Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's only when I go on vacation and I've got better things to do than dick off on my phone, so that's not too big of a deal. Is that something I can get ahead of time and just activate whenever or do I have to sign up each time?

If you just need data look at the ATT tablet plans ($30 for 3Gb) and just use it data only. Nexus 7 with LTE or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Ugh... I just tried calling AT&T and they are telling me I have to go to a store to reset my account AT&T Account Passcode. Why do I have a feeling that the person was just lazy and bullshitting me?

If the pass code was not lining up that is what you would have to do. Call again to check but you may have to stop by quick.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Actually it's awesome, what blows is paying the $200 then paying an inflated bill that shanked you for more than the remaining $400 over the next year alone, then never getting a lower bill after your contract runs out.

but what do I know, some people are so bad with money they literally do not know they're paying for something unless they get beaten over the head with the fact, and get mad about paying less in total because they thought they were previously getting something for free despite paying more.

Yeah, explaining this to people is a daily struggle. I will def say that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

His posting:

This really goes against the whole uncarrier thing they are going for: you only get a one time credit when you purchase phones from them. I would buy it more if they didn't just raise their pricing of unlimited data.

I mean, I get it's confusing with "hey you get a discount through work but only on this $40 of your $100 bill," but people will take a discount every time either way.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Legere does know online petitions are useless, right? Anyhow how does TMo handle domestic data roaming (i.e. Montana)? I seem to recall them limiting users to 50mb / month of domestic data. What happens after that? I hope its not overages. Do they kick you off of you use too much roaming data after a few months? That's worse than paying an overage fee to have more data.

At least you can data roam outside of the USA I guess.

And their motivation to have other carriers follow suit makes no sense. If ATT let me go over my data at slower speeds, I would never have a reason to sign up for TMobile.

Its like Legere is trolling just to troll in this case. He must get a high off of it?

I

Stick100 posted:

Well the name of the thread is "Our CEO trolls your CEO." Also you'd be amazed how much traction poo poo like this gets inside corporate headquarters. For some reason people who work at carriers (that I've met) are really high strung, proud of their service, and worried about these sort of things.

I wouldn't be surprised if this got Sprint to drop overages and probably ATT would shortly follow.

I bet in a couple weeks TMobile starts a TV ad campaign calling the other carriers out for this.

Compare ATT plans from last September to current. It's mind blowing how much lower they are, and with better options, as a response to TMobile.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hey tmobile reps, if you have someone who has an installment plan, not a contract, does tmobile still pay a portion of that? Aka someone got a iphone 5S for $650 3 months ago, and now is at $575 remaining.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

Holy poo poo, stream music that doesn't count against your bandwith (unlimited anyway). I'm breaking my loving ATT contract....

as soon as they support google all access :smith:

Yeah, I think it's just a great idea that actually isn't a great idea. In my mind it would have to be all music services or no music services, and how do you cover every small music app out there?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Why does it have to be all of them? If they cover the most popular ones then that works as a benefit for the majority of people.

Not stating from a consumer perspective, more from an open Internet perspective.

I have RDio right now, but if I was tmobile customer I would consider switching because of that. So basically it's the same slope that Netflix is fighting Verizon and the others over. Just because tmobile is being nicer over it doesn't mean it won't set a standard that other companies won't abuse.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shif posted:

I'm not sure exactly how much the bill is since I'm not the primary account holder. As to why I wouldn't want the financing/JUMP!: I hate owing money; I prefer to pay in entirety for things I can control (eg. not a car/house).

Browsing a couple reviews, I probably would NOT be interested in the new LG G3 considering it's horrible viewing angle (WTF LG? :bang:). Guess I'll just wait until the next Galaxy makes its way onto shelves.

The next Galaxy is either the Note in November or the S6 (or whatever) in April. Personally, I would just say now is a good time to buy a Galaxy phone, you would kind of be suffering and waiting for no reason.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

We just did JUMP! and I got an iPhone 5S and my husband got the LG G3. However, I kind of have buyers remorse--I don't really like being on a payment plan.

If I were to outright buy a Google Nexus 5, could I go back to the T-Mobile store and just give back my iPhone? It would knock money off our bill by not having the JUMP! payment.

Yeah that would be fine. Not sure if T-Mobile has a restock fee, but it would be a savings either way.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shif posted:

How do you like the iPhone 5S, and your husband the G3? I'm in the military and a good chunk of my buddies who own an iPhone have broken or cracked screens.

Both iPhone and Android currently have the same screen quality. Neither is really more likely to break or not break than the other.

If you are worried, get a glass screen protector like Bodyguardz.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Insane Totoro posted:

It's probably still more expensive than TMo. SOMEHOW

Beef isn't cool enough for working Corp and switched to Indirect. That's part of it (although I think they get decent plans).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Resonance22 posted:

Believe me, I've tried. I've went to several different t mobile stores several times each over the last 20 days and every single time they've refused to take my phones. The best I've gotten was "We don't care what carrier it's from as long as it's not T-Mobile."
I've given up on retail stores but am now crazy paranoid that T-Mobile online isn't going to take my phones and I'll be stuck with Verizon etf. Can anyone who's done it online and turned in tmobile phones reassure me?

The promotion is paying for ETFs for switching from another carrier. Personally, I can see why they won't accept T-Mobile phones. My argument as a rep would be "well, you had 2-3 lines on Verizon, where are those phones?" And if its that you sold them to get more money than the trade in, I think you can afford to buy some cheap non T-Mobile poo poo phone so you can also get the ETF credit. Unless I'm missing something I don't think that extra effort being requested from you is unreasonable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="436708226"]
What is T-Mobile even doing with all these phones? Refurbishing them and filling insurance replacement requests with them?

That would be my honest bet with all the companies. They do also refurb and sell some of them to customers direct at a lower price ($50-100 less for a refurb 5C for instance).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mo_Steel posted:

Got sent here from the suggestions thread, so if I'm understanding the process right to grab the Nerd Plan:

1. I buy a phone from T-Mobile: Thinking the Google Nexus 5.
2. When it arrives, I activate it through the phone online and select the $35 plan?

The plan is $30 a month, not $35. Also, the general recommendation is the Moto X first ten is selling for cheap ($225-250) on eBay and elsewhere, so I would look into that. The N5 is nice, but the X is pretty much equal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Answer will probably be no, but if I bought a phone on EBay whose IMEI is reported lost on T-Mobile's IMEI checker, is there any hope they will remove it from the block list now?

Only if the person who reported it lost reports it found and ok.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

If I'm just on T-Mobile's free 200 MB/month data plan, will they send me a femtocell/signal booster?

The signal outside my house is good on 4G/HSPA (4 "dots", ~2550 KBps average), and simply OK on LTE (two "dots", ~950 KBps average). While I'm outside, my iPad connects to 4G over LTE presumably because the signal is stronger and that's fine, but inside my house it's absolute garbage (one "dot" of 4G averages about 40 KBps, if I'm lucky). I realize they have been sending out an Asus RT AC-68U to some people, but I don't want that since it wouldn't help anything — not only would it not improve my LTE signal, I already have my own AC-68U.

Since I'm also not actually paying for T-Mobile service, I don't really want to pay for this either. If it's going to be expensive, then gently caress it, but if it's reasonably cheap and they're willing to send it out I'd go for it.

If you already have wifi, why don't you just use that?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jose Pointero posted:

Ugh, I feel so lost...
For the past 3.5 years I've had a company cell phone. Now I'm switching companies and they don't provide a phone so I'm looking into getting my own service again.

Work in IT, need a lot of data for doing IT thangs (my current phone says I've used 13GB this cycle). Use hotspot mode occasionally.
I don't talk at all, except for when I do. Basically I never use voice unless I'm on a Cisco TAC or VMware support call, sometimes these last like 10 continuous hours.

So from looking around, it looks like the T-mo $80 unlimited talk/data plan is what I need (yes I realize it has a 20GB cap or something, I can deal with that). I've based this on looking at every other carrier websites and seeing that they all now charge $$$ for 5GB plans now? Or did I miss something there?

I want Android but don't want any manufacturer hacked-in glitchy bullshit on it, so should probably stick with the latest Nexus.

But, what happened to paying like $200 for the phone and being on a 2 year contract? I was fine with that. Now it looks like my options are A: Add $30 to my monthly bill or B: Buy the phone outright on ebay or something for like $500 used. Is this all we can do now? I remember the last time I had my own service I was paying like $75 a month and getting a new iphone every 18 months for $200. What happened?

Sorry if this post just seems like I'm whining, but it feels like I stepped out of a time warp to an alternate cellular universe or something. This there a Good Thing here that I'm missing?

Yeah, two year contracts are gone in the U.S. I think you are remembering the rates wrong though, T-Mobile plans definitely went down when they went to non contract status. So what I would tell you is that from the time you were on your company phone cell plans went up to pay for expensive contracts, then back down because phones went to no contract outright purchases.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

The problem that is causing the disconnect for a lot of people is that most carriers didn't lower prices when doing this. They kept plans roughly the same price they always were and then on top of that force you to buy your own phone/payment plan. So people initially think they're getting screwed, which they are, but for different reasons.

They didn't lower it at first, but later both Verizon and ATT switched it up and offered a somewhat lower plan for buying phones outright (mileage may vary).

Lord knows they still don't make it easy to understand and they def don't offer lower plans on old unlimited plans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrownieVK posted:

What would be the best plan for two lines, all I care about is at least 4GB of data me and my wife barely call or text. I'm probably going to grab two Moto G's and I would be dumping Sprint. T-Mobile doesn't have issues porting numbers over does it? Also any of you guys around the Pittsburgh/western PA area that can comment on the service coverage map looks good to me.
Thanks

The TMobile family plan is $70 + $50 = $120 for lines one and two with 5GB each of data. If you can get by with 3GB each it would be $60 + $40 = $100 monthly.

If you really don't call a lot, TMobile prepaid is $30 a line for 100 mins, unlimited text and 5GB of data. So each of you would get 100 mins ($0.10 a min after that), text and data, total is $60 monthly.

In PA in general TMobile gets spotty once you are outside the city, but I'm on the other side of the state so I don't know pittsburgh that well. Not sure if there are different policies on roaming on TMobile prepaid or postpaid, but I know between TMobile and roaming you would almost always have at least voice coverage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrownieVK posted:

Thanks this helps alot, I was thinking of switching to TING but two prepaid lines @$30 each sounds perfect for us, I would be going from $160 down to that. Does T-Mobile have tower roll out plans listed online anywhere I know Sprint sucks but to their credit they did a rollout program and it was pretty accurate I had a massive increase in speeds and signal but still $160 a month for surfing in chrome away from home is kind of silly.

I don't think they do.

I worked at Sprint when they launched the tower rollout, and to be fair it's a really bad business decision. The next corp meeting I was at had a whole section discussing combatting marketing from Verizon, who had taken the data and emailed it to sprint business customers stating that even sprint knows the network is not good, come over here, etc.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daily Forecast posted:

So this seems like the thread to ask. Any T-Mobile employees in this thread? I really, really wanna get out of food service and T-Mobile retail seems like a pretty okay job, based on my interactions with them in the store. They always seem pretty upbeat, but then again I guess they're paid to be.

My understanding is that they're paid a pretty basic wage, and then they get pretty decent commission, especially around when a new hot iPhone/Samsung is released? Anything horrifying I should know before I apply?

I don't work for T-Mobile, but I've done wireless for 6 years, first at Sprint Indirect (franchise company), then ATT corp and now Big Red.

One thing to keep in mind, for all 4 carriers, is there are both franchise companies that basically own the store and resell service, and then there are company owned stores. The difference is that company owned almost always tends to pay more than Indirect, but of course that means the jobs are harder to get.

Overall, doing well completely hinges on being willing to sell. It's a sales job, not a retail job. It isn't used car sales, so you don't have to like, fleece people, lie cheat and steal. But you have to be willing to up sell, have to be open to pushing what the company wants to sell, etc. device knowledge isn't a big deal, the people who do best tend to not know the most about the device. Above all, you just have to be a people person and be willing to spend all day getting people to open up on basic details of their lives.

If you do all that, you will have good sales numbers, which means your manager is nice to you and you don't get poo poo on. If you are bad at sales, most managers will eventually give you hell until it's fixed. If you are good at sales, you will also make decent money. Most sales reps at the company stores will do $45-60K their first year if they are good.

Personally, I overall love it, I'm competitive and just balance between solid sales and solid service. It can be done, just have to be open and always be up selling. Not everyone buys, but if you talk to everyone about everything while buildings rapport enough people will buy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

I have 40 people in my company on a Verizon corporate plan. We pay $5000 a month average, and we're based in Boston. Some people roam to Canada, the UK, or California.

Since all of the phones we have are unlocked iPhone 5/6, I was looking into changing us over to T-Mobile. They'll give us the same unlimited voice/text and 100gb data bucket for about $1000 a month instead of $5000. Apparently Canada/Mexico doesn't count as roaming, and international data doesn't cause a huge overage, they simply reduce the speed if needed (Verizon is on edge mode when I went to France/UK anyways, so probably not much difference there).

I'm trying to get the migration approved, but some people have serious reservations about the coverage: "Isn't it a way worse network than Verizon?". From what I can see, it is actually somewhat better than Verizon in Boston. If I tell the CEO he has to switch to this sim card, am I going to sorely regret it? I mean, there's no contract and I can port numbers back and forth so I suppose anything is reversible, I'm just wondering how coverage is realistically going to be versus Verizon. Many of the execs have homes in Middle of Nowhere Massachuetts so that's one of the main concerns... most of the roaming is to other major metro areas for business.

Honest opinions? Does anyone here administer a corporate plan for their company? If anyone does and could PM me what company and your thoughts, it'd help me build my case.

My opinion:

Leave the CEO, other important people, and those who rely on travel on Verizon. Assume that's about 10 people.

Switch the other 30 to T-Mobile and still save some money.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Akbar posted:

Dag. Thanks for the helpful information, though. Guess I'll put this on ebay or something. What's the going rate for a CDMA-unlocked 32gb HTC One M7 in good condition?

Not a lot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Axiem posted:

Huh. When I looked at the website, I didn't see anything about a $7 credit. Though ultimately, I'm more concerned with that up-front down payment, less the fancy deals they have going on. It changes the calculus on whether or not it's worth actually upgrading my phone each year.

If I have a phone on AT&T that's no longer on the subsidy contract, I should be able to bring it over to T-Mobile no problems, right? Or will I have to trade it in and buy a new phone from T-Mobile?

Att.com/deviceunlock

Takes like, 2 hours for them to approve it normally, although it can take longer. Then you can pop in the T-Mobile SIM card and be good to go.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LionYeti posted:

Just show that you're eager to sell you know the product. Not like in the weeds nerdshit just what makes you want to buy this expensive phone over this cheap phone.

I posted some advice a page or two back on applying. I forget if it was in response to you or someone else, but to make sure: you are aware that T-Mobile would be a sales job yes? So the best thing in the interview is to show sales and customer service abilities. And reminder that yo would have a quota to meet every month, which you are comfortable with?

If you haven't stopped by a store that you applied to to briefly introduce yourself, def do that (but for gods sake wear khakis and a polo, not Bermuda shorts).

How old are you, and how much experience do you have? Have you applied to just corporate, or to resellers as well? Corporate is better for sure, but sometimes if you don't have experience (and something like cashier at Krogers really doesn't count) you may have an easier time working for a reseller, then switching to corporate when you have more experience.

And finally: don't get me wrong, T-Mobile is fine, but why are you limiting yourself to just them? Apply to Verizon, ATT, Sprint, they all are pretty similar to start at.

Anyway, there's more, but it's probably a thread derail at this point. If you want further advice, feel free to message me, I've worked 6 years for every carrier but T-Mobile now, so I know what to do pretty well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daily Forecast posted:

I don't have PMs :downs:

I'm aware it would be sales and I'm comfortable with "do your job or get out". I find the idea of a commission job pretty cool because seeing some sort of reward for good performance is a totally alien concept to me in all my other jobs I've ever had, where hard work meant you lined the pockets of some fucker you would never meet or care about. I did introduce myself and they seemed very positive about the idea of getting me an interview at least (was today told to expect a call tomorrow), and the hiring manager and I laughed and joked about innocuous stuff the couple times I've met her, so she seems to like me. I wore slacks and a button-down shirt, which may have been too formal? Went for two corporate stores.

28, five years of experience in customer service, management and training, but it's all been in the food industry.

And would it not be weird to be on T-Mobile but apply for AT&T and Sprint and such? I dunno, I guess I didn't do it because I thought it might be a conflict of interest. Would they not care?

No they wouldn't care what carrier you have. The care is on if you are personable, open to learning and driven to make money (aka sales).

You dressed fine. I've had way too many people show up in shorts.

You're a good candidate, so keep pushing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daily Forecast posted:

Jesus Christ, what are you doing with your phone? Do you steam netflix over data or something?

No judgement, I'm honestly curious. I've just got the complimentary 1GB on my T-Mobile plan and I don't even hit that some months.

So anyway I got turned down for T-Mobile :( One of the stores I applied to, the manager said that I was "a really good candidate", just that there was only one spot and somebody else applied with more (any) sales experience. She said to try again in a couple months. I guess I shall.

So apply to other companies in the meantime? Or apply at a dealer so you get that experience?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't like the precedent this sets?

If mobile audio and video are what's causing the majority of people to use their bandwidth, why not just make unlimited bandwidth for everyone as standard, instead of basically going "this site is okay, this isn't, this counts, this doesn't count". This is essentially what the net neutrality crowd is afraid of, that an ISP will basically control which services go through the network free and which cost "extra" (for this, in terms of bandwidth usage).

At the end of the day, it's basically saying "you're paying $X a month for unlimited access to these services, but all other services you have to use your allotted bandwidth to access as well". I get that people are all excited because FREE INTERNET STREAMING, but I can't see why this isn't better than just cutting the data packages all together and giving unlimited across the board.

Agreed, but so far it seems to just not be an issue brought up, so it will skirt by.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

So if you sign up now you get 10 gigs, if you wait a week you get 3 instead?

It's a promotion. Customers who sign up before XX date get 10GB per line for 2 years instead of 3GB per line. Promotions don't always run on for infinity.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is the nerd plan getting a doubling of the data cap?

No, only simple choice plans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm under no illusions here. Every other developed country except canada has better, cheaper wireless than we do. It's just nice to be screwed slightly less hard on plans. It's weird that the entire telco industry seems dead set on maintaining bottom of the barrel customer service though. It would be interesting to see someone build an MVNO based on great customer care rather than competing on price alone.

T-Mobile used to be that around 2008-2011. Legit awesome customer service. But they bled customers like crazy, then the ATT merger happened, and they shuttered a bunch of call centers. Levers def turned around their business, and I'm sure the service is better than the days when they had he merger hanging overhead, but I doubt they'll get back to that level of service again.

Main point: say what you want, service is def important, but it doesn't keep customers all on its own.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Doesn't bother me at all since you can turn it off.

Yeah, but most customers are tech illiterate and won't ever know how to do that.

Not saying you don't have a point, but that's the flip side.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zaekkor posted:

Anyone know how steep the credit check is for new device payment plans? I am not very high, barely any credit with a score of 630/619 depending on the provider and am hoping to get an HTC 10 for myself and iPhone 6S Plus for my wife with no upfront fees when we switch using carrier freedom.

No way to know in the end beyond having them check what you qualify for. T-Mobile last I checked isn't as picky as Verizon or ATT, so you're more likely to not have a deposit with them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Minty Swagger posted:

My phone (Galaxy S4) has enough issues I finally want to upgrade my device. What is the best Android device out currently that I should go for? Knee jerk I could do another Galaxy but how is the HTC 10 for example? The cost isnt the biggest deal because a lot of my costs are subsidized by work but I also need to upgrade my S4 because of hardware issues the S4 has, (sim card keeps disconnecting among a few other issues) but if the S7 is the GOAT then I guess I'll go for it. :unsmith:

S7 is a solid buy, I would compare it to the Nexus 6P and see which one you like more. The HTC 10 got solid reviews, I would just really questions HTC's future support.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Obviously not bad, but look for little things. No tethering included (lol at 2G tethering) and it requires auto pay. $5 more per line without autopay.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I agree that downsizing all video to not HD is def anti-net neutrality, but the question is will customers care or notice? Personally I don't think they'll realize it at all on smartphones. Maybe for a tablet.m

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Yes you can tell the difference between 1080p and 480p on any 5" smartphone with appropriate resolution. Is this a troll?

No, i rarely watch movies on my phone, and don't bother to reduce the size down.

FogHelmut posted:

Besides crying about your youtube resolution (lol if youre literally watching movies on your phone), what is bad about the plan?

or is this like the only plan you can buy?

unless they change their minds this will be the only postpaid Mobile plan. Presumably their prepaid plans are staying the same.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Man I sure am glad I jumped on the 2 lines unlimited everything +7GB of tether for $100 promo. I'm not letting this thing go ever. No BingeON, no worries about data caps and great service where I live. They won't try to bump me from the plan if/when I get a new phone, will they?

Some T-Mobile promos were for 2 years, some were as long as you kept them. I could never keep track of which promos lasted longer than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Plastik posted:

Exciting though that may be, the only wiggle room in the wording of the law is whether or not T-Mo is an ISP.

I dunno, they do seem to Provide me with Internet Service an awful lot for an organization that's not an ISP...

What they're doing is federally illegal and the only and I do mean only way to interpret otherwise is to deliberately misinterpret the definition of ISP in clear defiance of the intent of the law. This isn't a discussion, the two sides are "People Who Stand To Profit From Deliberate Misinterpretation Of The Law" and "Literally Everyone Else". You think you're on the first side, because you like Binge On, but when they think this has been going on for long enough that they can change course and start restricting service without benefitting the consumer they will.

Oh wait, the One Plan is here. That's literally happening now. gently caress you if you want to watch HD video. And if you imagine this isn't indicative of things to come then you clearly don't understand how this whole Business thing works.

I don't think anyone is saying that the phone carriers aren't making policies that violate network neutrality. They clearly are. The issue to me is "well what can you do about it?"

-Filing a complaint isn't a bad idea, that's adding a voice to it.
-Writing a letter to whatever local/national politician is another
-Voting by switching carriers is another. Although TMobile, ATT and Verizon (and probably Sprint) are all taking policies that basically ignore network neutrality, so i'm not sure who you can switch to ethically.

But overall, I just see the debate as being a circle of the same statements over and over again. Any solutions are going to get fixed at the national level by either the FCC or Government, and neither of them inspire me much hope that they'll intervene anytime soon.