Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Ribsauce posted:

How do you guys send and receive calls on the Nerd plan without going over the minutes?

Or do you really never talk on the phone?

Last question (this time), if I go to T-Mobile and buy the phone, and then decide to leave, can I take it the best prepaids? I am mostly worried their network will not be good enough in rural areas and I have to get on AT&T (for voice coverage)

VOIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Meldonox posted:

What do you usually use for that? The 100 minutes a month is way more than I'd ever need, but I probably ought to set something up in case of an emergency. I figured I'd probably use Skype since I pay for that for work anyway.

I do at least 75-100 minutes of phone conversations each week, so the $30 plan wouldn't cover me even for a week out of each month. But I rolled my own PBX and use Google Voice to call out and receive calls for free.

When Google Voice dies, I may switch over to using a combination of Callcentric for free incoming and Localphone for cheap outgoing.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

badjohny posted:

You have to turn in your old phone to tmobile and buy one from them to get them to pay your ETF

You only have to turn in a phone, not necessarily your expensive phone.

And you wouldn't need to wait a whole month - most carriers have a 14 day return policy. So you'd wait 14 days and then cancel, pay the ETF and them turn in some other phone to TMo.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I'm posting here because I'm seriously at my wits end.

I initiated a port from TMo prepaid to TMo postpaid 9 days ago. It is still not complete.

7 calls to customer service have led to no resolution.

Tweets and chat with @TMobileHelp have done nothing, and @JohnLegere doesn't respond.

Basically, the porting folks are writing trouble tickets that the techs either don't see, or don't care about fixing.

Is anyone here a bad enough dude at TMo to help me out?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

This is the first time in recent memory that a carrier has actually listened to their consumers and made an intelligent decision.

I commend Legere, although I'm sure the fact that their customers aren't married to them via contracts and could flee at any moment might have had something to do with it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Whatever happens with the acquisition, I couldn't believe that the plan would be to turn off the GSM towers or anything like that. So long as T-Mobile's network stays on, I'll be happy.

Probably phone chipsets will get updated to work on both GSM and CDMA towers in the interim period before it all gets combined.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Merv Burger posted:

I did some streaming from my Play Music library yesterday, and it definitely counted against my data cap. I haven't tried using Pandora or Spotify. Then again, I'm on the $30 plan, which is technically not a "Simple Choice" plan.

I would not be surprised if it was something available to postpaid Simple Choice plans only. It says "Music Freedom is available starting June 18th to new and existing customers with a qualified Simple Choice Plan." on the website.

It was definitely always a feature for postpaid customers only.

Else someone could pay for $5 of prepaid data per month to get 100mb or whatever and stream nonstop if they cared to.

I am on a simple choice plan, and Spotify usage does not count against my data, which has increased my Spotify usage about 10 fold.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

If you are on a Simple Choice family plan with at least 4 lines and are currently paying extra for data, call 611 and ask to be enrolled in the new 2.5 GB promo, which basically gives you 2.5 GB of data for each line for only $10 a month.

On my family plan we were paying $20 a month for 3 lines to get 3 GB of monthly data, and none of us used more than 2 GB a month anyway, so this new plan let us save $30 a month off the top from our monthly bill.

The promo is in effect until January of 2016, after which you'll be down-enrolled to either 1 GB of monthly data, or whatever data cap the $10 monthly fee has.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

I'm looking at switching back to T-Mobile after leaving them from Verizon 2 years ago. (Voice service is absolutely poo poo in our area for Verizon, when it was fine on T-Mo) sometime in November or December- How does this work? I put in that I was referred to T-Mobile from someone, and we get unlimited data for a year?

I think the referral thing just knocks you up to the next tier of service for 'free'. Like for example, if you're paying $0 a month for 500MB of high speed data or whatever the minimum is, it'll kick you up to the $10 2.5GB tier for 'free' for a year. Or if you already have 2.5GB, you'll get kicked up to unlimited for free. I think if you already have unlimited, you'll get a $10 credit, effectively giving you $10/month unlimited, instead of the normal price of $20 a month.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Answer will probably be no, but if I bought a phone on EBay whose IMEI is reported lost on T-Mobile's IMEI checker, is there any hope they will remove it from the block list now?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Go to http://www.tmobile.com/sim, log in, and you'll be at the swap setting page.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="437776417"]
This is correct, but you should buy an activation kit from T-Mobile. They often go on sale for free or $1. If you try to activate any T-Mobile sim, you'll get stuck when it asks you to enter an activation code, which you can only get in the kit (or possibly from some scummy guy on eBay).

You can call into TMo and they can generate an activation code for you on the phone and use it to activate your SIM immediately.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

T-Mobile and its free international data and texts for postpaid customers rules. I can even use hangouts or my own SIP service to make calls.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Let's say I get sick of paying $20 a month, and I want to pay my device off early. Can I, at this reduced price including the final payment, and then keep it? Or would I be paying the full retail price if I decide to pay it off?

I'm certain the answer is "no, you can't pay off your iphone at the cheap price, sorry."

There's no trick to it. T-Mobile is letting JOD people get the phone for $20 a month before taxes (and after credits). The credits do pay towards the final purchase price, such that after 18 months you pay $126 less for the phone than retail.

The catch is, if you decide in 12 months when the iPhone 7 comes out that you want to pay off the 6s to get the 7, you'll only receive $84 in credits ($7 a month x 12 months). Also, T-Mobile is banking that a bunch of people will trade their phone in after making ~$240 in payments ($20 x 12 months), and T-Mobile will of course get to refurbish and resell that phone.

People that did the AMPED JOD promo from a couple months ago get an even sweeter deal - we get a $12 credit every month to save $216 over 18 months.

What's even better (that nobody in this thread has even talked about) is that on Saturday and Sunday T-Mobile was allowing people on the AMPED JOD offer to not only save $216 over 18 months on their iPhone 6s / 6s+, but T-Mobile was even giving free memory upgrades. I got 2x 64GB 6s and 1x 64GB 6s+ and will pay $15 after credits per month for the 6s's and $19 after credits for the 6s+.

I love T-Mobile!

bobfather fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 15, 2015

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

clockworx posted:

Weird question - Is it possible to take advantage of the lower Jump On Demand pricing but pay all up front? I'm on a shared business plan and would like to take advantage of the pricing, but it can't be charged to the bill.

The lower price comes on the form of monthly credits. The complete discount isn’t observed until you’ve made 18 monthly payments. No way to get the JoD discount by paying the phone off early.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

dexter6 posted:

Is free international roaming still a thing? Thinking about turning that plan on for a trip to Mexico if so (I'm on $40 prepaid 3GB plan now)

Free unlimited texting and slow data in many countries. I’m sure there’s a list. I was in France and England recently and it worked fine in both countries. Internet was fast enough for maps to route (once the tiles had downloaded), and I could call Ubers without issue.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Postpaid T-Mobile also has one great feature - free (slow) data and texting in tons of different non-US countries. I travel quite a bit so I use this feature extensively, and it's not available on Metro.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Some markets had $70 for two lines, 6gb of data with data stash. I think that’s over too though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Going to eat my free pizza for sure.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Just walked in and got this deal today in Detroit. Coming from Cricket it's a pretty damned good deal.

What's especially great about it is government and (I think) corporate discounts work on it, so you can get up to 15% off on that particular plan.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Skeezy posted:

I thought T-Mo killed corp discounts?

They probably did. Government discounts aren't dead though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Can those be applied after the fact? Doubt my company has one but who knows what other affiliations I'm eligible for.

Sure, you just send in the proof of your affiliation with the company.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

You can’t port a number into the $70 regional plan that doesn’t have the same area code as the promo. The port will automatically fail and the only way to proceed will be to change the plan.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Amazing, all the fatsos on TMo killed the pizza credits for the immediate future, maybe perm.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

When you port over, your Sprint contract will be cancelled and either an ETF will be due, or you'll be charged for your devices. Either way, those charges are not billed on the spot and get attached to your final bill, which is generated after your current billing period ends.

Then you send TMo the information from that bill and 4-6 weeks later they send you the ETF/equipment reimbursement in the form of a prepaid debit card.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

So earlier in the week T Mobile told me it was an issue on their end and gave me a $20 statement credit for the ongoing issue. They said they had a fix in place for Friday (yesterday). My Fiancé called them up last night just to see what's up with the fix, and was told it's actually an issue with Nexus devices, and to contact Google. I think something is pulling my leg....

Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/4whezl/john_leger_on_nexus_bug_working_with_google_on/

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

LMBO with my 2 lines for $70 promo with 6GB and data stash paired with a 15% government discount.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

GoldfishStew posted:

Maybe I am wrong but I don't put the vpn on my router, I put it on my devices, because otherwise when you leave your network you're no longer on a vpn.

You can setup a point to point VPN on your router to your paid VPN, so all your traffic at home goes through VPN.

While out, you can also VPN to your home, or to a paid VPN service to increase security on dicey public wifi connections, or to access systems on your home network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

GoldfishStew posted:

Not trying to argue, just curious: why would someone prefer this over running it on each individual device? Because then every time I Leave the house I'd have to remember to enable it on my devices.

If you’re someone who wants or needs a VPN enabled 100% of the time, your use case is going to make life inconvenient for you anyway.

Also, if you’re that paranoid and are using a paid VPN service, your internet habits are not hidden, just temporarily masked, and if the US government asks for your data these crappy “lifetime” VPN services will give you up. Or someone will compromise their service and get your data. Or they’re just flat out mining your data anyway and what you think is private is anything but.