Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008
Can you really just trade in any eligible phone? I have 2 dumb phones that may be in the system (haven't checked) but wouldn't they be like, uhhhh you had an $85 month smart phone plan with Sprint; why are you giving us this $20 dumb phone?

EFT deal question: can I switch over to T-Mobile, stay on the $50/month plan until the EFT stuff goes through (assuming 3 months ish?), and then buy a new SIM, sign up as a new prepaid customer for the Nerd plan, and then port my phone #? I'm trying to decide between that option and waiting out my current contract until June. Switching now would be cheaper than waiting it out by over $200 (total yearly cost), as long as I can get on the $30/month plan eventually. Cost of the phone upfront (when I get off the $50/month contract) is not an issue; I'm planning on the Nokia 521 (plus an iPod touch to replace the 4s; if I wait it out I'm stuck with the locked 4s for about the same total yearly cost).

dundun posted:

I understand people don't like being locked into 2 year contracts, but paying full price for the phone you're going to be using doesn't seem like a value proposition. Unless you go the ebay/craigslist route and buy something second hand.

It is cheaper for people who have the cash and don't want to upgrade all the time. I'm happy to keep my phone until it stops working; hopefully that is more than 2-3 years. Even in 2 year increments, it is cheaper to buy outright.

$600 phone, cost over 2 years

Sprint: $2,240 (pay $200 up front, $85/month plan)
T-Mobile Option A: $1,320 (pay $600, get on $30/month plan)
T-Mobile Option B: $1,800 (cost of $600 phone plus $50/month plan)

If you want to keep that phone for year 3, you're then paying $85/month to Sprint still but only $30-$60/month to T-Mobile. 2 years of Sprint at $85/month is $2,040.

I say this out of experience because I bought an iPhone with Sprint which is at the end of it's contract and which I'd like to keep using but not for $85/month. By the end of the contract I will have paid Sprint $680 (Assuming $20/month of the bill goes toward the phone cost.) for a locked phone that is worth $100 if I'm lucky. gently caress that. If Sprint pulls a "free" 5S out of it's rear end I'd still be on the hook for an $85/month 2-year contract. I could buy a new 5S upfront, use it with T-Mobile, and pay less total over 2 years. Then I could sell it for more if I want to get rid of it because it's unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU