Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Burden posted:

$10 2.5 gigs. Speeds slowed haver 2.5 gigs of data

Assuming this was supposed to read "after"?

As I mentioned in the other thread, I have been on T-Mobile for over ten years. I have been happy that entire time, but I am really thrilled with the direction they're taking things now. I hadn't bought an on-contract phone since 2005 so I was especially happy to switch to a contract free plan on our family plan. My family went from paying $140/mo + taxes for 5 lines with 1000 anytime minutes shared and unlimited texts and one line with a data plan to 5 lines with unlimited talk+text and 500mb of data for everyone except one line which has 2.5gb. New cost is $120 + tax. No more worrying about the one month a year that we approach 1000 minutes and everyone has data.

My parents are pretty excited about the international roaming thing. They're going to Europe in September and carrying their own phones with minimal extra charges sure beats unlocking their phones and getting a prepaid sim.

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I love the idea of $0 up front for a Gnex 5 too. However, if we both pay monthly for phones, then it might put the price close to what Verizon wants to charge.

You probably know this, but if you get it straight from Google the Nexus 5 is $350 rather then the $396 divided into 24 payments T-Mobile will charge you.

edit: Might want also want to link to the Moto G, a very solid Android phone for under $200 off contract. This will kick the rear end of any Android phone under $300. It's too bad T-Mobile isn't selling it in their stores.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Long Francesco posted:

$350+tax and shipping from Google, so it might work out to be about the same with the advantage of being able to pay it off monthly with no interest if you want to do that.

Oh, I had assumed T-Mobile charged sales tax on top of it's monthly payments. Is this not the case? That certainly does make a significant difference.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

All true. Best to figure out which is cheaper for you in the long run.

I wish this could be embedded in the OP:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/9/5292302/t-mobile-ceo-john-legeres-ces-2014-press-conference-highlights

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have T-Mobile pre-paid, and after this next bill my account will be at about zero. I get a 19% service discount from my employer. Does this discount cover any additional data I add to my plan? i.e., $10/month for 2.5 gigs? Also, what is the easiest way to switch to postpaid and keep my number? I already have an Nexus 5, so I don't need a phone. I also have a few micro SIM activiation kits, if I can use those to do it myself.

I believe you should be able to switch from pre-paid to post-paid very easily. I'd try calling 611. Your employee discount applies to all reoccurring monthly charges, so your base monthly charge and additional data plan charge would be discounted. That's a great discount. I have a 15% from my employer and that's the highest I've heard of.

muscat_gummy posted:

$600 phone, cost over 2 years

Sprint: $2,240 (pay $200 up front, $85/month plan)
T-Mobile Option A: $1,320 (pay $600, get on $30/month plan)
T-Mobile Option B: $1,800 (cost of $600 phone plus $50/month plan)

This is a really smart way to look at it that I doubt people look at it this way. The savings really add up fast depending on your current situation.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

I'm on an old Classic 1000 Minute—Talk plan with Unlimited Nationwide 4G.

Is there any way for me to get a subsidized device anymore or is that option completely gone, even with Retentions?

Edit: Is there any reason for me to NOT just switch to a Simple Choice plan and can I do so freely? And am I still eligible for the AAA discount? Does enrolling in a Simple Choice plan lock me into a rate or does grandfathering no longer apply since it is not a contract?

No idea on the subsidized device thing, but I suspect there isn't a way.

You can switch to Simple Choice, but if you are not past 18 months from your last contract renewal you may have to pay a few bucks. This document gives the details. You should still be able to get your AAA discount on all monthly reoccurring charges. I would assume they have the ability to change the rate at any time, but I expect they'll treat it like a grandfathered plan since their goal at the moment is to steal as many customers as possible.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 16, 2014

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

You can still walk into a T-Mobile store and buy a brand new phone with gingerbread, so I've assumed it's there to keep folks on lovely hardware from calling customer service when their poo poo phone slows down after two days.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Simple Choice Plans just got better, with the possible exception of the unlimited $20 add-on now being 5GB and true unlimited being $30 more. Base level goes from 500MB to 1GB which is awesome and everyone's tethering allowance went up as well. There's some other ads as well:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/7/5482840/t-mobile-simple-choice-plans-more-data-international-texting

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I'm sure it's 1GB, of which 1GB can be tethering (sounds odd, but since some plans have less available to tether it obviously makes sense to emphasize it).

When you get throttled you go down to 2G speeds. I believe I've heard its between 56k and 128k.

edit: Just out of curiosity, how much data do you unlimited plan users end up using? Once I had the ability to start monitoring my data use I was shocked how little I actually used.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 8, 2014

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Chill Penguin posted:

Since AT&T and T-Mobile both use GSM, am I correct in assuming that I can then use an AT&T phone on T-Mobile? For example, the Nokia Lumia 900 is much cheaper than the 920, which seems to be T-Mobile's version of the phone.

The 900 is the Windows Phone 7 predecessor to the 920. The 920 is already last generation. The current version is the 925. I wouldn't buy a 900 due to its old OS.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

This is quite disappointing. My family is currently saving $198 a year. I'm assuming that the $25 credit only counts if you buy a new phone directly through T-Mobile, which the four of us who just bought phones did not. (2 Moto G's direct from Motorolla and 2 prepaid Nokia 521's)

It's too bad because up until now they've basically been batting a thousand with their uncarrier stuff.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

The T-Mobile My Account app has been crashing about once an hour or so starting from about 3 days ago. I've wiped the data for the app and uninstall/reinstalled it, and it still does it. I'm not actively even running the app and it'll still crash. Right now I have it completely uninstalled because it's driving me nuts but I'd like to have it on my phone because it's kind of handy. I have a Nexus 6 (rooted, if that matters). Has anyone seen this?

Yep, started seeing it yesterday on my Moto G. I uninstalled it as well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

drat NIGGA posted:

Thanks for the help.

Do they offer any trade-in deals? I have one iPhone 5 in great condition and one in not-so great. Or is ETF thing based on giving them your phones?

You may be way better off trading in a $20 phone of eBay and selling your iPhone yourself.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The Mango posted:

The prices that I'm seeing range from $220 to $250, with the lower ones being small-time Chinese sellers and the higher ones being small-time US sellers. In both cases the warranty or return policy may be questionable or non-existent.

Should I just say to hell with it and get the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Avant for $150? Or the Moto E 2nd Gen LTE for the same price? At least then I won't have to worry about T-Mobile compatibility issues or warranty issues or whether it's been mislabeled as new.

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in you can just watch Slickdeals. last years flagships have been showing up for around $200. LG G2, Moto X 2013, HTC One M7. All much better than a the Avant. Avant has gone for under $100 many times and I wouldn't pay under than. Moto G LTE's has a worse processor than the Moto E 2015, but a HD screen. You also have interesting options like the Zenfone 2 coming out in a month or so.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The Mango posted:

Has anyone heard any updates about the Asus Zenfone 2's US launch date? Every day I google and find no news about it.

April 28th is apparently some big announcement. That doesn't really tell us when the phone will be in people's hands though. I can say that I won one from Android Central, but Asus hasn't been able to ship them out to the winners yet. Supposedly next week.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Yea, I like tmobile and all, but I also carry an AT&T phone for worK and there is a pretty big discrepancy when you are in rural areas. For most people it doesn't matter, but if you spend much time there it's worth the extra money.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The Mango posted:

Now the Asus Zenfone 2 is finally out, and I'm hearing that it's yesterday's news, and today's news is that the Alcatel Onetouch Idol 3 (due to be released on Thursday) is better. Is this true? Should I get that instead?

On paper they seem pretty similar. I suspect the ZF2 will have better performance and be more popular (so more accessories, etc.), but the Idol 3 apparently has much better speakers and onscreen buttons. I'd probably go with the ZF2 at this point because it's $199 whereas the Idol3 currently sells for $250.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Find a store that has them both so you can get some hands on. Read some reviews. Just be patient and don't rush into a decision!

If you can find even one store that has one of these phones I'd be shocked. No carriers are carrying them at the moment so it would have to be some random cell phone shop.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

No, my bill date isn't until the end of this month. It was definitely added after I left the store. I was checking my billing online every couple days to monitor usage data (I wanted to see if adding unlimited data on one of the phones was worth it since they only used 1-2 gigs a month when they were on a 3 gb limit). It definitely wasn't added on until the 15th when I saw my bill was $10 more. I asked a couple of former T-Mobile reps online and I guess happens a lot since they have to meet impossible JUMP quotas. It's kind of disappointing that this happens. I wish it was just my own retail T-Mobile store that did this but google tells me otherwise. I'd avoid retail T-Mobile stores from now on so this doesn't happen. If you ever want to get a phone, I'd recommend ordering through the T-Mobile website.

My parents had this happen with the family line that we're all on a couple years ago. Somehow a $40 unlimited data tethering plan got added to my wife's line when they called to inquire about unlocking their phones for travel in Europe. This was extra funny since my wife's phone was a four year old flip phone that essentially couldn't use data really at all, much less tether. It was a huge pain to get everything fixed and the money refunded, especially considering they could see the phone on the line and also see that she'd only used a few kilobytes of data in the last two months. Multiple phone calls, escalating to managers, etc.

I'm still not sure if it was just a typo somewhere or if someone was just trying to make quota. It's the loan bad experience I've had in like 13 years with T-Mobile, so I guess its forgivable.

Ah, the life of being a T-mobile customer. Constantly worrying that your provider will be bought by some horrible company or another.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If I'm looking for a <=$250 phone that works with T-Mobile, band 12 optional and height under 5.5", is there a better option than a Z1 compact?

There have been LG G2s selling for below $200 unlocked. Similar to the N5 but better battery life. Just make sure you confirm the LTE bands.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

wormil posted:

Never believe anyone at T-mobile but especially at the store.

This is basically true of almost any modern electronics store. I cringe when I hear people talking to salesmen about something I know about because most of the info they spout off is incorrect.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Perhaps they had a testing phase to confirm they had it right before announcing it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

a rowdy mullet posted:

It looks like Tmobile has great coverage here in Seattle & Bellevue since it's their hometown, but not sure how well their network is going to work for me while hiking on the coast or in the cascades. It's fairly rare I'm out there but just curious since verizon has been great in rural areas for me.

I can speak a little bit to this as I do a bit of hiking and have carried both a AT&T and T-Mobile phone while doing so. In general, in the cascades it seems like coverage is equally spotty everywhere. You get good coverage near the ski areas and small towns, but once you're outside of those there's nothing. I have one mountain hike I do north of Skykomish where my AT&T phone gets EDGE. I'd love to know where it's pulling it from since there's no population within ten miles and it's not higher than the surrounding mountains. Hikes off I90 probably have better luck since there's a freeway corridor through there.

I have limited experience on the coast. I spent a day at Neah Bay last year and the only folks with Verizon got any service. GSM providers couldn't even get voice only roaming. That's a tiny town on a reservation hours away from anything though. Places like Ocean Shores/Westport definitely have T-Mobile coverage, but I can't recall if I was getting 3G/4G or EDGE. I recall even AT&T being spotty once I got south of Westport.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I have 40 people in my company on a Verizon corporate plan. We pay $5000 a month average, and we're based in Boston. Some people roam to Canada, the UK, or California.

Since all of the phones we have are unlocked iPhone 5/6, I was looking into changing us over to T-Mobile. They'll give us the same unlimited voice/text and 100gb data bucket for about $1000 a month instead of $5000. Apparently Canada/Mexico doesn't count as roaming, and international data doesn't cause a huge overage, they simply reduce the speed if needed (Verizon is on edge mode when I went to France/UK anyways, so probably not much difference there).

I'm trying to get the migration approved, but some people have serious reservations about the coverage: "Isn't it a way worse network than Verizon?". From what I can see, it is actually somewhat better than Verizon in Boston. If I tell the CEO he has to switch to this sim card, am I going to sorely regret it? I mean, there's no contract and I can port numbers back and forth so I suppose anything is reversible, I'm just wondering how coverage is realistically going to be versus Verizon. Many of the execs have homes in Middle of Nowhere Massachuetts so that's one of the main concerns... most of the roaming is to other major metro areas for business.

Honest opinions? Does anyone here administer a corporate plan for their company? If anyone does and could PM me what company and your thoughts, it'd help me build my case.

This really feels like as much of a career decision as it is a tech decision. Coverage will almost certainly be worse. Whether that will actually affect people, they will think it affects them. They will think that they got great service in the middle of Iowa corn fields with Verizon even if they didn't, and at the end of the day they're not saving any money. I don't know the dynamics of your company, but I'd shop AT&T, get three prices, and run it up to whoever you try to sell these things to with a list of pros and cons. Once you make a tentative decision, I'd put 6-12 people on the the new carrier for a month or two (preferably including an exec or two) before pulling the trigger on switching the whole company. Company culture is also going to play a role. $4000 a month is a lot of money, but when one missed call to Chuck in sales might cost the company that in a sale or customer loyalty then it starts looking really cheap.

Also, see if you can get a better deal from Verizon using other rates for leverage. $125 per person, per month is loving terrible (assuming you didn't get free iPhones or something), but even more so for businesses. Businesses usually get really excellent rates. I have heard rumors about what my company pays for AT&T service and it's a fraction of that.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Thanks, all very helpful advice. Doesn't T-Mobile automatically roam to AT&T in areas where T-Mo doesn't have service and AT&T does? I thought that at least was the case a while back.

Someone will be able to give you a more technical answer on this for sure, but I carry a AT&T phone for work along with a T-Mobile phone as my personal. I have frequently been in places where I get 4G/LTE on the AT&T phone and Edge on the t-mobile. I think voice/text will fall back to AT&T roaming when no T-mobile service exists, but I've definitely seen places where I get some AT&T service and no T-Mobile service (roaming or not) although it's not in places I would "expect" to have service.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

[url]Why not just use wifi and wifi calling? Does wifi calling suck? Or will you not get SMS without a real signal?

On Android you basically need to buy a T-Mobile branded Android phone to get Wi-Fi Calling. Many/most of the better phones in the Android world are phones you buy unlocked so this is a huge deal.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I think unlimited Netflix streaming is a bit silly, but they apparently also doubled the amount of data you get on all their (postpaid?) plans. I've only bumped up against 1GB a couple times, but having 2GB makes me not worry so much about downloading the occasional podcast when I'm not on Wi-Fi.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Cawd Rud posted:

I'm on the nerd plan and apparently Binge On is available for prepaid plans as well, according to their support document. However I can't see the Binge On toggle with the instructions they give. Anyone else able to see this?

Not seeing it yet on my postpaid account. Perhaps they're a little early with their documents?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

So, speaking of T-mobile reps, I just want to double check what I heard recently from one. Will existing family plans w/ 1GB data get automatically bumped up to 2GB of data when the new plans go into effect, or stay at 1GB until you call to switch to the "new" plan (at the same price)? T-mo rep told me the former, but that seems weird to me.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's weird, I just tried tethering and loading a youtube video on my computer and I could play in 1080p. It's set to ON in my Tmob settings.

Youtube is not an approved "Binge On" service at this point.

Edit:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm also completely disappointed by every rep I've dealt with past the initial sale. For all its bluster, Tmo has a ways to go before it's any different than the other telcos on the customer service front. Their internal systems are clearly a hopeless mess, and every department is more than happy to lie to your face rather than deal with your problem.

A few years ago, just prior to the Legere stuff, my mom called T-mobile to get their phones unlocked prior to a trip to europe. Somehow the rep managed to add a $50 data plan to my wife's line. She had to call like three times to get them to take it off and refund the charges despite the fact that my wife's phone at the time was an ancient flip phone and I could see she'd used zero data on it. My experiences since then have been more positive, but that really soured me on ever calling them.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 18, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Do those EBay sellers who do unlock codes work? I've never used them before but I keep reading how silly T-Mobile has acted with their unlock policies.

I've had good luck before. Just make sure you read their fine print first and make sure that the model they list is the same as yours. I also wouldn't risk more than $5.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

As long as it's an iPhone, recent nexus or running marshmallow you're fine. If not, that's true-- some roms bake in the needed extensions and app though.

Does this apply to any Marshmallow phone? My phone is getting Marshmallow eventually and the lack of WiFi calling is my only complaint with it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

How's T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling on branded Android handsets? My office is basically in a bunker which has been really horrible for communicating with my family (who watch my child most days) while I'm there. I've been thinking about buying a LG G4 or Sony Z3 just to get Wi-Fi calling/texting, but my only experience with it was on a Windows Mobile phone I used briefly and it was unusable. Any thoughts?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

the auschwitz diet posted:

I'm switching my family to Tmobile simple choice, and I convinced my mother to replace her 15 year old flip phone. I've read Walmart Family Phones work out of the box on Tmo post paid, can anyone confirm that this is true? The budget phones I was looking at are ~$50 cheaper there.

Update: a tmo rep on /r/tmobile confirmed they work out of box.

You might need a new SIM. I bought my dad a Brightspot phone (similar to what you're doing but with Target) and he had some connectivity issues until he switched SIM's.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Bentai posted:

Looked at the fine print for the Dominos pizza coupon today, they only accept a maximum of 100 coupons per store. That means a lot of customers are going to be assed out, unless they're ordering super early in the day.

Yep, got screwed by this today. All nearby locations sold out by 5:30pm. I guess I'll try again next week.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

My LG G4 has been running hot a burning tons of battery for the last couple weeks. I uninstalled the T-Mobile Tuesdays app and now its back to normal. Not really interested in any of the stuff they're giving away anyway now that there's no pizza.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

As someone still on a family plan with Simple Choice and mostly 1GB limits, this new plan looked somewhat tempting until I noticed that your music/video usage is charged towards your 2GB. Unlimited Spotify is worth more than that to me.

Also, introducing more and more complicated plans every six months is not very "uncarrier", T-Mo.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

My family (6 lines) is still on the base tier 1GB a month Simple Choice plan w/ grandfathered T-Mobile Advantage discount through my employer. I'm looking at switching to the Essentials plan. It looks like I won't get to keep my Advantage discount, but if I port us off of T-Mobile onto AT&T for a month or two and get that employee discount (23%) then I can port back to T-Mobile and they'll then match the AT&T discount?

I hate stupid stuff like that where the best deal is to leave and then come back, but if the end result is getting unlimited data for essentially the same price as I pay for 1GB now I guess it might be worth the hassle.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

tldr, your plan wont work the way you want it to, probably, but its actually even more a pain in the rear end than you thought

i'm pretty reasonably senior in tmobile and have 15 years experience in the industry.. if you actually want to do a bill review with me real quick i will. i'm on FMLA leave right now so i've got some free time :shrug:

Thanks, that's the kind insight I was looking for. I'll skip if it's going to be a PITA without a high chance of working.

I'll have to get a copy of the actual bill, but I think we average something like $25 a line right now for Simple Choice and since not everyone on the plan uses much data its not a particularly easy sell to get them to want to pay more.

Maybe I'll just see if it's possible to upgrade individual lines on Simple Choice to higher data levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

wormil posted:

My wife dropped and crunched her phone. Stopped by the TM store and they offered a "free" phone if we add another line we don't need, the free phone value being the same as the cost of another line, about $250. Meh. She wants a better phone than that. She's looking for something in the $400-500 range. Any better offers if we call in? Or any deals maybe the store forgot to tell us about?

Other than the occasional good deal (the current iPhone deal, occasional black friday deals, and occasional buy one get one type deals from Samsung) the T-mobile store tends to have pretty terrible prices. There are quite a few good phones under $500, especially if you're willing to deal with lightly used. Pixel 3/3A, Samsung S10e (lightly used), various Moto phones, etc.