was underwhelming, and this is an episode with a character that can blow people up with his mind. I almost didn't even notice that Reyes had died, which speaks volumes. And I don't even think The Smoking Man is dead, honestly. Dude survived a missile to the face.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

unlawfulsoup posted:

Well like every other episode about the shambling mess of 'alien virus, super son' arc, this was awful and worse unsatisfying. Which sucks, but really I don't think many of us are really surprised. I guess the sad part is Forehead Sweat and Roomba-hell were really really entertaining. The other episode of the week ones were also usually okay. So clearly, that realization of the X-files works fine, and this insistence on introducing a really really poorly organized arc was what probably sunk this show for good.
Even in the old X-Files, I really never liked the overarching alien arc. It always felt so drat clumsy, with too many moments where it went "Well ACTUALLY the things that other guy said were total lies, this is what's REALLY happening!" only for three arc episodes later when someone else goes "Nah, nah, nah, this is the REAL conspiracy, which is about yadda yadda yadda!" The episodes of the week were just fine, but I kind of felt myself rolling my eyes whenever it was clear another big mythos episode was starting.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

unlawfulsoup posted:

Well like every other episode about the shambling mess of 'alien virus, super son' arc, this was awful and worse unsatisfying. Which sucks, but really I don't think many of us are really surprised. I guess the sad part is Forehead Sweat and Roomba-hell were really really entertaining. The other episode of the week ones were also usually okay. So clearly, that realization of the X-files works fine, and this insistence on introducing a really really poorly organized arc was what probably sunk this show for good.
I always found myself not liking the mythos episodes, even in the original run of the show. Seemed like there was too much of "Well actually, what you thought all along is wrong, this what the TRUE conspiracy is!" only for next season having someone else go "No, no, THIS is what the deal with the aliens REALLY is!" and I think nobody writing the show even knew what the real answer was. I much preferred the monster of the week episodes over the arching story line.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

apophenium posted:

I hate that the last shot of Hot FBI DadSkinner is his boots under a loving Ford SUV
Wait, did he actually die? I kind of blinked and completely missed what happened to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Chris James 2 posted:

He got ran over by an SUV
Like I said, I kind of blinked and missed what happened. I just kind of assumed he got away because I never thought the show would just gloss over the death of one of its oldest and best characters.

• Locked thread