Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I am a Costco indirect dealer and since we do Simple Choice I will be posting details about how we can match the T-Mobile deal when I get them. Right now you cannot do the ETF switch at Costco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Okay talked to management at Costco. We can do it here. All the same terms apply but we also give a car charger and screen protectors as well as a $25 bill credit when you do it through us.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

hanabi posted:

About to switch to T-mobile. Trying to add 2 new smartphones, one with 500mb of data and the other with 2.5gb of data. I went to a store and the guy working there said they have to activate any smartphone with a 2.5gb plan standard but that I could call customer support and "probably" switch one of the lines down to 500mb. Is he bullshitting me or is this an actual thing?

He is full of poo poo. Find a different dude.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

dundun posted:

I understand people don't like being locked into 2 year contracts, but paying full price for the phone you're going to be using doesn't seem like a value proposition. Unless you go the ebay/craigslist route and buy something second hand.

2 years on Verizon with Unlimited Talk, Text and 1GB data: 90/mo = $2160 + tax and then pay $99.99 for a Galaxy S4 = 2259.99

2 years on T-Mobile with Unlimited Talk, Text and 2.5GB data: 60/mo = 1440 + tax and then $623.99 for a Galaxy S4 = 2063.99 + tax.

Assuming you get only $200 in credits for the phone you trade in, this drops the total to 1863.99 + tax.

That is a savings of $396 over Verizon and you get more out of it. How does that not seem like a value proposition?

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 10, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It may be worth actually going in person to check for the nerd plan kits because Walmart employees are typically absolutely loving clueless.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Postpaid calls using wifi calling while in other countries works fine and you aren't charged extra.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

mcpringles posted:

Is there any way to tell how much money T-Mobile will give me if I give them my phone to pay for my ETF? I'm thinking of switching but if my phone won't cover it I might just try selling it online instead.

If you trade a phone in it almost always will cover the ETF. You may not get any trade in value above that, though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I recently bought an iPad on the 1GB plan and I love the free streaming. I'm just going to be disappointed when the $10 off promotion ends in January.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Costco was running them for $504 with $100 worth of mail in rebates, and then the rep messed up and gave me an additional $20 off by keying in the EIP wrong. That ended today, though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Definitely lean hard on the 14 day return policy to try it. I lived in the Thornydale/Ina area and worked out at Rita Rd in Tucson and my T-Mobile phone barely worked or didn't work at all in either of those areas and mostly just worked downtown. Works fine up here in Phoenix, though!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I know in Phoenix at least when we first started paying off people's ETFs we ran out of phone numbers and were expressly forbidden from issuing temporary numbers like that. I don't know if that's still the case.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Tivac posted:

My wife has gone over her 500mb limit in the past two months for the first time in forever. The web UI shows her as sometimes having used addas much as 180mb in a single day, which is insane. There's no way her usage was that high and the phones data usage settings confirm that.

Do we have any options? This seems like a problem with tmobiles days usage scripts, but I dunno how I argue for that to a rep. It's especially annoying because she is on the $40 plan which doesn't drop you to edge speeds like everything else.

What phone is she using? There's been a lot of updates rolling out lately and 180-250MB is consistent with an OS update. I'm not sure that shows under data usage.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

How much are you paying for T-Mobile currently and why don't you want to do the financing/Jump?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If you put the information in when you order, it'll be when you order. Just order it and don't enter any port information if it asks.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

That makes the nerd plan a lot more attractive if I ever lose my employee pricing.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I work for an indirect that has only smartphones and we had a girl who only used prepaid and refused to get a smartphone because she hated them.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I think that the ATT LG G2 doesn't support WCDMA 1700 and that may be what LTE in your area uses.

EDIT: Yep

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-D800-g2

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 15, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I read it wrong, then. Oops. No idea how to fix it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I have a $72 (3/mo) flip phone I finance for people all the time w/ the ETF promotion when they're keeping their phones from ATT/Verizon.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, whatever's cheapest works.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Amusingly, T-Mobile is the only service that really works inside of any Costco, for some reason.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I work in those kiosks and this is not the case.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

They didn't transition you off of that? :psyduck:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i accept $15 flip phones from tracfone for trade ins all the time

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

bryn987 posted:

Does Tmobile not have shared data plans? Looking to get 2 lines but would like to share data as my wife never uses all of hers

You could just keep her on the 1GB and get a higher package for yourself.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

You are. When the account is classified as a family plan, it changes the charges in the system to 80 + 10(x) + features.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I come across this occasionally at work and I am 99.9% sure that it's because you have cellular data turned off.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

Remember that 4-line, 10gb promo? What happens if you downgrade to 3 lines?

You lose the promo.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Just a heads up, the 4 lines with 10GB is back as well as a new promotion that includes unlimited everything for 2 lines for $100. If you have an existing account you can be changed over to these. The only thing with the unlimited eveything for $100 plan is that any subsequent lines HAVE to be $40/mo and will include everything unlimited as well. You can't pick any lower tiers.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Neat, my tablet with 1GB is gonna be eligible for this. I was considering going down to the 200mb plan but now I am probably gonna maintain the plan to have a bunch of data built up for if I travel.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Once the promotion ends, you keep everything you have, you just won't be able to pick it up on any additional lines.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

That plan doesn't get throttled.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I think they make their money off of getting rid of phone subsidies at this point. It's something to do with tax and wholesale prices that I don't really understand, tbh.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If you're on a plan with limited minutes then yes, it counts against them.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

T-Mobile's network will be able to tell the difference. I believe the only network this would actually work on is Verizon's.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I can guarantee it works on Verizon because I'm also a Verizon rep and I currently use a Mobile Broadband device on an old unlimited line :toot:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Where are you seeing the Avants for $100? I need a phone to park on my T-Mobile dealer line I don't really use but want for international purposes.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The Avant's specs are a lot better than the Moto E (if you can get it for $100.)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Correct. It's only for post paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Luceo posted:

Does it actually need Sprint markings? I have an extra half-working AT&T S3 from my MIL and an old Verizon DroidX. :v:

I've taken freshly purchased tracphones