Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there normal tax on post-paid on top of the monthly price? I thought they figured taxes into the amount.

In any case, the montly cost of my pre-paid and the post-paid service I'd want are the same.

The postpaid rates are before taxes. The Prepaid rates are after taxes, though in some states you pay sales tax on refills.
3 lines ($90) incur another $20 in taxes and fees in my area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Polo-Rican posted:

So one final question. Currently, I have two numbers on one Verizon family plan - both numbers are under my name. I have two Moto X and am all ready to activate them. But I'm not sure the best way to make sure I can port both numbers over successfully since you can only do one phone at a time on t-mobile's online activation site.

Basically, I'm worried that if I do one number at a time, Verizon will lock the second number as soon as I request a port for the first. These are the two options I see:

- set up both Moto X's as quickly as possible and hope that both numbers port fine
- give both Moto X's new numbers, and then call t-mobile and ask them to port my verizon numbers over (not sure if this is even possible, the only place I see any info about porting is during device activation)

Anyone dealt with this and have any advice? This is basically impossible to google.

You can port a number at any time. You can easily set up your devices with new numbers and then call T-mobile and say "port a number" into the voice prompt. You'll get someone on the line who has can initiate the ports from there. They can usually tell you immediately whether a port will be successful.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

goninzo posted:

Just a heads up, it appears that tmo adjusted data usage for family plans a bit. http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html

• (good) $50 per month with 1 GB (was 0.5 GB) of data for first line, all other lines step to 1G.
  • (meh) $10 extra per line for 3 GB of data (was 2.5 GB)
  • (bad) $20 extra per line for 5 GB of data and no tethering (was unlimited with 2.5 gig tethering)
  • (bad) $30 extra per line for unlimited data with 5 gig tethering in fine print

So if you're on the family plans, might have to stick with them for a while to avoid the data cost increases.

More carriers are moving away from 'unlimited data' as well. Even though their costs continue to decrease.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong but the new plans (1, 3, 5 GB) should all include tethering up to the limit out of the same data bucket. The unlimited plan had a separately defined limit.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Stick100 posted:

Reports vary from 200k (edge but still decent) to 2mbps (which would be great). Also many people say it doesn't kick in till a decent bit past 5gb (like 5.5/6gb sometimes).

When you get throttled it doesn't actually kick you off HSPA or LTE and onto the EDGE network, it just throttles your speed to something approximating edge speeds. Also, I've found that the real limit as recorded by the data usage on your phone is different from what T-Mobile's website reports. I would hit my limit on the 500 MB plan PRECISELY when my phone had recorded 600 MB used.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Tmobile is apparently getting rid of the current monthly Corporate/Association discounts.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Civil posted:

Source? It probably saves me ~$15/mo.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1827276-Tmobile-Advantage-program-MAJOR-changes!!?p=15381583#post15381583
The thread begins with a leaked PDF detailing changes that would affect anyone who had signed up for the advantage discounts after Feb 3rd, that much seems very likely. There are some unconfirmed posts (including the one I linked to, quoted below) that state that it's changing for all users who are already signed up however.

quote:

Well as I said the internal document that we have access to DOES NOT state customers currently on corp discounts will be grandfathered in. As of this point the information the in the link limeybastard is the most up to date information we have. Letters will be sent starting on March 31. Depending on if you are bill current, or bill in arrears between April , 25 and May, 25 will be the last you will see of the discount applying to your monthly statement. The $25 card can be used to pay your bill, buy accessories, or discount off a handset.

Edit: I hope the part about current customers on discounts not being grandfathered in is wrong.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 28, 2014

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Qu Appelle posted:

Does this go away if you're already grandfathered in? Mine's from Microsoft.

It sounds like it.
http://www.tmonews.com/2014/03/t-mobile-advantage-discount-is-disappearing-full-details-on-upcoming-changes/

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Has anyone had any luck getting Tmobile to ship a phone upgrade anywhere besides the billing address for the plan? Their ordering system online won't let you change the shipping destination.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Now, am I correct in my understanding that the T-Mobile plan is $100 base for the four lines with $25 for each line out of contract, and I can use my phone instead of having to buy new ones as I will not be paying any ETF fee? Are there other charges included I am forgetting? Activation fees, sim cards, etc.? (Though the sims seem to be free on the website)
Also expect to spend another ~$15-20 on taxes and fees per month, depending on where you live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

mAlfunkti0n posted:

This has been discussed over at Reddit's tmobile forum. Look at the notes about it and you'll see they are removing your "data stash" as well. Apparently data stash is counted against them on their books, so because you're not in a contract they are wiggling out of it. Granted unlimited until 2019 is nice, but that old data stash could be used for anything (including tethering).

It's very shady IMO.

I had the 2.5GB simple choice plan without data stash and they added 1 GB to my plan through 2019. It includes tethering.