Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
What I want to know with regards to the mythology is why the relationship between CSM and Teena Mulder never really went anywhere story-wise.

The show explicitly references some sort of affair they had together. CSM keeps a picture of her and baby Mulder. Mulder has flashbacks where CSM, Bill Mulder, and Teena are all arguing together right before Samantha's abduction. CSM visits Teena in the hospital and has an alien heal her. Teena is with CSM when Mulder is in the hospital in "The Sixth Extinction" and she is the one who helps CSM kidnap Mulder.

So obviously she is in on something, knows something, or CSM is holding something over her. And the payoff is that she kills herself because of a terminal illness and decides to haunt Mulder so he can know benevolent spirits took Samantha?

Huh?

I know they were rushing to just tie things up, but that whole aspect of the conspiracy bothered me because I always thought it would go somewhere. Maybe the woman who played Mulder's mother just wasn't a good actress and that's why they never went anywhere substantial with her?

PrincessKate fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
Then why does she do things that are detrimental to Fox Mulder and advantageous for CSM, like signing Mulder out of the hospital in Sixth Extinction? When Mulder asks his mother what her relationship is with CSM, why doesn't she just tell him rather than slap him and explain to him everything that happened with Samantha?

And the whole father thing is another annoying part of the show because CSM flat-out tells Mulder he is his father, at least once. But then there are other instances (that I can't remember off the top of my head) where CSM says Bill Mulder is Mulder's father. I think CSM being Samantha's father was just implied once when Samantha (a clone?) tells Mulder in season 2 or 3 that CSM is her father. Who knows.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

Slate Action posted:

There's also, you know, straight-up retcons.

This would be ideal. Retcon back to before the Syndicate is destroyed.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

Slate Action posted:

I'm not against them just rectonning CSM back to life for the hell of it, but if they didn't want to do that what would be the most 'reasonable' way to incorporate him into the story? Flashback? A recording of his voice?

I'm honestly hoping for a straight-up retcon because his ending was so horrible. In the finale he flat out says all his actions in the course of the show were motivated by his desire to see Mulder suffer, because....um.... :confused: It was just totally contradictory to a lot of other episodes and I hate that lazy one-dimensional bad guy crap. CSM hated Mulder, just because? Dumb.

But if they don't retcon; I have no idea how to bring him back. A flashback would be borderline ridiculous because he has aged so much. I don't know what the CGI budget is. A recording, maybe. Seems like a waste to just hear him. Maybe he will appear as some sort of apparition like Krycek did in the finale.

It will definitely be interesting to see how they structure mythology episodes.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

Exploder posted:

At this point, I too am totally fine with an unabashed retcon of the finale. Hell, they can retcon the last two or three seasons of the mytharc while they're at it. Like I said earlier, they can use comic book logic and say it's "a different universe". Either way, it would be more conducive to writing a better story than considering it all canon and trying to explain CSM's death/re-birth.

I wish they would, but they won't. Spotnitz said in a Reddit AMA a couple months back something along the lines of William being an important part of the mythology that they wanted to address again. So I think come hell or high water they are dead set on continuing with the horrible thread seasons 7-9 followed mythology wise.

I rewatched "The X-Files: I Want to Believe" today and I didn't hate it because it didn't have aliens or the conspiracy. I hated it because it's a horrible movie. I'm hoping that the relaunch doesn't rehash the same story with Dr. Scully and recluse Mulder. Hopefully they can think of way to jump into things but it will be hard to do unless they just totally pretend the second movie didn't happen.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
David Duchovny said in a facebook chat, or AMA, or something (can't recall) that Gillian would dye her hair red again for the show.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

Reaganball Z posted:

I really liked the episode the Smoking Man wrote in Season 7.

He insinuates pretty strongly in his autobiography that almost everything he actually wrote got changed or cut. So he barely wrote it. He also said he thought the part at the end where CSM throws the disc in the lake as a supposedly selfless act to keep it out of the hands of those who would use it for bad was pretty dumb, vague, and unclear.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
Both episodes have felt super, super rushed. It's very disconcerting to be watching a show live and sitting through commercials.

These episodes are not the best, but nothing can be worse than season 8-9. Mulder and Scully leaving the world forever with "I want to believe" was depressing, so I feel at the very least if these last 6 episodes are the actual ending, things will at least end on a tolerable note.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

nnnotime posted:

A question about the last X-Files movie from 2008 (subtitled, I Want to Believe): does that movie tie into this new series? I didn't see the movie, so didn't know if I should watch that first in case it had anything that ties into this new series.

Or was the movie stand-alone and not "canon" as far as this new series is concerned?

Don't watch it.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
Why was Mitch Pileggi in the opening credits when he had about 5 minutes of screen time in 6 episodes?

I can't think of anything else to even say after the garbage I just watched.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

howe_sam posted:

It felt like a really solid mid season stand alone episode, which I suppose it was, so good job there x-files.

Yea this is exactly how I felt. It was an ok episode and I think the editing and tone was much improved over the premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
I finally watched the finale. Just when I think they can't make the ending any worse than the last one, Chris Carter rises to the challenge. Jesus Christ. The story, the acting, the dialogue, the editing, I mean literally every single thing was god awful.

• Locked thread