Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

joepinetree posted:

You should really spend some time reading alt.tv.x-files from the era.

Ah yes, that isolated singularly located community which is my exact point. Glad you agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Uh, how so? The point was always that social media allows everyone everywhere to instantly bitch to everyone everywhere, whereas whatever newsgroup was out there discussing it at the time didn't.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also, I'm not sure what kind of doctors Chris Carter consulted with, but the smallpox vaccine hasn't seen action since 1972 (at least in the US.) As such, only people older than 45 should have been affected by Spartan.

And their children/grandchildren, as Scully explained. They had modified it to be passed down genetically. They've had much, much more tenuous explanations in the show before.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 25, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I recently watched 'Rush' from season 7 and it addressed something I think should've come up in the show more often: broken spacetime. I know like every other episode of Star Trek explored "temporal/spatial anomalies" but I always liked the X-Files MOTW episodes where the universe just screws up somehow. What are some other episodes in a similar vein? The only ones I can think of are Soft Light and Monday, and technically Dreamland.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ahh, I knew I forgot one. I was thinking of time fuckery on a ship but only Triangle came to mind (which sort of doesn't count because it may or may not be Mulder's dream).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I need a sitcom spinoff starring Steve & Edy from X-Cops.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I noticed The Amazing Maleeni from season 7 was one of the very few times they've ever had something that wasn't paranormal at all, and that Scully's explanation was entirely right. Unless they were trying to say his apprentice actually was practicing real magic, but I don't think they were going in that direction. It was an interesting episode, but the lack of anything substantially paranormal made it feel oddly out of place, like a standard crime procedural with a lot of misdirection. I don't recall them doing that before, unless you count Triangle being Mulder's dream or maybe Irresistible being a death fetishist (who is probably not also a demon).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hell Money has that ghost/spirit element to it though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
^Yeah, The Field Where I Died is definitely light on it, but I'd still count it as paranormal. What's funny about that episode is that the woman with all the different personalities was Glen Morgan's wife. I think the episode was basically a showcase for her demo reel because she played something like 4 or 5 different characters.

Freaquency posted:

I thought that was just the thugs from the gambling/organ smuggling ring using the community's superstition to keep them from giving up the game, unless there was a spirit thing that I missed.
I'm pretty sure they either appeared out of shadows and/or were able to get into places a human wouldn't have, though I haven't seen it in a while.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Check out Fringe. The first season is uneven and the last season is mediocre, but everything in between is really great. You do have to watch it in order though, it's more serialized than the X-Files.
Yeah, Fringe grew into a really great show, though it admittedly takes a while to get going. Nearly every early episode's plot gets paid off later at some point though. It's very rewarding for long term viewers in that way. Season 1 looks a ton better once you see how often they call back to it later.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

WMain00 posted:

Just caught up with the final episode and what the gently caress. Just what the gently caress?

I almost had a bottle of whisky out for every time the phrase "Alien DNA" was used. I reckon I would have been on the floor by the end of it. They just seemed to piss over everything. All over the original series, all over the new one, all over any sort of intelligence or pre-planning or thought process they had for it. Just literally "Hey, is this your favourite show? Well watch closely as we piss all over it."

I think my brain left at some point. I think my brain went "gently caress this poo poo," packed a bag and exited. Whoever wrote this pile of crap needs to be taken out to a wall and shot. It just didn't make sense. Everyone is going to die except anyone who has magical-alien-dna (tm) because CSM wants to depopulate the planet just cause. Then toward the end of the episode it basically throw in as many buzz words as possible. Alien DNA, stem cells, crispr-cas (apparently a relatively new thing according to my girlfriend that is commonly used in day to day science today, but the way it was used in the x-files is entirely wrong).

And then...well...what exactly is the end result? The X Files was never really designed for a sort of end-of-the world scenario series and I can't stand agent youth face and bitch-Einstein (I call her that because her character is extremely annoying and whoever thought that Einstein would be a good name also needs shot).

The entire series has been a disaster. It's been an actual real life scenario of why some favourite tv series should be just best left dead. The only one in the series who seemed to be at least trying to put some sort of heart into it was Gillian Anderson. Duchovny seemed to be sleepwalking through the entire thing, putting forward wild ideas completely irrelevant to the plot (I can only presume the magic mushroom thing was his idea). The ending was basically a gigantic poo poo. It didn't try to present itself as anything else, it just literally was poo poo, with Chris Carter presenting it proudly, as if he had made a work of art.

I do hope the Fox executives looked at this and went "Haha, nope" and that'll be the end of it. I don't think I want more X-Files anymore. :(

If hyperbole was energy, you could power a small city with this post.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm going through the later seasons and I only realize now that I underappreciated Doggett, because like most people at the time I resented him for the crime of Not Being Mulder. I always kind of liked him anyway, but I never realized what he contributed until a rewatch. His sense of duty is great, and he's extremely good at his job. He brings a fresh perspective as an experienced former NYC cop, and stuff like him going through the entire X-Files cabinet as soon as he gets assigned are really nice touches to his characterization. Really what's missing from the show without Mulder is levity; the show gets super serious for a while as Doggett isn't exactly one for witty one-liners and banter, in the same way that the very early seasons were before the show first found its groove. Still, I like him a lot better now than I remembered.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I just watched the Lone Gunmen pilot for the first time since probably 2002, and holy poo poo is it eerily prophetic. I remember the plot about flying a plane into the WTC being strangely prescient, but they actually nail the motivations in today's conspiracy theories too - the cold war's over, the war profiteers need to start a war, and all sorts of terrorists worldwide would clamor to take responsibility for flying a plane into the towers. All of that 6 months before 9/11. It's so eerie to watch that I almost wonder if Osama had been watching Fox at the time and pulled the idea from there.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Longbaugh01 posted:

I feel you've missed the point.

What, that Truthers got the idea from a spinoff nobody watched? :v:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Taear posted:

So the reboot was shown on Channel 5 in the UK - meaning it had tonnes of adverts and not very many people will have watched it. It seemed a shame to shove it there but I guess now viacom owns C5 they wanted something "big".

As many have said I liked episode 3. I love Rhys Derby and it was cool to see him in the X Files. Every other episode was pretty awful. Although episode 3 was fun there sure were WAY too many callbacks in it.

In the past when Mulder would go off on some weird explanation it'd always roll it into the episode well so by the end you no longer thought he was being crazy, this series just never managed to do it. It just felt weirdly fan fictiony. I guess it's hard to avoid that after 10 years but it's a shame.
In the old ones we sat and thought "Okay that explanation is a bit off the wall" and they made it work, they made us think he knew what he was talking about. This one they never "earned" it.

The thing I've tried to keep in mind for the new episodes is context: The show aired before things like Reddit and Youtube where you could splay out your 40 minute homemade conspiracy video for all to see (and had a huge hand in spawning the pop culture movement responsible for it), and it also happened before all the X-Files copycats did the same ideas to death for years. I don't envy the writers who had to come up with something new, and that didn't just sound like some nut ranting online. I assume that's what Tad was supposed to represent.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Taear posted:

In the old episodes I never felt Fox was ranting. His conclusions were always perculiar, but it was never just a rant like it was in the first episode of this.

Especially since in that same episode it felt like he was saying "Oh it turns out everything I thought was wrong!!" and it happened in 25 minutes.

Well again, context - it's not the 90s anymore. Mulder is way more jaded now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Taear posted:

There's a world of difference between "My mind makes strange connections" and David Dees level "CHEMTRAILS" stuff.
I agree, but the show didn't do that and I'm not sure why people keep acting like they did. Tad's character was the extreme conspiracy nut. His chemtrails rant wasn't meant to be taken at face value. Unless I missed something Mulder never bought into anything about chemtrails. The point was there were grains of truth in Tad's beliefs and discoveries, and Mulder believed those due to what he saw in the hangar. But Tad was piggybacking every piece of silly Truther bullshit he could on top of what was actually happening. Think about how blowhards like O'Reilly or Limbaugh make those huge leaps about Muslims and Obama and Liberals, and don't let people get a word in edgewise - this is the opposite end of the political spectrum but the same type of pundit. Tad wasn't meant to be taken seriously, and was just an extreme and proselytizing version of Mulder. Not even Mulder took him at 100%. But usually there's some sort of catalyst that gets Mulder on board with forming his own theory, and that was Tad's purpose.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mendrian posted:

I unno that whole rant at the 3/4 mark of the episode sounded an awful lot like they were trying to quickly explain how this thing spread so fast. Tad might be a paranoid nut but in the absence of other explanations it sounded like exposition. But yeah to your point it wasn't Mulder directly.

Alternately, to play devil's advocate to my own point, X-Files exists in a world where literally every urban legend and global conspiracy is true including UFO abductions/government coverups based on real world conspiracy theories dating back to the 1940s, so in theory Truther and chemtrails stuff could feasibly exist in the show without the implication that they're true in real life.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
But then you have Space, which is one of the weakest of the 1st season and a total waste of Susanna Thompson.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Cool guys who walk away from explosions in slow motion, obviously.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chairman Capone posted:

Only problem I had with this episode was that they dealt with a tulpa before in... 7th season? The one where they go undercover as a married couple in the yuppie neighborhood where people who don't take care of their lawns get killed by the homeowner's association leader summoning a tulpa.
Mulder referenced that in the episode and dismissed it being the same thing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It's crazy how long TV seasons used to be. I just finished season 5, so I have 84 episodes to go. Plus two movies. :psyduck:

One one hand I know it's going to get bad, but on the flip side they are all new to me and I know there are some gems scattered in there. Plus, you never know, I may even like the "bad" seasons. LOST never got bad to me, I even loved the ending.
Honestly, I say stick through it. The last couple seasons aren't great, but there's still good stuff in there. The season 8 finale is pretty satisfying, at least for Skinner's arc. You just have to be prepared for a tone shift because Doggett is a good deal more serious than Mulder, so there isn't the dry wit and banter between he and Scully anymore, which is a big part of the charm. I ended up really liking Doggett though. He has a completely different investigative approach to cases, having been a New York cop.

I never had a problem with Lost's ending, but the last season in general is a slog for a couple reasons. One, the Temple stuff slows what was previously a breakneck pace down to a crawl, and the set looks very much like a set. Two, the 'sideways world' buildup throughout the season was just so they could still have flashes to something - but retroactively almost everything outside of the finale was unnecessary once you realized it wasn't a new Jughead timeline.

As for Fringe chat, I remember thinking Fringe was a straight up X-Files clone for the first several episodes or so, but then it quickly evolved into something completely different once you realized how it all tied together. Long term it was one of the most rewarding sci-fi shows in memory, because it paid off or called back to pretty much all of its early plot threads. That, plus it was never afraid to completely change the status quo, or have super weird one-off episodes once per season that broke format completely. The characterization was top notch too; I found myself invested in everyone by the end, including their alternates.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I would also suggest the Essence/Existence two parter finale of season 8, if only for the fully satisfying conclusion of the Skinner/Krycek storyline.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If the timing's right they can probably get anyone back. If they can't get Vince Gilligan, I'm hoping for Frank Spotnitz at least.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If we're talking outside writers, I'd like to see what Ronald D. Moore could do with an episode.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I didn't think it was all that bad, just incredibly breakneck paced. The entire episode felt like it was supposed to be a reasonably paced 90 minute episode that got compressed into a plot point montage.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean, it's no First Person Shooter.

There were a lot of bad X-Files episodes, it's just that nearing 20 years later we now live in an age of Everything I Watch Is The Worst Thing I've Ever Seen™.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

GutBomb posted:

That was terrible. This topic is covered much better by black mirror.

I liked it. It felt more like classic X-Files than most of last season. If it was a Black Mirror episode it would've ended with a twist revealing that Mulder was a pedophile all along, Scully had actually murdered William in his crib, and The X-Files were all just a simulation created by CSM using VR tech that attaches to your temples and plays Irma Thomas songs on repeat.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Octy posted:

Now that I can believe being used as an actual storyline.

Only if William Gibson wrote the episode.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

lamb posted:

Nor did I recognize her as Mrs. Peacock

Holy poo poo you're right. :aaa:

She's got a hell of a range. I just watched her in Dirk Gently's 2nd season too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's pretty funny that there was all this buildup about William and what he'd be like, but he's actually kind of a misogynist dick who two-times girls and disguises himself as his favorite PUA author.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Accretionist posted:

"I Want To Believe," is less fun applied to chemtrails than to aliens

But I'm on board regardless.

Ehh, this show has always drawn from every government conspiracy and folklore they could find. Chemtrails are just another one. Almost surprised there hasn't been a flat earth episode yet.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I liked the episode, but it seemed like the writer was trying really hard to make social commentary by comparing the Salem witch trials and McCarthyism to the #MeToo movement, and it felt kinda icky and forced.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Octy posted:

Huh, I didn't read that at all.
It was all in the low-key banter during certain scenes, for example when the party clown guy was getting beaten, and Mulder would be like "It's a witch hunt, the public indicting this sex offender before due process. But that's what America's like now, WINK." Everyone I was watching with picked up on it too, so I know I'm not imagining things.

Otherwise it felt like a solid Season 2-4 MOTW, which the exception of child murder - I'm pretty sure they've never done that before.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Paper Hearts, Oubliette, Die Hand Der Whatsit, the Closure two-parter all spring to mind, but I don't remember the specifics behind any of them.

Ah, I meant as in seeing it. Have they ever showed a child's dead body or done a postmortem before? I can't remember.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The episode was filmed in December.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I honestly didn't dislike the episode in a vacuum, but the ending was VERY obviously a "just in case there's more" one. I was fine with the William arc and how it resolved, because I figured he was going to resurface anyway, and it's a fine ending for Mulder and Scully as a couple, but beyond that it wasn't a definitive series finale at all.

If the door was unequivocally NOT supposed to be left open for more, it would've been a two-hour finale where CSM gets his absolute final comeuppance, Reyes and (maybe) Skinner don't have vague handwaved deaths, there's actual closure about aliens, and there's actual closure about what happens to the X-Files rather than the "they're shutting it down...AGAIN" move they've been pulling in nearly every season since the first one. [edit]Oh yeah, and we find out whatever happened to Doggett, goddammit.

Oh well, I guess Disney owns it now anyway, so prepare for the X-Files Cinematic Universe coming in a few more years once all the contracts settle.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The season 8 two-parter finale is good as hell, especially since you finally get closure on the Skinner/Krycek storyline in the best way possible.

Old Boot posted:

Might be part of the reason Robert Patrick said a full-throated "gently caress no" to reprising Doggett. The other part being 'I'm super busy,' apparently.
By all indications he really wanted to do it, but he's a main cast member on Scorpion which shoots 24 episodes per season.

• Locked thread