Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Been shopping with the family for a new four line plan for the last week and we are just about ready to pursue the current $100 for 10GB plan. However, I also saw that Sprint had been goaded into a "me too" plan that prompted me to do some research. Sprint was not up to snuff in this case because they required all new phones to be purchased to be validated for the $100 20GB shared plan, and we are trying to stay out of subsidized phones by sticking with the GSM phones we already paid off.

Now, am I correct in my understanding that the T-Mobile plan is $100 base for the four lines with $25 for each line out of contract, and I can use my phone instead of having to buy new ones as I will not be paying any ETF fee? Are there other charges included I am forgetting? Activation fees, sim cards, etc.? (Though the sims seem to be free on the website)

You are correct. One thing you should know is that the 10gb plan is not 10 gb forever. January 2nd 2016 the plan goes from 2.5gb per line to 1gb of data per line. If you go to a store to do it, it's 10 per sim to activate. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Crashrat posted:

If you have a phone that's under Jump! 1.0, and you use Jump! to upgrade to a new phone now - does that change you over to Jump! 2.0?

Nope. You will still have 1.0.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Crashrat posted:

What happens if I decide to add an extra line? Does the new line go under Jump! 1 or 2?

Yeah it is per line so the new line would get 2.0.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

I'm on a Classic 500 Minute - Talk plan that I started about a month before the "uncarrier" Simple Choice news dropped.

Several weeks ago, I got a postcard from TMo saying that I was being migrated to a new plan, free of charge, and that it would open up the international data and unlimited music for me. However, I logged in today and it still says I'm on the old plan with no mention of the new features.

Has anyone else received one of those cards? When can I expect the changeover?

I ask because I'm being sent out of the country for work, and the international data would be really, really nice, even if it's slow.

Also, TMo says that it can terminate service for excessive use of international data, and that the primary use of the device must be domestic. Is that evaluated monthly? I will be overseas for three months. I assume, then, that I'll be regarded as excessive international use.

Would it just be best to have my service suspended for those three months?

Sorry for all the questions.

My best guess for when the rate plan will change is the start of your next billing cycle. As for the international roaming. Their isn't a hard number of months that I'm aware of but I know they are looking at it. 3 months isn't super long. My brother used it for over 2 months in Brazil without any issues. Make sure the country you are going to is one of the 100+ countries covered because it doesn't work everywhere. The list if countries is in the OP.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

The trial thing, do you get data? How much? Can't tell online, the closest thing I can see is 50mb and :lol: aint happening if that's what it is.

You are on an unlimited everything plan so it's unlimited data.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

blakout posted:

I'm gonna be on a trip over the launch weekend and probably gonna go to the store on that next tuesday. How fast do the local shops get restocked. I'm switching from Verizon so I can't go to the apple store, atleast I don't think I can.

I don't think apple stores can break the phone up into payments, but i could be wrong. You could activate at apple with a new temporary number and then come to a store to have your number moved over from verizon and replace the temporary number.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

nickutz posted:

Do T-Mobile stores have iPhone's available for walk-in purchases on launch day, or are they all used to fill pre-orders?

Stores will have them. It will be first come first serve and most stores will be opening at 8am Friday. Make sure you back up your old phone before you come in. Most stores wont be transferring data this weekend.

Trip Daddy X posted:

Do we know how the open enrollment is going to work? Can anyone just trade in their current financed phone for a new one, or does the current one need to be paid off 50%?

The way the jump enrollment will work is you will as the jump feature to your account. Once you have paid 50% of phone you can give it to Tmobile and make a new down payment on the new phone. T-mobile will pay the other half. So for instance let's say you bought the IPhone 5s for $650 and have already payed off $225. If you want to get the iPhone 6 you add Jump, pay $100 to get to half way paid and then pay they tax on the iPhone 6.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

blakout posted:

Quick question I just got a decent sized bonus at work. I want to put some of that money into paying down my phone, do i just go in store and say that can I do it online?

Come to a store they can take payments towards Your phone

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Another Poster posted:

Asked this once before. Got an iPhone coming in on Friday and I don't have a nano sim to just simply switch over. Is it pretty simple to activate it with my current number? (on Tmobile)

A nano sim will be in the phone already if it was purchased as a T-Mobile phone. If you have an account with t-mobile you just need to call tmobile and have them activate the sim card on your number. The sim card number will be on the back of the box and start with 8901 most likely.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

IPhone 6 and 6+ update. Most Tmobile stores will most likely be receiving 16gb models for the 6 only. Most stores if not all stores won't be receiving 6+ in any capacity or color unfortunately. T-Mobile is completely sold out of the 6+ from what I've been told. Wait times for shipping a 6+ is 8 weeks and 6 is 4-6 weeks when I checked yesterday. Stores will most likely be busy tomorrow with most stores opening early at 8AM.

In regards to the cellspot Wi-Fi router. You will be able to pick it up in stores starting the 24th with a $25 deposit for postpaid customers. It is $99 if you are a prepaid customer. They are shipping them to postpaid customers now for no deposit till the 24th and it's taking 1-3 weeks to ship them out. Just call customer care to have one shipped to you.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Went to start the trade in process on my iPhone 4 on the T-Mobile website, and noticed this....

So... did they just purposely price the trade in value of the iPhone 4 at $1 more than AT&T so they can say they already beat AT&T's deal, and not give me another $50 bonus?

Because last week they were offering me $50 for my iPhone. Thought I could trade in, price match for $200, and have them beat it for another $50.

Yeah the trade in matching started Wednesday.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Put in an order for an iPhone 6 today using the trade-in offer from an iPhone 4. The clerk said to expect a 6 week wait, but I thought the 6 wasn't as in short supply as the 6+?

iPhone 6 is 4-10 days depending on thr color and size , 6+ is 6 weeks.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Astro7x posted:

How does mobile hotspots work with T-Mobile?

So I had my iPhone 4 which I brought with me from AT&T, and I could use the mobile hotspot to use internet on my iPad. Now that I have my iPhone 6 it is telling me that I need to activate the mobile hotspot and pay $10 for additional data. Is that right?

Kind of sucks, because I assumed that the mobile hot spot thing worked with my existing data, as I had no problem using it with my AT&T iPhone 4. But maybe because I bought a phone from T-Mobile I closed the loophole :(

It is included unless you are on an older rate plan. Older phones were able to get around it but new phones they block it unless you have a current data plan. Might be worth it to change your plan anyway. Could save you money.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Astro7x posted:

I have the "Simple Choice Plan: Unlimited Talk + Text" plan with 1GB of data. That includes hotspots?

Yeah. That includes hotspot and tethering. Call technical support and let them know it's not working because it should be.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

If I'm not happy with the storage capacity on my new iPhone (16gb), do I have any options for exchanging it and paying the difference? I'm kind of kicking myself for not ordering the 64gb.

You have 14 days to return it but will most likely be charged $50 for a restocking fee plus the $100 + tax difference.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Resonance22 posted:

I had a quick question about the ETF deal. The phones I trade in have to be from the carrier I'm leaving, right? I have a bunch of old T-mobile androids from 4 years ago, but the T-Mobile rep said I had to trade in any Verizon branded phones. Is this correct? The rep also said I could get the lines now (2.5 gb family promotion ends today), and figure out the ETF deal later.

You can trade any phone. Doesn't even have to turn on. If you purchase phones from a store you must do it at the time you purchase a phone. You can't doll do it later. Also the 4 for $100 with 2.5 gigs of data got extended till the end of October.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Isurion posted:

Just ordered an unlocked 1st gen Moto X to replace my smashed HTC One. What will I need to do in terms of SIM cards/activation to get it working with my existing T-Mobile service? Can I just reuse the SIM from my old phone?

If the som card fits then all you have to do is pop it in and it will work. No need to call anyone. If it doesn't fit then you will need to get the correct size SIM card at your local T-mobile store.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

England Sucks posted:

T-Mobile loving dropped the ball on the iPhone 6 being unlocked. Pisses me of.

T-Mobile doesn't sell unlocked phones. If you purchased the phone in full they will give you the unlock code after you have used the device for 40 days. If you are purchasing the phone in installments they will unlock it after the same 40 days and after you have made two payments on the device and you tell them you are going to be roaming internationally.

Edit: If you want an unlocked iPhone buy a Verizon iPhone. They come unlocked already.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Hakarne posted:

Hey wait, we can just drop our phones off at a T-Mobile store for the ETF deal? I'd much rather do that than ship them and wait.

On a related note it looks like they got some 6+ in stock, they shipped mine last night! :dance: Hopefully the rest of you on back order get them soon!

T-mobile stores can not take in trade ins for phones that were not purchased and received in that exact store at the time of purchasing phone. If you want to trade in a phone for a phone that you bought online or was shipped to you from a store or customer care and you didn't start the trade in process at the time of purchasing the phone, you go to https://www.t-mobile.com/tradein and at the bottom you enter your order # and your phone number. Then you enter in your serial number of the phone you are trading in and Tmobile will give you the shipping label to send your phone back.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Shoren posted:

I'm getting a Z3C soon and I'm interested in switching off my parents' Verizon plan to T-Mobile, but I have a couple questions. First, I don't do much talking on my phone so that $30 plan looks very appealing, but does it include the international roaming? I travel internationally a few times a year so not having to switch SIM cards would be really useful, not a dealbreaker though. Second, would I be able to port my number over to T-Mobile despite not being the primary Verizon account holder?

I'm pretty sure you can roam on the $30 plan but it won't be with the good roaming where you get the .20 cents a minute, free text, and data. You would be charged per minute and text, and data is something crazy like $15 a megabyte. You can port it over, you will need the account number and the account holders last 4 of their social security number.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Super Dude posted:

I was planning on walking into a tmobile next week to grab a Nexus 6, then stick my Verizon sim card in it. Will I have an issue buying the phone if I don't use tmobile as my carrier?

Yes. Stores won't sell it to you unless you have a plan or are starting service.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Did T-Mobile get rid of "3G" data or at least the nomenclature? I went on a trip over the holiday and my new G3 switched between GPRS, EDGE, "4G", and LTE. It never once indicated I had a 3G connection anywhere.

Have their 3G bands been completely refarmed to 4G/HSPA or LTE?

HSPA and HSPA+ has always been 3G Tmobile just branded it as 4G like most of the other carriers. 4g is LTE.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Ingenium posted:

So if I don't care about keeping my old number I could set it up with the same phone?

Exactly

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Astro7x posted:

I personally don't think so , unless you break your phone a lot and want insurance, since Jump includes insurance. But otherwise, I think it's an idiot tax for those that don't know how to use eBay to sell their 1 year old phones.

Say you get an iPhone for $650. Jump is $10/mo. In order to trade in your phone you have to pay a minimum of half the value of your phone. So you paid $120/year for Jump, plus $325 for your phone, for a total of $445. Can you sell your 1 year old iPhone on your own for more than $205? Probably, so it's stupid to use Jump. And when you use Jump, your payments start all over again.

I traded in my iPhone 4 this year for $251, a 4 year old iPhone... If you love to upgrade your phone every year, buy the new one full price and sell the old one.

You can pay for your phone in installments with T-Moible over 2 years which is the interest free loan mentioned, so why not take it. That is not Jump though, that's the Equipment Installment Plan (EIP) which you can do if you buy the phone through T-Mobile.

It also depends on the phone. iPhone it probably isn't worth getting JUMP! on unless you are prone to losing it or physically damaging it. Android phones don't typically have as good of resale value as iPhone does. I have JUMP! and I do use it. It is also for the lazy as you don't have to mess with ebaying or craigslisting your phone. You can just take it to the store trade it in and start your payments on the new phone. It is also worth noting that if the phone has a larger trade in value then what you owe on the device then you get the difference credited back on your bill. JUMP! also gets you Lookout Premium Protection which is a nice added feature. If you like to have the latest and greatest phones I say it is worth it.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Luceo posted:

I'm considering switching to T-Mo from Sprint, due to that ridiculously good unlimited everything two lines for $100 plan. I have a couple of months left under contract, so I'm interested in getting them to pay the ETF. Is trading in my old phone a requirement to get that to happen? My Mom will inherit my Note II, but we could trade in my wife's S3 along with a random other old phone if they don't care what phone they get.

Yeah you have to trade in an old phone and buy a new phone from Tmobile for each line that you need the ETF reimbursed. Just an FYI but Sprint phones even if they are unlocked won't typically work on T-Mobile so make sure you test it first before you switch over if you are using a Sprint Note 2. Sprint does something where if it's unlocked it won't work on US carriers.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Luceo posted:

My Mom gets the Note2 on the Sprint SERO plan that I gave her, not on T-Mo.

So they'll take any phone for a trade-in? We have two lines, so my wife's Sprint S3 that's actually in use, and anything else will do?

Yeah any phone will do. Doesn't even have to turn on, just bring something in that is a cellphone. Old flip phone, blackberry, or whatever you have.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

I've got an unlocked phone from ATT on T-Mobile now and everything else is working fine but I'm unable to send or receive MMS. I've done the APN song and dance and everything checks out. Any one else had this issue? The strange thing is it worked for about two weeks before making GBS threads the bed.

Try resetting your network settings and see if that helps. Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. If not call T-Mobile and have them look into it. Could be something network related.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Uthor posted:

My aunt from Poland called me this morning on my phone with the nerd plan. How does T-Mobile handle this on my end? Is it going to just take $0.10/minute (I'm already over 100 minutes for the month)? I was kind of shocked it came through in the first place...

Yeah it just charges you the normal rate for any incoming calls.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

drat NIGGA posted:

Thanks for the help.

Do they offer any trade-in deals? I have one iPhone 5 in great condition and one in not-so great. Or is ETF thing based on giving them your phones?

You have to trade in a phone in order to qualify for the etf reimbursement. They will give money for the iPhones but if they have any cracks or water damage they won't give any money for the phone but it will still qualify for the etf reimbursement.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

nickutz posted:

Does making a claim on the handset protection affect your upgrade eligibility with JUMP?

It doesn't affect your jump eligibility.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

If I'm just on T-Mobile's free 200 MB/month data plan, will they send me a femtocell/signal booster?

The signal outside my house is good on 4G/HSPA (4 "dots", ~2550 KBps average), and simply OK on LTE (two "dots", ~950 KBps average). While I'm outside, my iPad connects to 4G over LTE presumably because the signal is stronger and that's fine, but inside my house it's absolute garbage (one "dot" of 4G averages about 40 KBps, if I'm lucky). I realize they have been sending out an Asus RT AC-68U to some people, but I don't want that since it wouldn't help anything — not only would it not improve my LTE signal, I already have my own AC-68U.

Since I'm also not actually paying for T-Mobile service, I don't really want to pay for this either. If it's going to be expensive, then gently caress it, but if it's reasonably cheap and they're willing to send it out I'd go for it.

T-Mobile only gives the cell boosters to postpaid customers. Prepaid customers and customers on the free 200 megabytes aren't qualified to get it.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

repeating posted:

The same does apply with the $100 family unlimited plan.

There's no way to "reset your month", but on a postpaid plan you can change your billing cycle once per lifetime of account, per policy. Depending on how the calendar works out, you'll either get one tiny bill in a short amount of time, then a regular bill at the new date. Or your next bill will be for a month+however many days would have been left in the new bill cycle. Probably be best to set it to 20 days ago then it would switch to the new month at midnight Thursday. (cycle date+21 days=due date)

On any post paid plan you can just add more data for $10 and then remove it whenever you need to. Why would you go through the hassle of changing your bill cycle for data when you don't need too?

As for the nerd plan, I don't think you can add more data or data passes to it, and you can't do the change your plan and then change it back trick either unfortunately.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Anyone ever had trouble returning a test-drive iPhone early? I only needed two days on mine to figure out that yes, T-Mobile kicks the poo poo out of Sprint everywhere I go (including in my house with an Airvana) and I'd rather the iPhone not be my liability sooner than later. Tried to return it last night but they couldn't seem to get it to come up in their system.

You should be able too. We had some system issues yesterday. Call a store before you go and see if they can do it to save you a trip. They just need the IMEI # which you can get by dialing *#06#.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

Okay, some brief googling reveals that there is a domestic data roaming quota for some plans. Does the nerd plan not have any?

Yeah prepaid has pretty much no roaming for data.

Skeezy posted:

Does anyone know roughly how much the next day shipping would cost for a pre-order?

$25 for next day shipping.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

LionYeti posted:

So I can't sign up for jump partially through cause I really want that S6, I'm about halfway through paying for my iphone6.

You can only add jump to your plan within 14 days of purchasing your phone. . Can't add it after that unfortunately.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

LionYeti posted:

How would I find out both of those things?

You can find your trade in value at https://www.t-mobile.com/tradein The T-mobile iPhone 6 16GB is at $261 right now. Your EIP balance will be on your my T-mobile account as the previous poster said.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Beefstorm posted:

So what exactly is the "SCORE!" program with prepaid accounts?

Basically you pay $5 a month. After 6 months you can get a entry level smart phone like the Alcatel Evolve 2 for free after 6 months. If you wait a year you can get up to $150 off any phone.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

eXXon posted:

I called T-Mobile and asked them to unlock the prepaid phone I got the last time I was in the US. They said it had only been activated for 5 months and I needed to call back after 6 months to get a free unlock code.

T-Mobile also deactivates prepaid SIMs after 6 months of inactivity. :saddowns:

They are wrong. Here is the policy.

Unlock eligibility for pay in advance (prepaid) phones, tablets and mobile internet devices
The device has been active on the T-Mobile network for more than 1 year on the requesting line.
If the device has been active for less than 1 year on the requesting line, the Pay in Advance account associated with the device must have had more than $25 in refills for basic phones or $100 in refills for smartphones or tablet since device first use date.
The account must not be canceled and in good standing.
T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

Source: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Yes they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443724483"]
Proof? Those look like they're for different prepaid plans.

I work for Tmobile. It's a prepaid card. You'll have $100 added to your prepaid account. The nerd plan is a prepaid plan.