Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

No crafting unless it reaches 2,500,000. I doubt it will make this and I don't see myself very interested in it without it even having crafting. Also at 1,600,000 it says "Create your own user interface. Share it with others, sell it through the ingame store." Does this mean that this is a subscription based mmo with an ingame store? Can't say this game seems appealing.

Edit: And no pvp until 3,800,000

Elmon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Brad mentioned on rerolled that he will probably treat PvP like he did back in the EQ days, a server or a few servers that are PvP focused.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Peechka posted:

Brad mentioned on rerolled that he will probably treat PvP like he did back in the EQ days, a server or a few servers that are PvP focused.

He also stated they're reworking the Stretch goals based on feedback.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?
We have seen what Brad did with a massive budget when he released vanguard. I cant even imagine how terrible this is going to be with only 800k.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Yeah, it's worth mentioning that he is responding to feedback, they just seemed to not have a plan to mobilize people when the kickstarter first went live. There was a weird 20 hour period where we just didn't hear anything, and then they started posting on the KS page/RR/etc.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

tehfeer posted:

We have seen what Brad did with a massive budget when he released vanguard. I cant even imagine how terrible this is going to be with only 800k.

Massive? He spent about 30 mill in Vanguard and most of it he said was wrapped up in the in-house engine they developed, and of course art assets. This time he is using unity engine.

Also, the initial $800 is only to get things going. He said he will be pursuing other funding when the goal is reached. But now with ammo to build a game like we want, not like the publishers or the backers want it (probably WoWified)

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Peechka posted:

Massive? He spent about 30 mill in Vanguard and most of it he said was wrapped up in the in-house engine they developed
From what I recall, that engine was a heavily modified Unreal Engine 2.5 using some UE3 renderer code.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Peechka posted:

Brad mentioned on rerolled that he will probably treat PvP like he did back in the EQ days
Ah, so they're going to ignore it then.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Itzena posted:

We can only hope.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Probably enough attention to fix egregious exploits but not enough to actually care about making it rewarding past the 'you get to kill PCs and force people out of camps/spawns you want'. Which I'm okay with, after spending limited time in EQ pvping it was very clear that it was not for me. It sure led to some interesting mechanics being discovered at least. And (rumored) anger nerfs to various items like pumice stones.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Cnaiur posted:

The Kickstarter just isn't that strong. I've backed Camelot Unchained in the past, and that had a lovely KS as well, but at least Mark Jacobs was all over the place spreading the gospel and answering questions on the KS page and MMO communities. I might be overlooking something, but I'm missing the passion I guess? It doesn't show that they are dying to develop an MMO for a specific niche. It sounds like, 'we want to do what we've done in the past, but with a twist'.

Still, I'd like them to actually make it and deliver, just to prove that lower cost MMO's are viable as well and able to deliver an ROI and a small but enthusiastic community.

Yeah I've gotta say he did not hype this up enough. It appeared out of no where to me. I pretty much forgive Brad for all the mistakes he made just because he gave me EQ, so I would imagine I would have known about this for quite some time. A few days ago, I had no idea this even existed. The only very small hint that this could have been a possibility was a tweet he made a few months ago where he mentioned being excited about a project after talking with Smed.

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

We believe we can make a world players will actually want to live in again, instead of a game people play when they have some spare time.

I'm not convinced he isn't still deluded from the shocking success of EQ. Like a lot of you (presumably) I spent an unhealthy amount of time on EQ growing up but thinking there's a large market of people who want to dedicate their entire life to a video game seems really misguided. I understand wanting to appeal to hardcore gamers, but things like having 40 people literally spend entire days of their life camping a dragon spawn should never happen again. I'm not talking days cumulatively, either. When epic weapons were introduced in EQ we literally had a rotation of people doing nothing but sitting in a dungeon with even more people 'on-call' if the dragon spawned. Does any sane adult really want this type of 'gameplay' back?

quote:

You’ll also see where the NPC’s spells and abilities are going to land and have an opportunity to avoid the attack.

Ah, yes, truly refreshing idea.

Ceythos
Jan 16, 2014

Itzena posted:

Not if I have anything to say about it ;)

Just wanted to introduce myself and say a brief hello. I'm Ceythos, one of the senior designers on Pantheon. Some of you may know me from my time on Vanguard (good to see you again!), and the others I look forward to getting to know as we work on our project.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and support so far. We're reading through your feedback, and while we might not be able to respond to each question or concern directly or right away, we're definitely keeping an eye on it.

-Ceythos

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

DeathbyMisadventure posted:

but thinking there's a large market of people who want to dedicate their entire life to a video game seems really misguided.

That's the purpose of this - he's not looking for a large market. He's looking for the niche market. The kickstarter is to see if there's enough interest for it be valid even in that niche market.

rhinohelix
Aug 19, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't think that anyone is arguing for that level of time sink back; the intent is to have at least breathers to give folks time to socialize and bond. This wasn't part of the EQ formula by design but it was another of those happy accidents, like Monk FD pulling, et al. that evolved from player response to the mechanics. That is more along the lines of what they talk about bringing to this game: A slower pace, in both combat and leveling; a richer, more complicated, open world; defined roles; stronger risk vs. reward in terms of world danger; and social, non-instanced dungeons.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
I am part of the niche market for a modern-day EverQuest. One thing that will absolutely kill any interest I have in this game is the inclusion of a WoW-style quest system. Unfortunately, the information we have right now is far too vague for me to consider backing it.

Ceythos
Jan 16, 2014

returnh posted:

I am part of the niche market for a modern-day EverQuest. One thing that will absolutely kill any interest I have in this game is the inclusion of a WoW-style quest system. Unfortunately, the information we have right now is far too vague for me to consider backing it.

The focus is going to be less quests, but more quality/challenge when there are quests. Less 'kill x-mobs', or 'go deliver this letter to this guy 50 ft from me' stuff. Think of the epics from Eq1 or some of the key quests - that's more what we want from our quest system in Pantheon.

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

~AVOIDING DESIGN MISTAKES ONE MONTHLY FORUM FEE AT A TIME~

Honestly, Pantheon isn't getting made but I really don't want to get a real job. Not that anyone would hire me anyway.

LOCATE CORPSE ON MY CAREER PLZ

Meow Tse-tung posted:

The only thing I'm not too happy about is bard being a 3 million dollar stretch goal. I want to be a bard again and that feels like extortion :(. Otherwise, I think the tiers are kind of poorly designed, and he shouldn't limit the $45 one since I think that's what most people will bite on.

We may update the stretch goals fairly soon based on feedback.

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

Honestly, Pantheon isn't getting made but I really don't want to get a real job. Not that anyone would hire me anyway.

Node posted:

Yeah I've gotta say he did not hype this up enough. It appeared out of no where to me. I pretty much forgive Brad for all the mistakes he made just because he gave me EQ, so I would imagine I would have known about this for quite some time. A few days ago, I had no idea this even existed. The only very small hint that this could have been a possibility was a tweet he made a few months ago where he mentioned being excited about a project after talking with Smed.

You're right -- we didn't reach out enough before KS launch.

We are reaching out now :)

-Brad

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Aradune posted:

-Brad

Yeah, you should have had a good month (or two) of buildup and info drops before setting up the Kickstarter to build interest.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Aradune posted:

-Brad

Hey, welcome, dude. Good luck on the kickstarter.

Quick question for you, back in the EQ days I remember the talking point that EQ was more of a "world" than a game. Is that one of the design goals for this new game is to create more of an immersive world as opposed to a themepark game?

EDIT: Regarding the bard thing, real support classes are the kind of thing that's been missing from modern MMOs for too long.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Best of all the have the dude on their team that designed some of the old school dungeons, like old Sebilis. So no more L and C shaped instances.

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

Lemon King posted:

From what I recall, that engine was a heavily modified Unreal Engine 2.5 using some UE3 renderer code.

It was mostly 2.5 but then our programmers had to gut a lot of things to make the world seamless. And we also added bump mapping and some other shader tech that 2.5 didn't have.

Using Unity this time around, we're going to avoid all of this, which is why I've been saying we can do this in 3 years with one of those years being beta testing. Less money and less time spent in the guts of an engine FTW.

The game is zoned based and it's really easy to add shaders to Unity.

-Brad

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

Tarq posted:

Hey, welcome, dude. Good luck on the kickstarter.

Quick question for you, back in the EQ days I remember the talking point that EQ was more of a "world" than a game. Is that one of the design goals for this new game is to create more of an immersive world as opposed to a themepark game?

EDIT: Regarding the bard thing, real support classes are the kind of thing that's been missing from modern MMOs for too long.

Agree on the Bard.

I do think EQ 1 was more of a world than a game. That's also our plan with Pantheon. This is the way I put it: it's a sand box (open world) with lots of little themeparks within that sand box (quests, certain dungeons, a bit of instanced content, etc.)

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

Peechka posted:

Best of all the have the dude on their team that designed some of the old school dungeons, like old Sebilis. So no more L and C shaped instances.

Indeed! Vu is awesome. We're already sketching out some of our first dungeons. We hope to have some pics of its layout in the next week or so to share with you guys.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Peechka posted:

That is a good question, what are the plans for dungeons? Will the paths be linear straight to the exit or multi-level behemoths that I can get lost for days in?

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

Itzena posted:

No, we're going to make sure that if we implement it, it's done correctly and isn't just band-aided into the game as an afterthought (e.g. EQ).

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

Ceythos posted:

The focus is going to be less quests, but more quality/challenge when there are quests. Less 'kill x-mobs', or 'go deliver this letter to this guy 50 ft from me' stuff. Think of the epics from Eq1 or some of the key quests - that's more what we want from our quest system in Pantheon.

That sounds cool. I just don't want another game where questing is what you do to level. :)

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

jabro posted:

That is a good question, what are the plans for dungeons? Will the paths be linear straight to the exit or multi-level behemoths that I can get lost for days in?

Yep, old school huge dungeons you can get lost in.

One of the artists on board with us made Sebilis and other awesome zones for EQ 1.

Ensis
Nov 13, 2003
On the banks of the Red Cedar...
I'm all aboard for a modern-style EQ MMO, assuming it stays true to its predecessor. Bring back the danger. Bring back the experience loss. And bring back downtime-by-design; that's all great stuff.

However, I'm also expecting to see grouping as a necessity in order to advance at a steady or optimal rate. As convenient as it has been, I'm not a fan of how recent games have emphasized 'accessibility', which generally has meant allowing players to solo through the leveling phase of a game as quickly, or even quicker, than those that choose to group thanks to weak MOBs, character classes that can 'do it all', and quests that provide a majority of experience.

Unless it involves quad- or charm-kiting hill giants. That's still cool in my book.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Convenience is nice and all but I have fond memories of making runs from Freeport to Qeynos as a noob with no money (or high level friends who could port me) and being scared out of my balls making the trip thru Kith forest. There was quite a sense of accomplishment when I'd finally make it to the city.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I think you can have danger and challenge without the game actively hating you for playing it. As fun as the dark souls style experience is, sometimes I don't want to spend the few precious hours I have nowadays playing games to go get my head kicked in by some jackass training me and then the resultant corpse run. I would very much welcome a more social experience in MMOs though, I do miss that. In more games today the people are replaceable cogs, the dungeons are basically loot circles and the loot tends to be uninspiring. If it's EQ with some modern touches I'd be down but I have zero urge to play EQ with a facelift. I do understand the allure for some though.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Aradune posted:

Yep, old school huge dungeons you can get lost in.

One of the artists on board with us made Sebilis and other awesome zones for EQ 1.

Awesome. I absolutely loved Vanguard, despite the obvious problems. I subscribed to the game for quite a while and would just get lost exploring the world, the dungeons, and everything else. I thought the open, massive dungeons were amazing. Unfortunately, I had no idea what an MMO was when EQ was released, so I sadly missed out on that. If you're able to successfully deliver that experience to an entirely new generation of gamers, that would be amazing.

One of the most important things to me in an MMO is when zones are re-used frequently. What I mean by that is once you finish the quests and dungeons in the area, you don't just move on and forget about it forever. Zone persistence hands down creates that "world" feeling everyone talks about (I believe FFXI did this best). Most current gen games have you finish the questline for an area, and lead you to another area to complete never looking back. What do you have planned for Pantheon?

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010
When did it change from fohguild to rerolled?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Aradune posted:

-Brad

Oh my gosh, an idol of mine posting in my thread. I need to add some pics and videos to the OP. Got a few links for me sir?

I played EQ since beta phase 4, and still do - Edrick. I still have my CD and letter. I really wish you luck. I'm probably going to bump up my pledge now. But definitely - reach out more. I would bet that if everyone that played EQ from classic to PoP knew about Pantheon, you'd have quite a substantially larger fund on your kickstarter page.

Let me know if you want any other information added to the first post.

Ceythos
Jan 16, 2014

G Prestige posted:

One of the most important things to me in an MMO is when zones are re-used frequently. What I mean by that is once you finish the quests and dungeons in the area, you don't just move on and forget about it forever. Zone persistence hands down creates that "world" feeling everyone talks about (I believe FFXI did this best). Most current gen games have you finish the questline for an area, and lead you to another area to complete never looking back. What do you have planned for Pantheon?

I can't like this enough. When I've played more current MMO's, a lot of them had you do 3-5 quests and send you on your way without allowing you to form a connection in the first place, let alone give you a reason to return. Our goal is to design a world where you'll want to explore (and be rewarded for it), but you'll also want to return to places you've previously visited. Simply put, we want an emphasis on the world being a world again and less of a 'game'.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Bemis posted:

When did it change from fohguild to rerolled?

Dude that was hosting it was too busy I guess or some poo poo like that and the site became infected with some virus or something. So another dude, Draegan form the Junkies Nation said he would host it so we all moved.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 16, 2014

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Node posted:

Oh my gosh, an idol of mine posting in my thread. I need to add some pics and videos to the OP. Got a few links for me sir?

I played EQ since beta phase 4, and still do - Edrick. I still have my CD and letter. I really wish you luck. I'm probably going to bump up my pledge now. But definitely - reach out more. I would bet that if everyone that played EQ from classic to PoP knew about Pantheon, you'd have quite a substantially larger fund on your kickstarter page.

Let me know if you want any other information added to the first post.

Should definitely link to the kickstarter -> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

OP reform coming after raids are done, and if I can get any suggestions from the man himself. when I wake up tomorrow and get back from school

Node fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Aradune posted:

I do think EQ 1 was more of a world than a game. That's also our plan with Pantheon. This is the way I put it: it's a sand box (open world) with lots of little themeparks within that sand box (quests, certain dungeons, a bit of instanced content, etc.)

Tell me more about the "bit of instanced content" because that sounds rather non-committal. I remember EQ days when particular guilds would literally own raids and bosses. If you tried to raid without their approval, they would just zone in and kill the boss before you could, due to lack of instancing. Multiply that times the number of quests that involved killing the "Goblin High Shaman" or what have you, and there is an innate disregard for the player who can log in for an hour, maybe two, a couple nights each week.

What design decisions are being made to permit people who don't play your game full-time to be able to compete with those who do, or are you even trying to affect the non-hardcore market?

• Locked thread