Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ohnoitschris posted:

Alright, so here's my family's situation: We've all got carrier-locked Galaxy S3s and are still in contract with Verizon. Can we bring them along to T-Mobile, since T-Mo is paying the ETFs? Or is there some weird requirement that we have to get new phones or something or another

Besides the above comment, they won't work because the phones don't have the radios to interface with Tmo's network. So you'd need new phones anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Shadokin posted:

I'm moving to Modesto, ca this coming week and currently have sprint. My wife and I will be driving from Sacramento up to Portland, OR round trip 5 times a week for work. The whole way will be on the i5. After looking at the coverage map for sprint it appears as though we will need a new carrier.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with T-Mobile in this area? We are heavy streamers, between 14 to 18 hours of streaming radio a day and some Netflix thrown in combined together. We also need to be able to make and receive phone calls without them perpetually dropping.

If anyone is able to help me make a informed decision on this I'd appreciate it.

I live in Sacramento and drive up to Southern Oregon pretty regularly. Tmo usually gives me voice coverage most of the way, but bars dip down low when passing by Lake Shasta, and north of Yreka to Ashland. You'll have areas through there where data will drop down to edge, or be temporarily unavailable. I haven't been up to portland area in a few years, so I can't predict, but I'd guess you'd also have a similar situation between Grants Pass and Roseburg. You'd probably be able to stream Pandora on 95% of the trip, but you'd probably be out of Netflix range for a couple hours of the trip.

South of Stockton (like Modesto), I've had pretty lousy coverage. I guess if you're in the Modesto metro area (heh) most of the time, you'd be fine, but the central valley rural areas are poison for Tmo. You might want to check out Vzw or ATT.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Naffer posted:

Tmobile is apparently getting rid of the current monthly Corporate/Association discounts.

Source? It probably saves me ~$15/mo.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

wormil posted:

Anyone have an idea whether Lumia 521's from other carriers will work on t-mobile? I'm looking to buy a used one to add to my plan. They all seem to have the same specs and use the same bands.
If you're referring to the Metro PCS version, it should work fine, since it's a Tmobile MVNO.

Cool phone. I got the 520 (gophone) for my kid, and it's a solid device.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I found a competitor to the $30 nerd plan.

Target has a MVNO that uses Tmobile's network. The new nerd plan gives you 3GB of data, unlimited text, and 300 minutes for $35/mo. There are add-ons for international usage.

https://www.brightspotmobile.com/compare-prepaid-cell-phone-plans

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Tmobile is having some event tonight I guess? Here's a liveblog. I can't imagine what they're doing, I think most people just care about what devices they carry, and they forecast those.
http://live.theverge.com/t-mobile-uncarrier-50-liveblog/

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Speaking that way got him a news story he might not have gotten otherwise, and when the statement is re-printed, people read something negative about ATT & Verizon. Clever.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm assuming that it takes some time to do so they'd prioritize the ones that are more popular first

Now if only we can convince them that Plex traffic is totally only for music streaming
As cool as it would be, I doubt we'll ever see streaming services that don't use a centralized service whitelisted.

I was thinking it was cool that my music streaming (mainly pandora) wouldn't count against me, but I'm on one of the old value plans, and it doesn't apply. I'd be paying more if I migrated no matter what, but I rarely approach my 2GB limit anyway.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

blackflare posted:

Alright we consulted with a tmobile rep and it seems like we'll be going ahead with transferring to them. I have a question about their phone offerings now. My mom and my brother probably dont need a powerful phone, but im not familiar with their budget offerings. Are any of them ok? In the sub 100$ range. Im just super wary of recommending they get anything in that range because I dont want them having to deal with a bloated piece of crap thats going to break or be really slow and terrible.

Standard budget recommendations are the $130 Moto E, or the $180 - $220 Moto G, which I don't believe Tmo sells direct. Get them from amazon, best buy, etc.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

wormil posted:

What is visual voicemail? I've always used google voice but my new Windows phone doesn't support it

Non-linear, graphical UI for listening to and managing voicemails. It was one of the huge features when the iphone came out, now most smartphones on most carriers support it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm looking at upgrading and can't decide on a Galaxy S5 or an LG G3. I'm using the LG G2x crapphone, so either phone is going to be an improvement. The G3 looks good to me because I'm a total whore for expandable storage space, but I'm seeing problems with battery life? Help, please!

They're both good devices. If expandable storage and battery life are most important to you, go for the S5.

Since you're on Tmo, and will be paying full price anyway, you could also save $400 and just get the Moto G LTE. SD expandability, great battery life, $220.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-Universal-Unlocked-Black/dp/B00K0NRZSW/

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

News from the Tmo event today: wifi calling for all Tmo phones from here on out, and free routers.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/10/6132015/t-mobile-rolls-out-wi-fi-calling-for-all-of-its-customers

I didn't know that any android phones didn't have wifi calling, but they will now. And Apple's new phones had wifi calling as one of their line items, so I assume this bridges the gap for those. I guess maybe IOS8 might enable it on the iphone 5S and earlier? We'll see.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Pretty much any T-Mobile-branded Android phone, I believe. The G2x I had back in 2011 had it, so it's far from new for those phones. If anything, iPhones were the ones lacking it. (And maybe WP8 phones, but I don't know if T-Mo even has any of those anymore.)

They carried the Nokia 521, and it had wifi calling.

I'm wondering if they'll have an app available to those who went with the Moto phones (X, G).

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

Legere's response at the event seemed to indicate BYODers were SOL.

Too bad, since they have other carrier apps available.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmobile.pr.mytmobile&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmobile.vvm.application&hl=en

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Reading the fine print, it looks like the router is a borrow, not own. And if you turn it back in, you don't get your $25 back, but if you leave Tmo or break it, they'll come after you for the cost.

quote:

Personal CellSpot: Wi-Fi Router deposit required. Qualifying wireless service, compatible phone & broadband Internet connection required for Wi-Fi Calling. May require plan change. All data, messaging and other services billed according to your regular rate plan and other pricing. Deposit kept & non-return fee applied if device is not returned; damage fee may apply. This device may access an unsecured Wi-Fi network which could impact your data security. See T-Mobile.com for details and restrictions including important 9-1-1 and security limitations. Property of T-Mobile USA, Inc. Not For Resale.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Another Poster posted:

You do get your 25$ back after you return the router.

Ah, I interpreted the line differently. That's good.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

Is anyone here using a Z3C on the T-Mobile network? I'm under the impression it only lacks the capability to use a very specific small set of LTE bands that are only planned to have a very limited rollout.

Tmobile uses LTE bands 2, 4, and 12. Z3C only appears to support bands 2 and 4 (and others, but that doesn't matter if you're on tmo). The lack of 12 isn't the biggest deal, it's only in new areas, and some other Tmo LTE phones don't have it either. Band 4 is the biggest concern, which it does have.

This is such a huge mess, and no one should be expected to follow all this.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

What if I was sixty years old and shopping for phones? :ohdear:

You buy the flip phone with the loudest earpiece.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

What are the current thoughts on good prepaid devices for the nerd plan?

A device that supports Tmo HSPA and LTE bands. Most unlocked AT&T and imported devices won't cover enough.

Either get something from Tmo, or do your homework (ask here) for specific models. Moto's and Nexus phones are a good bet.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

I was looking at the Moto G/X series, though I've heard conflicting things about LTE support. I don't mind a phone with relatively low storage as long as I can plug an SD card into it (which the lower-storage Moto phones have.) How about the Samsung Galaxy Avant?

The Moto G (regular) works, the Moto G LTE works (and has SD), the Moto X XT1053 works well on Tmo, the XT1058 (AT&T variant) is missing a HSPA band it needs for areas where there is no LTE.

The Tmo Avant works, but get the Moto G LTE instead - it's a better device, and cheaper.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I just got a mailer that said my old value plan was being upgraded and pointed to this link:

http://t-mobile.com/newbenefits/

It said my bill would raise by $1 or less, and I'd be upgraded to unlimited everything on my 2 line family plan. We were paying $90/mo for 2 smartphones, along with one of the old VOIP lines. This means we're going to still be paying around $90/mo for what's essentially a $140 family plan.

That's good, I guess.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Civil posted:

I just got a mailer that said my old value plan was being upgraded and pointed to this link:

http://t-mobile.com/newbenefits/

It said my bill would raise by $1 or less, and I'd be upgraded to unlimited everything on my 2 line family plan. We were paying $90/mo for 2 smartphones, along with one of the old VOIP lines. This means we're going to still be paying around $90/mo for what's essentially a $140 family plan.

That's good, I guess.

Quoting myself because apparently, this upgrade has been postponed indefinitely. When my bill rolled over today, all my old limits were still in place, so I called 611 to ask what's up. The CSR said the plan had been postponed, and I'd remain on my old plan.

No loss, I guess, but they never updated that website, which is now incorrect.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Vinlaen posted:

Does anybody know if it's possible buy a phone from T-Mobile without a service plan?

I'd like to buy a Note 4 (GSM) from T-Mobile because it has an unlocked bootloader, but I plan to use it with AT&T.

Even if you had a friend on a Tmo plan buy it, you'd still need to sim unlock it, which Tmo might or might not do immediately at purchase. They've had some sort of undocumented 60 or 90-day use policy before they issue an unlock code. I bought a G2 from them this last summer, and they sent me a code after the time was up.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Oh hey, my old Tmo value family plan seems to have been upgraded to one of the new plans. My data allotment went from 2GB to 3GB invisibly, but I'm still paying the old rate. I assume I'll also get the streaming music and data stash to go with it. I'd avoided going to one of the newer plans because they cost more than what I was paying, and I never hit the data limit.

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

http://www.walmart.com/ip/39150759

Wow, a $20 Tmo android shitphone. At least it runs 4.4.