Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Fendahleen posted:

Please, this is all old news.

Heyseus had to grind for a straight fortnight to cast out the 2000 demons he needed for his left rubicite bracer, had to take a number for exorcism groups in the Karanas, you know how it was. Smug gently caress running the bank kept pulling that 'render unto Ceasar' line, too.

He doesn't sound like much of a prophet. I mean, I haven't heard of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I did a brief glancing through of another developer of Pantheon on facebook who is a devout Christian, talks with people about how their dev team is (mostly) Xian, and believes that alien space ships hide in clouds.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

quote:

“There is an account in the Bible where Jesus casts out 2,000 demons out of a man. The demons came out screaming and begged Jesus to send them into the pigs. The pigs didn’t want them, so they ran down a steep hill and were drowned in the sea.”

That is one alternative to Mark 5 that leaves out the most important part of the parable.

Mark 5 posted:

They went across the lake to the region of the Gerasenes.[a] 2 When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an impure spirit came from the tombs to meet him. 3 This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain. 4 For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. 5 Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.

6 When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. 7 He shouted at the top of his voice, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In God’s name don’t torture me!” 8 For Jesus had said to him, “Come out of this man, you impure spirit!”

9 Then Jesus asked him, “What is your name?”

“My name is Legion,” he replied, “for we are many.” 10 And he begged Jesus again and again not to send them out of the area.

11 A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. 12 The demons begged Jesus, “Send us among the pigs; allow us to go into them.” 13 He gave them permission, and the impure spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned.

14 Those tending the pigs ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, and the people went out to see what had happened. 15 When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons, sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. 16 Those who had seen it told the people what had happened to the demon-possessed man—and told about the pigs as well. 17 Then the people began to plead with Jesus to leave their region.

And for what's missing, I point to a very good analysis:

Waiter Rant posted:

“When the people in the town hear about the pigs going into the drink they’re terrified. They go tell Jesus to take a hike. They don’t want him anywhere near their city.”

“Why?” Beth [coworker of the blogger Waiter Rant] asks.

I sigh and look at my watch, “Are you up for a mini theology lesson?”

Beth smiles. “I’ve got nothing better to do,” she says.

“What were Jews doing raising pigs?” I ask.

“Huh?” Beth says.

“Pigs are unclean animals. Jews are not supposed to eat them. Why is there a herd of pigs outside of a Jewish town?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well, there were non kosher people living in Israel at that time too; Roman soldiers, Greeks, Phoenicians. Someone in that town was selling those pigs to make money.”

“I don’t follow,” Beth says.

“Bottom line,” I say, “That herd of pigs was somebody’s business.”

“Ok.”

“And Jesus destroyed that business without a second thought. Destroyed it for someone he didn’t even know.”

“Wow.”

“What do you think would happen if a Holy Man came along and cured Claude [a homeless man who hung out near the restaurant where the blogger used to work] of his demons – but destroyed the Bistro in the process?”

“I’d be out of a job.”

“Would you like that?”

“No.”

“Does that jibe with how you think of God?” I ask, “Him throwing you out of work?”

“Not at all.”

“But that’s precisely what happened with the pigs. You better believe the guy tending those pigs lost his job. Maybe he caught a beating too.”

“That’s not a very nice thing for God to do,” Beth says.

“Beth,” I reply, “God isn’t always nice.”

“Guess not.”

“The world places no value in people like Claude and the possessed man,” I say, “What do you think they’re worth?”

“I don’t know,”

“To us they’re nothing. But to God they’re everything.”

Beth is silent.

“I think God’s sense of economy is very different from our own – so different it’s scary. To him the plight of one vagrant is more important than all the money in the world. And He’ll plunder our treasure to save him.”

“That would piss people off,” Beth says.

“You bet it would,” I reply, “But maybe we get pissed because we realize we’ve been investing in the wrong kind of treasure. If we all acted like human beings, if our treasure was compassion, people like Claude might have it a little easier.”

“True.”

“The townspeople, instead of being happy that their brother was saved, send Jesus away. They’re only interested in maintaining the status quo and their own comfort. They’re unwilling to open their hearts. So, in the end, the townspeople were possessed by demons far worse than anything inside Legion. That’s the true meaning of the story.”

http://waiterrant.net/?p=190

The important part was that it was more important to God to save one homeless dude than an entire economy of a town.

Ezekial 16 posted:

Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ezekiel+16:49-50

Nothing mentioned about homosexuality, nor sodomy, just the identical obesity to modern Americans and the identical hatred of welfare the poor that we see in modern politics. I frequently wonder if so-called Christians have actually read the Bible.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

I did a brief glancing through of another developer of Pantheon on facebook who is a devout Christian, talks with people about how their dev team is (mostly) Xian, and believes that alien space ships hide in clouds.

Yea staying up for 3 days straight on meth with brad will have you seeing weird poo poo like that.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Huttan posted:

I frequently wonder if so-called Christians have actually read the Bible.
Don't be so narrow: for many devout Christians no amount of credible (let alone source) material on anything (science, historical facts of Jesus's Reagan's Presidency, etc.) can disprove the unassailable truth within their heads that was placed there before they learned how to reason.

Reading is for chumps; their understanding of the Bible explains why they're right about every social, scientific, and other issue known to man so why would they need to actually read it? If only they could convince everyone how right they are, the Christian Gaming Industry would be going places... they could convince everyone else to see their Visions.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Huttan posted:

I frequently wonder if so-called Christians have actually read the Bible.

A lot of them don't like this new-fangled homo-friendly pope, either. Thanks for sharing the fantastic analysis!

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
You would think if a prophet turned up they would be able to pay the staff

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I'd rather they didn't read the bible. Christians are bad enough as-is. Don't need any perverted ancient Jewish ideas to make them even worse.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoy MMOs where you have to go to bible study to understand their development.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Huttan posted:

That is one alternative to Mark 5 that leaves out the most important part of the parable.

And for what's missing, I point to a very good analysis:

http://waiterrant.net/?p=190

The important part was that it was more important to God to save one homeless dude than an entire economy of a town.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ezekiel+16:49-50

Nothing mentioned about homosexuality, nor sodomy, just the identical obesity to modern Americans and the identical hatred of welfare the poor that we see in modern politics. I frequently wonder if so-called Christians have actually read the Bible.

God might have saved everyone a whole lot of trouble if he hadn't created any demons in the first place.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
When is God Online coming out?

I want to spec in the Leviticus tree.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Zvim posted:

When is God Online coming out?

I want to spec in the Leviticus tree.

Chump move, new testament spec is where it's at. Everyone knows Leviticus gets nerfed.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

In fifteen years at the yearly Quaidcon, held in Brad's garage where it all started, there will be pictures like this of the early bible engine that Pantheon used. We will all reminiscent of how silly we were to distrust an opiate addict to create a MMO with the help of a fundamentalist group and a ton of stolen prescription medication.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
Hey guys! You can give more money to Brad through Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/Aradune

Pay $20 or more "per video & screenshots" ... If you really want to support Brad's drugs MMO, you can get your name added to the credits at the end of the next video he makes by paying just $200. Hell, pay $300 and you can even name the character you see in the video!!!!

:downs:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midrena posted:

Hey guys! You can give more money to Brad through Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/Aradune

Pay $20 or more "per video & screenshots" ... If you really want to support Brad's drugs MMO, you can get your name added to the credits at the end of the next video he makes by paying just $200. Hell, pay $300 and you can even name the character you see in the video!!!!

jesus christ

he must be more drugs than man

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that being said, I would unironically enjoy a christian MMO

just think of all the poo poo that could be stirred in a game like that

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Eonwe posted:

just think of all the poo poo that could be stirred in a game like that

Would guild drama resulting in splinters be called denominational splits?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Midrena posted:

3 people were stupid enough to give him money.

How can anyone still have trust in this rear end in a top hat?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
If I may be so bold as to point out that there are three people on his 'development team,' trusting that whosits hasn't chased them all out for being the evil gays or something.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Sparkles left the project after she was asked to please stop chasing away the cash cows try and be tolerant towards other worldviews and she refused. You can read about that tirefire and more (if you don't value your time):

http://www.visionsgame.com/archives/452

Of note: The 'estranged son' also is on the pantheon dev team, I think. So I can only imagine the insane drama.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 20, 2014

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Sparkles left the project after she was asked to please stop chasing away the cash cows try and be tolerant towards other worldviews and she refused. You can read about that tirefire and more (if you don't value your time):

Of note: The 'estranged son' also is on the pantheon dev team, I think. So I can only imagine the insane drama.

I cant wait for this jesus mmo to come out.
God bless.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Midrena posted:

Wow he actually supports Shalinor on Patreon, a goon game dev

That's actually kinda cool

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Man I really wanna get my name slapped on some lovely video of stock assets :cripes:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Hexel posted:

Man I really wanna get my name slapped on some lovely video of stock assets :cripes:

I'll do it for you for half the price he is charging.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

jabro posted:

I'll do it for you for half the price he is charging.

If I can get a Founder title ingame I'm sold. Kinda sad about Sparkle getting the boot, her drama was one of the best things about this game that will never be made.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

down with slavery posted:

Wow he actually supports Shalinor on Patreon, a goon game dev

That's actually kinda cool

Sounds like Brad just got a fourth patron! Good on you.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

Sounds like Brad just got a fourth patron! Good on you.

Lol

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I am disappointed she didn't turn the other cheek.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zvim posted:

I am disappointed she didn't turn the other cheek.

Have you ever met a Christian

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Node posted:

Have you ever met a Christian

But... they take the written word literally, which is why dinosaur fossils are only 6,000 years old.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

New video posted for their "November Update". I highly recommend checking out this particular segment of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzSFuHBRdNU&t=464s

I can't even begin to imagine putting that on YouTube as a sizzle trailer. This disaster just continues to provide so much entertainment. Although, to be honest, I'm a little bit saddened to know that you can be a failed MMO developer with one success behind you and get the community to fund your insane dream for ages. That's a little bit depressing.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
They did it. They managed to make combat look clunkier and more awkward than EQ1. Slow motion PC thrusts plus awkwardly flopping around mobs and busy damage effects has finally brought us a REAL old school MMO. God bless you Brad. God bless us all.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

aparmenideanmonad posted:

They did it. They managed to make combat look clunkier and more awkward than EQ1. Slow motion PC thrusts plus awkwardly flopping around mobs and busy damage effects has finally brought us a REAL old school MMO. God bless you Brad. God bless us all.

They are stock Unity animations which are being used until they get funding. WHICH THEY WILL. Then we'll see mo-capped animations for humanoids, horses, and kraken.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they are kind of following the tradition of wildstar

hey remember this thing you guys liked 10+ years ago

ok well cool, we know gaming has evolved since then but we're going to make a clunkier and less fun version of that old game you liked one time

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Wildstar was marketed towards people nostalgic for vanilla WoW. Pantheon is marketed towards people nostalgic for Everquest. So yeah, pretty much. Although Pantheon seems to also have a dash of opiate addiction and Christian evangelicalism mixed in with the big old helping of nostalgia.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Wildstar was marketed towards people nostalgic for vanilla WoW. Pantheon is marketed towards people nostalgic for Everquest. So yeah, pretty much. Although Pantheon seems to also have a dash of opiate addiction and Christian evangelicalism mixed in with the big old helping of nostalgia.

Nostalgic EQ people just play P99 this looks like poo poo.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I don't know why, but the top comment form the Pantheon youtube account on this video made me laugh my rear end off.

That right there? That's loving video game trailer artistry, you plebs.

EDIT: And apparently there aren't any weapon models? I just popped into an earlier part of the video and the combat log is saying a Seductive Sorceress is wielding a Rusty LongSword, but she's got a fancy bat staff in her mitts. Even EQ got that right. :psyduck:

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 2, 2014

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Pathos posted:

New video posted for their "November Update". I highly recommend checking out this particular segment of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzSFuHBRdNU&t=464s

I can't even begin to imagine putting that on YouTube as a sizzle trailer. This disaster just continues to provide so much entertainment. Although, to be honest, I'm a little bit saddened to know that you can be a failed MMO developer with one success behind you and get the community to fund your insane dream for ages. That's a little bit depressing.

Ultima 9 looks like a loving John Woo film when compared to this. I couldn't be happier.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I think this might actually be what a lot of their "niche" wants: it looks like a graphical diku-mud circa 2014. It looks very "/autoattack on, press a spell every now and then". Compared to stuff like wow's coordinated dancing while doing your optimal rotation. Give them a shitload of CC-based dungeon crawls, insane timesinks, make it solo unfriendly as poo poo, and let them stand around in EC tunnel more than they play and I bet some people will be happy.

E: And travel time. Oldschool players loving love waiting on boats. Brad if you are reading this just make a game where everyone waits on boats, and when the boat finally gets there they wait for another boat that takes them back to the first dock. Also add some elf hoes. Make the first expansion, Pantheon: Boats and Hoes. TIA

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

E: And travel time. Oldschool players loving love waiting on boats. Brad if you are reading this just make a game where everyone waits on boats, and when the boat finally gets there they wait for another boat that takes them back to the first dock. Also add some elf hoes. Make the first expansion, Pantheon: Boats and Hoes. TIA

You forgot the part where somewhere around the midway point, the boat dives under the water, throwing you off in the middle of the ocean where you then die and can't recover your corpse - because when you die all your poo poo stays on your corpse so you have to get back to it in order to not lose all your poo poo.

• Locked thread