Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Monday_ posted:

Is this starting now? If so, I may be getting some kind of gift from the cellular gods, because I've downloaded probably 60GB from Apple Music in the past two weeks over LTE and none of it counted against my data cap. I'm on the $30 prepaid nerd plan.

Same. Been using lots of Apple Music the last month and my data usage hasn't moved much. It was the same for me when I was using Beats tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

Prepaid actually costs the advertised price. Postpaid has taxes and fees after the fact. Prepaid doesn't get to finance devices or some extra perks like data roaming, but "music freedom" seems to work.

Music Freedom works even on the $30 prepaid "Nerd" plan. Also you don't get the international roaming except canada and Mexico.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Does Band 12 work on MetroPCS? Like, if you have a phone that'd get it on T-Mobile, it's all the same? Gonna be needing my own mobile plan soon (and not my parents') and T-Mobile, on its own, is too expensive for me unless it's on the nerd plan which apparently I can't get. Google Fi seemed like an attractive option... but then I realized that I use Music Freedom, like, constantly. Google Fi would cost me a fortune, with how often I use Pandora (all the time).

For how long do I need to be away from T-Mobile to get the $30 pre-paid plan, and does it count if I go to MetroPCS?

I dunno what the actual cooling off time is but I was on the $30 plan, then on Cricket for a month, then back to the $30 plan, no issues. Also, I've read that just calling and asking to be switched does sometimes work. Also read you can activate a new SIM with a new number, then port your old number in to replace it.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

tonic posted:

I think you need Simple Choice for Mexico.

Side note, was just in Mexico and T-Mobile doesn't seem to institute their 128kbps throttling there. I consistently got 20+ mbit there and could stream Netflix easily. Are they not capping roaming in North America now or something? I was definitely pleasantly surprised.

You can also tack on Canada and Mexico for $5 on Simply Prepaid plans that cost $40 and up. That would exclude the Nerd Plan unfortunately. Never hurts to call and ask though. T mobile has been known to bend the rules on some of these things.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Just to chime in with my experience, I couldn't get an operator in five tries that'd add it - they'd see the Wal-Mart plan pop up and they were all like noooooooooooooooope. But, who knows!

My wife has grown weary of the 100min limits of the $30/mo plan, so I'm going to change her to the $40 prepaid - am I going to have to get a new SIM for that? Also, what's the difference between Music Freedom (for post-paid) and Music Unlimited (for pre-paid), other than "name?"

I switched from the nerd plan to the $40 plan on the website. No new sim. Music unlimited and music freedom are effectively the same thing. Music doesn't count against your data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

peepsalot posted:

I've been on T-mobile's $30 super secret prepaid 'i have no friends' plan for a while now.

It was a massive pain to get it set up to begin with, leaving me with no phone for a week or so, and almost inexplicably lost my phone number during the switchover, which I'd had for 10yrs or so.

Anyways, I started a new job recently that requires me to be on conference calls out the wazoo, and its eating up my minutes, making it closer to $60/mo since I have to keep feeding the account. I'm thinking about switching to a post-paid plan, and I guess I'm mainly wondering if there are any specific ways or tips to go about changing from prepaid to postpaid that will result in the least possible fuckups from t-mobile, considering every interaction I've had with them has been like pulling teeth. I'm assuming I could do it over phone or internet?

Do you need the 5gigs of data? I faced the same issue and moved to the $40 3gig simple prepaid with unlimited talk. Because of free music streaming, I only really use 1gig a month. There is also a higher tier with 5 or 6gigs of data.