Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Welp, just started post-paid service w/T-Mobile ($70 plan w/10% work discount). Went into a 3rd party store close to my house because it was, well, close.

So the salesman wasn't totally upfront (shocker, I know). He said there is no limit on domestic roaming (we were looking at Montana). I said great!

Before signing on, I asked again to clarify...asked if there was a 50mb limit on domestic roaming. He said yes, I guess so and told me to "just use wifi whenever you can."

I went ahead with it anyway because, unlimited (I'm in T-Mo's coverage area 95% of the time).

Two other things he told me was after 2.5gigs of tethering, it will continue to work, just at slower speeds. Is this true? I thought it just shuts off.

Also he said I would never be terminated if I use too much domestic roaming voice/data. True? I thought they could boot you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So how much roaming use gets you the ax? Is it unclear on purpose? Guess I'll test and find out.

Edit: found this:

http://www.t-mobile.com/Company/CompanyInfo.aspx?tp=Abt_Tab_Government&tsp=Abt_Sub_LegalNotices#DataRoamingChart

The chart lists metered plans. What about the $70 unlimited? Is it, in fact, truly unlimited use regardless of roaming like the T-Mo rep I spoke with today reaffirmed (the backpedaled saying use wifi when you can)?

Clarification please. Referring to domestic "in the US" roaming in non-TMo areas (i.e. AT&T towers).

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 11, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

b0nes posted:

I know about the app, but how does it hook into the voicemail system? I am dialing a separate number to check my voicemail, not my own.
Edit: it doesn't work for T-mobile Prepaid.

It works with prepaid. I have the $30 T-Mo plan. All you have to do (if you have this plan) is call T-Mo and tell them to disable your voicemail. That way, GV will pick up the call.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Only if they call your GV number. If they call your T-Mobile number they'll get RNA.

e: Unless you answer.

True. This begs the question: if you use GV as your number, why would you even know your prepaid throwaway number? Guess it's up to each person if they ever give that out. I surely don't.

\/ \/ Thanks for the grammar lesson. What I learned is that everyone uses GV and their prepaid number differently. Cool! My point is GV voicemail can pick up the call if you disable T-Mo's prepaid voicemail. It gets further complicated if you give out your number for 2005-esque MMS messaging. If you go that route, things will be confusing and you might as well stop being so cheap and pay for a proper cell plan I guess.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 6, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I tried out T-Mobile (one line, $70 plan) for exactly 5 days. Canceled under "buyers remorse."

Today, I received a bill for $87.

Huh? Did the 3rd party store guy actually not cancel it or something? The bill says "we are sorry to see you canceled our service" or something, so did the dude let it run a full month before canceling it so he could get a new line commission or something?

Heading to that store tomorrow to figure this out. 5 days of service could not possibly be $87.

Edit: the bill says this is past due and they will send to collections. Gee, thanks. First I've seen any bill from you guys.

Called up and the bill was actually $27 and change. Whatever, paid it, off my to-do list.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 21, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/449758675784056833

Legere is doing some great things. This is not one of them. He's trying to say that corporate discounts are old and outdated.

I have news for him.

Edit: a word

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 29, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

This really goes against the whole uncarrier thing they are going for: you only get a one time credit when you purchase phones from them. I would buy it more if they didn't just raise their pricing of unlimited data.

I mean, I get it's confusing with "hey you get a discount through work but only on this $40 of your $100 bill," but people will take a discount every time either way.

Yeah, this move is questionable at best. I know the spin from Legere is attempting to point at "old school fat cat deal closing tools" and such, but anyone who knows how to use a calculator is wise to this.

AT&T: 23% FAN. Applies to $100 data portion of plan.
$100 * 23% = $23 savings each month.
12 months = $276 saved each year, $552 for two years.

T-Mobile:
$25 card each time you get a new phone (every two years?)

So, $552-$25 = $527 difference.

I know his argument will be "but T-Mobile's everyday low, low price will save you more than $527 over the course of two years!" but I disagree with that logic. He's aiming for the "everyday normal guy who just wants an affordable, cool, reasonable wireless carrier who understands the struggle" but it falls apart, IMO.

People love discounts and normally run budgets on a month-to-month basis. Seeing that discount go away will psychologically affect customers, putting loyalty at risk.

My take anyhow. Then again, I have a feeling that many T-Mobile customers don't have a corporate discount anyhow :v:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Legere does know online petitions are useless, right? Anyhow how does TMo handle domestic data roaming (i.e. Montana)? I seem to recall them limiting users to 50mb / month of domestic data. What happens after that? I hope its not overages. Do they kick you off of you use too much roaming data after a few months? That's worse than paying an overage fee to have more data.

At least you can data roam outside of the USA I guess.

And their motivation to have other carriers follow suit makes no sense. If ATT let me go over my data at slower speeds, I would never have a reason to sign up for TMobile.

Its like Legere is trolling just to troll in this case. He must get a high off of it?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 15, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

You need to encrypt it then reset. Otherwise someone can easily use a root app like disk digger to recover all your stuff...a simple reformat isn't safe.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I wish I had noticed that MLB At Bat is free for T-Mobile subscribers before the last day of regular season play. Love these extra little perks.

Doesn't it go free every year this time?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Deathlove posted:

http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial

I did this for my area (which I assumed would result in at least "good" because Chicagoland), and it was great. They just mail you an iPhone 5 and say "enjoy your week!"

I'll spend a week in Montana in a few weeks. Maybe I'll do the trial, go bezerk on data and see what they say/do.

Fun! (they have zero native coverage in the entire state - all roaming).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

nimper posted:

Well I'll be hosed. That's a great reason to switch from the dork plan...

edit:

The one thing that gives me pause is the fact that the 2.5GB cap reverts to 1GB at the beginning of next year. But I suppose I could bump up to the $40 plan at that point and not be too worse for wear.

There's also a "$3 Federal Fee" added in. Only three bucks, but the plan is really $33/$43. Not sure about state taxes either.

I guess if Music Freedom is something you use all the time, it is worth it. If you don't need that, the $35 after autobill on Cricket (it will always be AIO to me) is better for coverage.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

What should I do to when I sell my old Galaxy on Craigslist to ensure that the IMEI won't get flagged? Phone is fully paid off.

If you paid it off just sell it. It won't suddenly become blacklisted for some random reason.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Speaking of the thread title, if you don't follow Legere on Periscope, you need to. He's on right now in his hotel room, dropping F-bombs and trashing other CEOs in general for being yes men. His honesty is refreshing and makes me want to leave AT&T (but I can't because I need Montana coverage).

Edit: he's on now at one of the call centers. He asked for a blonde female employee's number, telling her and everyone she's hot.

Wall Street must be terrified of Periscope and Legere. He's a loose cannon, lol.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 10, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
It appears when I switched to T-Mobile last week, they screwed something up pretty bad. I brought two fully paid off devices (iPhone 6/Note 4) and financed one new iPhone 6 . After logging in and looking through my account, instead of attaching the EIP to the new iPhone we financed, they attached it to my fully paid for Note 4...

Is this as simple as going back and having them fix the issue? i.e. move the EIP from my owned Note 4 to the financed iPhone 6?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I bought the Note 4 locally for $500. Checked the IMEI first (it was in a sealed box) it was clear, so I couldn't return it to the store.

Got it sorted today. They called their people, explained it about 5 times and it was fixed.

Somehow, the rep opened 3 lines, sold us a new iPhone on financing and ended up scanning the barcode of the Note 4 box, effectively attaching the EIP to the Note 4 I paid cash for. It was in their system as an EIP'd iPhone, but the IMEI was a Note 4. Very strange.

It's all fixed now.

Unfortunately for T-Mobile, I then canceled all 3 lines, returned the iPhone (ate the $50 restocking fee) and walked over to AT&T, ported all 3 lines back to AT&T.

Never have I had so many dropped, garbly calls in my life. Even on the Cellspot router. I also ran into serious issues with coverage (rural West US) and had hours of driving with zero data and often no signal at all. On AT&T, it was LTE 90% of the time and HSPA+ the other 10 (on these same drives).

I did look at coverage before switching, yes, but the dropped calls and overall issues I had were too much to gamble with. Also, the AT&T cost for 30gigs (+ data rollover) was within $20/month of T-Mo, so I bailed on the unlimited setup. 50megabytes of domestic roaming is not enough, period. Especially seeing as I can go to Europe and have a data buffet for free. AT&T has T-Mo by the balls in the US with rural data/coverage.

Maybe I'm a jerk, but in the desert boonies, T-Mobile is a serious no-go.

Edit: hold the champagne. Looks like it's not resolved

It's strange because the store manager checked the Note 4's IMEI in his system before I left and said "good to go! No balance and it's clear!"

Guess I have plans for Sunday...grumble. I really don't want to owe some phantom $630+ on a device I already paid $500 for. The iPhone that should have had the EIP attached to it has already been returned to the store. This makes me nervous...

One thing the manager said while on the phone with customer care was they not only released the IMEI from the mistaken EIP attachment, but they will email me an unlock code so I can take the Note 4 to AT&T. I'm skeptical, but hope all of this shakes out as resolved on Monday.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 19, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mr. Bubbles posted:

If I buy the LG G2 D800 (AT&T), is it possible to get wifi calling through T-Mobile working?

Short answer is no. You could root and flash an XDA creation that's an AT&T ROM with WiFi calling shoehorned in, but I'm betting that's jank city.

I finally got TMobile to resolve the EIP issue. The store ended up linking the phantom balance to some poor soul who didn't yet notice. Customer care thanked me for finding this issue and they released the EIP error and I sold the phone same day.

The store employees were jerks about me bothering them with this. I'm just glad they were inept to begin with and ended up getting pissy with me for not being thrilled about it. Gee sorry guys.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
According to the TMo subreddit, unlimited users are now being throttled. Like 0.05 throttled (at ~17 gigs or so).

Guess the truly unlimited party is over.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Merv Burger posted:

It is also only listed on their prepaid site.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

You can also roll into any Walmart and grab a kit from the shelf that's specifically for the nerd plan.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ryangs posted:

Is anyone else pissed off by the incredibly low domestic data roaming caps? When I'm on vacation in an area where I'm roaming on AT&T, I hit the 50MB limit almost immediately. (At least my cap is up to 100MB now that I'm on the 10GB family plan. Great.)

Is there any clever way around this? Or do I just need to learn to turn cellular data off when roaming?

Yep. It's the reason I bailed on 3 lines after 6 short days. The store told me "It's really unlimited even roaming!" I knew better but tested the theory. Went back to the same store and they then clarified. Ok. Anything to get the sale, right bro? Canceled right in the spot.

Nope. Back to ATT. LTE everywhere. Works for me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

LionYeti posted:

Does anyone know if the Moto X Pure supports band 12?

5 second google:

Moto X Pure Edition wireless bands:

UMTS GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (800, 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 28, 40, 41)
CDMA (800, 850, 1900 MHz)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Astro7x posted:

You can now sign up for MLB.TV for free

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/mlb.html?error=NOT_ON_NETWORK

Turn off your Wifi and go to that site. You have a WEEK to do it this year.

Just signed up. It's the full sub...$109 value. You can watch on a computer as well. This $30 Walmart plan is the gift that keeps on giving!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
When I had the nerd plan (no more) it certainly had binge-on and music freedom. The internet always argued with me saying it isn't included and I was wrong, but after streaming music every day and watching literal series of Netflix (all on LTE) I only used like 3gigs/month. Yeah, seems included to me. The math just doesn't work otherwise.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Capt. Morgan posted:

You just need to purchase an activation kit, you can buy one on ebay, T-Mobile, amazon, etc.

When you go to activate, you'll select the plan you want, the nerd plan is the last plan listed towards the bottom of the page.

You may also be able to find the kits in Walmart. The box must specifically say it's eligible for the 30 Dollar 5 GB plan. A few months ago they were extremely hard to find, so maybe Walmart is stopping carrying them.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm looking to leave AT&T after like 10 years. Complicated ~life issues~ that means I'm going to be giving up this AT&T plan:

3 lines
23% FAN discount
15->30 (promo doubled) rollover data...it's a poo poo ton of fully tetherable data (like 40 gigs/month for me)
$161/month all in after taxes.

So now I'm looking at T-Mobile because I no longer travel to bumfuck Montana, etc and it should provide enough coverage where I mainly am (UT/CO, sometimes rural parts of each state).

I mainly stream music and media, so the binge-on and music freedom are attractive. I've combed T-Mobile's plans and have basically rationalized the $95 unlimited plan. The main reason? The 14 gigs of tethering. I am frequently in lovely hotel rooms and tethering has saved my sanity on many occasions because their networks are often crap.

With binge-on/music freedom, paying for unlimited seems kind of dumb, but if I can't tether with any other plan, unlimited is basically my only choice.

Question: is tethering, say, to an iPad Pro allowed via binge-on...as in does it operate on the binge-on plan or come out of the 14gigs of tethering? I know tethering to a computer will use the 14gig bucket, but didn't know if an iOS device was classified as a "phone" somehow. If not and I get the unlimited plan, I may as well turn binge-on off and go nuts streaming? Seems like a silly idea to use binge-on with unlimited if you can't tether an iPad for free streaming. I don't really care about the Tuesday freebies that seem to be ending as fast as they start.

For some reason, I'm super nervous about going to T-Mo...I tried the nerd plan in the past with horrible results. Much of my usage at that time was in the sticks of the Western US, and I understand, band 12 has addressed a lot of this. That and pre-paid coverage seemed pretty limited (no roaming at all).

Any guidance on the tethering/logic of moving to a fully unlimited plan? Just trying to save some cash here and not babysit my data.

Edit: Cricket's truly unlimited for $65 after autopay is tempting, but doesn't allow tethering (I know I can hack around it, don't want to) so that's out. And don't even mention Sprint. gently caress that.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 20, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

If you have Binge On activated and have unlimited high speed streaming stuff shouldn't count against your tethering bucket.

Thanks. Guess I'll have to how poo poo the video quality is on my 12.9" iPad. My guess is horrible.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CrudMonkey posted:

It will be 480p quality with binge on turned on. If you turn it off, which may make sense for you with unlimited plan, then you won't have the throttling done to those streams and can have whatever quality is available.

Wouldn't turning off binge on and tethering to an iPad for, say Netflix then use the 14 gig bucket?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

Binge on works in browser, as well as on a tethered device.

I signed up for the $95 plan on Friday and am starting to think it really doesn't make sense. I mean I tethered my iPad Pro 12.9 to my phone and poo poo if "480p" didn't look just fine. Checked my data today and I've used 0 tethering. I can't imagine using over 6 GB just on the Internet each month.

The 6gig plan would probably be just fine since most music/video streaming is free with BO and MF.

I'm trying to find a way to justify unlimited I guess. Maybe I need to presume binge on and music freedom won't last forever and I'll regret canceling unlimited?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 25, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So I'm on a flight right now (like I am every week). I know I'm late here, but having a free hour of wifi is pretty baller. Att never did poo poo like that.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

isndl posted:

I just received a MMS date-stamped Dec. 31st, 2015. Thanks, T-Mo!

"This is your father. I need help immediately. Please call the police"

:magical:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Can you bring your own device to MetroPCS, or are you stuck with buying a phone from them?

Their $30 plan (unlimited talk, unlimited text, unlimited data (throttled after 1 gb)) is slightly more attractive to me than the T-Mobile Nerd Plan

Any T-mo compatible device (unlocked or branded) if I recall correctly. If it works on T-Mobile, it'll work on MetroPCS.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So keeping the $95 unlimited w/14 gigs LTE speed tethering is still the best idea, right? I do use the tethering a lot.

I always feel like these new plans are a sneaky attempt to get people off of unlimited.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

nimper posted:

The $95 One Plus International plan gets you unlimited full-speed tethering and unlimited HD streaming day passes, and the taxes and fees are rolled into the price.

It's worth a look, but doing the day pass thing is kind of dumb. They really want you to stay on the 480p streaming.

I keep reading this...I mean, save for the silly HD pass gymnastics, this One Plus International plan seems like a much better deal than the ballyhooed unlimited one I'm on, no? What's the catch aside from the HD passes? At the same $95, it seems to identical but with unlimited LTE tethering. That makes sense to me to switch, but I'm always leery of Legere's used-car salesman tactics.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 6, 2017

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

AND IT BEGINS.

lol now my plan is fixed by my 20% discount has vanished, so far I am not blown away by Tmobile's customer service, this seems like some Sprint level poo poo

"Welcome to T-MOBILE and enjoy your 20% fo lyfe!"

1 week later...

"What 20% Lol?"

Hammer TForce on Twitter and godspeed.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

When does this free third line deal end?

Close of business today according to Reddit.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I called t mobile and spoke with a tech (not the first level tech guys) to try to find a way to limit the cell spot to only working with my phone's imei but they said there was no way.

Is there a way to restrict wireless access to only the MAC address of your phone? Most routers have that feature, but not sure about the cell spot. I seem to remember it being a pretty powerful Asus router, but probably crippled T-Mo firmware.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Astro7x posted:

There is also supposed to be a trade in deal for $300 for any iPhone 6 or newer.
So the SE will get $300? It's a 6s in a 5's body, so newer than a 6 according to T-Mo, right?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

What will it mean for T-Mobile costumers? Increased coverage?

Better coverage and higher prices, prolly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

E2M2 posted:

So the deals right now require you to open 2 lines for the free phones?

Looks like it...that's a pretty terrible "black friday" deal, IMO.

And this new 36 month financing is weird...just saw a commercial for the S9, free! (after THREE YEARS of payments). That thing won't even be supported in the last year of payments lol.