Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

stimpy posted:

thanks!

A couple follow up questions if you don't mind:

How good is the wifi calling? Am I going to notice a difference between wifi calling and standard calling?

Also, no wifi calling for iphone? I don't give a poo poo because gently caress Apple, but that may be a killer for the wife. Is that something that is coming at all, or is it just a non-starter?

Wi-fi calling usually sounded better to me than normal calling on my HTC One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
When I activated my brother onto the $30 nerd plan, I didn't have an activation code, only an unactivated Tmo sim. I called Tmo customer service up and got transferred a few times before I got to someone who could activate him on the nerd plan without an activation code. My strategy was to keep telling them I had an unactivated sim card and only needed an activation code.

A lot of people will tell you that it's impossible to get on the nerd plan via phone, but I know from personal experience that it is possible if you ask the right way. Just make sure you confirm with the person that they're putting you on the 5 gig plan, not the 100 mb plan.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

gariig posted:

Wifi calling is using your internet connection instead of T-Mobile's network but still uses your minutes. You can use a VOIP solution like Vonage, Skype, or Groove Ip to call over an internet connection without using your T-Mobile minutes. That means you are calling on a different phone number besides your T-Mobile number. People get around the number part by using Google Voice but there is a major change coming to Google Voice early May that is going to stop that from being possible.

Not true. Vonage makes phone calls using your own number.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

I'm on the nerd plan and just went over my 5 gigs. Data is still working obviously, and my phone is still connecting over LTE. I assumed it would switch to edge, but I guess it makes more sense to throttle me. Any idea what speeds I'm being limited to?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

I can't. It goes so slow that Speedtest won't finish.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Looks like T-Mobile launched VoLTE here in the Seattle area today. I'm pretty sure that makes them the first US carrier to have working deployment.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2158640/tmobile-goes-circuitless-in-seattle-with-voice-over-lte-hd-voice.html

I think I read that MetroPCS launched it in 2012.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

nerve posted:

How the gently caress do I get this new streaming stuff to work? I have the nerd plan, even asked customer service if my plan qualified and they said it did. But any time I try to use it with any of the music apps it acts just like I'm a normal free user.

And I turned WiFi off, so it's not that.

I'm pretty sure it isn't for the nerd plan:

Who can get Music Freedom and when is it available?

Music Freedom is available starting June 18th to new and existing customers with a qualified Simple Choice Plan.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

api call girl posted:

I just noticed Verizon has 15x15 (or whatever) LTE in Chicago market and still stuck on old and crummy with T-Mobile for now :negative:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/871476531.png
http://www.speedtest.net/android/871474637.png

What's the point of those speeds if you just use your cap in 2 days?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Splat posted:

Welp, off to a great start on t-mobile. Ordered online last night, picked one day shipping "to avoid coverage lapse", had my Sprint coverage shut off this morning, with the phones expected to be delivered who knows when. Why would they start a port way before an estimated delivery? At best, I get it Saturday, but likely Monday. Support hasn't been super helpful, after a ton of pressing they told me to call around local stores to see if I can get loaner phones until the new ones are delivered :(

Why would you port a number before you even got the new phone?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Splat posted:

I didn't, they did. When you order online you give them the numbers you want to bring over, and they port them. Apparently right away even if phone isn't scheduled to arrive for days :(

Oh I thought it was common knowledge to let them give you new numbers, then once you get the phone, you port the numbers in. There should be overlap for the exact reason you're experiencing.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Did Tmo ever start the not-counting-Google-Play-Music-streaming-toward-your-cap thing? And did we ever find out for sure whether or not it applied to prepaid plans?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

nerve posted:

And on that note I can confirm that the nerd plan also works with that data streaming thing.

How exactly did you confirm it?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Beefstorm posted:

Not quite. You have to provide your own equipment. Which is expensive as all hell.

You can't just but a Moto X?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Burden posted:

If you can find one the L90 is a good phone for $100 bucks right now. Best deal for lower end smartphones. We can't keep them in stock at my store.

Not the Moto E or a Lumia 521?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

electricHyena posted:

The deal with the music streaming not counting toward your data sounds good -- but I couldn't find a list of acceptable services. Do streaming radio stations count?

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-music-streaming.html

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...dio-and-others/

Google Play Music should be added before the end of the year.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Fruit Chewy posted:

So I ordered the BYOD sim kit from the tmobile site a few days ago and wanted to activate it just now but didn't have the code card on me - just the SIM. I called their prepaid activation line instead to activate since they don't need the code, and was told that the "walmart" nerd plan was only available if I actually had an activation code from walmart. Considering my sim kit was from the website, and not from walmart in the first place, am I going to have to do something stupid to actually get this plan? Or will it also activate with the t-mo.com sim kit activation code?

I've activated it over the phone before without a code. I had to go through a couple people before I found one who knew how to do it, though.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Anyone know if T Mobile iPhones ordered from Apple come with activation codes for prepaid? I expect they come with nano sims, but I can't tell if they have the activation code included.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

I have unlimited 4G LTE and my phone just warned me that I hit the 20gb mark. Is this local to my phone or is T-Mo really warning me?

Your phone. T-Mobile texts you when they warn you.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Isurion posted:

Just ordered an unlocked 1st gen Moto X to replace my smashed HTC One. What will I need to do in terms of SIM cards/activation to get it working with my existing T-Mobile service? Can I just reuse the SIM from my old phone?

I think you'll have to cut your sim card down to nano size. It's pretty easy. I've done it with scissors using the sim that comes with the phone as the model.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

What is T-Mobile even doing with all these phones? Refurbishing them and filling insurance replacement requests with them?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Just to check the flow out for the nerd plan - order phone from prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com. They send a phone, a SIM, and a $30 card. Then...? There's nowhere I can see where I select a plan from the site, and I don't want to actually buy a phone to figure out how this is going to work next week when I bang my head against the wall trying to get a Nexus 6.

Also - possible to have two $30 plans on the same bill? Or is that just madness?

Order the prepaid sim kit (I assume the N6 takes nano sim cards) now. Order the phone whenever you can. When you get the phone, put the sim in. Activate the sim online through the website using the IMEI and sim activation code that comes with the kit.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

Yes you can use any phone that is compatible with the tmobile network. Get the n5 from amazon and activate the sim card online with the $30 dork plan.

This is correct, but you should buy an activation kit from T-Mobile. They often go on sale for free or $1. If you try to activate any T-Mobile sim, you'll get stuck when it asks you to enter an activation code, which you can only get in the kit (or possibly from some scummy guy on eBay).

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

bobfather posted:

You can call into TMo and they can generate an activation code for you on the phone and use it to activate your SIM immediately.

While true, it's a gigantic loving hassle that he should avoid. Chances are he'll get someone who won't know how to do it. Or he'll get someone that is convinced they shouldn't. Just dodge the issue and get the activation kit.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Deathlove posted:

This seems to have just happened to me - my browser crashed mid-activation (don't use Chrome to activate :gonk: ), and when I called in for a new number, they wouldn't give it to me. Guess I'll skid over to Walmart tomorrow and hope for the best.

Keep escalating until you find someone who can do it. It's definitely possible, but they either don't know how or aren't allowed. Alternatively, buy one off eBay.

My method was to just keep saying "I understand that you don't know how, but I know for a fact that it's possible because I've done it before. If you can't do it, can I talk to your manager, and hopefully he can?"

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

FlyingCheese posted:

How slow is throttled T-Mobile really? Considering the $30 nerd plan but am worried about what happens if/when I go over that 5GB limit. Does the 5GB limit only apply to LTE or the entire network?

It's almost unusable, but I am able to use the SA app to read the forums. Loading websites can take a few tries. If it was just slow, that wouldn't really be a problem, but I've found that for some reason, it's like the internet just stops working sometimes. If you try to do a speedtest, it comes out to .01-.02 Mbps if it works at all.

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 23, 2014

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

nerve posted:

I would love if this were true! Anyone know?

I've looked through every option in the past and was never able to find a way to do it.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

esperantinc posted:

So I bought a Note 3 from T-Mobile during the Black Friday 100$ off thing. There are a few folders built into the app tray by default...is there no way I can modify these? Like there's a Google folder with stuff like Chrome and the play store in it, and I'd love to be able to move the Hangouts dialer app in there. Same with wanting to get rid of the T-Mobile one that has a bunch of T-Mo apps I'll never use (save for visual voicemail).

I bet I'm stuck unless I want to root or run another launcher, eh?

You can't just drag it in there? Only reason I can think of that you wouldn't be able to is if the folder is too full.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

spiralbrain posted:

That would be weird if they do. There are several ways of making WiFi Calls that are not going through TMo. I would think they would only charge you for calls that are going over their towers. But maybe not...this whole industry confuses the gently caress out of me at times.

If you use a voip app like Facetime or Vonage, then there's no way for Tmobile to count it against your minutes.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

WashinMyGoat posted:

Thanks for the info. I've been happy with T-Mobile, especially since I have Ooma for a home phone and almost always have access to a PC or tablet with WiFi, but I figure it's time to upgrade.

Could my reception issues be because of the old ghetto phones we have, or should we expect more of the same even with new phones?

It depends where you live, but most likely, you will get better reception and faster internet, especially if you get a Motorola.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

The Mango posted:

Since T-Mobile got rid of the $3 pay by the day 3G/talk/text plan, it looks like I now want to switch my paygo account (with a $65 balance) to the $30/month nerd plan.

T-Mobile Complete Sim Kit w/SIM adapter and $30 airtime <--Going to buy this for $29.82.

Is the Unlocked Moto E 2nd Gen 4G LTE for $150 pretty much the best phone I can get in that price range?
Is it going to be as compatible with the T-Mobile network as a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Avant Prepaid Smartphone, which actually says "T-Mobile" in the title?

Get a 2013 Moto X instead. It's ~$50 more but so much better.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Burden posted:

Yes they will.

Proof? Those look like they're for different prepaid plans.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I posted this in the iPhone thread also sorry about that but it's probably better suited there

Okay let me just say what the situation is and see if I'm getting this right.

I dropped my AT&T iPhone 6 and broke it to the point where the screen is flashing colored lines and everything on the screen is flashing and looks like it's glitching really hard. Really hosed up. I have insurance through AT&T. I've been wanting to switch to T-Mobile anyway, where my family has a plan.

Ideally I'd like to get a new iPhone 6 through the AT&T insurance with the deductible. Then go to T-Mobile. Get them to pay for the Early Termination Fee while still keeping my AT&T iPhone 6 and getting an iPhone 6 from T-Mobile. So could I give T an old AT&T android I have that isn't being used, get them to pay the the ETF from AT&T, and then get a new T-Mobile iPhone 6 for $200(or $300, whatever it is for the new phone with them)?

Mr. Radar literally just answered your question.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

But theres no stopping a switch since there'd be no contract.

But if someone else is paying for it, why not get the best right away?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

visuvius posted:

I called T-Mobile just now and the lady said that I would not be able to use the nerd plan with the new LG G4, at least not for a while. She said manufacturers don't let them put the brand new phones on prepaid plans right off the bat. Is this accurate?

Also, why Cricket?

If the phone is unlocked (and not flagged for bad IMEI), and you put a prepaid sim in, there's nothing that can stop you but God himself.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

visuvius posted:

OK then I think I will just purchase the AT&T version of the phone from Best Buy when it launches since they're giving away all sorts of poo poo when you buy the phone there. Then, I'll activate it on T-Mobile, or Cricket. That should work right? Thanks for the help guys.

Once you have the phone, it looks like you just have to go here to unlock it (could take up to two business days): https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Skeezy posted:

So I know the $30 nerd plan doesn't include free streaming or whatever but does it use minutes if I use Wifi calling?

E. I've been told wifi calling goes against my 100 minutes but I wanted to be sure.

I get free music streaming on my $30 plan. Specifically with Google Play Music.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Is binge on enabled or disabled for me? I went to add/change services, and it has the option to add "binge on disabled". So that would mean that it is currently enabled?

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 6, 2016

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Burden posted:

Correct you have it enabled. If you add back Bingeon disabled it will turn it off.

Cool, thanks.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

My brother's 6 is on Cricket and being affected by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Are you trolling? In case you aren't:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/t-mobile-ends-cheaper-plans-and-imposes-new-limits-on-unlimited-data/