Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Kanish posted:

So I switched to T-Mobile ~ 2 months ago, and just moved at the beginning of this month to a new apartment. I have LTE oustide, but inside my apartment, I have no service anywhere other than a window.

I picked up T-Mobile because I liked the companies policies, and I knew that they offered wi-fi calling...until I realized the iphone doesnt have this feature.

My question is, using jump, can I trade in my iphone to get a wifi capable device (such as the OneX) without putting any real money down? To people who work for T-Mobile, is there any wiggle room on what I can do for my situation since I moved? I want to keep T-Mobile, but I need service in my own home.

---

Also, If I bought a new phone, say a OneX on Ebay, does any model support wifi calling? Or do I have to get a T-Mobile branded phone?

Try emailing john.legere@t-mobile.com with your situation, and ask for a signal booster to stick in your window. They will often give them out for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Rah! posted:

I'm thinking of switching from metroPCS to the $30 nerd plan. My 5 year-old phone finally died (samsung code), so this seems like a perfect time to get a much better phone, and to cut my phone bill by $25. I'm not sure what phone I should get though. T-Mobile is selling the Samsung Galaxy S II for $168 refurbished, and it looks pretty good. My phone budget is $200 max (cheaper is better, but I also want the best bang for my buck), and after looking at a bunch of different phone reviews for that price range, it seems like the Galaxy S II is the best choice....but i just wanted to make sure. Can anyone confirm this, or recommend something better?

Please don't buy a 3 year old phone.
A brand new Moto G starts at $179 unlocked.

edit: to elaborate, while the S2 was a fine phone in 2011, you can get a brand new phone with better battery life, a faster processor, and a higher res screen, for roughly the same price. And a new phone like a Moto G is still supported by Motorola so it will continue to get software updates for some time. The S2 is now 3 versions behind on android, and therefore now has numerous unpatched security vulnerabilities.

lazydog fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 19, 2014

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Rah! posted:

Thanks for the advice. I figured the galaxy S II would still be good despite being old, especially for my price range and considering how lovely my last phone was...but I'll go for the moto G instead.

I did think about the moto G, but was under the impression it wouldn't work on the T-mobile network except for 2G (as was claimed multiple times by newegg and amazon). I guess those were all the non US version or had the wrong/outdated description or I'm blind or something.

But T-mobile apparently doesn't recognize "moto G" when searching for a compatible sim card. It does have them for the moto X, which I'm guessing will also work in the moto G?

Yeah, the US Moto G supports T-Mobile's frequencies. The global version doesn't do the 1700/2100 frequency band, so in some T-Mobile markets, the global edition only gets 2G service.

For whatever reason, it doesn't take the same sim size as the Moto X. The X is nano, and the Moto G takes a micro sim

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Toebone posted:

I'm leaving my current job, and with it my company-paid phone. I'm looking for a new plan, coming in with no ETF or trade-in. The T-Mobile $30 nerd plan seems like it'd be great for me, the only downside being paying for a new phone up front. If I'm reading it right I can buy a new iPhone 6 and activate it with the plan, paying the full $700 or whatever up front, then just $30 after? Are there any cheaper phones people would recommend? I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy S3 with my number on google voice, so while I prefer iOS I'm fine with android too.

You could get a Nexus 5 for $349/399 or a Moto G starting at $179. Either would be an improvement over the S3.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Bone posted:

So I bought a Moto G, but when I try to put my SIM card (I use MetroPCS with 4g) into it it doesn't recognize it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0NS0P4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the phone. Did I buy the wrong one, or do I just need to maybe go to a Metro store and get a new sim card?

Yes, that phone should work fine with T-Mobile/MetroPCS. The sims from cdma-era Metro are different, so a new sim should solve your problem.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I posted in here a while back about a phone I was planning on buying. I heard that it wouldn't necessarily get 4G coverage because it was originally a Verizon edition. What am I looking for in the spec sheet to know that a new phone will play nice with T-Mobile?

T-Mobile is mostly band 2 and band 4.
Band 2 is 1900mhz, has 2G/voice and usually HSPA, and in some places LTE.
Band 4 is 1700/2100mhz and has HSPA and LTE

They are also beginning to roll out band 12/700mhz LTE, but right now most phones don't support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Atomizer posted:

I did not know there was a difference. The packing slip says I got a "BYOD PPD MBB MICROSIM CARD", and the trifold card has a 1D bar code with no characters beneath it; upon using a code reader it yields "TM6760V2" which is not an activation code.

The e-mail I received associated with the order states in part,

"Activation is quick and easy
For your tablet or hotspot, all you need is your SIM card and your tablet or hotspot."

Apparently this is not the case.... :saddowns:

Yeah, I think the problem is the sim you got is intended for a tablet or hotspot. If you order a sim for a phone, it ships in a different package with an activation code.

Last time they were giving out free sims, I ordered a phone sim and a tablet sim, and only the phone sim came with the code.