Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

The Locator posted:

You forgot the part where somewhere around the midway point, the boat dives under the water, throwing you off in the middle of the ocean where you then die and can't recover your corpse - because when you die all your poo poo stays on your corpse so you have to get back to it in order to not lose all your poo poo.

That's the stretch goal for 7 million dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I think this might actually be what a lot of their "niche" wants: it looks like a graphical diku-mud circa 2014. It looks very "/autoattack on, press a spell every now and then". Compared to stuff like wow's coordinated dancing while doing your optimal rotation. Give them a shitload of CC-based dungeon crawls, insane timesinks, make it solo unfriendly as poo poo, and let them stand around in EC tunnel more than they play and I bet some people will be happy.

E: And travel time. Oldschool players loving love waiting on boats. Brad if you are reading this just make a game where everyone waits on boats, and when the boat finally gets there they wait for another boat that takes them back to the first dock. Also add some elf hoes. Make the first expansion, Pantheon: Boats and Hoes. TIA

For a long rear end time in EQ1, you could break boats easily by targeting them and casting a run speed buff (spirit of the wolf) on them. The boat would desync and it would just leave without you. IIRC once you did it a guide had to come fix it. There was a span of about 3 months where the boats were straight up gone and teleporter npcs were in their place.

This is still probably better than what's going to happen in Pantheon.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The best was when you crashed to desktop zoning into the destination and by the time you got back online the boat was back in OoT. :psypop:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Eonwe posted:

they are kind of following the tradition of wildstar

hey remember this thing you guys liked 10+ years ago

ok well cool, we know gaming has evolved since then but we're going to make a clunkier and less fun version of that old game you liked one time
Not sure I'd call Wildstar clunkier (I liked the feel of it mechanically a lot) and less fun (it was a mix of cool stuff and stale old MMO fare with probably more of the latter) than Vanilla WoW having played it a fair amount in closed beta. Note: beta opinion, while they were hiding the shitshow that endgame apparently turned out to be.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Make the first expansion, Pantheon: Boats and Hoes. TIA
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa! Let's not get ahead of ourselves, you have to make a game to release a game; you have to release a game to make an expansion for it.

As Brad's therapist said: "focus on putting one foot in front of the other or else you might get distracted and see your employee unpaid developer has some prescription drugs and be tempted to take and use them."

Largepotato posted:

The best was when you crashed to desktop zoning into the destination and by the time you got back online the boat was back in OoT. :psypop:
Counterpoint, the best was: you have too slow of a computer so half the times you load into (or out of) OoT, the boat is already gone without you so you drown (or get murdered by a random level 50-some sea creature) and have to do a corpse run and try to get back on the boat.

Also, let us not forget the best "feature" of all to complement: literally losing XP when you die (even if due to game malfunction) so not only did it cost money and time, but you could de-level from it or at the very least needed to regain the lost XP (at an atrociously slow leveling rate). This made dying multiple times to get to safety the best!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

bUm posted:

Also, let us not forget the best "feature" of all to complement: literally losing XP when you die (even if due to game malfunction) so not only did it cost money and time, but you could de-level from it or at the very least needed to regain the lost XP (at an atrociously slow leveling rate). This made dying multiple times to get to safety the best!

Don't forget "Hell levels", where they just arbitrarily made some levels harder to gain and added even larger penalties for dying.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

down with slavery posted:

Don't forget "Hell levels", where they just arbitrarily made some levels harder to gain and added even larger penalties for dying.

I think I read something somewhere saying that hell levels were an unintended consequence of the exp/leveling algorithms. Which kind of makes it even more hilarious.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Eonwe posted:

they are kind of following the tradition of wildstar

hey remember this thing you guys liked 10+ years ago

ok well cool, we know gaming has evolved since then but we're going to make a clunkier and less fun version of that old game you liked one time

I have an every so sneaky feeling that blizzard made molten core the 10th anniversary event just so they could point to it in future and shout 'You were wrong, look how bad the game actually was back then'. Reminding the player base how much progress has been made in endgame content to shut all the whiners up.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

bUm posted:

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa! Let's not get ahead of ourselves, you have to make a game to release a game; you have to release a game to make an expansion for it.

Let me tell you about Star Citizen...

down with slavery posted:

Hell levels were essentially a bug they never bothered to fix because the lead designer thought they were cool. Sort of like corpse physics in Dark Souls but stupid. They are a the result of wanting to be able to tune the exp curve at different levels separately. But instead of spreading extra exp out over the 5 levels they cover, all of the extra exp is required in the first level.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Wasn't it EQ where the boats were originally actually creatures, and so they had an inventory. So some enterprising designer decided that to make the boats go slow enough, they'd just put a really heavy rock into their inventory.

And then a rogue discovered you could pickpocket the rock out of the boat's inventory and it'd shoot off across the world.

That's one of the things I do miss in current WOW. There's no more unintended, "mysterious" stuff like that around. Everything is really neatly controlled and you never get to see behind the scenes, so to speak.

Like the game is better for it, it's nice not to randomly fall through the world, but it was also nice to fall through the world, know what I mean?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Byolante posted:

I have an every so sneaky feeling that blizzard made molten core the 10th anniversary event just so they could point to it in future and shout 'You were wrong, look how bad the game actually was back then'. Reminding the player base how much progress has been made in endgame content to shut all the whiners up.
Having, prior to the last couple months, not played WoW seriously (couple failed attempts to even make max level) since vanilla: it really is like night and day to see the interim content. Also, Molten Core is extra bad without VOIP to talk about all sorts of crap while mindlessly smashing through droves of trash.

Roflan posted:

Hell levels were essentially a bug they never bothered to fix because the lead designer thought they were cool. Sort of like corpse physics in Dark Souls but stupid. They are a the result of wanting to be able to tune the exp curve at different levels separately. But instead of spreading extra exp out over the 5 levels they cover, all of the extra exp is required in the first level.
I had never heard this and it's hilarious. Way to suck rear end at math old EQ devs.

megalodong posted:

That's one of the things I do miss in current WOW. There's no more unintended, "mysterious" stuff like that around. Everything is really neatly controlled and you never get to see behind the scenes, so to speak.

Like the game is better for it, it's nice not to randomly fall through the world, but it was also nice to fall through the world, know what I mean?
My friend fell through the world in Draenor exploring the Iron Docks area in northern Gorgrond (in the world, not in the instance). That was in the first few days though, they might've fixed it (not that he reported it).

I remember in vanilla WoW when you could backdoor your way into Hyjal and they had some construction signs and stuff set up. That was neat, they should've done the same with Tanaan Jungle.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I think I read something somewhere saying that hell levels were an unintended consequence of the exp/leveling algorithms. Which kind of makes it even more hilarious.

Yes, they denied the hell levels existed for ages until someone defied them with addition and subtraction skillz. Then they became a 'feature' because that was easier than fixing it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Zvim posted:

Yes, they denied the hell levels existed for ages until someone defied them with addition and subtraction skillz. Then they became a 'feature' because that was easier than fixing it.

"Working as intended," the Everquest mantra.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
They fixed them eventually, but it wasn't until Luclin or so.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Anyone still in the loop with Pantheon? Has Brad absconded with the last of the development fund yet?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Anyone still in the loop with Pantheon? Has Brad absconded with the last of the development fund yet?

We're getting regular updates on Facebook. Stop asking for so much. Geez.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Node posted:

We're getting regular updates on Facebook. Stop asking for so much. Geez.

We have Lolore now

http://www.thekeepersvault.com/on-keeping/

quote:

This is not meant to be a memoir. Yet, I must share some things about myself.

A few friends of merit have noted that I am in fact reaching the evening of life, and despite the incidental rudeness, I consider prudent their advice to compose a trove of missives directing the well-inclined on how to account for this, my humble “vault” of the history of Terminus - and a few things beyond."

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Vanguard was actually a really great game, I think I came to it late when issues were fixed maybe, but what I played was really fantastic and it is probably one of the unluckiest things that it didn't become a WoW competitor. On the other hand, they did release it broken by all accounts so that's pretty incompetent.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

Umph posted:

Vanguard was actually a really great game, I think I came to it late when issues were fixed maybe, but what I played was really fantastic and it is probably one of the unluckiest things that it didn't become a WoW competitor. On the other hand, they did release it broken by all accounts so that's pretty incompetent.

When I played Vanguard at launch, it was buggy as hell, crashed all the time and was just generally laggy. And that was on a high end machine for the time. Then there was travel being even more of a chore than EQ in an even larger world. Plus leveling was so slow you could complete every bit of content in an area, go on to the next area the previous place pointed you to, and be way too low. I think I got to level 20 after a month of playing and called it quits.

Went back to it to try it out later that year and it was a lot better. Then they kept improving it bit by bit. If it had been released as it was a year after launch it never would have flopped and would still be around, though I doubt it would have been a serious competitor for WoW.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Didn't help that VG launched with no content past level 35 or so. You quite simply ran out and had to basically grind up to 50. I don't think there were even any dungeons itemized past that level either. They were there but didn't actually give you anything.

Sony fixed the game up greatly but by then the damage had already been done and it never really recovered.

The stories from ex-devs were great though - no scripting engine for designers to create dungeon battles, all the UE stuff ripped out because some lead guy didn't want anyone else's work in "their" project.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

A few days ago they decided to remove their store. https://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1651/pantheon-store-has-been-removed

Text for people who don't feel like clicking the link:

------------------------------

Pantheon Community,

Please be advised that we have removed the Pantheon store, the reasons behind this decisions were well discussed by the team and we feel that the store is not part of our vision for this site, especially at this early stage of Pantheons development cycle and we also feel the store was in need of a re-design and reevaluation of products sold if it were to be brought back online in the future, so based on those points the store has been removed.

We will however honour any purchases made from the store, so do not worry if you have purchased an item or pledge from the store, we will continue to honour those purchases. We will not however sell anything that could be mistaken for giving a player an advantage, so if we decide to bring the store back online or create a new one in the future, it will only stock Pantheon merchandise and fluff items that supporters can enjoy, no item sold will contain stats or any type of advantage over other players.

If you have any questions or concerns over items that you have already purchased, please do not hesitate to send me or another team member a Private Message (PM) as we are more than happy to help you.

I would also ask that you please refrain from creating a new thread about this news, as the decision is final and we are not currently taking any feedback on the matter, please refer all questions to a team member.

Thank you for the continued support!

---------------------------

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

That's probably not a terribly good sign.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Umph posted:

They just stuck one foot out the door.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Umph posted:

This entire project is not a terribly good sign. Forget the writing on the wall; the wall is made of writing, brick and mortar.

Remit
Nov 9, 2007
More than likely a member of the Christian Lawyer Defense League reached out to Brad during their weekly NA meeting and informed him of possible repercussions of being a thieving bastard.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Stupid Boob posted:

When I played Vanguard at launch, it was buggy as hell, crashed all the time and was just generally laggy. And that was on a high end machine for the time. Then there was travel being even more of a chore than EQ in an even larger world. Plus leveling was so slow you could complete every bit of content in an area, go on to the next area the previous place pointed you to, and be way too low. I think I got to level 20 after a month of playing and called it quits.

Went back to it to try it out later that year and it was a lot better. Then they kept improving it bit by bit. If it had been released as it was a year after launch it never would have flopped and would still be around, though I doubt it would have been a serious competitor for WoW.

The VG questline where you have to take part in a cover-up of killing zombified villagers by grinding them up in a mill will never. ever. be. topped.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

He should just shitcan this whole thing and go help the p99 guys finish velious. We can do a gofundme for his methadone or something.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

megalodong posted:

Didn't help that VG launched with no content past level 35 or so. You quite simply ran out and had to basically grind up to 50. I don't think there were even any dungeons itemized past that level either. They were there but didn't actually give you anything.

Yeah, this was an unfortunately huge thing. We weren't just talking about some generic "bloobloo this mmorpg launched a little light on high level raids and dungeons". There was just... nothing. No content whatsoever for the upper quarter of levels except some random higher level trash mobs here and there. That was never going to end well, which is a damned shame. I loved the world and the size of it in Vanguard.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

revenance posted:

The VG questline where you have to take part in a cover-up of killing zombified villagers by grinding them up in a mill will never. ever. be. topped.

There was a small "quest" on the northern part of Thestra, totally out of the way, on a bridge really loving high off the ground. As in, a person would look like an ant from your view. There was a small creek under it. There was a lone exclamation point on the bridge (where you got the "quest,") and the quest was to jump off the bridge and go through three rings on your way down. I missed the rings, and also missed the water, so I died horribly.

I thought that was such a cool thing, and it was completely in the middle of loving no where.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

As much as I'd love to see another game with dungeons the size of nusibe necropolis and the infineum plateau/sanctuary, lord knows it's not going to come from pantheon.

The VG emulator is coming along well though. No combat yet, but they have chat, vendors, skill training, banking etc. all working.

And Dargun's Tomb, that place owned. In fact I can't think of an actual bad dungeon in that game. They were all interesting designs. Like the cultist place where you had to actually /say the password to get in the portal to it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

megalodong posted:

As much as I'd love to see another game with dungeons the size of nusibe necropolis and the infineum plateau/sanctuary, lord knows it's not going to come from pantheon.

The VG emulator is coming along well though. No combat yet, but they have chat, vendors, skill training, banking etc. all working.

And Dargun's Tomb, that place owned. In fact I can't think of an actual bad dungeon in that game. They were all interesting designs. Like the cultist place where you had to actually /say the password to get in the portal to it.

There were still dungeons or secluded areas in Vanguard that were not mapped or understood at all when it shut down. Vanguard was seriously loving enormous, and it didn't achieve that at the expense of gigantic empty spaces in between the interesting ones.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Node posted:

There were still dungeons or secluded areas in Vanguard that were not mapped or understood at all when it shut down. Vanguard was seriously loving enormous, and it didn't achieve that at the expense of gigantic empty spaces in between the interesting ones.

The funny part is that there were gigantic empty spaces too, but even those were interesting if you could get to them to look around. The game had LOTS of places that were sealed off and could've been used for stuff but just were neglected for whatever reason. There was the sealed off cavern in Bordinar's Cleft that was full of dwarf specters and kobolds that spawned at certain spots. A cave near Elani that had ambience for mobs that were never placed inside. The Fields of Despair that had lots of trash and named and sealed off tombs underground with zero quests or reason to be there unless you knew it was there. The Pharoah of Nusibe that could only be accessed by clipping through the ground to find him. Completely hidden stuff like the Hall of Shattered Souls, Nexus, and Lothenland. Then the plain just unfinished or unused stuff like the Rhakasha Citadel and Trengal keep that had quest lines that just stopped. The Isle of Tears that was a HUGE flat service with nothing on it and barely was used for a quest line at end game. All of Stiirhad (which was MASSIVE and amazing to look at). The Vault of the Hidden. Ceros Isle. The Spire of Decakin. The Poisonous Caverns. The Hold of Intangibility. There was a LOT that really could've been worked with to really flesh the hell out of that game.

I really miss that game sometimes. :(

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

snodig posted:

In fifteen years at the yearly Quaidcon, held in Brad's garage where it all started, there will be pictures like this of the early bible engine that Pantheon used. We will all reminiscent of how silly we were to distrust an opiate addict to create a MMO with the help of a fundamentalist group and a ton of stolen prescription medication.

drat, considering EQ had only been out for a couple of months, WoW made that quickly.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I tweeted Smedley at any chance of Vanguard coming back. There is a sliver of hope in there but I know it will never happen.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jabro posted:

I tweeted Smedley at any chance of Vanguard coming back. There is a sliver of hope in there but I know it will never happen.

Nope.

Roshen posted:

No. The plan for this change does not include bringing back any games that were previously closed.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Considering how they operated Vanguard at a financial loss practically since launch, it's not particularly surprising that they wouldn't bring it back now that they are no longer backed by Sonys bank account.

I mean really.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

drat, considering EQ had only been out for a couple of months, WoW made that quickly.

The original WoW was made on a repurposed WC3 engine, so it likely wasn't a Herculean task getting that up and running.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vermain posted:

The original WoW was made on a repurposed WC3 engine, so it likely wasn't a Herculean task getting that up and running.

I think the joke might have been considering it was three years before WC3 was even released it's probably fake from the ground up. Especially since they've always said Westfall was the very first zone they created.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Fewd posted:

No content whatsoever for the upper quarter of levels except some random higher level trash mobs here and there.

Node posted:

There was a lone exclamation point on the bridge (where you got the "quest,") and the quest was to jump off the bridge and go through three rings on your way down. I missed the rings, and also missed the water, so I died horribly.

If this is true it is the most amazing thing ever. They release a game where at level 35, your options are to grind trash mobs or wander out into the wilderness and throw yourself off a bridge and kill yourself. It's like the most glorious display of utter contempt for customers of all time and it is fantastic. Lol, loving vangaurd.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Guys, there's finally some REAL news regarding Pantheon's development!!

quote:

The Pantheon dev team has turned the tables on its fanbase in a new community Q&A. Developers — including Chief Creative Officer Brad McQuaid, Lead Programmer Daniel Krenn, and others — want to know a bit more about player preferences, and their survey covers questions including adventure zone themes, independent vs. restricted crafting, and more.

“We would really like to see some genuine answers to get a better idea of what you all want and expect to see in Pantheon to help us going forward,” the team says.

If you want to complete their survey, it's right here!

:smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm the game design influenced by a couple dozen survey responses from people who obviously have bad judgment.

• Locked thread