Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Sprint user here. Have been with them for the past 5 years, was awesome when we had a huge family plan going and were each paying $20/mo, but now that more people have dropped off we're paying $40-$45/mo and we just have dumb flip phones. It's close enough to a smart phone cost that I think it's worth switching. So I am guessing I can't take advantage of any phone trade in ETF deal going on. Anyway, after looking over the plans I had some questions I can't find answers to.

Me and my wife want to get two iPhones.
-Is the $30 "nerd plan" with 100 minutes include anything such as Nights and Weekend minutes that are free? Or is that the WiFi calling which is how you expect to get by? I Use 400 minutes a month in total so I'm questioning if this is even practical. I'm guessing we'd have to do two individual plans for this too.
-If we go with the "Simple Choice" plans with two lines, can we change the plans in any combination whenever? For example, if 500MB is not enough for me, but it is for the wife, can I upgrade just my phone to a 2.5GB plan and keep hers at 500MB? It seems kind of dumb to start off with a higher end plan if the only limit is data speeds, and I figure we could at least see if the lower one works for us at first to save money.
-How slow is the limited speeds beyond the data cap?
-I actually have an old AT&T iPhone 4 (GSM A1332). Can I use this phone on T-Mobile? It was my brother's old phone that he gave to me when he upgraded a couple years back, in perfect working condition. I have no idea if I even need to do anything to unlock it from AT&T. I'm guessing I just don't get 4G speeds with it. Or is it only 2G Edge?

The only reason I've been able to go this long without a smart phone is because of my iPhone and a Freedompop 4G hotspot. I'm feeling ready to do this.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

tonic posted:

If you're going to use 400 minutes/month, then the Nerd plan will actually run you $60/month for the 5GB data + unlimited texts + 400 minutes (300 extra at 0.10c/minute).

Your probably better off going with the Simple Choice plans in this case. You can switch around the amount of data on each line at any time and they will usually back-date the change if you happen to go over one month (to avoid overage costs).

That iPhone 4 will work on T-Mobile. You will have service in all T-Mobile areas. However, the fastest data you will get is HSPA+ (no LTE) and you will be on EDGE a lot more frequently than you'd like, as lots of their towers are still on the 1700Mhz band. In my city, even though all of the towers run LTE with a newer iPhone, with a 4S I'd say it's about 50/50 between EDGE and HSPA+ (randomly dispersed).

So yeah, if you plan on any regular streaming/data heavy usage, I'd suggest picking up a 5, 5C, or 5S. You can probably sell the 4S to cover most of the down payment cost on one of the Simple Choice plans.

All very useful info!

Glad to know that I can simply change plans. Though what overages can you possibly have with the Simple Choice plan if it's unlimited Text/Talk/Web? It seems like the only difference is the cap until your internet data speed is capped. If it's just pro-rating the new plan then I see no reason to start out on a higher plan.

I might actually try using my iPhone 4 then. I live in Chicago so hopefully its enough of a modernized market to work well. Maybe it can last me until the inevitable iPhone 6 comes out.I guess if worst comes to worse with data speed I always have my Freedompop 1GB 4G hotspot that I can use. It's decent, just that I run into a lot of deadzones since it uses the Sprint 4G network.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 23, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I seem to be having issues getting my phone unlocked to bring to T-Mobile. Anyway, how would it work if ported over one number as a new line as an individual plan, and then brought in a second line later and make it a family plan. Would T-mobile just prorate it and adjust accordingly?

My wife's Sprint billing cycle ends soon, and I don't do it soon for her line she'll be paying for another month of Sprint.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CaptainCaveman posted:

AT&T finally unlocked my iPhone so I can start using that. I already have a T-Mobile nano sim to use, but logging in to T-mobile.com/sim just bounces me back to the T-Mobile front page. (Looks like a bunch of other people on prepaid report the same problem.) I'll do an online support chat as soon as I get a chance, but what info do I need? Just my account/phone number, and the number on the new sim? Or is there anything else I should have ready for them?

Edit: Just did this, they also need your account PIN, but if you don't remember it they can reset it for you. (To do the reset they needed the last 4 digits of the last number I called.)

How long did it take them to unlock the phone? I'm trying to do that now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Ugh... I just tried calling AT&T and they are telling me I have to go to a store to reset my account AT&T Account Passcode. Why do I have a feeling that the person was just lazy and bullshitting me?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Duckman2008 posted:

If the pass code was not lining up that is what you would have to do. Call again to check but you may have to stop by quick.

That sucks... it's my brothers old iPhone, who lives in a different state, and who is pretty reluctant to want to help me out with this because he can't be bothered to go to an AT&T store. I have all the information to basically call AT&T and pretend to be him, but if they check ID in the store then I'm going to have a problem.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Our of pure curiosity... what is stopping somebody from going to Verizon for a month, getting a subsidized phone, and then having T-Mobile pay the ETF and selling the phone for a profit?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

badjohny posted:

You have to turn in your old phone to tmobile and buy one from them to get them to pay your ETF

Ah, well that makes complete sense then

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I think Tmobile has a $50 restocking fee though

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Wtgamerz posted:

Question about the EFT program.

My wife's iphone 4s went out of contract last october and my galaxy s4 is still under contract with AT&T till may 2015.

Do I have to trade in my phone to get the etf payoff since it's my line that would have the ET fee? Or can we trade in my wife's iphone, get credit towards her new phone, then get the etf credit?

Even with subsidizing a new phone on the t mobile plan, we would be paying less per month than at&t, and we live in DfW so I believe we get really good 4g lte coverage.

I might be wrong, but I think you just need to trade in a phone. Either way, I would check with T-Mobile to see what the trade in values of the phones are first. They say up to $300, but they offered me $70 for my 32GB GSM iPhone 4 which I passed on, I could sell it for more money on eBay if I wanted to get rid of it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just received my first T-Mobile bill. So.... it's for the full month of February, and partial January. I was charged the entire month for Jump, and partial Jan for Jump, but I don't have a charge for my phone at all. Why would that be? Not that it's a bad thing, but I don't want to be finding out down the road that I'll get backcharged or something.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 11, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hekk posted:

I recently switched to T-Mobile as well. Some dude called me to ask me how everything was working out so far. In our conversation he mentioned that the 25 dollar fee for the Iphone 5S wouldn't show up on my bill until the second month. I have no idea why it's delayed a month but that's the way they told me it worked.

That's good to know. I guess it's $25 less to pay when we upgrade to the iPhone 6 whenever it comes out.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The teathering thing confuses me in that table... So under the basic plan do you get 1GB of 4G data, and then an additional 1GB of data for tethering, so 2Gb total? Or is that all just shared between 1GB of data?

Also, if you are using a older phone such as a iPhone 4 which doesn't have 4G data, is your internet connection pretty much unlimited? It's not like they will throttle you below 3G if you go over your plan, right?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chill Penguin posted:

So I've been reading up on T-Mobile's various plans, preparing to switch from AT&T, and the $30/month nerd plan sounds pretty appealing to me. I've read some conflicting reports about the wifi calling feature, can anyone clarify? It seems like wifi calling would be a good way to avoid going over the 100 minute allotment, but I've read some reports that wifi calling still uses your minutes. Is this true? If so, is there any way around this?

From what I was told earlier in this thread, Wifi calling comes out of your 100 minutes. That's why the plan is so cheap.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
When I went to the T-Mobile store to activate my old iPhone 4 the other week, the guy helping me said he would be able to activate me a free SIM card for my iPad that would give me 200MB of free cellular data per month. He even waived the fees on my SIM cards for my iPhone 4 and the iPad

I figured there must be come catch to it, but it appears that there are none. I took out my lovely AT&T SIM and replaced it with the T-Mobile one, and it worked instantly with no need to mess around with any settings.

Is this an actual advertised plan or something? Reading into it more, I guess you just need to have a T-Mobile post paid plan, and that's it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

hotsauce posted:

People love discounts and normally run budgets on a month-to-month basis. Seeing that discount go away will psychologically affect customers, putting loyalty at risk.

My take anyhow. Then again, I have a feeling that many T-Mobile customers don't have a corporate discount anyhow :v:

I think T-Mobile pricing take a bit more forward thinking to understand anyway...

I have a friend that just traded in his and his wife's iPhones for new ones and got them for "Free". I tried to explain that he essentially just sold off his phones for $400 and could have gotten much more than that selling them on eBay and playing the $400 to do a standard upgrade. But he didn't pay anything and he has new phones, so in his mind he couldn't understand how it was a bad deal. But then again, I'm the type of person that will go that extra step if it means putting an extra hundred dollars in my pocket.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Got my latest T-Mobile bill. First month of service with my line officially added to it. They prorated me for 29 days of my previous month, and 30 days for the next month. I added an additional line, and did the 200MB of free tablet data for life (because why not?)

So they for some reason put me on the 2.5GB plan for data instead of the 500MB plan for my phone. So I was charged roughly $20 more than I should have been. They then charged me $20 for the tablet data, but then gave me a credit for only $10.

Had to speak with two customer service reps to get it cleared up, but it's ridiculous that I was over charged by $30 on my first bill. Most people probably wouldn't have caught that poo poo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there any way to manage the advertising text messages that T-Mobile always sends me? I don't mind being alerted to my auto payment going through so i can see the amount, but I do not care about sharing my favorite baseball memory.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Civil posted:

News from the Tmo event today: wifi calling for all Tmo phones from here on out, and free routers.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/10/6132015/t-mobile-rolls-out-wi-fi-calling-for-all-of-its-customers

I didn't know that any android phones didn't have wifi calling, but they will now. And Apple's new phones had wifi calling as one of their line items, so I assume this bridges the gap for those. I guess maybe IOS8 might enable it on the iphone 5S and earlier? We'll see.

I saw this on MacRumor which was interesting

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/10/t-mobile-wi-fi-unleashed/

"T-Mobile will also be allowing one time upgrades for customers to get a Wi-Fi enabled phone, even those who are not signed up for the JUMP program. "

Would be curious for more info about that.

So for those of us that want the new iPhone, how does that work with T-Mobile? Is there any benefit of preordering it through a T-Mobile store (I'm guessing I can pay it off at $25/mo), or should I just buy one at an Apple Store? I've never purchased a phone with T-Mobile before, as I brought my iPhone 4 from AT&T with me. I am getting tired of missing out on 4G service... 4 years with this phone is enough.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
All I know is that when my wife went to get her iPhone 5s from the T-Mobile store, she was surprised that they only had 16GB models in the store. If you wanted anything different, you had to have it shipped to your home first. I'd love to try out the Plus and see if it's too big, but afraid that I'll miss the preorder and it will take me a long as time to get the phone I want.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Saw a story that AT&T will give you $200 for an iPhone 4.

http://gizmodo.com/at-t-will-give-you-200-minimum-for-your-old-iphone-4-1633549008

And then heard that T-Mobile is beating all trade in offers by $50, so $250 for an iPhone 4?

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobile-guarantees-industrys-best-trade-in.htm

Anybody have any more info about this? Last time I checked in March of 2014, T-Mobile wanted to give me $85 for my iPhone 4. But $250? I'll do that.

I feel like I'm going to get screwed somehow... either T-Mobile won't get the iPhone 6 in fast enough before the trade in deal ends or something.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

nickutz posted:

when you Jump it eliminates your old EIP and you start a new one. You pay the sales tax of the phone you're Jumping to.

Didn't Jump recently change where you have to have paid a minimum of half the price of the phone?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Exactly... how long is AT&T doing the $200 trade ins for, and how long is T-Mobile matching the trade ins?

I am wondering if I'll get an iPhone 6 in enough time to trade it in before both deals expire. All this combined with the T-Mobile option of the $25 monthly payment is wonderful. My phone bill will go up $25 for 2 years, but I won't even have a phone bill for 2 months with that $250 credit.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Molten Llama posted:

AT&T is doing it through September 30th.

Well gently caress... no way of me getting the phone in time now

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

lelandjs posted:

The $50 is if you get a better offer from another carrier. Ex: T-Mobile offers me $200 for my phone, but I go to AT&T and they offer me $225. I get proof of AT&T's offer and show it to T-Mobile, who then matches AT&T's offer plus $50, for a total of $275.

Here is the promo.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/iphone-trade-in.html#fbid=BGYLzYJNOza

What am I missing here? Says nothing about needing to be an existing AT&T customer. I could take my iPhone 4 to AT&T and grt $200.

Anyway... Went to a T-Mobile store and talked to someone. They said that I needed to initiate the trade in during the upgrade, and could only do it in store or online. I would then get the advertised trade in value of $50, and after I got my iPhone 6 I would have 7 days to turn in my iPhone 4. I would then have to call Tmobile and tell them that I am doing the price match thing on trade ins. When I asked how I could be guaranteed the $200 price match before I did all this, especially when the iPhone 6 could arrive after Sept 30th when the AT&T promo ends, they had no clue... They didn't seem to believe that AT&T were stupid enough to offer $200 for an iPhone 4, and I was advised to call customer support who does the price match since they don't handle that, and make sure AT&T is actually doing the deal or else I won't get the credit.

First customer support lady said that I needed to go to the store to do the trade in, not over the phone. Then said that I would only be eligible for the price match of the iPhone 4 trade in if I had purchased the iPhone 4 with T-Mobile,and was doing the Jump promotion. So basically had been paying $480 for jump over 4 years (and did they even carry the iPhone when the 4 was released?). This seemed like she had no clue what she was talking about, so I said that was unfortunate because AT&T was offering the promotion and I was willing to switch back to AT&T to save $200. I was then forwarded to customer retentions.

Customer Retentions said that the promo for price matching trade ins was very new, and that she was not sure it would work and could not guarantee that it would work (WTF, it's a yes or no question, I am not going to risk trading in my iPhone 4 for $50 and maybe get $250). But she did say the promo officially starts Sep 17th, and she would call me back after the promotion started to verify if I could trade in my phone and do what I wanted to do.

But since you have to initiate the trade in at the time of the upgrade, it looks like I can't preorder the phone today, and chances of me getting the phone by the end of September are slim to none based on all the reports I have heard of TMobile being sold out everywhere and having long shipping times.

So I don't know... I do not care about getting the phone on release date, I just want to get the trade in credit and stick with tmobile. I guess I will see in a week after the trade in promo officially starts. But if I have to jump through all these hoops only to be told they can't do it, I am going to be very pissed with T-Mobile. When they says they will price match trade ins, why is this so confusing?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 13, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chemmy posted:

Anyhow, I was on T-mobile before the iPhone 1 and loved their customer service. Is it still good? Was yesterday just a fluke? Felt like every slimy tactic in the book at the place where I ordered the phones.

Should probably not judge the customer service of any cell phone provider on the day of iPhone preorders or releases. It's just too crazy no matter where you go.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Burden posted:

The way the jump enrollment will work is you will as the jump feature to your account. Once you have paid 50% of phone you can give it to Tmobile and make a new down payment on the new phone. T-mobile will pay the other half. So for instance let's say you bought the IPhone 5s for $650 and have already payed off $225. If you want to get the iPhone 6 you add Jump, pay $100 to get to half way paid and then pay they tax on the iPhone 6.

That's insane. I don't understand why anyone would do Jump with an iPhone. The phones are insanely expensive, and they don't depreciate as quickly as any other phones.

If you upgrade your phone every year, and get a basic 16GB iPhone, you're looking at about $445 + Tax by paying half of the phone and paying for Jump for 1 year. The only way Jump would be a good move is if you were unable to get more than $200 for a 1 year old iPhone, but I see bids on phones on eBay right now for 16GB iPhone 5s models for around $400, and i'm only looking at the first page of search results.

So... Jump is essentially a $200 convenience fee for those that don't know how to sell their used phone? I never did the math before, but I don't know why anybody would use Jump for an iPhone.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kanish posted:

If you upgrade online with a preordered iphone through JUMP, how does the trade it work? Do you just have an x amount of time to mail in your trade in while you wait for the new phone to arrive or what?

I was told 7 days by a rep in the store FWIW

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kanish posted:

Any idea if thats 7 days after you received the new phone or initiated the jump trade?

After I receive the phone. Because I asked what the heck happens if I initiate the trade in, and then the phone doesn't come until sometime in October... that was their answer. If they had the phone in stock they said it's different.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

blakout posted:

Quick question I just got a decent sized bonus at work. I want to put some of that money into paying down my phone, do i just go in store and say that can I do it online?

Why would you want to do that? EIP is an interest free loan pretty much.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Went to start the trade in process on my iPhone 4 on the T-Mobile website, and noticed this....

So... did they just purposely price the trade in value of the iPhone 4 at $1 more than AT&T so they can say they already beat AT&T's deal, and not give me another $50 bonus?

Because last week they were offering me $50 for my iPhone. Thought I could trade in, price match for $200, and have them beat it for another $50.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Burden posted:

Yeah the trade in matching started Wednesday.

This isn't price matching though.

If they offered a trade in value of $199, they'd have to price match AT&T at $200 and then give you $50 additional.

If they offered a trade in value of $201, then they are the best price and there is no need to price match,

It's quite the difference from the $50 they were offering for the same phone 2 days ago, was hoping to get $50 more for $250.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CaptainCaveman posted:

You seem awfully surprised that a company would offer a dollar more instead of fifty more. They're not dumb. Of course they're going to try to have their offers meet or beat what the other guys are offering so they don't end up paying an additional premium.

It's still kind of a dick move to do.

When I called on the 12th calling about the price match deal and if they will beat AT&T's the rep I talked to basically said. "Yeah, we can beat AT&T's price, come back next week when the promotion starts and we'll throw an additional $50 to seal the deal. That's a great deal and you definitely should take advantage of that!". Then I come back a week later and am told "oh, well it's a $1 more than AT&T now, so we won't price match it, and now the phone is sold out everywhere so you most likely won't get it until late October."

Well if I knew that maybe I would have just gone to AT&T and not dealt with any of this price match bullshit. I could have a new phone and a $200 credit today. All they are offering is inconvenience for $1, and I didn't know that would happen until it was too late.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Put in an order for an iPhone 6 today using the trade-in offer from an iPhone 4. The clerk said to expect a 6 week wait, but I thought the 6 wasn't as in short supply as the 6+?

Did they say how the trade in works if the phone actually takes 6 weeks to arrive?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

England Sucks posted:

If you order a iPhone 6 online is it really taking 1-4 weeks like they said it does on there. I want to buy a iPhone 6 but I'm going on vacation on October 6th for a couple weeks. and I don't want to miss the delivery.

I went to the tmobile store yesterday and sunday and missed out on the last iphone by minutes each time.

I'm gonna go today hopefully they get a shipment but I guess im going to be hitting them every morning when they open to see if they have any.

Well I ordered on Friday evening on Sept. 19th, and this morning I got the notification that my phone has shipped from Chicago and is arriving today (I live in Chicago). I didn't even do the express shipping, I did the slowest and cheapest ground shipping.

I definitely did not expect for it to come so fast, but I will believe it when it's in my hands!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How does mobile hotspots work with T-Mobile?

So I had my iPhone 4 which I brought with me from AT&T, and I could use the mobile hotspot to use internet on my iPad. Now that I have my iPhone 6 it is telling me that I need to activate the mobile hotspot and pay $10 for additional data. Is that right?

Kind of sucks, because I assumed that the mobile hot spot thing worked with my existing data, as I had no problem using it with my AT&T iPhone 4. But maybe because I bought a phone from T-Mobile I closed the loophole :(

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Burden posted:

It is included unless you are on an older rate plan. Older phones were able to get around it but new phones they block it unless you have a current data plan. Might be worth it to change your plan anyway. Could save you money.

I have the "Simple Choice Plan: Unlimited Talk + Text" plan with 1GB of data. That includes hotspots?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

England Sucks posted:

When you ordered was the expected delivery date they sent you way longer than it actually took to arrive.

I did not have an expected delivery date. T-Mobile just said it should arrive within a month for sure so I could do the trade in

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Considering the partnership with the MLB At Bat app, I am surprised they didn't offer free data for streaming of the game audio feeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Anybody do the trade in through the mail that knows how long it takes for the phone to go through their system? I put my old phone in the mail two weeks ago, and they said it needs to be post marked by the last day for trade ins so it is good. I get an email this week saying they still have not received my phone. Do they notify you when they receive your phone?

The mailing label that came with it said "no additional services", so I wasn't allowed to do tracking or anything like that with it. Now I'm sort of getting worried that my phone was lost in the mail... two weeks seems too long for it to still be getting to them.