Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Current Promos are 2 lines for $100 for 10 Gigs on each line or 4 lines for $120 with 6 gigs on each line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Link please? Can't find it on the site.

4 lines for $120 with 6 gigs
http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/unlimited-data-story-freeline.html?icid=WMM_TM_3111DTSTRY_84GD6Z2F09F5022

The Family plan page defaults to the 2 lines for $100 with 10 gigs

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans.html#2lines

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Asking this again, didn't see an be answer before -

Yeah music streaming doesn't count towards your data on the Simply prepaid plans.

From http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-monthly-plans?icid=WMM_PD_SMPLYPRPD1_P7P5IZNPEDI3761

"Music Unlimited

Unlimited music streaming on top services without using your data on our network. For $40/mo. and above plans."

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

So is the only difference really that the $50 plan gets you Binge On and calls to Canada and Mexico?

Th $50 plan doesn't get you binge on, only $65 or higher.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

peepsalot posted:

I've been on T-mobile's $30 super secret prepaid 'i have no friends' plan for a while now.

It was a massive pain to get it set up to begin with, leaving me with no phone for a week or so, and almost inexplicably lost my phone number during the switchover, which I'd had for 10yrs or so.

Anyways, I started a new job recently that requires me to be on conference calls out the wazoo, and its eating up my minutes, making it closer to $60/mo since I have to keep feeding the account. I'm thinking about switching to a post-paid plan, and I guess I'm mainly wondering if there are any specific ways or tips to go about changing from prepaid to postpaid that will result in the least possible fuckups from t-mobile, considering every interaction I've had with them has been like pulling teeth. I'm assuming I could do it over phone or internet?

Go to a store, they will move your number over in like 2 minutes once your postpaid account is made. It should be painless and quick.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Any Chicagoons here? I am visiting and cannot get service in any of the buildings on north Michigan avenue, namely my hotel. I thought T-Mobile got through this issue or at least would roam on at&t. Is it a building penetration issue or a tower issue right here? Had perfect signal up in Lincoln Park and decent when outdoors in the loop area.

Frustrating anecdote: Giordanos on Navy Pier doesn't give you pagers, they only call or text you. Or course it's a dead zone there and at the children's museum so I was going to have to check in every five or ten minutes because of that. Got lucky though and a table came open when I went to preorder but that really made the poor service a PITA.

From what I have gathered they don't have Band 12 (extended range LTE) in Chicago and that is why the signal quality is poor and the building penetration is bad. They should be getting it soon though. https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/t-mobile-secures-new-spectrum-to-deliver-extended-range-lte-to-chicago-area.htm

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

It makes it so you get it where it does 480p, but you can't stream unlimited on the 2GB plan. 3GB or higher is needed to get the benefits of unlimited streaming.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Heavy Lobster posted:

Couldn't seem to find a thread specifically for this sorta thing, so I figured I'd ask it here:

Recently got a friend's old phone because my current one has a huge dead zone in the touch screen. I'm T-mobile, but they're AT&T, and now I need a PIN for the SIM card to use it in the new phone. Is there any way to do this without having to pay a third party service? Most google results are wishy washy about what to do because of the apparent gray legality of it, so I'm not really sure what my options are and figured I'd ask goons. Phone is a Galaxy S5 if that's at all relevant.

Go to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/ and say you aren't an AT&T customer and request the unlock. It should work and you should get the unlock in 24 hours.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

TheBuilder posted:

My wife's new iPhone 7 plus apparently won't activate on the network. Any calls go straight to T-Mobile customer service. The hold time is now estimated at "more than 3 hours." Lol

Are you using the sim card that came on the phone or the one in your previous phone?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

TheBuilder posted:

Came with the phone.

Assuming you are already T-Mobile customers put the sim card from the previous phone into the new phone.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Quidthulhu posted:

Google Pixel seriously making me consider switching to GoogleFi. How easy is my not-a-contract-but-a-JUMP-phone to turn back in and cancel without having to pay anything if my phone is in good condition :v:

In order to jump and trade in your phone you have to buy a phone. So jump to the least expensive phone and then return it and pay the restock fee.

Edit:Auto correct

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Any idea why I'm getting such lovely speeds on my iPhone 6 in Chicago?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1843777025

Ridiculous... restarted my phone and everything.

My wife's phone gets 22 up 12 down sitting right next to me on an iPhone SE

Have you used a lot of data this bill cycle? Dial #932# and let us know how much data you have used?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

If my wife and I both have phones with Jump on Demand and we want to leave tmobile, do we have to turn in our phones AND pay the remaining months on the lease?

Just jump to the cheapest phone that Tmobile offers on Jump On Demand , return it and pay the restocking fee.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Uncle Lizard posted:

So I recently noticed a new issue. I haven't been able to get the visual voicemail in the dialer app on my Pixel 2 XL to connect to my voicemail. I got on chat with TMobile and they told me it was an issue with the app. I then got on chat with Google to troubleshoot any issues, and after going through everything, the Google rep said it had to be something with the carrier. I get back on chat with TMobile, and after about an hour the rep admitted that TMobile is purposely blocking all visual voicemail apps other than their own, except on iPhone, and TMobile's app costs an extra $4 a month. Is there a way around this or do I just have to bend over and take it?

When I got my Pixel 3 it would not work and customer care and technical care were not really much of a help. What eventually worked was I installed and set up the T-Mobile Visual Voice mail app (the free part) and went through the setup process. Then I uninstalled it, and then set up the dialer voicemail app on my Pixel 3 and that made it work. If that doesn't work, install and setup the T-Mobile app, then uninstall, reboot, and then set up the dialer voicemail.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Tortilla Maker posted:

Videos sent to me via text message are always very pixelated. We never had this issue with our previous carrier (same phones).

There's a toggle switch for "HD Video" on T-Mobile's Media Settings menu. I toggled this on thinking it may fix the poor quality videos. As soon as I activated HD Video, I received a text thanking me for my purchase.

Is there a cost to HD Video? I can't seem to find anything on it and the Media Settings menu didn't indicate there was. I'm on the T-Mobile ONE plan.

I am assuming this is to activate HD video streams from apps like Netflix and YouTube.

In terms of your video issue, what phones are you using and what messaging app are you using on each device?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Switched carriers (AT&T to tmobile) but kept the same phone (Galaxy s21 ultra).

You could try resetting your network settings and see if that helps.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

According to GSM arena it is a nano sim. The smallest of the punch and the same size as the as the iphone x. That sim card should fit in the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I recently had to upgrade a phone on my plan. I went on the first day of the new Go5G plans were rolled out so the rep had to keep asking questions from his manager. I had been from Sprint so I had an old "Essentials" plan so my bill used to be $165 for 4 lines plus I got in on the $25 lifetime Home Internet service.

There were 4 days left in my billing cycle. The new plan they sold me was going to be $220 + the $25 for Home internet. I went with this because it gave me $800 off the new phone and I now qualify for freebies like Netflix and Apple TV which I sub to anyway so the price increase was basically a wash. However I got a new bill and they kind of screwed me and I want to know if this is normal to do what they did?

We got a bill with a “plan change charge” of $101. We had also received $80 for trading in the old phone so this more than erased that, and this charge was never disclosed when we bought the phone and upgraded the plan.

On the bill it also showed that I had a bill of $345, not $220. The rep I spoke to tried could not explain what the charges were. Now, I know the Go5G plans were brand new but I couldn't get a clear explanation. Finally she said something that basically amounted to “we pretty much have to charge you for the old plan and the new plan for that month.” I asked to speak to someone higher hoping they might be able to explain the charge or could maybe confirm that is the policy. I was more than happy to pay a prorated difference for the higher plan for the 4 days we were on it, but they didn't prorate anything, they just charged me for a month of service for both plans. In the end, they credited $70 so we still paid $31 for basically 4 days. Which isn’t ideal but I’d been on the phone for over an hour and needed to get my kid to bed. I can see next month's bill is going to be the $220 + $25 that I expected so it's just this 4 day double billing issue.

Did I get hosed? Or did I gently caress up and that's normal? What should I do or can I even do anything?

T-Mobile uses something called "Bill Current" and basically they charge you in advance for your service. Since you made the change with only a few days left in the cycle you got charged for the original rate plan you were on and the new plan as well. In theory the following month you have the actual prorated amount instead of a full bill and it evens out. It is a horrible system. Now I have not worked there since 2016 so things could have changed but that is how I remember it.