Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I am highly considering switching me + husband to T-Mobile because of the amazing ETF deal they have going on right now. But let me ask a couple questions. If we wanted unlimited data w/simple choice, is that $20 per line or is that $20 just charged once? I love the idea of $0 up front for a Gnex 5 too. However, if we both pay monthly for phones, then it might put the price close to what Verizon wants to charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

$120/month for both of us with unlimited still beats this month's $190/month Verizon bill, though! Even if we each got a new iPhone 5S, for $25/month each (so $50 total) we'd beat Verizon by $20. And that's without considering credit for trading in our devices which would bring the device payments lower. The Gnex 5 was only $16/month, probably less with credit.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

All right, so we switched, but how long is it going to take our numbers to port? It's been over two hours. I am really hoping it doesn't take a full 24. :(

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Techokami posted:

From personal experience with the above, it depends on the old carrier. You should get a text when it switches over, and you should have at least a temp number to make calls with while you wait.

We each got a text that our old numbers are switched. But now we can only call each other. I was able to call the T-Mobile customer service for help, but when they tried to call my husband it went straight to voice mail. My phone does not get any incoming calls other than my husband either. And my friends aren't getting test texts I'm sending either. T-Mobile said we probably just have to give the port more time, but I'm really impatient. Hopefully by tomorrow morning it goes through fully.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

My new Samsung Galaxy S4 has wifi calling on it. I'm not sure if this is a T-Mobile thing but it might be. Anyways, if we go travel, and I use wifi calling from a hostel/hotel, is that charged per minute in a foreign country, or is that only if I call using cell towers?

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

We just did JUMP! and I got an iPhone 5S and my husband got the LG G3. However, I kind of have buyers remorse--I don't really like being on a payment plan.

If I were to outright buy a Google Nexus 5, could I go back to the T-Mobile store and just give back my iPhone? It would knock money off our bill by not having the JUMP! payment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Shif posted:

How do you like the iPhone 5S, and your husband the G3? I'm in the military and a good chunk of my buddies who own an iPhone have broken or cracked screens.

Wow, I'm really late--sorry!

I really don't like the iPhone 5S, but the qualifier to not liking it is that for my work, we use Google everything (Gmail, Drive, G+, Docs, Voice, etc). Android, for obvious reasons, was way more friendly for this. Although I've been able to download the full suite of Google apps to my iPhone they just don't seem to play as nice. I really do think I'm going to give it back and just outright buy a GNex though because it would work a lot better for me.

My husband likes the LG G3, but I feel like it's just really big. He says battery life is meh at best. But he's a very heavy video watcher/music listener. If you're just using it for calls/e-mails/texts it might be better. :)

e: husband is military, no issues with him breaking phones, but we always get good cases for them. I put my iPhone in an Otterbox Defender.