Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlaveTrader
Jan 12, 2003

*sigh* Those were the days...
You guys really need to knock off the whole '"Home" scared the poo poo out of me when I saw it live at age 10'. You're making me feel old.

Regarding the mytharc episodes, I thought it went like this:

Aliens land on Earth at Roswell ( maybe ) and make contact. Contact doesn't go well and aliens threaten to blow up the Earth/enslave mankind to make way for colonization. Earth is led to believe that the black oil will turn everyone into mindless slaves. Syndicate cuts a deal to create a human-alien hybrid to help pave the way for colonization and to act as more specialized slave labor. Thus begins the coverup and making the hybrids like CancerMan's wife.

Syndicate finds out they've been played and that the black oil is actually one stage in the development cycle of the aliens. Stage 2 is the clawed killing machine seen in the first movie and the final stage is the typical Grey alien. They also find out that the aliens have been here before and it's not colonization but re-population since the black oil is already here. They've been double-crossed.

Luckily, they've been working on their own double-cross in the form of a 'cure' for the black oil. It kinda works.

There's a rebel faction of aliens fighting the Greys. It's never made clear if they're a separate species or if they're actual Greys. They show up and start screwing up the plans of the Syndicate in order to foil the plans of the Greys. Eventually, they hunt down and exterminate the Syndicate.

At this point, the wheels come off and the show goes all supersoldier/Mulder kidnapped/Christchild. The date has been set for colonization and the show ends on a sort of half hopeful/half resigned note. Second movie ignores all of this and completely tanks at the box office and we're left with impression that everyone in the world died in December of 2012.

( Probably reading too much into a show that tried to retroactively force everything into an overarching myth but I really loved the show and can't wait for BluRays )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlaveTrader
Jan 12, 2003

*sigh* Those were the days...

joepinetree posted:

And one minor correction: the rebel alien race is actually identified - they are shape shifters like the bounty hunters, except that they've sealed their eyes, nose and mouth shut to prevent infection with the black oil.

I was under the impression that the any of the Grey's could shapeshift( See: The Unnatural ). The whole covering over the eyes and mouth didn't make a drat bit of sense either since we saw the black oil crawl through skin.

I totally agree, though, that it's really not worth thinking about too much. It's definitely a show to sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Locked thread