Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Astro7x posted:

-Is the $30 "nerd plan" with 100 minutes include anything such as Nights and Weekend minutes that are free? Or is that the WiFi calling which is how you expect to get by? I Use 400 minutes a month in total so I'm questioning if this is even practical. I'm guessing we'd have to do two individual plans for this too.

-If we go with the "Simple Choice" plans with two lines, can we change the plans in any combination whenever? For example, if 500MB is not enough for me, but it is for the wife, can I upgrade just my phone to a 2.5GB plan and keep hers at 500MB? It seems kind of dumb to start off with a higher end plan if the only limit is data speeds, and I figure we could at least see if the lower one works for us at first to save money.

-I actually have an old AT&T iPhone 4 (GSM A1332). Can I use this phone on T-Mobile? It was my brother's old phone that he gave to me when he upgraded a couple years back, in perfect working condition. I have no idea if I even need to do anything to unlock it from AT&T. I'm guessing I just don't get 4G speeds with it. Or is it only 2G Edge?

If you're going to use 400 minutes/month, then the Nerd plan will actually run you $60/month for the 5GB data + unlimited texts + 400 minutes (300 extra at 0.10c/minute).

Your probably better off going with the Simple Choice plans in this case. You can switch around the amount of data on each line at any time and they will usually back-date the change if you happen to go over one month (to avoid overage costs).

That iPhone 4 will work on T-Mobile. You will have service in all T-Mobile areas. However, the fastest data you will get is HSPA+ (no LTE) and you will be on EDGE a lot more frequently than you'd like, as lots of their towers are still on the 1700Mhz band. In my city, even though all of the towers run LTE with a newer iPhone, with a 4S I'd say it's about 50/50 between EDGE and HSPA+ (randomly dispersed).

So yeah, if you plan on any regular streaming/data heavy usage, I'd suggest picking up a 5, 5C, or 5S. You can probably sell the 4S to cover most of the down payment cost on one of the Simple Choice plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Glad to know that I can simply change plans. Though what overages can you possibly have with the Simple Choice plan if it's unlimited Text/Talk/Web? It seems like the only difference is the cap until your internet data speed is capped. If it's just pro-rating the new plan then I see no reason to start out on a higher plan.

poo poo, you're right, I forget they're all unlimited now. Their 128kbps cap after you hit your cap is pretty much unusable for anything other than email, though it makes sense to start low and then upgrade. Especially since your iPhone 4 will be on EDGE a bunch anyway, though I swear EDGE is way faster than their 128kbps cap.

But yeah, while I'm no longer on Tmobile, both their HSPA+ and LTE networks are the fastest I've ever used (Northern Cali). Coverage is another question, but you live in a huge metro area so it shouldn't be an issue.

tonic fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 23, 2014

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Civil posted:

I found a competitor to the $30 nerd plan.

Target has a MVNO that uses Tmobile's network. The new nerd plan gives you 3GB of data, unlimited text, and 300 minutes for $35/mo. There are add-ons for international usage.

https://www.brightspotmobile.com/compare-prepaid-cell-phone-plans

LTE data or just HSPA+? Only info I see on the site is "4G".

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So T-Mobile now offers their coverage for when you go overseas. That's great, but do you have to fiddle around with anything like APN settings and such to get data working and, or will it be fine if the APN settings in the phone are for the states?

I bought a T-Mobile SIM explicitly for the purpose of the international roaming for a trip I was on. Turned off airplane mode (iPhone 5S) when landing and it immediately connected, no reboot or APN changes required. I used it in all over Europe without any issues. In several countries, there were multiple carriers that T-Mobile supports and you could hit "Cellular" and select which network you wanted to connect to, some of them definitely seemed a little zippier than others.

And yeah, it is definitely throttled right at ~128kbps. Awesome for Google Maps, Yelp, travel info, and texting though. And if you visit multiple countries, it's way easier (and probably cheaper) than trying to find a new SIM card in each one.

tonic fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 19, 2014

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Definitely not international data, unfortunately. In fact, no prepaid plans do, even if you are on one identical in price (and data amount) to postpaid. You have to be on a postpaid Simple Choice to get free international data.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Yeah the easiest way is probably to port to Google Voice for $20 (or whatever it costs these days) then port back.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone actually experienced the high bandwidth (>22GB) throttling/de-prioritization that T-mobile recently introduced on their unlimited data plans? How were the speeds?

I've been hitting my 10GB data cap on Cricket every month and am considering switching to a T-Mobile Unlimited plan.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So Data Stash is only available on the plans with 5gb or less of data? That seems silly.

I was going to switch my wife and I over, but it seems like unless you need 4 lines, TMO's plans are relatively expensive these days.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

I believe you can still get the two lines with unlimited talk text and 4g plus 7 gigs of tether plan for $100

I only see the 4 line for $120 with 10gigs of data option on the website. Are some of these offers only available over the phone? Guess I'll give them a call today.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Yeah their pricing is going up again, wasn't unlimited $70 not too long ago?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone tried out the new LTE Cell Spot that T-mobile offers for a $25 deposit? The LTE service in my office is pretty spottty and I'm considering testing it out.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone had a bad experience porting a number to T-Mobile? My number ported immediately a few months ago. I setup the port for my wife's number yesterday morning.

Over 24 hours, her phone is still on the temporary number. I called T-mobile and they basically were like "it can take up to 72 hours there's nothing we can do".

I kind of feel like they hosed something up...am I wrong? I feel like I've never had a number take more than a few minutes to port, so it just seems really weird to me. Number is coming from Cricket if that matters.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

I ported over two numbers at once, and I had a ton of problems. We were on the temporary numbers for something like 7-9 days, and I had to call them at least 4 times to get it taken care of.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

I know I gave him the right account # / pin code for the Cricket account as I gave it to him incorrectly the first time and he said it didn't go through and then when I gave the correct # he said it worked. Ugh.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I called once to complain that the port hadn't gone through after about 36 hours. Unfortunately, their "number transfer" division was closed, so the call was useless.

This morning, around 50 hours after I set up the port, it randomly happened. Makes 0 sense why my number from the same company ported instantly and my wife's took multiple days, but whatever, just happy I didn't have to deal with support again.

Super happy with T-Mobile unlimited LTE thus far, love streaming Plex without any worries.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Just a heads up, if you see a cheaper promo price for your plan online or in a T-mobile Ad, call and ask if they will honor that price for your plan. I was paying $140/month for two lines of unlimited everything. Saw that it was $120/month for new customers online but it wouldn't let me switch. Two minutes on the phone and the rep had me switched to the lower price. Pretty happy with $60/month considering the amount of data hat I've been using.

Also, that MLB promo is awesome considering I'd probably throw down for the subscription later in the season.

Point of post: T-Mobile seems to know how to keep their customers happy ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I think you need Simple Choice for Mexico.

Side note, was just in Mexico and T-Mobile doesn't seem to institute their 128kbps throttling there. I consistently got 20+ mbit there and could stream Netflix easily. Are they not capping roaming in North America now or something? I was definitely pleasantly surprised.