Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the unlimited data plan like in practice? I'm thinking about switching from my 2gb plan and actually using my phone for streaming music and stuff, but is the plan just the typical "we give you 5gb and throttle the poo poo out of you after that" crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

surc posted:

I think I remember reading that they throttle you on the unlimited once you reach 10TB of data. So, uh, don't back up your hard drive to your phone over their network a bunch, and you should be fine.

I use google play music and netflix all the time, and have never had throttling issues.

Thanks guys, I just switched to an unlimited plan last night and it feels great being able to use my smartphone how I want without having to worry about paying fines or being throttled.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shadokin posted:

Not a typo. We will be doing 5900 miles a week. The data usage (and price) is why I really want T-Mobile to pan out. My experience with it in the past had been if you weren't in a major city it was garbage.

Hey phones aside and stuff that's a really stupid thing to do.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh thank god. I kept finding instructions on how to do that through the app on the phone but they never worked.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

SMS isn't guaranteed. It's best effort only. So, there could be any number of reasons why you never got them.

Also there's a massive problem with people who switch to Android phones from iPhones because of iMessage. I think they're getting sued over it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I think it's just a great idea that actually isn't a great idea. In my mind it would have to be all music services or no music services, and how do you cover every small music app out there?

Why does it have to be all of them? If they cover the most popular ones then that works as a benefit for the majority of people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They push Wifi Calling because they can market it as seamless compensation for lovely coverage. I just leave it off because I get decent coverage at home, and when I actually need it and am on hotel wifi it's complete garbage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Put in an order for an iPhone 6 today using the trade-in offer from an iPhone 4. The clerk said to expect a 6 week wait, but I thought the 6 wasn't as in short supply as the 6+?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Did they say how the trade in works if the phone actually takes 6 weeks to arrive?

I asked them if they'd honor the $201 value and they said yes, and that it'd be a "deferred trade-in" where I have to mail out the phone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kanish posted:

When you go to your order status page, there will be a little text line "Delivery Method", in google chrome, right click that and hit "Inspect Element" and there should be a line nearby that says "div id="orderDetailsEstDelDate" style="display: none;"

IF you click the little arrow to expand that line, you may get something in there, mine for example :

<span class="ui_body_bold">Estimated delivery : </span><span class="estimatedDeliveryDate">10/03/2014</span>
</div>

It was something thrown around on MacRumors, so take it with a grain of salt. But it at least gives me some hope haha.

Mine says 23 September, but the order is still processing. So, yeah, take it with a grain of salt.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trip Daddy X posted:

Anyone know? Looking to buy a phone but want to make sure.

This might help:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2014/09/what-phone-works-with-which-operator.html

Looks like you'll really suffer when it comes to data connections since TMobile uses 1700 for 3G and primary LTE.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If I'm not happy with the storage capacity on my new iPhone (16gb), do I have any options for exchanging it and paying the difference? I'm kind of kicking myself for not ordering the 64gb.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I imagine it'd be a speaker only sort of affair

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is it universal that employees at T-Mobile stores are completely unempowered? I wanted to exchange my 16 GB iPhone 6 for a larger one, but they said they couldn't accept returns in store if I ordered the phone through that store, and said if I wanted to do the exchange I'd have to return the phone, wait for it to get processed, then order the new phone and wait for that to get shipped (even if the store or one nearby has one available). I decided not to bother.

I also had an issue where they screwed up some aspect of my iPhone 4 trade-in, so I never got a shipping label or record on my account for it. Their solution was "Return the iPhone 6, wait for it to get processed, then bring your iPhone 4 into the store so we can start over again and order you a new iPhone 6." All that just to get the trade-in credit. I ended up calling customer service and talked to a nice guy who noticed that the retail store had never set me as the primary account holder when I opened the account through them, so that meant I wasn't seeing the trade-in info like I should.

It seems like T-Mobile might as well replace their corporate stores with a loving vending machine and a telephone.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 4, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Took me 3 weeks and you have to enter the RMA info in the trade-in status page to check on it. I'm still waiting to get my account credited, which they said would take a billing cycle or two.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just got a text from T-Mobile today saying $201 was credited to my account for the iPhone 4 16 GB I sent in a while ago.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LionYeti posted:

how long was a while cause I sent them my moto x about a month ago and have gotten nothin.

3 weeks to a month.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

r0ck0 posted:

Your phone is a communications device and you should not be running torrents on it. Oops is the wrong thread for that?

Is there a proper thread for making up nonsense about how people are supposed to use their computers?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm going through a bit of a swappa nightmare right now do to an issue with T-Mobile's IMEI checker. I paid off a phone last year, sold it on Sunday, and sent it out on Monday with a clean IMEI. Two days later, swappa staff and the buyer check the IMEI on http://www.t-mobile.com/verifyimei.aspx and it now shows up as being financed. Funny thing is, all the phones I've paid off on my account show up as under finance.

Anyone had to deal with this before? T-Mobile tech support hasn't been able to do much for me besides say "weird, our systems say your phone's paid off. good luck convincing the buyer tho lol"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boy, I guess nobody's ever had to deal with this before.

After getting T-Mobile to send the buyer an email directly saying the IMEI was clear and that their webpage was screwing up, the buyer opted to return the device because he didn't feel comfortable. Who knows how Swappa is going to handle this one, I'm probably going to get lovely feedback and look like a dick even though I did my best to work with everyone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hotsauce posted:

If you paid it off just sell it. It won't suddenly become blacklisted for some random reason.

hmm

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I'm going through a bit of a swappa nightmare right now do to an issue with T-Mobile's IMEI checker. I paid off a phone last year, sold it on Sunday, and sent it out on Monday with a clean IMEI. Two days later, swappa staff and the buyer check the IMEI on http://www.t-mobile.com/verifyimei.aspx and it now shows up as being financed. Funny thing is, all the phones I've paid off on my account show up as under finance.

Anyone had to deal with this before? T-Mobile tech support hasn't been able to do much for me besides say "weird, our systems say your phone's paid off. good luck convincing the buyer tho lol"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

And that's why I'm asking.

It's craigslist so that's kind of a different story. If it shows up clean when the buyer checks it before the meet then no problem. My issue was that T-Mobile hosed up something on their side when the phone was in transit to the buyer, and Swappa alerted him to the change. If the phone is actually paid off on your end then T-Mobile isn't actually going to block if for any reason.

also you have to wait for the next billing cycle for the IMEI to show up as clear after you pay the phone off.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

This may once again be my naivety, but who is watching ~50 hours of Netflix a month on a phone with no other internet connection? (I presume the person watching all this content would choose the 'good' setting since clearly you're not in it for a pristine viewing experience on a 6" or less screen).

It's not actually hard to imagine someone watching a tv show episode on their lunch break and steaming high quality music at their desk all day and when commuting