Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

muscat_gummy posted:

Then I could sell it for more if I want to get rid of it because it's unlocked.

Your post is completely valid but I wanted to point out that the difference between locked and unlocked phones is not that much if your carrier is desirable (att / tmo). No one wants sprint phones on the secondary market because far more nerds that sell phones are leaving Sprint then joining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have T-Mobile pre-paid, and after this next bill my account will be at about zero. I get a 19% service discount from my employer. Does this discount cover any additional data I add to my plan? i.e., $10/month for 2.5 gigs? Also, what is the easiest way to switch to postpaid and keep my number? I already have an Nexus 5, so I don't need a phone. I also have a few micro SIM activiation kits, if I can use those to do it myself.

Why do you want to switch to post paid? Last I checked post paid was more expensive (even with 19% discount) for the same service and the only real advantage was roaming.

I believe there are normal taxes on post paid while there are none (except sales) with prepaid.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Techokami posted:

So, it seems that T-Mobile is blocking the new major update for my Lumia 810. Anyone here know why this is happening? :(

Maybe wifi calling.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Megaman posted:

My tmobile bill is 70$, which is amazing compared to my previous verizon bill. If I drop jump it'll be 60$. What the gently caress is jump and why do I need it? I have a Nexus 5, and probably will never need to upgrade. I'll only buy another phone when I lose this one, or it dies. Will I need jump in this case? What is it even for?

It also gives you phone insurance. Considering most of carriers charge around $10 per month for phone insurance alone it's not a horrid deal.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="427484571"]
I'm on the nerd plan and just went over my 5 gigs. Data is still working obviously, and my phone is still connecting over LTE. I assumed it would switch to edge, but I guess it makes more sense to throttle me. Any idea what speeds I'm being limited to?

Reports vary from 200k (edge but still decent) to 2mbps (which would be great). Also many people say it doesn't kick in till a decent bit past 5gb (like 5.5/6gb sometimes).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

That petition is pretty obviously just a publicity stunt to rub it in the other carrier's faces.

Well the name of the thread is "Our CEO trolls your CEO." Also you'd be amazed how much traction poo poo like this gets inside corporate headquarters. For some reason people who work at carriers (that I've met) are really high strung, proud of their service, and worried about these sort of things.

I wouldn't be surprised if this got Sprint to drop overages and probably ATT would shortly follow.

I bet in a couple weeks TMobile starts a TV ad campaign calling the other carriers out for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Oneiros posted:

Anyone on the $30 nerd plan check out your tethering / personal hotspot. I tried using mine on a whim today and it's working (iPhone 5). No separate tethering data allotment listed on my account, it appears to just be using the normal 5GB.

On the most current Android you hit the paywall no matter what you do. The only way I've been able to get around is easytether plugged into USB. On current Android your phone tells the carrier it's tethering.