Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I’m currently one a One plan, and traveling for work. I noticed that when I turn on my hotspot (iPhone 14) the speed on my laptop is a lot slower than my phone for accessing the same things. So I looked in the TMobile app and it says my account is using the free hotspot, which is 3g speed.

When I go to the Account tab, it shows the One Plan Plus, +$15/mo, and it includes 20GB of high speed mobile hotspot data.

2 questions: If I enable this, can I go back to the regular One plan when I get back home as easily as just clicking the button in the app? Or will it be a pain in the rear end? And two, will my speed on my laptop connected to my hotspot be as fast as my phone is? I’m in a good service area and my phone usually shows 3-4 bars of 5GUC.

Sorry if these are noob questions. Never really used a hotspot before.

Edit: I went on the chat in the t mobile app and they confirmed I can add the faster hotspot deal, then change back to the free one, at any time. But it hits for the current billing cycle and doesn’t pro-rate, which for me is fine.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

When is the plan switch happening? I'm still on my ONE plan and don't want to miss the window to opt out.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

McGurk posted:

When is the plan switch happening? I'm still on my ONE plan and don't want to miss the window to opt out.

It's apparently postponed indefinitely after the public outcry.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's apparently postponed indefinitely after the public outcry.

Ah interesting, thanks. I did get a text today asking me to switch my payment method to Debit or Bank Account to keep the AutoPay discount, kind of annoying I won't get CC points anymore but whatever.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

McGurk posted:

Ah interesting, thanks. I did get a text today asking me to switch my payment method to Debit or Bank Account to keep the AutoPay discount, kind of annoying I won't get CC points anymore but whatever.

Yeah, I didn’t bother changing my payment method. I’m not giving my bank info out no matter what they say. I’ll eat the 10 dollars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can give them an account to keep the autopay, but then log in and pay manually via credit card.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Okay I'm going kinda nuts here. I've got SWAC, bought a new Pixel 8 Pro from Google and was able to activate it no problem, just connected it to my 6 Pro and it transferred everything.

However, I also have the "Line on us" option, and want to move my Pixel 6 onto that line. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this online - there's options to add devices, but it wants to add a line as well. I can't seem to just find a simple "Activate a phone on an existing line" option for the 2nd line . Am I gonna have to go into a store?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do you not have a SIM sitting around for that extra line?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do you not have a SIM sitting around for that extra line?

No, it's eSim

Edit - And when I try to download a new one it asks for the QR which I don't have

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
As of a couple months ago, I had to either call or chat to do an eSim activation.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can give them an account to keep the autopay, but then log in and pay manually via credit card.

Yeah, naw. They don’t need to hold any of that poo poo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it’s like the other carriers, they’ll have it programmed where if you pay with a credit card manually it’ll drop the discount for the month.

It is one of my least favorite policies.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have it pointed at a savings account with next to nothing in it, that nothing else has access to.

I've been paying it manually via CC for a few months now and the discount still comes through on the bill.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Playing 4D chess with having a "dummy account" of sorts. That's smart!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have it pointed at a savings account with next to nothing in it, that nothing else has access to.

I've been paying it manually via CC for a few months now and the discount still comes through on the bill.

Hey, if they don’t ding you more power to you. I know VZ def will.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Another free line deal. You need an employee to check your segments page to see if your eligible.

https://tmo.report/2023/12/t-mobile-is-again-offering-a-free-line-to-select-targeted-customers/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ooh thank you. I was just hoping I could get an extra line. How does T-Mobile tell hotspot data from anything else? I changed TTL but some still got flagged as hotspot when using a mobile router. I only used that temporarily, have a home internet line now, though it's not unlimited due to location.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well drat... I am finally eligible for a free line! I forget what I have technically, but it is a 2 line promotion for $100 with taxes included, but I get a kickback of $10 per line when it uses under 2GB.

Having them throw it on some Samsung phone I have laying around the home.

My kid will EVENTUALLY need a phone in a few years, and I was dreading having to start paying $170 because I'd never ever ever get a free third line offer. This is awesome

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Did you receive any kind of text from tmo about it? We went to check on eligibility today (not eligible) and the person said that tmo will generally send a text if you are.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Support said I’m not eligible today for the line but they told me it’s rolling in throughout the week for certain accounts and to check back later.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
One Plan Unlimited 55+

any reason to update that to a newer plan?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Simple choice even bother checking?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Also not eligible but they did offer me a free line if I added two paid lines. Which, I guess is 33% off if I needed 3 lines.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Did you receive any kind of text from tmo about it? We went to check on eligibility today (not eligible) and the person said that tmo will generally send a text if you are.

No, I just saw the post in the thread

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Dr Tran posted:

One Plan Unlimited 55+

any reason to update that to a newer plan?
I learned recently there was a downside to switching to Magenta Max 55+ which is there's a max of 4 (voice) lines on the account. So if you see yourself going past that, and other 55+ plans have that, could be a reason to switch.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I ended up trying to jump through the hoops today to get my wife's remaining EIP balance waived (she was on the old 30 month EIP and the forever upgrade program) and so far have not been successful, I assume other people have?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/deals/forever-upgrade#section5

EDIT: 30 more minutes on hold were apparently enough for them to figure it out, fingers crossed nothing else got messed up in the process

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 1, 2024

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So if they're going to cover Hulu with ads, what if I've got the "Disney Bundle Trio Premium"? Are they gonna subsidize the bill a little kind of like they used to do with Netflix?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They still do that with netflix, and if you want a subsidy on your Disney Bundle and have an Amex this is fairly substantial: $84/yr Disney Bundle

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I think T-mobile stole $100 from me.

Target had a pretty good sale on prepaid cards around Thanksgiving. I usually stock up on them and carry a balance when there's a sale. I had $23 in my account, then bought 10 x $100 cards and figured I'd be set for a while. I definitely overdid it, but I was saving 15% on my bill for a year.

I went to the website and redeemed all 10 credits. The last card redemption threw an error and my final account balance was $923, not the $1023 I expected.

That's when I learned there's a $1000 limit on prepaid balances, but I figured I'd just save all the codes and retry the last one in a few days after my next month was charged.

When I came back with a sub-$900 balance, I retried all 10 codes on the website, and all were marked as "already redeemed."

I called support and went round and round with them. Eventually the highest level agent I could reach agreed that she saw a problem, but there was nothing she could do to help. I was told my ONLY option for resolution was to email CEO Mike Sievert. WTF.

I wrote a very detailed email and included all 10 of the refill codes I had tried to redeem, as well as a copy of the redemption error from my account history.

Someone actually emailed back from the CEO's office and admitted that she saw that an error had happened, but she couldn't explain it! Now it's been over a month and I get a "We're still investigating" email or phone call about every third business day. I just want the last $100 credit I paid for!

When you redeem multiple refill cards in one session, the balance shown on the website doesn't update unless you manually refresh the page in between. What are the chances that the website used stale user-side data to check if I was under $1000 when I redeem the last card and marked the card as "used" before the redemption was rejected server-side?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

This sounds like a transactional rollback issue. In the back end code on the website for redeeming prepaid cards the steps would go something like this:

1. Validate the card
2. Debit the balance from the card
3. Credit the amount to the user's account

Step 3 threw the exception that your account balance can't go over $1000. Since step 3 failed and this is meant to be an atomic transaction (all steps completed or none), step 2 should've been reversed.

Hope you get your money back.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If prepaid is for poors, I guess I pushed an edge case by trying to deposit $1000 at once.

I’m just annoyed that multiple reps have confirmed it’s not my fault, and “Annalisa Avalos: Team CEO” has called or emailed a dozen times to tell me they haven’t reached a resolution. Just give me a credit.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
There's also been a scam with gift cards going around especially in target. Thieves will take gift cards and manage to get the numbers and pins somehow then place them back in the store. A coworker was hit with this recently with a target gift card. They got a $100 target gift card from a friend. When they went to use it, it was already redeemed. They have spoken to customer service and I think there's an investigation. They tried going to the store with the receipt and were told sorry can't help, call the customer service number on card.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I bought numbers on target.com that I had to login with my email address to copy and paste

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Oh ok. Hopefully you get your money back soon.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So T-Mobile charged me for my free 3rd line. Had to deal with customer service for an hour for them to fix it. They just gave me a bill credit for this month though to fix it. Hoping I don’t have to call back next month as well.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Astro7x posted:

So T-Mobile charged me for my free 3rd line. Had to deal with customer service for an hour for them to fix it. They just gave me a bill credit for this month though to fix it. Hoping I don’t have to call back next month as well.

Tforce on twitter

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

serebralassazin posted:

There's also been a scam with gift cards going around especially in target. Thieves will take gift cards and manage to get the numbers and pins somehow then place them back in the store. A coworker was hit with this recently with a target gift card. They got a $100 target gift card from a friend. When they went to use it, it was already redeemed. They have spoken to customer service and I think there's an investigation. They tried going to the store with the receipt and were told sorry can't help, call the customer service number on card.

They will boost the empty cards, scratch off the numbers, then apply a foil on top Pin code.

Return the cards on the shelves, someone buys the card and load it with funds. the scammer would periodically check the balance, as soon as balance hits they use the card to empty it

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
After a month and a half, corporate finally decided to replace my $100 prepaid card that was mistakenly marked “redeemed” when it was rejected for putting my account over the $1000 limit.

Except, they only deposited $80 and asked for my address to mail a physical card for the remaining $20.

Why is t-mo trying to dox me?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

eddiewalker posted:

After a month and a half, corporate finally decided to replace my $100 prepaid card that was mistakenly marked “redeemed” when it was rejected for putting my account over the $1000 limit.

Except, they only deposited $80 and asked for my address to mail a physical card for the remaining $20.

Why is t-mo trying to dox me?

send it to the post office for safety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Lol if they "accidentally send you too large a refund and need you to buy a new gift card to fix it".