Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I currently have service with another carrier, and I want to purchase a new, unlocked iPhone 8 and join T-Mobile. I want to purchase the phone outright, and not finance/lease it from Tmo.

Should I buy unlocked from the Apple Store, then go to a Tmo store? Will Tmo sell me an unlocked device if I purchase from their store? What is the best course of action?

My current phone is owned outright and I am not under contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

TMobile has BOGO iPhones right now. You should buy from t mobile and get two iPhones.

Do I have to open two lines to get two phones? I only want one line for myself.

e: According to this page you have to finance both phones, and put each of them on a line. So this is a no-go for me.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 4, 2018

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Last I checked T-Mobile sells their phones locked. If you go to Apple , buy it outright, then go to T-Mobile you’re fine.

Note that their are two iPhone 8 models Apple sells. One only works on T-Mobile and ATT, One works on those two plus Verizon and sprint. The unlocked one should be the latter, which is A1863, but I would double check when you get the iPhone.

https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-8-plus-model-number-differences/
Cool, thanks. I had seen there were two models of the iPhone 8 when researching, but thanks for the heads up that the Apple store has both. I figured they just sold the one that worked on everything.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Someone on Reddit said it was iPhone 6 or later after talking to a rep.

poo poo, I can trade my old 6S in and then sell my current 8 for cash and come out pretty nice :q:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
One of my local stores called me about the promotion, and they said the credit is available as a monthly credit if you put the phone on a lease, and if you want to buy the phone outright you get a smaller credit.

Seems like the best deal is to still just buy the phone and sell your current phone, if you're able to front the cost for the new one.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I still have an iPhone 8, and I've been waiting for the 14 as my phone has started really showing it's age the past few months.

I am guessing no one is going to offer anything for the 8, and my best option for it is to sell it on FB or SA-Mart or something?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

According to the leaked deal offer if you’re on Magenta Max T-Mobile will give you $400, if not they’ll give you $200. Based on Swappa prices that may be pretty reasonable based on your device condition.
I can't remember the plan I'm on, but its not Magenta Max. It's an older one that's $70/mo after taxes. And yeah, I looked at their site and it looks like I'd get $200. Comps on Swappa are in the $140-$160 range, so I guess taking the $200 would be better.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Anyone have any idea if T-Mo is going to do the MLB.TV special again this year? I know they have the past couple years, just trying to figure out what I need to plan for this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I’m currently one a One plan, and traveling for work. I noticed that when I turn on my hotspot (iPhone 14) the speed on my laptop is a lot slower than my phone for accessing the same things. So I looked in the TMobile app and it says my account is using the free hotspot, which is 3g speed.

When I go to the Account tab, it shows the One Plan Plus, +$15/mo, and it includes 20GB of high speed mobile hotspot data.

2 questions: If I enable this, can I go back to the regular One plan when I get back home as easily as just clicking the button in the app? Or will it be a pain in the rear end? And two, will my speed on my laptop connected to my hotspot be as fast as my phone is? I’m in a good service area and my phone usually shows 3-4 bars of 5GUC.

Sorry if these are noob questions. Never really used a hotspot before.

Edit: I went on the chat in the t mobile app and they confirmed I can add the faster hotspot deal, then change back to the free one, at any time. But it hits for the current billing cycle and doesn’t pro-rate, which for me is fine.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 26, 2023