Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That url to switch2tmobile needs fixing, but otherwise good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

$120/month for both of us with unlimited still beats this month's $190/month Verizon bill, though! Even if we each got a new iPhone 5S, for $25/month each (so $50 total) we'd beat Verizon by $20. And that's without considering credit for trading in our devices which would bring the device payments lower. The Gnex 5 was only $16/month, probably less with credit.

Don't forget to also consider taxes/surcharges. If you're doing 2 whole EIP payments at a time for top-of-the-line new phones it's not as clear cut a decision until you see like a family plan of 3+ starting to be significantly cheaper than the Verizon alternative.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
1) Yes you can do that with a Nexus 5 or Moto X.
2) No, I'm about 95% sure you need to be on postpaid. And I'm pretty sure the plan you reference is a postpaid plan.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah paying it off is always an option. You would in effect not be taking advantage of the Jump program in this case.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
http://bgr.com/2014/01/14/t-mobile-wireless-price-war/

*sheds a tear for Verizon's 65% profit margin on smart phone data plans*

e: Also, (very solid) rumors are there's a new flat rate for trade-ins under the new ETF plan with a generic SKU:

1) iphones - $50
2) androids - $40
3) winpho - $15
4) bbry - $10
5) other - $5

This is on top of them backtracking on taking phones with broken screens and such, apparently.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 15, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Transitioned my parents and one of my in-laws from at&t to my family t-mo plan today. We brought in an iphone5 16gb, a verizon galaxy nexus, and a galaxy note 1. Between the trade-ins and the zero-downs, we walked out of there with a note 3, 2 iphone 5s 16gb, a s-view flip cover for the note 3, and a $12 credit to my account.

Not bad at all, I'd say. Hopefully these other carriers run scared and shape up a bit.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
http://explore.t-mobile.com/break-up

Now this is clever advertising. (There's 6 versions, 30s spot, full minute, etc.)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
They do not throttle the unlimited plan. The cap packages are throttled after their respective caps.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Milk Music is Samsung's own thing so it's pretty obvious why it's already up there.

One additional piece of information AndroidCentral picked up on is that T-Mo is launching VoLTE in ~16 more cities (and the only one I care about, Chicago) and adding the Galaxy S5 to the list of phones that will support VoLTE. Tomorrow. So I assume there's going to be a small OTA for the S5 sometime tonight.

e: On a whim I Kies'd my mom's Note 3 to the VoLTE-supporting version over the weekend. Guess I'm just a bit prescient.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 19, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I'm reasonably sure you can get reimbursed for ETF on any line in a plan.

I don't actually think you can get a Moto X through T-Mobile stores. Your only good bet is to buy a phone that resells well from T-Mo, pay it off, resell it, then buy a Motomaker Moto X.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 20, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I just noticed Verizon has 15x15 (or whatever) LTE in Chicago market and still stuck on old and crummy with T-Mobile for now :negative:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/871476531.png
http://www.speedtest.net/android/871474637.png

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="431382752"]
What's the point of those speeds if you just use your cap in 2 days?

I'm unlimited both ways, the Verizon one is on the corporate plan.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/doing-right-by-consumers.htm

Legere responds to the FTC thing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Chemmy posted:

Right, ok cool. So I guess the plan is something like:

- Wait for iPhone 6 launch
- Buy two iPhone 6s on T-Mobile and start new lines of service
- Port AT&T numbers through T-Mobile and pay ETF to AT&T
- Submit documentation and trade in a phone to T-Mobile
- International roaming without being gouged to death

The trade-in takes place all at once, so steps 2-4 are largely simultaneous, though you can pay that AT&T ETF any time (before it's due), and you will be waiting approximately 2 months for T-Mo to send you the ETF reimbursement cards.

- Wait for iPhone 6 launch
- Port AT&T numbers through T-Mo, buy 2 iPhone 6s while there, trade in iPhone 5 while there
--- the iPhone 5 tradein is an immediate credit, so it is at least somewhat likely that you will walk out of the store without having immediately spent any money, depending on how the iPhone 6 is priced and how much storage you want
- pay AT&T ETF on iPhone 5s and submit documentation to T-Mo
- International roaming without being gouged to death
- T-Mo sends you ETF reimbursement

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Chemmy posted:

I was going to buy the phones on Apple.com and just buy them, thus my "port later". Prefer to have the new phone in hand so that when my current device loses the number I'm ready to go.

Thanks for the help, I was on T-mo until I reluctantly left for the first iPhone. So excited to ditch AT&T.

The only catch is T-Mo won't pay the ETF unless you buy the phone from them to match the line, so the only way this "phone in hand beforehand" thing works for you is if you then buy a phone from T-Mo anyway, then pay it off right away, get it unlocked, then flip it on a reputable resaler market immediately.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Crashrat posted:

What happens if I decide to add an extra line? Does the new line go under Jump! 1 or 2?

Since Jump itself is flagged per line I would think it'd be 2.0.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Theoretically, the costs to the carrier for making a minute of phone call isn't incurred from the tower to you, it's from the tower to their switches to everywhere else. So Wi-Fi calling is available free to you as a convenience in case your connection to their tower isn't the best. Theoretically.

Endless Mike posted:

It's definitely not baseband level since I'm using wifi calling on a Verizon iPhone 5s with iOS 8 GM on T-Mo.

Just curious, what exactly did you think the iOS 8 GM does to your phone?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The trade-in value is determined on the spot and is used as credit towards your in-store expenditure: new phone, tax, accessories, etc.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

blakout posted:

Quick question I just got a decent sized bonus at work. I want to put some of that money into paying down my phone, do i just go in store and say that can I do it online?

If you have set up online payment you can simply dump more money at T-Mo and that money will go into paying your EIP.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
FYI T-Mobile is shipping out the Note 4 preorders early. I just got my tracking number and UPS has the shipment information already.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I just got a text from T-Mobile today saying $201 was credited to my account for the iPhone 4 16 GB I sent in a while ago.

My S5 trade-in was also credited last night--I sent the S5 in on 10/15.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Insane Totoro posted:

What if I was sixty years old and shopping for phones? :ohdear:

You probably wouldn't import a Z3C in that case.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
FWIW I didn't have any trouble with sending in my AT&T bills and getting them paid, they're not specifically labelled ETF or anything but the $250 thing sticks out on the bill like a sore spot.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Deathlove posted:

https://spectrum-gateway.appspot.com/t-mobile-700-mhz-spectrum.html

Looking at this, does this mean band 12 (700Mhz) won't (for the forseeable future) be usable in the Chicago area? I was starting to worry that if I wanted a band 12 phone, I'd be stuck choosing between the Nexus 6 (which exists as wishes and dreams) or the Note 4, but if it's going to be literally impossible to get in my area, it really opens up my choices.

Those TV stations are probably going to be migrated in a timeframe of at least 2+ years, so you'd be in the market for a newer phone by then anyway. I wouldn't let lack of band 12 be a blocker for you in the Chicagoland area this year. (nb: I'm also in this zone, but I do have a Note 4)

Next year and the year after? I'd definitely only consider devices that have or are promised band 12 support.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Especially if all your music streaming is already not counted.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
For what it's worth iOS 8 has wifi calling on iphone 5s/5c and up.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
FWIW MMS works for me on Note 4+Hangouts+Wifi Calling by adding the mms port=80 setting to the APN configured under Hangouts.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Loyal customers already on Unlimited 4G can apparently go get hosed.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Prepaid T-Mobile lines are getting datastash rollover (except nerdplan, but eh, that plan is already way good for what it is).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Verizon just opened preorders for S6 and my wife is already using hers after it got here and I had my chance to play with it.

Thanks T-Mobile.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
You can trade the iphone6 in the regular way if you've paid off enough of it that the trade-in value nearly matches your EIP payoff value. And since it's an iphone6 the trade-in value should still be pretty high.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

LionYeti posted:

How would I find out both of those things?

What you would do is go through the phone ordering process only long enough to find out what the estimated trade-in value of your iphone is (obviously don't complete the process), and look up the EIP payoff for your iphone in your my.t-mobile profile.

Then you think over it and decide if the difference is worth it for you to switch to a new phone way ahead of time. You'd pay off the iphone and get the trade-in credit in your bill when you purchase the new phone and turn in your iphone (whether it all be done in-store or completely online, I think you get better trade-in value online but I don't know that for certain).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 3, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr.Radar posted:

Band 12 LTE is fairly new so don't expect to find it on any models from last year or earlier. T-Mobile also only has the licenses to deploy it in certain areas (and even within those areas they may be blocked from using it by TV stations broadcasting on channel 51) so don't let its absence be a deal-breaker for you.

It's not a deal breaker, sure. But it is available on a selection of phones from last year:

Note 4
Note Edge
Nexus 6

New phones that officially support it:

Galaxy S6/S6 Edge
HTC One M9

No other phones officially support it. I wouldn't be worried about lack of Band 12 for this 2 year cycle.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
This is different from hotsauce's situation, but I've had T-Mo CS change the IMEI of the phone on an EIP attached to my account before.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Isn't the non-Sprint iPhone 6 identical model across the other US carriers anyway? I'd double check on that. If it is just unlock it and BYOD to T-Mobile.

e: yeah the A1549 is AT&T and T-Mobile.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
15x15 just went live in Chicago :toot: I hope that helps with the congestion.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

eddiewalker posted:

I work inside wifi-equipped metal boxes parked in the basements of large concrete buildings. Zero service available, but wifi calling works great.

Occasionally same. You can have 0 cell signal and still have a great calling experience over wifi.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Enderzero posted:

Apparently you pay ~$160 if you want to buy the phone after the JOD period ends.

On Unlimited Simple Choice, I just paid off the last $60 on my 5s EIP. I want to get the iPhone 6s. Does anyone know how/if this works with pre-ordering? How does pre-ordering from T-Mobile usually work? And am I correct in assuming I won't need to pay anything upfront since it will be parceled out as part of my monthly bill?

You just pay the sales tax on the price of the 6s at the time of checkout. That's it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Rumors are that T-Mobile is about to announce music freedom but for videos next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think what this comes down to is they want to offer unlimited in a way that stops the tethering sperglords who insist that torrenting 24x7 is exactly what "UNLIMITED MEANS UNLIMITED" is supposed to cover. While whitelisting sites is not the most ideal solution, it does pretty much negate any possible end-runs around it to try and pass traffic off as if it was 'streaming'.

This is it, really.

Now watch iTunes be technically covered but Apple still just not let you stream anything larger than like 100 megs over mobile data as usual.