Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Acer Pilot posted:

CSM is probably a human alien hybrid clone now?

Perhaps he was a super-supersoldier all along, impervious to magnetite, and that's how he was able to survive getting blasted with rockets.

Zartosht posted:

Yup. The end also implies CSM being alive.

Awesome. Out of curiosity, did they give an explanation for either of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

It's pretty much official, Skinner is coming back, bitches! Oh, and CSM... somehow.

I am getting way too excited for this.

haveblue posted:

Is it that unusual that people remember a lot of details and trivia about something that strongly appealed to them and was consumed intensely over several years?

Yeah, I was obsessed with this show as a kid, and still am to an extent. I can remember most of them because I taped X-Files on VHS back in the day and labeled the tapes. I've also re-watched the entire series a couple times as an adult. It's no different than Trekkies who can recite lines from just about every Star Trek episode ever.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

At this point, I too am totally fine with an unabashed retcon of the finale. Hell, they can retcon the last two or three seasons of the mytharc while they're at it. Like I said earlier, they can use comic book logic and say it's "a different universe". Either way, it would be more conducive to writing a better story than considering it all canon and trying to explain CSM's death/re-birth.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

bull3964 posted:

X-FILES STREAMING IN HD ON NETFLIX RIGHT THE gently caress NOW!!!!

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3341654/netflix-streams-first-season-x-files-hd/

Only first season for now, but I'm sure more will follow.

Holy poo poo, this is fantastic news! Thank you. I don't know what's more exciting: this, or the reboot.

edit:
Just fired up the PS4, watching 'Ice' right now. Sure enough, it's in HD. It looks great. I'm so glad this show is finally getting the respect it deserves. I feel like it was ignored for the past decade.

Exploder fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 24, 2015

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

joepinetree posted:

One of the things about season 8 and 9 that would be completely different nowadays is that back then the network could keep secrets much longer. Season 8 and 9 a huge part of the plot and the promotion of the series was based around "will Duchovny show up in this one?" There were at least 2 or 3 episodes that were all about teasing that Duchovny is totally going to appear, only he doesn't (the one where he is coming back on a train, the one with Spender disfigured to look like him). Nowadays those things would be spoilered immediately.

That's such a good point. I remember watching week-to-week, even during season 9, just in the hopes of seeing Mulder come back that week. FOX's advertising sure did work well on my feeble 14 year old brain.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

In the very last season, don't they change the intro a few times? I at least remember that the very last episode has its own intro which stuffs like everybody into it, and also has a split-second reference to both DS9 and the Star Wars comics.

I don't know about the DS9 and Star Wars references, but the final episode's intro just added Duchovny to the standard season 9 intro, which listed Anderson, Patrick, Gish, and Pileggi as the leads.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I really disagree. If you watch the entire show in a short enough time that you can actually remember whats going on from season to season, the whole Syndicate/Smoking Man arc has a very definitive conclusion. Everything after that is only very loosely connected to what came before, but the Syndicate and their relationship to the Colonists is the core of the mythology up until that point and it ends very conclusively.

It's not so much that the mytharc (notably the Syndicate/Rebels arc) doesn't have definitive conclusions, it's that a lot of the plot threads and concepts mysteriously change, or get retconned altogether. The concept of what the black oil is, for example, changes multiple times. I do agree with you though, watching the entire show in a short enough amount of time is more conducive to understanding what the hell is going on. It was drat near impossible for me to follow the mytharc watching week-to-week and year-to-year back in the day. But I still loved it, even if I didn't understand what was going on.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

The one where he almost successfully seduces Agent Scully?

Yeah, "En Ami". Another underrated episode, in my opinion. It's one of those episodes I mostly forget about, until I come upon it in my re-watches, and it pleasantly surprises me. It had some really good dialogue between Scully and CSM.

CSM: "How do you take your coffee?"
Scully: "Unadulterated, thank you."

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

So in that one where Mulder does a bunch of drugs and has that guy drill into his skull so that he can remember being a kid, did we ever find out if his mom was really cheating on his dad with the smoking man?

The way his confrontation with her plays out just seems like she's a confused old woman who's shocked and pissed that her drugged-up insane kid would accuse her of cheating on her dead husband. Does she even show up again after that, or was that the last conversation she ever has with her son?

Not only did CSM and Teena Mulder have an affair, but CSM is actually Mulder's biological father. At least, I was under the impression that he was. When Scully tested Jeffrey Spender's DNA (in season 8, I believe), it was similar to Mulder's.

And yeah, she does show up again. Their last conversation, before she committed suicide in season 7, was about Samantha, and how Mulder should let go and move on with his life.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Wasn't that guy from Frasier there too? A real must-see-tv power-hour, that one.

Xander Berkeley? He's been in pretty much everything, most prominently 24 and Nikita, but I don't think he was ever in Frasier. He's an excellent character actor, though. X-Files fans should check out The Booth at the End, if you haven't already.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Jose posted:

I also like all of the actors i've seen in a bunch of stuff when they were young. Mark Pellegrino being the most recent one

Whoa, I never realized that was Mark Pellegrino in that episode. Well, I'm going to have to watch "Hungry" again. The X-Files is a great show to watch if you want to become really good at playing six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Was that a Roswell flashback I saw? Holy poo poo I am so excited for this. CSM retcon (or whatever crazy explanation they give for his survival/resurrection), this looks amazing.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

It's funny to look back at a year and a half ago when we started this thread. At that time, we were pessimistic about the idea of this series ever getting re-released in HD. Now we're talking about a brand new season ("that will never happen") that has already been filmed and will be aired in a couple months. I couldn't possibly be more excited.

To the poster who's doing the viewing party: first, I'm stealing your idea. Second, I would absolutely start with the pilot and Deep Throat. Home is an excellent choice, especially this time of year. But I would top it off with Bad Blood. It's such a great comedic episode, and at that point, your friends will have a pretty good enough idea of what the chemistry is like between Mulder and Scully that they will appreciate it. Those four episodes are a great sampling of what The X-files has to offer. Beyond the Sea is an exceptional episode, but I think it takes 2 or 3 viewings to truly appreciate it.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

bad episode with the best ending

Indeed.

I'm a huge X-Files fanboy and apologist, and that was pretty meh. We've been through this whole "it's not aliens, it's a conspiracy of men" thing before. It's a strange choice, and honestly, disappointing that they're basically rehashing that with a current events twist. Although, I did enjoy Mulder's X-Files unifying theory speech in the same way I enjoy a Metal Gear game. It's so batshit insane that it's actually entertaining.

Let's be honest, we were mostly looking forward to the MOTW episodes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Okay, this is more like it. You can absolutely tell James Wong wrote and directed this episode. Everything felt right. I even sort of liked the William parts

I re-watched the first episode sans commercial breaks. It's still not very... good, but it isn't as bad as I had originally thought. The pacing problems were somewhat solved by not watching it live with commercials; it made a bit more sense. But good god, some of the dialogue is atrociously cringe-worthy. You can absolutely tell Chris Carter wrote and directed that episode.

• Locked thread