Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ribsauce posted:

Does T-Mobile offer a 30 day return policy like Sprint? I do not know anyone with T-Mobile so I have no reference to how good their service actually is all around North Carolina. I am afraid of getting stuck with another 2 years of horrible cell reception (I am considering changing since Sprint has somehow regressed which didn't even seem possible)

Sprint dropped theirs to 14 days a year or so ago, which is currently standard among all four major carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

tray posted:

I'm in Seattle now and I've heard they have a pretty solid 4G network in the city but I figured I'd ask before I start buying SIM kits

Just FYI, T-Mobile's US headquarters are in Bellevue. If there were a serious issue, the executives would probably notice and have it fixed, so coverage is pretty awesome. I'm on LTE pretty much everywhere around here, and the few areas where I drop off to HSPA+, it's still fast.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

surc posted:

I think I remember reading that they throttle you on the unlimited once you reach 10TB of data.

WHAT? I can't back up my NAS over my cell phone connection? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! :argh:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like Sprint might be giving up on trying to buy T-Mobile. Now we just need to worry about DISH since for some reason they seem to really think they need to operate a cell carrier.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

bobfather posted:

I'm posting here because I'm seriously at my wits end.

I initiated a port from TMo prepaid to TMo postpaid 9 days ago. It is still not complete.

7 calls to customer service have led to no resolution.

Tweets and chat with @TMobileHelp have done nothing, and @JohnLegere doesn't respond.

Basically, the porting folks are writing trouble tickets that the techs either don't see, or don't care about fixing.

Is anyone here a bad enough dude at TMo to help me out?

E-mail john.legere@t-mobile.com. I did that to mention how happy I was to have switched from Sprint and a couple days later got a call from their "executive support team".

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Burden posted:

Only real benefit is if you have multiple lines, need to roam and/or want to break a phone up into payments.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get my employer discount on a prepaid line.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

^^^^ I got that and immediately went to my tmobile and opted out of all promotions

They better let me stay on $20 unlimited data.

Apparently they will. You just won't get the extra 2.5GB of tethering. And I'm OK with that. I don't tether much anyway, so getting 2.5GB every month for it instead of 5 is fine.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like T-Mo's gonna be getting a much larger LTE footprint soon:

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/03/t-mobile-celebrates-1-year-of-lte-by-launching-major-2gedge-network-upgrade-and-suing-verizon/

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

badjohny posted:

If I have the 70 dollar unlimited plan now, I assume I am grandfathered in?

That's what they're doing for individual lines, so I can't imagine family plans would be any different.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Qu Appelle posted:

Are the $70 unlimited individual plans at risk of going away? Would it be worth it for me to upgrade, if I'm at the $60 unlim. phone/unlim text/2.5 GB data plan?

I can financially handle it, so it might be worth it.

The $70 unlimited plan is becoming $80 soon (I don't remember the exact date). Once that happens, if you already have it, you'll keep the $70 rate. If not, you'll have to up your plan to $80 for unlimited. The only other difference is the $80 plan will come with 5GB of tethering per month, whereas the grandfathered $70 one will still just have 2.5GB of tethering.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="427484571"]
I'm on the nerd plan and just went over my 5 gigs. Data is still working obviously, and my phone is still connecting over LTE. I assumed it would switch to edge, but I guess it makes more sense to throttle me. Any idea what speeds I'm being limited to?

From what I've heard, roughly Sprint speeds.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like they changed their minds about booting existing customers off their discounts.

Mike Sievert posted:

Tomorrow we will announce that current custs can keep their corp employee discount. New plan will apply to new custs

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kreeblah posted:

Looks like they changed their minds about booting existing customers off their discounts.

More details:

John Legere posted:

Listening to customers is what makes us the Un-carrier. In fact, the simple act that first ignited the Un-carrier revolution was that we listened to customers -- what they want, what they need, what frustrates them about this crazy industry. That was the spark.

Over the past couple days, I’ve been doing a lot of listening to our customers. And, we've decided to update our implementation plan for the changes I announced to the Advantage Program. Everyone enrolled in the Advantage Program or who applied to enroll before April 1st will be able to keep a rate plan discount as long as they work at a participating employer and remain on a qualifying plan. All of our Simple Choice plans currently qualify. We will be asking that customers participate in a simple annual online employer verification. That's it.

Listen, I still believe that complicated rate plan discounts and backroom deals with big corporations are unfair and part of what needs changing in the US wireless industry. And, I meant what I said: we’re not going to play that game anymore. As of April 1, new customers in these programs can get a $25 Reward Card whenever they buy a device. We're moving away from the notion of different prices for different customers, so we can invest in providing simplicity and value to all customers.

As America’s Un-carrier we’re never going to stop listening and learning and – most importantly – changing what needs fixing in wireless. You have my word on that.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Insane Totoro posted:

So uh.... What about AAA discounts? Do those stay in place if you had them for like.... Oh.. Years?

No idea, but if I had to guess, you're probably boned. There are probably a lot more people who have employer discounts than who have association discounts.

In other news, RIM's dropping T-Mobile because of the promotions they did earlier this year. Because, y'know, they're doing so well that they can afford to lose a major carrier.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BIFF! posted:

Anyone else here have problems using T-Mobile in Seattle? I just swapped to it from AT&T and I've been having all sorts of problems. I'm all over the city because of my job and I constantly keep running into no service or edge service. Last night I was expecting messages from people related to work and I never received them. Today I decided to reboot my phone because I couldn't send a message (even though I had 3/4 bars). After rebooting about 10 messages popped up from last night/early this morning. Just wondering if it's a problem with my phone or if service just sucks here.

I haven't seen that happen, but I also use Google Voice, so except for actual voice calls, everything I do uses data.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like T-Mobile launched VoLTE here in the Seattle area today. I'm pretty sure that makes them the first US carrier to have working deployment.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2158640/tmobile-goes-circuitless-in-seattle-with-voice-over-lte-hd-voice.html

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Send an e-mail to john.legere@t-mobile.com and see whether you get any traction there.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
SMS isn't guaranteed. It's best effort only. So, there could be any number of reasons why you never got them.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Beefstorm posted:

I'm gonna take a guess and say that tmobile is not paying installment payoffs as part of this ETF thing? I'm trying to work out switching.

Nope. It has to be an actual ETF.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

:toot:

Two for two so far. Too bad there's no gigantic breakup fee this time, though.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Beefstorm posted:

Now a T-Mobile customer working for AT&T in a store. The irony hasn't quite hit yet.

Don't they give you guys employee plans?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
As long as she's rebooted her phone since last October, she should be good.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Killmaster posted:

Since switching to the 1GB plan I can't figure out what the usage means in the iOS app. It look like:

Does that mean I've used 403mb of my 1gb, or I already exhausted the 1gb and am now unlimited?

It means you've used 403MB of your unlimited data, the first 1GB of which is high speed data.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Well, this is interesting. T-Mo's expanding their free data thing in Canada and Mexico to add LTE service from your plan. Calls and texts, too (including things going to Canada and Mexico).

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/mobile-without-borders.htm

It's opt-in for existing folks, though.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Beefstorm posted:

How do you opt in?

It looks like it's a different Simple Choice plan you can switch to on the web site. It wants me to give up my $20 unlimited data, though, so now I have to figure out whether I care enough to effectively be paying $10 more for the $30 unlimited data, drop to a tiered plan, or stick with what I have.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
T-Mobile's US headquarters is in Bellevue. The network around here is really good.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Allaniis posted:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=16775

I'm trying to find the official brochure they showed with the breakdown. I don't think Tmobile mentioned it at their event.

You do get doubled tethering data, if that is a consolation.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/un-carrier-x.htm

Scroll down to the image on the right labeled "Table: Simple Choice Amped".

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
T-Mobile added Simple Choice plans with unlimited data to the Pixel offer, so I was able to claim it. After verifying my eligibility with their support folks, I went to their promotions site and used promo code PIXEL, put in my IMEI and uploaded my receipt from the Google store, and I was done.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So what is the order of stuff here? I tried to do the promo thing and keep getting weird messages saying my phone number/pin are not active.

I got that when I mistyped my phone number. But, order the phone while the promo's running, and then submit the form once you get it (since you need to include the IMEI of the Pixel).

Also, for anybody who's curious, on the status page for the promo (for one that's already submitted), it says the dates for it (for putting in an order, which is the date they go off of) are 10/4/2016 - 11/30/2016.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Qwijib0 posted:

Looks like with VZW announcing unlimited with throttled video, tmo is bumping 'One' video to HD to stay a step ahead. I thought it already had 10G of hotspot but maybe it didn't, but now it does.

It had unlimited tethering, but throttled down to some useless speed. ONE Plus International bumps that up to unlimited tethering at full speed. The new thing is 10GB of full-speed tethering, and I'm guessing throttled speeds after that, but I don't know that they've actually said yet what happens after 10GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Has anybody heard about this 20% off thing? I don't know anybody who works for T-Mobile, so I don't have a code, but it sounds like it might be worth trying to find somebody who would be willing to share one, even if I had to make a new account for it.