Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

dundun posted:

I understand people don't like being locked into 2 year contracts, but paying full price for the phone you're going to be using doesn't seem like a value proposition. Unless you go the ebay/craigslist route and buy something second hand.

That's why you buy a Nexus 5 for $350 straight up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The Poorcarrier.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Get rid of that app. It actually reminds you to reboot the phone once a week. That's insane.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

^^^^ I got that and immediately went to my tmobile and opted out of all promotions

They better let me stay on $20 unlimited data.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

So everyone is talking about this new extra 1GB of data that comes free with a new tablet purchase for existing customers.

Is that a perpetual free 1GB or do you start paying eventually?

And what if I had an existing free 200MB from an earlier tablet purchase?

Short answer is that it's only for the rest of 2014. This page explains it well.

Tmo News posted:

1. Up to 1.2 GB of free data until the end of 2014
This is a combination of two different offers. Firstly, and to get it out the way, tablet buyers have been able to get 200MB of free data for life when they buy a tablet from T-Mobile since November last year. This offer remains. And regardless of what other offers you take advantage of, you will continue to get 200MB of data per month for life when you buy a tablet. That’s not changing.

The extra 1GB is a limited time offer, and is open to new and existing customers. Now here’s where it gets a little complicated. The Ts & Cs state: “$10 off 1 GB option; after promotional period (12/31/2014) 1 GB option is $20/mo. $10 discount for qualifying voice service may continue after promotional period. $10 Voice Discount: Requires one other line of post-paid phone service on the same account”

So, technically, what appears to be happening is that you get $10 off the $20 1GB mobile internet plan that you’d normally get for opening a Mobile Broadband line as well as a voice line, plus, an additional $10 off in this promotion. This is $20 total monthly discount, effectively making the data free. You can’t get the free 1GB data without a voice plan, whether that’s an existing one or one you sign up for in store when you get your tablet. The extra $10 off your mobile data plan disappears from the end of 2014, but the $10 off, that’s been on offer for taking Mobile Broadband with your voice plan might not. Clear as a bell, right?

[Update: The extra $10 off also includes the 3GB and 5GB plans. Meaning that until the end of the year you'll pay $10 and $20 per month for those two respectively. Same terms apply in regards to needing a voice plan alongside the Mobile Broadband plan.]

This offer is open to customers buying a new tablet, trading one in or bringing their own.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

T-Mobile taking their troll game up a notch: https://www.change.org/petitions/wireless-carriers-abolishoverages-att-verizonwireless-and-sprint

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Legere does know online petitions are useless, right?

That petition is pretty obviously just a publicity stunt to rub it in the other carrier's faces.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The bandwidth from streaming services don't count against your cap. You still have to pay for the service.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Is it weird that my Nexus 5 appears to get better reception than my 2nd Gen iPad Mini? Specifically when I'm at work both devices will be at 1 bar LTE. Nexus 5 is fine but all data on the iPad will just spin indefinitely without loading. Tethering my iPad to my phone kind of defeats the purpose of having an LTE iPad.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Group texts are MMS. MMS messages can have subjects, hence that message.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I just made scheduled a payment to pay off the EIP of my iPad. Do I need to wait a few days for that to clear before I have them remove the iPad from my plan so I can sell it?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

nerve posted:

So what is the loving point then? What obviously thing am I missing?

You get to pay for the privilege of relieving T-mobile of network congestion.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

lelandjs posted:

So I just called my local T-Mobile store to confirm that the CellSpot would be available tomorrow and I was told that I could come pick one up today. We'll see in a bit, I guess.

I called Tmo last night and asked about CellSpot and they had no loving clue what I was talking about.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I called about the CellSpot router and they waived the $25 deposit for being a "longtime" customer of 10 months.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

fondue posted:

Their website says it's out of stock so don't try to get one that way.

You have to call/go to a store to get it free with the $25 deposit. Mine is arriving in like a week.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Yeah I just got my 6 Plus today and see the same thing. I'll call tonight.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Astro7x posted:

How does mobile hotspots work with T-Mobile?

So I had my iPhone 4 which I brought with me from AT&T, and I could use the mobile hotspot to use internet on my iPad. Now that I have my iPhone 6 it is telling me that I need to activate the mobile hotspot and pay $10 for additional data. Is that right?

Kind of sucks, because I assumed that the mobile hot spot thing worked with my existing data, as I had no problem using it with my AT&T iPhone 4. But maybe because I bought a phone from T-Mobile I closed the loophole :(

Have you tried rebooting the phone? That fixed it for me.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

Neat, my tablet with 1GB is gonna be eligible for this. I was considering going down to the 200mb plan but now I am probably gonna maintain the plan to have a bunch of data built up for if I travel.

That is definitely not the reason why Sprint sucks. Sprint had horseshit outdated infrastructure and whored it all to MVNOs.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'd rather Sprint buy them.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

My iPhone 6 Plus has been rebooting like crazy all day, sometimes showing a blue-screen before doing so. I was about to try restoring my phone before I saw this suggesting other T-mo people are having the same issue. Anyone else experiencing this?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

If only there was some sort of coverage map...

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Do I have to worry about losing my employer discount if I change my plan? I know T-Mobile was trying to get rid of the employer discounts earlier but there was a huge backlash, so I don't know if they try to use any excuse to remove them.

I'm on Simple Choice Plan: Unlimited Talk + Text and get a discount labeled "Corporate Volume Discount" on my bill. I'd like to switch to the Simple Choice North America 10GB Family 2-10 lines.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So what are the wait times going to be like when everyone calls in to opt-out.