Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Mr.Radar posted:

In a somewhat unexpected turn of events, it appears that T-Mobile is now targeting the check-cashing industry for the "uncarrier" experience. Today they announced they are launching a prepaid Visa debit card with very low fees for T-Mobile subscribers and generally low fees for non-subscribers, including free check deposits via smartphone for both. This card looks like it's one of the best prepaid debit cards around and will be a real boon for people who can't get a regular bank account for one reason or another, with estimated savings of up to $1500 in fees compared to using check cashing services.

um, ok I guess but sounds kinda cheesy for a carrier to be doing something so low brow as check cashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Otm Shank posted:

I just ordered an unlocked moto x directly from Motorola. It says it comes with a T-Mobile sim--can I use it to sign up for the nerd plan? I read something claiming that postpaid and prepaid sims are different??

You can activate the sim online and select the nerd plan.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Polo-Rican posted:

So I'm finally ditching Verizon and moving to T-Mobile... I should end up saving a hundred dollars a month. Insane. If I purchase the nerd plan online, at what point do I try to get my current phone number transferred over from Verizon? During checkout? There's a page on the t-mobile site where you can check to see if your number is transferrable, and it says yes, but it's pretty vague as to how or when I actually do it.

Ya you request the port during the sign up process, my port went through overnight.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Can anyone confirm that the free streaming is available to nerds on the $30 goon plan? Since its the last day of my pay period I'm gonna test it later today to see if the streaming music adds up on my account.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

nerve posted:

And on that note I can confirm that the nerd plan also works with that data streaming thing.

Are you saying that streaming music doesn't count towards bandwidth usage on the nerd plan?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Why isnt google music on the list of free streaming? What a rip.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Do the prepaid dork plans qualify for free streaming and international data?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
old news, never mind.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 11, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Any specs on the new cell spots? How long till they are hacked back to standard firmware or remove all the tmo backdoors?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I called about the CellSpot router and they waived the $25 deposit for being a "longtime" customer of 10 months.

Oh I want one, do they ship it to you, who did you call?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just called 611 and they said my pre-paid plan didn't qualify for the cell spot offer. Anyone with the dork plan able to get a cell spot?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Polo-Rican posted:

I've asked this before in the thread but got no responses - am I the only moron who can't get auto pay to work for the nerd plan? The website says "auto pay is ON," but it doesn't say when it will auto pay, and it never does. Each month I just get a Refill Required notice. Is there some miniature link I'm missing on the website? Googling this, it seems like lots of people have this issue and just end up going to a T-Mobile store, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something first.

I use callingmart.com cause I earn a discount for each month I auto pay using them, also no tax. I pay exactly $29.70 and it goes down the more you use it. I set it up to auto load my tmobile number.

Use my referral link if you could be so kind.
http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/wirelesscards.aspx?af=8847b1ba-5229-41ca-be7f-07ef535bfb94&bn=10

You need to use this wireless refill:
T-Mobile To Go RTR/Topup - Auto Load To Phone (Retail $30.00)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Thank god for free calling with google hangouts. The quality alone is worth it. Its super HD voice, better than any cell phone call I have ever heard. Also it doesn't use any minutes and only a small amount of data, zero if I use wifi. I don't see the point in using tmobile's wifi calling, just doing them a favor by not using their network.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
$650 for the nexus 6. Maybe I'm spoiled by the nexus 5 being $350 but this is sad news. Oh well, when is lollipop going to be released for the nexus 5?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

sweart gliwere posted:

I just checked my.t-mobile.com on my phone, and it says I'm over 100 and will be charged $0.10/min from now on. There's no way I'm past an hour this cycle, even if a quarter of that is voicemails counting against my time. There's got to be some bug, time for us cheapskates to pester customer service.

Goddamn, my account says I'm over. Click view plan details says 96 mins, the first page said 100/100. I hope they are buggered cause I only use google hangouts voice calling and that never counted towards my minutes before, and if it starts now... I'm gonna be pissed.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

sweart gliwere posted:

I just checked my.t-mobile.com on my phone, and it says I'm over 100 and will be charged $0.10/min from now on. There's no way I'm past an hour this cycle, even if a quarter of that is voicemails counting against my time. There's got to be some bug, time for us cheapskates to pester customer service.

Any update on this issue? Should I just wait until the bill comes due?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

eddiewalker posted:

Calling 611 and asking for "dollars and minutes balance" seems to be accurate for me even though the site and #646# are broken. I'm taking 611 as official.

Ok, thanks!

edit: yep all good, stupid webpage.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 17, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
The nerd plan is no longer for anti-social nerds who don't talk. With hangouts finally integrating with google voice you can make unlimited calls using only data. Hallelujah

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

monster on a stick posted:

What are the current thoughts on good prepaid devices for the nerd plan?

Nexus 5 of course.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Cojawfee posted:

What device is that.

I think its a nexus.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Manifest Dynasty posted:

My contract is ending this month and I want to get in on this cheap T-Mobile plan. I was looking to get a Nexus 5, but the site lists it as out of stock. If I buy one off Amazon that is "factory unlocked" and make sure it is the D820 version for the US, then I can just order a T-mobile sim card? Then once they both arrive I can select the $30 plan and move my number over, correct? I've never messed with pre-paid plans or buying phones from anyone else but the carriers before.

Yes you can use any phone that is compatible with the tmobile network. Get the n5 from amazon and activate the sim card online with the $30 dork plan.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Also you should setup automatic refills at callingmart. Its cheaper, no tax and if you use my referral link it adds a bonus.

http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/wirelesscards.aspx?af=8847b1ba-5229-41ca-be7f-07ef535bfb94&bn=10

You need to choose this one and set it to load $30 each month.

T-Mobile To Go RTR/Topup - Auto Load To Phone

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I would recommend porting the number to GV and then signing up with a new number for tmobile dork plan. If you start using google voice on android for calls it only uses data, sounds much better than cellular, and doesn't count towards your minutes. Basically its unlimited minutes. It uses a very small amount of data and when on wifi it doesn't count towards your 5gb at all. I have been very happy with it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

hiddenriverninja posted:

I must be in that rare group because my usage this month is already at 50GBs.

Your phone is a communications device and you should not be running torrents on it. Oops is the wrong thread for that?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Is there a proper thread for making up nonsense about how people are supposed to use their computers?

YOSPOS?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=219

Edit: you mean phones, cause these are not computers.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358561&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=459#post438784521

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 18, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
T-mobile sent me an email saying that my data will start rolling over to the next month. Why do they tease? I'm on the dork plan, any chance this will apply?

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/data-stash-customers.html

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Endless Mike posted:

Not unless the nerd plan somehow became a postpaid Simple Choice plan.

Just like they said about streaming music stuff not counting against your data?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Long Francesco posted:

by streaming music and watching the counter on the app go up

What app? You have to compare how much data your phone locally reports and what is reported in the "my" tmobile data usage portal webpage online unit.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I have been using hangouts now that it has the integrated dialer and it works great. The voice quality is a million times better than cellular and I have effectively unlimited minutes. I can use it on cellular data and it doesn't count against my minutes and it still sounds better than a cell call. Plus it works on wifi of course.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

sweart gliwere posted:

One alternative is doing a cheap one-time fee of choosing Google Voice, then using the hangouts dialer for free minutes on wifi/data via your second number (and being able to use your second number to call from a tablet etc). Cricket would likely have better coverage, but if you're generally happy with T-Mo service it's hard to find something comparable without jumping up in price. Hangouts even does picture messaging for Gvoice now.

I use google voice with the hangouts dialer, I havent used a minute of cell service in months. Hangouts voice sounds even better and works on 3g, using very little data.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

yellowjournalism posted:

I know this is dumb but I just want to be absolutely sure-- T-Mobile will NOT pay my ETF if I leave Sprint for T-mo's $30 unlimited data plan, correct?

But remember you will be saving more money each month, it practically pays for your ETF. When I left sprint I paid a $100 ETF (since it is prorated) and within two months and I had saved that by switching.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

IOwnCalculus posted:

Second, is there any reason to not buy these to refill?

I too would like to know if this is legit. Seems like there are a few different sellers are doing the same thing, you supply the number for the refill to be applied. legit?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

r0ck0 posted:

I too would like to know if this is legit. Seems like there are a few different sellers are doing the same thing, you supply the number for the refill to be applied. legit?

Do these work with nerd plans?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191544296700?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

eddiewalker posted:

Totally normal. There's a checkbox to turn those, and the service advertisement texts. I'd tell you where if my.t-mobile wasn't down right now.

I can't find anywhere to turn this off, apparently its required by the FCC.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Mr Funkface posted:

So I'll be moving to the Bay Area (SF) within the next month or so. Is TMob a reasonable carrier around them there parts? I've been with TMob for a while in New York with no complaints and a ton of praise. How is the data service around there? Again TMob did well in the merger fail here in NYC with double-dipping Verizon (or is it AT&T? I forget), is it the same story for SF?

PS It's for a business/company line so I won't be paying. Do I even bother with TMob if someone else is paying?

EDIT: it is vital I get a new 415 number with whomever I go with - is this even possible nowadays? Does it vary with carriers?

Tmob is great in the bay area, I have the dork plan its nice. I doubt you can get a 415 number, they were in short supply the last time I checked. If someone else is paying why not get verizon?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Mr Funkface posted:

I don't know why not!

So yes, why not TMob I guess?

If you leave the bay area you will have better coverage with verizon most likely.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

wormil posted:

I'm really frustrated with Wi-Fi calling. I've changed phones, changed routers, and I still get frequent drops. And while connected the sound frequently drops out so I have to ask people to repeat themselves. It has become an embarrassment.

You can try setting up QoS (quality of service) on your router. The easiest way is to prioritize all traffic to the static IP address or mac address of your phone.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Does anyone know if a verizon LG G3 will work on tmobile?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
According to this it will work.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-lg-g3/general/factory-unlocked-lte-t-mobile-t2828543

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Is anyone on this plan? Is it as good as it sounds?

http://explore.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-family-plan-with-10gb-data