Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
Some specific questions about this latest ETF offer:

I have a family plan with two lines that I'd be looking to move over, both with an etf. One with an iPhone 5 and one with a 5s.

1.) Do I have to trade in the actual device on my ATT account? I have a couple spare iPhone 3GSes in working order. Can I just bring them in and be done with it, or do I actually have to have them functional on my lines? Does it even have to be a smartphone?
2.) the offer says I have to buy a phone with payments. Can I sign up for the payments and then pay the phones off immediately?
3.) Can I sim swap another phone right away or is there some kind of waiting period where I have to use the tmobile phone?
4.) how fast are the number ports, on average?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

You can trade in any phone, but you still need to buy a new one from t-mobile. .

Assuming your current phone has the right bands: trade in a crappy phone, buy one of their $100 phones, swap sims, sell the $100 phone for whatever you can.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Naffer posted:

The postpaid rates are before taxes. The Prepaid rates are after taxes, though in some states you pay sales tax on refills.
3 lines ($90) incur another $20 in taxes and fees in my area.

Can someone explain the taxes thing on postpaid vs prepaid? Are they just baked in or are the carriers able to skirt the taxes because of some technicality?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

CaptainCaveman posted:

I did the math and it seems that I'll save money switching to the $30/month plan even after buying a cheap phone and paying my AT&T ETF. (They won't unlock my iPhone 5 until I've either finished my current contract or paid out the account, which seems fair enough.) However, the cheap phone I'm getting uses a micro sim and my iPhone uses a nano sim. I was able to order a nano sim starter and a micro sim starter from T-Mobile, so I know I'll be OK setting up the cheap phone and porting my number over. The thing I'm not sure about is will I then be able to switch service from the micro sim to the nano sim once I get my iPhone unlocked, or would I be better off getting an adapter for the nano sim and using that from the start?

You could also take the route I'm going: go to an AT&T store and switch your account to a prepaid gophone. It will end your contract and you'll get a bill for your etf. Pay it and you can unlock. Then port from the gophone to tmobile. This allows you to use your current phone with at&t while waiting for the unlock. It took 15 minutes to convert both of my lines at the store. You need new sims (free) so going to a corporate store is mandatory. You can pick the $40 smartphone plan with 200mb of data to get you through.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Theris posted:

How do you know which stores are corporate? There doesn't seem to be any indication on the store locator on the website.

https://www.att.com/maps/store-locator.html

In the results, right above the address, it will say "Authorized retailer" or "Company store"

Edit: on the desktop site anyway

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I have the $30 T-Mobile plan and since it has no data roaming I sometimes lose data (but not voice) when I'm traveling. Is there a way to temporarily add roaming? Would it be better to use a prepaid AT&T SIM? I have a Nexus 5 and I use Google Voice so it doesn't matter if the number changes.

What's the best option?
There is no "roaming" you can just add to any tmobile plans that I know of.
Since AT&T has much better coverage in general, I'd keep a gophone sim around for traveling. Keep it on a pay per use plan and add a few bucks to it every 60 days so it doesn't expire. When you travel, call 611 and add a data plan which will get you 30 days of service.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You mean this? It sucks that I have to get unlimited voice/text just to get a decent amount of data.

Yea if you want smartphone data you need the $40 or $60 plans. They are good for 30 days though. I'm not aware of any reasonably priced att mvno that has pay per use smartphone data. Some like h2o come close but not on 4g or lte.

Edit: Straighttalk is $45 but there are all kinds of rumors about throttling or cutoffs if you use more than a certain amount of your 2.5 gigs in a short period.

Brock Landers fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 23, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

It's only when I go on vacation and I've got better things to do than dick off on my phone, so that's not too big of a deal. Is that something I can get ahead of time and just activate whenever or do I have to sign up each time?

You can buy the sims at target or other stores and activate them over the phone. Depending on how much money you put in the account, it will expire a different time. If you put $100 in the balance is good for a year. AT&T has a chart showing that.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

So I'm traveling in central Florida in an area where there is supposed to be LTE service but my iphone 5S doesn't seem to want to see it. All I get is edge and maybe 4G. According to tmobiles maps, I should be getting Good to Excellent LTE. I do get LTE in my home market and I saw LTE on the way here. The iphone 5S should have all of tmobiles LTE bands covered, right? I've reset my network settings, popped my SIM out, and I'm running 7.1 with the latest carrier profile. Anyone else seen this behavior before?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

goninzo posted:

Either way, it's in process. Though their website is poo poo, and won't let you add a credit card if you're using a current version of chrome. It just bitches about selecting a pay date, but offers no date selection field.
I had the same issue. For anyone else who might run into this, I ended up calling their prepaid 800 number. By the time I reached the payment screen, I had received a welcome email saying my number port was in progress and I just needed to fund my account. Since that's the screen Chrome gets stuck on I was worried things would get hung up so I called. They were very helpful and took my payment info over the phone. Within a few minutes I started getting welcome texts from t mobile and my number port finished a couple hours later. Pretty painless even with the browser glitch. Interestingly, their charge showed up on my credit card as "AT&T mobility" but the money went into my T mobile account.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

Some key details from the article: 50% of 2G-only areas upgraded by the end of the year, fully upgraded by "mid-2015" and 700 MHz A-block LTE deployment starting before the end of the year.

Glad to hear it. I switched to the $30 Nerd Plan from AT&T and I've had a chance to travel around a bit. I kept my wife on AT&T GoPhone and comparing the two, AT&T has a FAR more robust 4g/LTE network. It's not even remotely close once you leave major metro areas. Inside metro areas, they are fairly comparable but outside, using Tmobile's network is like stepping back in time to 2008 and my first iPhone. I researched it beforehand so it's not a shock to me but it is eye opening. Overall, I'm saving a bundle of money with this plan and I spend most of my time at work or home on wifi so the impact is minimal on me. I'll be keeping my wife on GoPhone for a while though.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I have near non-existent coverage at my desk 15 feet from a window in my office building in downtown Brooklyn. Is there anything I can do? I already called T-Mobile a few days ago and they said they were "sending engineers to look at the nearest tower."

Sounds like you have done what you can. T mobile's building signal penetration is pretty piss poor from my experience. You could look into a repeater if your work would let you set one up.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Shadokin posted:

My experience with it in the past had been if you weren't in a major city it was garbage.

Not a whole lot has changed.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

bobfather posted:

I commend Legere, although I'm sure the fact that their customers aren't married to them via contracts and could flee at any moment might have had something to do with it.

Eh, they are still somewhat married in the sense that they probably financed their fancy new phones with tmo. Coughing up a few hundred dollars to pay off a phone financing agreement is still coughing up a few hundred dollars no matter how you slice it.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Nondescript Van posted:

On the nerd plan, what happens if you go over the 5GB of data? Do you get cut off,throttled, or charged more?

Throttled to edge speeds.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Spectracide posted:

I want to buy a new iPhone 5s (full price upfront) and get on the nerd plan. I think I might have made a mistake though. I've already ordered a nano SIM from T-Mobile's website for $10. Now, I'm about to buy a 5s from Apple's website and see that they offer a T-Mo nano SIM for free. Would the one that Apple bundles work for activating the nerd plan? Can I return the one I bought separately?

Either sim will work fine for that plan. Just activate it online. When the sim you ordered arrives, it should come with a prepaid return label you can use to send it back if you want.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Cawd Rud posted:

Nope, gariig is correct - the SIM that comes with the iPhone does not have an activation code that you need to sign up for the nerd plan. You'll need to use the one you purchased separately.

Ahh the activation code. Yea, you're going to need that.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

chmods please posted:

In case anyone else is wondering this, according to their online chat I would need to go postpaid or open a new account for the tablet because prepaid accounts can only have a single line.

Any reason you need to have both lines on one account? You can always get another prepaid sim and put it on its own plan. They have monthly weekly or daily plans. Plus you'd get 200mb of data each month for free.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Oneiros posted:

Anyone on the $30 nerd plan check out your tethering / personal hotspot. I tried using mine on a whim today and it's working (iPhone 5). No separate tethering data allotment listed on my account, it appears to just be using the normal 5GB.

Tried this about a week ago and it worked on my iphone 5S. So far I'm still 0/100MB on my Hotspot allocation. I guess it comes out of the 5Gb now.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

b0nes posted:

It says in my account settings I am allowed 100mb of hotspot data out of the 5gb they give me.

Fwiw: I have the $30 plan and have never seen that number change, even after tethering.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Oneiros posted:

I don't have that quota listed anywhere I can find. I've seen screenshots of it but my account page just looks like this:

I think it may only show up in the mobile app.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

So I'm on the nerd plan and I've noticed something over the last couple of months with my usage stats. My iphone and Tmo do not agree on my usage. It's not even close. Right now, a few days into my cycle, Tmo says I've used 128mb but the phone says 364mb with the bulk of that being Beats Music with 251mb. 364-251 is 113mb which is awfully close to the 128mb that Tmobile claims I've used. This has happened for the last 3 months since I've subscribed to Beats. The obvious conclusion is that Beats streaming is not counting towards my usage but Beats is not listed as one of the "supported" streaming services on Tmobile's site. Anyone else seeing this or have any idea what is going on?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just wanna say that T-Mobile's free roaming over in Europe worked out great for my girlfriend. All she had to do was enable her phone to roam and it instantly picked up a signal. No messing with APN's or anything like that - she had service and data in every country she went to.

This, combined with the streaming music not hitting your data (even if it's only from "approved" sources) and the strengthening of their network, and T mobile is starting to actually look like an attractive option for me sometime in the future...

Eh. I switched from AT&T to the nerd plan back in March and I'm on the fence about about staying or going back to GoPhone or Cricket. $30 for 5gigs and 100min is just about perfect for me and super cheap. Their LTE service has been speedy too. However, the in building coverage is just not there sometimes. I'll be inside someplace and pull out my phone only to find it searching or on Edge. Also it quickly drops to Edge when you leave suburbia. I'm in the Washington DC suburbs too, which is one of the better served areas. I'm going to stick it out for a while longer just because it is such a good value and I spend most of my time in areas with good LTE. It's just a letdown coming from AT&T's superior network.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Service is usually pretty good within city limits of a city with T Mobile coverage. Once you're outside, you'll be lucky to get anything more than calls and SMS.

This aspect I'm mostly OK with. It's the in building reception that bugs me. Too bad most of the spectrum Tmobile has is in the 2100/1900/1700 bands. Maybe when they start lighting up LTE on the 700mhz bands things will be better. That's a ways away though. I'm also hoping they come through on their word that they will be largely done converting their Edge network to LTE by mid 2015.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

But it does say incoming calls are $0? Seems odd.

E: oh that's just international. That page is confusing.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Quote is not edit.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I think if you port your number out of T-Mobile (to Google Voice, for instance), you can then get the nerd plan, since it's only for new lines.

Doesn't it cost $30 to port out (or maybe in) to Google voice?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

badjohny posted:

So I ordered a 6+ from the apple site. When the phone comes in do I just take my SIM out of my 5s and put it in the 6+ and I am good to go? Never done this before.

Did you do an upgrade or just buy it straight up? If you told apple you're upgrading, the phone will have a sim installed and when you activate the phone, the new sim will take the place of the old one and your old phone will disconnect. If you didn't tell apple to treat it as an upgrade, you can swap sims and be good to go.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

badjohny posted:

...I have no idea what I did. How would I check?

Well, did you buy it from your phone using the Apple Store app or on Apple's website? If you used the app, the only option was to upgrade, so that will narrow it down. Otherwise, I'd look over the email you got confirming your order.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

badjohny posted:

I used the website. Payed it in full. I just redid the order from the website. There is only one option for tmobile. "contract-free" from 749. I got all the way to the phone in my cart and was never asked if it was an upgrade.

Well if you were never asked for your phone number (except as part of your billing address) I'd say you're getting a phone with a "virgin" SIM card and not one that will take over your old one.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

I have an unsubsidized iPhone scheduled to arrive Friday, but have no prior relationship with T-Mobile. Is there anything I can I do now to get ready to port over my current ATT number to the $30 prepaid plan as painlessly as possible?

Do I need to buy an activation kit at Walmart, or will the phone come with a fresh sim I can just set up online?

The phone should have a new sim in it. The $30 plan can only be activated online or at walmart, so just go to Tmobile's website and follow the links to activate a new sim. I ported from AT&T to the $30 plan and it was done in about 30 min.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

retpocileh posted:

When you get a cellular iPad through tmobile, what happens once you go over your free 200mb? Does the internet cut out, or does it just slow down? I'm imagining it cuts out but I'd like to be sure.

It stops after the free 200mb.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

ilkhan posted:

I just switched to the $50 simple mobile plan from the nerd plan. Now I get to debate switching up a notch. $10 to triple my full speed data and add rollover aint bad. I need to see how much data I end up using.

Why did you switch from the nerd plan? Did you need the unlimited minutes?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Long Francesco posted:

by streaming music and watching the counter on the app go up

Phone says 2.2gig, T-Mobile says 630MB. The Beats app counter is showing 1.4gig. This is on the Nerd plan which isn't even technically listed as having free streaming music AND I'm using Beats, which is also not on T-Mobile's list. Maybe give them a call and complain?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Ingenium posted:

So if I don't care about keeping my old number I could set it up with the same phone?

Or port to AT&T GoPhone for a month, then back to T-Mobile.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

ChadSexington posted:

I'm currently on the 30/month nerd plan, but it turns out that I'm less of an antisocial shut-in than I originally thought, as I've burned through the 100 minute monthly limit a couple times now, on top of putting some reserve money in my account. I'm looking at the 60/month postpaid plan right now, as it gets me unlimited minutes, 3GB of data, and the data rollover if I'm not mistaken.

I'm also looking at Cricket, which offers the same basics (unlimited talk/text, data limits) for 45/month with autopay. Am I missing out on anything obvious with TMo? The data rollover is nice, but it would be rare for me to top 3GB in data a month in the first place. All of T-Mobile's postpaid plans have prepaid equivalents if you don't care about stash or international roaming.

Why not do T-Mobile prepaid for $60 and no taxes? If you don't need data rollover and you're coming from the nerd plan, this would be a no brainer.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

Now I just have to figure out if I should bother switching or not since all three of the carriers that I've tested barely get any kind of signal at my house.

T-Mobile does have wifi calling and the newer handsets handoff seamlessly between wifi and cell towers.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

Does wifi calling route texts over Wi-Fi too? My main thing in poor service areas is texts failing to send.

Yes it does.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

DC Tmobile goon for the past year: Overall good coverage but building penetration is an issue more so than AT&T which I had before and my wife still has. For sure get a phone that supports all of Tmobiles bands as you'll have the best shot at hanging on to some kind of signal. They've been expanding into the exurbs pretty quickly around here and overall coverage has improved a lot in the last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Luceo posted:

Oh yeah, all the "un-carrier" stuff would fly out the window, because Comcast is the shining example of how to treat your customers!

http://youtu.be/CHgUN_95UAw

We don't care. We don't have to!