Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hope they have a good compliance organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Will there be any kind of place to receive updates of the low-band expansion Legere mentioned at CES, if/when that starts going?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Medikit posted:

I would like to know as well. Low-band is much needed as it penetrates walls and decreases the cost of expansion in sparsely populated regions.

Right now most phones don't support T-mobiles 700mhz A (Band 12) and there are specific regulations that do not allow it to be used anywhere that has licensing for Channel 51 (this is most of their acquired regions). Channel 51 will be re-provisioned in less than 2 years and so I anticipate that T-mobile is deploying the technology now and will start using it as soon as they can. By that time most of our phones will support it. In the meantime they are trying to acquire 600mhz spectrum as well.

Here is some good reading: http://assets.fiercemarkets.net/public/mdano/amis/700-tmobile-verizon.pdf

Less than two years... :smith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

b-b-but I'm right in the middle of the US...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cardboard Box A posted:

Middle America ain't real america to T-Mobile

To be perfectly honest it sometimes seems like an illusion to me too sometimes.

but we have an apple store and everything....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What is it about Omaha that makes T-Mobile not sell plans here.

They sell plans in Des Moines which is a city less than half the size.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vulcan posted:

Looked into getting the new HTC One M8 for $200 /w contract renewal and apparently I've been living under a rock and there are no contracts anymore.

So now I have to front $600 or start paying monthly installments that will end up equaling that? That kind of blows, I've had tmobile forever and just enjoyed upgrading for $200 every couple years.

Actually it's awesome, what blows is paying the $200 then paying an inflated bill that shanked you for more than the remaining $400 over the next year alone, then never getting a lower bill after your contract runs out.

but what do I know, some people are so bad with money they literally do not know they're paying for something unless they get beaten over the head with the fact, and get mad about paying less in total because they thought they were previously getting something for free despite paying more.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nickutz posted:

I traveled to Omaha last fall and T-Mo worked fine for me. Even tethered a bit to avoid the hotel wifi and it was plenty fast for general use. That's just my experience though.

Sure, I could get T-Mo service if I wanted to bullshit my way into getting a number in some ridiculous area code out in the middle of nowhere (like 660 :wtc: john legere is crazy but not cows-need-phones crazy) but it'd still have signal issues in a ton of places.

I tested it out when I was on Net10 and it was spotty at best. Weird signal dropouts, too. Were you at a hotel out in the sticks? Or within the civilized area?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nickutz posted:

I didn't stray too far from either the centurylink center or Hilton garden inn and the surrounding restaurants/bars.

Oh okay so you stayed in the proper civilized area.

The farther West you go the fatter and sprawlier stuff gets until you're out in Elkhorn, which is kind of like Omaha's very own leper colony except instead of lepers it's all these inbred hicks who think a 20-minute highway commute to the grocery store is just too short.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think they fixed the "HEH THAT'S NOT A REAL ZIP CODE YOU DIRTY FARMER" problem with their site.

e: I need to look into the process of checking out the Nerd plan. Where do I go to just buy a SIM on the site with no plan attached? It looks like I need to do that first, then it is offered during activation?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

http://www.t-mobile.com/bring-your-own-phone.html
looks like $0.99 again. Scroll down and select the one you need.

Their mobile site is still in gently caress you mode with my location :v:

Their desktop site was being weird with telling me I had to add lines when I tried to checkout, because it was apparently saying I chose a family plan.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ordered a SIM, received the SIM, attempting to activate....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

td4guy posted:

Getting closer!

Looking at a map, would it work for you to choose Council Bluffs, IA right across the border? Or would that net you a different area code that you don't want?

Can't choose CB. IA only has Des Moines/Ames area, meaning a rather distant area code.

I have had GV for a long time so that's not so much of an issue. I just want to see how their coverage looks when not through an MVNO.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This is part of why I want to switch to T-Mobile. Maybe I should start a petition to have them expand into Nebraska.

Problem is there probably aren't enough people in Nebraska to get such a petition to rise above the background noise :v: Maybe someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there a detailed list of markets included in that 700mhz expansion?