Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have T-Mobile pre-paid, and after this next bill my account will be at about zero. I get a 19% service discount from my employer. Does this discount cover any additional data I add to my plan? i.e., $10/month for 2.5 gigs? Also, what is the easiest way to switch to postpaid and keep my number? I already have an Nexus 5, so I don't need a phone. I also have a few micro SIM activiation kits, if I can use those to do it myself.

I believe you should be able to switch from pre-paid to post-paid very easily. I'd try calling 611. Your employee discount applies to all reoccurring monthly charges, so your base monthly charge and additional data plan charge would be discounted. That's a great discount. I have a 15% from my employer and that's the highest I've heard of.

muscat_gummy posted:

$600 phone, cost over 2 years

Sprint: $2,240 (pay $200 up front, $85/month plan)
T-Mobile Option A: $1,320 (pay $600, get on $30/month plan)
T-Mobile Option B: $1,800 (cost of $600 phone plus $50/month plan)

This is a really smart way to look at it that I doubt people look at it this way. The savings really add up fast depending on your current situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

muscat_gummy posted:

$600 phone, cost over 2 years

Sprint: $2,240 (pay $200 up front, $85/month plan)
T-Mobile Option A: $1,320 (pay $600, get on $30/month plan)
T-Mobile Option B: $1,800 (cost of $600 phone plus $50/month plan)

I did this Excel style when I still wasn't sold on switching. It made up my mind for me pretty quickly.

If I'd kept my two lines on Verizon with my employee discount and the phones I've been using for the last two years (or if I had gotten free upgrades) I'd still spend close to a grand more over two years than I will having bought two unlocked Nexus 5s and having put them on the nerd plan. If I'd stayed and my employee discount expired (which it was about to) I'd have spent several hundred more on top of it. Not much of a decision at that point.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Stick100 posted:

Why do you want to switch to post paid? Last I checked post paid was more expensive (even with 19% discount) for the same service and the only real advantage was roaming.

I believe there are normal taxes on post paid while there are none (except sales) with prepaid.

Is there normal tax on post-paid on top of the monthly price? I thought they figured taxes into the amount.

In any case, the montly cost of my pre-paid and the post-paid service I'd want are the same.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there normal tax on post-paid on top of the monthly price? I thought they figured taxes into the amount.

In any case, the montly cost of my pre-paid and the post-paid service I'd want are the same.

The postpaid rates are before taxes. The Prepaid rates are after taxes, though in some states you pay sales tax on refills.
3 lines ($90) incur another $20 in taxes and fees in my area.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Naffer posted:

The postpaid rates are before taxes. The Prepaid rates are after taxes, though in some states you pay sales tax on refills.
3 lines ($90) incur another $20 in taxes and fees in my area.

Can someone explain the taxes thing on postpaid vs prepaid? Are they just baked in or are the carriers able to skirt the taxes because of some technicality?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Is there anyway to get past the 10 person limit on group texts? I just switched and ran into this issue. I do a ton of larger group texting and had never seen this mentioned anywhere and the people selling the phones had no idea about it.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Potentially bizarre question.

Can you have two family plans in one household?

My FIL has five lines on a family plan from T-Mobile. However my MIL wants to port her family plan from Sprint to T-Mobile and have them pay her ETF.

Would that work?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I successfully switched my 2 line family plan from Verizon over to T-Mobile today. I can finally tell Verizon to go gently caress themselves which is nice. It took like 2 and a half hours to actually complete the transaction but that was because the store clerk was totally clueless.

I traded in an HTC 8X (Windows 8 Phone) and a Droid Razr and received like 125 dollars credit. I picked up two iPhone 5S's and did the 0 down 24 month financing option. All I had to do was pay taxes on the phones which came to a little over 100 dollars (8.1% Las Vegas taxes). T-Mobile gave both phones temporary numbers while the old ones were transferred. This meant that we could surf the internet and call and text but none of our contacts knew who we were. After about 2 and a half hours I received a text message telling me that the number transfer was successful and my old number was active on my phone. Since then everything is working fine.

I am told that once I receive my final bill from verizon with the early termination fees listed on it, I can either mail in the paperwork they sent me home with, or scan and upload the information to the website plastered all over their ads. It can take up to 8 weeks to receive the prepaid credit card.

All in all, I am pretty happy to get out from underneath the contracts. I realize that by financing the phones, I am under similar obligations but it's nice to know that come tax rebate, I can just pay off both phones and it will not only lower my bill by 50 bucks a month, it will also allow me to walk away from the carrier if I am not happy.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
How do you guys send and receive calls on the Nerd plan without going over the minutes?

Or do you really never talk on the phone?

Last question (this time), if I go to T-Mobile and buy the phone, and then decide to leave, can I take it the best prepaids? I am mostly worried their network will not be good enough in rural areas and I have to get on AT&T (for voice coverage)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Ribsauce posted:

How do you guys send and receive calls on the Nerd plan without going over the minutes?

Or do you really never talk on the phone?

Last question (this time), if I go to T-Mobile and buy the phone, and then decide to leave, can I take it the best prepaids? I am mostly worried their network will not be good enough in rural areas and I have to get on AT&T (for voice coverage)

VOIP.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone use a hot spot device? I want to put one in my bitchin mini van so I can serve up DRM movies to a bunch of ipads. It seems you need to authenticate before the movies gets served up. My question is does the wifi network work even if you don't have a tmobile signal? My phone refuses to serve up a hot spot if it doesn't have signal. I need to know if the hot spot devices are different. My alternative is stripping the DRM off which is kinda illegal and I would still need a router that is powered by usb anyway.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

What do you usually use for that? The 100 minutes a month is way more than I'd ever need, but I probably ought to set something up in case of an emergency. I figured I'd probably use Skype since I pay for that for work anyway.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Meldonox posted:

What do you usually use for that? The 100 minutes a month is way more than I'd ever need, but I probably ought to set something up in case of an emergency. I figured I'd probably use Skype since I pay for that for work anyway.

Personally I use Google Voice with an Obi Hai which lets me use a regular phone to call with my Google Voice number. You get the same effect using the GMail or Google Hangout calling. For on the go I just use my minutes. I hardly every talk on the phone when I'm not at home so the 100 minutes is perfect.

Using Skype is another alternative. I think you need Skype premium which is ~$3/month to receive calls

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The rate per minute if you go over isn't bad from what I've read.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Meldonox posted:

I do at least 75-100 minutes of phone conversations each week, so the $30 plan wouldn't cover me even for a week out of each month. But I rolled my own PBX and use Google Voice to call out and receive calls for free.

When Google Voice dies, I may switch over to using a combination of Callcentric for free incoming and Localphone for cheap outgoing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Any idea how/if the 3g rollout for older iphones is going? Being stuck on edge blows but I've been hanging in for a year now waiting on it.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Javid posted:

Any idea how/if the 3g rollout for older iphones is going? Being stuck on edge blows but I've been hanging in for a year now waiting on it.

http://www.airportal.de/ for unofficial 1900=fast reports. Tmonews.com and official corporate press releases give weekly or monthly "modernized market" lists reflecting the 1900 refarm and/or LTE.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I'm having an odd problem with the My Account Android app. For some reason, after switching from a Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5, the app stopped working - even though I can still use manual phone codes to get minutes/balance info. Heck, even the iPad version of the app is still fetching info!

Anyone know what the trouble might be, and if there's a solution?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Nihiliste posted:

I'm having an odd problem with the My Account Android app. For some reason, after switching from a Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5, the app stopped working - even though I can still use manual phone codes to get minutes/balance info. Heck, even the iPad version of the app is still fetching info!

Anyone know what the trouble might be, and if there's a solution?

It might be that the app doesn't work on 4.4. I remember visual voicemail didn't work because of 4.4. They probably need to upgrade the app.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Burden posted:

It might be that the app doesn't work on 4.4. I remember visual voicemail didn't work because of 4.4. They probably need to upgrade the app.

That should've been the most obvious answer, now that I think about it!

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
My voice mailbox won't seem to set up on my Nexus 5. Switched to T-Mobile a few days ago (from Lumia 900 to Nexus 5--quite an upgrade!).

Whenever I go to set up my voicemail, it asks me to press * to check my mailbox. I assume this is the process for setting the mailbox up since I never received any other prompts. I do that, it asks me to enter in my phone number, and then it tells me the mailbox is invalid.

What am I doing wrong? Is there some other way to set up voicemail on Android now that I've forgotten about? Should I call T-Mobile or is it something with the Nexus 5?

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
Weird question but can I add my brother as a third line if his phone area code is from a different state?

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

I have JUMP on my plan and as of the 20th it will be active. I want to upgrade my phone but not until next month. I currently have $80 left to pay on my current phone, however it is cracked and has water damage.
I could upgrade right now but was hoping to wait- my question is, when I upgrade next month will they force me to use JUMP and pay the $150 insurance deductible? Or can I just pay off my phone and do a regular upgrade? I'd like to save my $70. I'm just hoping even though jump is on my acct I can skip trading it in / paying insurance.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yeah paying it off is always an option. You would in effect not be taking advantage of the Jump program in this case.

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

api call girl posted:

Yeah paying it off is always an option. You would in effect not be taking advantage of the Jump program in this case.

That's what I figured and I'm fine with that. Just don't want to go in in a few weeks and have jump be my only upgrade option. If I didn't gently caress up my phone though it wouldn't be an issue, lesson learned.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

BlackFrost posted:

My voice mailbox won't seem to set up on my Nexus 5. Switched to T-Mobile a few days ago (from Lumia 900 to Nexus 5--quite an upgrade!).

Whenever I go to set up my voicemail, it asks me to press * to check my mailbox. I assume this is the process for setting the mailbox up since I never received any other prompts. I do that, it asks me to enter in my phone number, and then it tells me the mailbox is invalid.

What am I doing wrong? Is there some other way to set up voicemail on Android now that I've forgotten about? Should I call T-Mobile or is it something with the Nexus 5?

Sounds like your voicemail is messed up somewhere, I would give them a call from a phone other than yours. 611, and then say technical support. Should get you right over to someone.

inkblottime posted:

Weird question but can I add my brother as a third line if his phone area code is from a different state?

Shouldn't be a problem. Only thing that may come up, is if it is an area where T-Mobile doesn't have service you can't move the number over.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://bgr.com/2014/01/14/t-mobile-wireless-price-war/

*sheds a tear for Verizon's 65% profit margin on smart phone data plans*

e: Also, (very solid) rumors are there's a new flat rate for trade-ins under the new ETF plan with a generic SKU:

1) iphones - $50
2) androids - $40
3) winpho - $15
4) bbry - $10
5) other - $5

This is on top of them backtracking on taking phones with broken screens and such, apparently.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 15, 2014

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I've currently got the old "Unlimited Nationwide 4G" on my account. If I upgrade to the newfangled unlimited data with 2.5GB tethering, does that affect anything else about my data plan? That is, I'll still have unlimited data regardless of LTE/HSPA+/GSM status, right?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

I've currently got the old "Unlimited Nationwide 4G" on my account. If I upgrade to the newfangled unlimited data with 2.5GB tethering, does that affect anything else about my data plan? That is, I'll still have unlimited data regardless of LTE/HSPA+/GSM status, right?

Correct. You get unlimited high-speed data. Regardless if it's Lte or hspa+

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I'm on an old Classic 1000 Minute—Talk plan with Unlimited Nationwide 4G.

Is there any way for me to get a subsidized device anymore or is that option completely gone, even with Retentions?

Edit: Is there any reason for me to NOT just switch to a Simple Choice plan and can I do so freely? And am I still eligible for the AAA discount? Does enrolling in a Simple Choice plan lock me into a rate or does grandfathering no longer apply since it is not a contract?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 15, 2014

Techokami
Nov 13, 2007

For use only on NTSC Genesis Systems.
So, it seems that T-Mobile is blocking the new major update for my Lumia 810. Anyone here know why this is happening? :(

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Techokami posted:

So, it seems that T-Mobile is blocking the new major update for my Lumia 810. Anyone here know why this is happening? :(

Maybe wifi calling.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Insane Totoro posted:

I'm on an old Classic 1000 Minute—Talk plan with Unlimited Nationwide 4G.

Is there any way for me to get a subsidized device anymore or is that option completely gone, even with Retentions?

Edit: Is there any reason for me to NOT just switch to a Simple Choice plan and can I do so freely? And am I still eligible for the AAA discount? Does enrolling in a Simple Choice plan lock me into a rate or does grandfathering no longer apply since it is not a contract?

No idea on the subsidized device thing, but I suspect there isn't a way.

You can switch to Simple Choice, but if you are not past 18 months from your last contract renewal you may have to pay a few bucks. This document gives the details. You should still be able to get your AAA discount on all monthly reoccurring charges. I would assume they have the ability to change the rate at any time, but I expect they'll treat it like a grandfathered plan since their goal at the moment is to steal as many customers as possible.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 16, 2014

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Oh in that case I'll just keep my grandfathered plan if there's no distinct price advantage!

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Alright, so here's my family's situation: We've all got carrier-locked Galaxy S3s and are still in contract with Verizon. Can we bring them along to T-Mobile, since T-Mo is paying the ETFs? Or is there some weird requirement that we have to get new phones or something or another

gay skull fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 17, 2014

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

ohnoitschris posted:

Alright, so here's my family's situation: We've all got carrier-locked Galaxy S3s and are still in contract with Verizon. Can we bring them along to T-Mobile, since T-Mo is paying the ETFs? Or is there some weird requirement that we have to get new phones or something or another

You have to purchase a new phone from T-Mobile and trade in an old phone in order to qualify for the ETF reimbursement.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ohnoitschris posted:

Besides the above comment, they won't work because the phones don't have the radios to interface with Tmo's network. So you'd need new phones anyway.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ohnoitschris posted:

When I did the T-Mobile switch from Verizon, I traded in the old phones and picked up two new Iphones from them. I had the option of purchasing the phones outright at 600 a pop or paying 25 dollars a month per phone for 24 months. Even with the additional 50 dollars in phone payments, my bill is still 30 dollars cheaper a month compared to what I was paying with Verizon. Additionally, I didn't have to pay 200 dollars down on each phone like I would with Verizon. The only money out of pocket I paid was the full tax on 1,200 dollars worth of phones which came out to just over 100 dollars. Additionally, T-Mobile paid me money for my old phones which I used to buy chargers and cases for the new ones.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

I am on AT&T now but I used 85 minutes last month, including free nights and weekends and mobile to mobile. I just don't have a need to talk on the phone regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
My new Samsung Galaxy S4 has wifi calling on it. I'm not sure if this is a T-Mobile thing but it might be. Anyways, if we go travel, and I use wifi calling from a hostel/hotel, is that charged per minute in a foreign country, or is that only if I call using cell towers?