Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
$350+tax and shipping from Google, so it might work out to be about the same with the advantage of being able to pay it off monthly with no interest if you want to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I'm not entirely sure, but I think they charge tax for the whole thing with the down payment. I assumed the $396 was with tax included but if it's that plus tax it would be better to buy from Google. Although you wouldn't be able to get the etf deal without buying a phone from tmo.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I'm not sure how that works in another country but postpaid wifi calling doesn't use minutes while on prepaid it does. I'd assume though that since it's going over the Internet they wouldn't have to charge roaming rates at all since they don't have to pay the local telco.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I think some of the problem is people call it the walmart plan and get confused about how to activate it. You don't need to go anywhere near a walmart to get the plan. Order the prepaid kit thing from tmobile, activate it on the tmobile website and pay $30, put the sim in whatever your heart desires because tmobile couldn't give a poo poo what phone you use since it's a sim only plan, and you're done. Talking to a person to activate only makes things confusing and broken because 99% of the time the person you talk to has no idea the plan even exists.

You might have to call afterwards to port a number, but for me at least that was totally painless and took 2 minutes.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

T-Mobile specific question.

I have a Nexus 5 - so obviously no T-Mobile software on it. It's rooted, with a fairly recent AOKP nightly. I'm on T-Mobile prepaid. The only T-Mobile anything on it is a very buggy Visual Voicemail app.

My boss, my mom, and my stepdad all have T-Mobile. Boss and stepdad both have recent T-Mobile branded handsets (both Samsung; stepdad has a SGS4, boss has whatever their current lower end LTE handset is - completely stock). I've noticed whenever I talk to either of them, the call quality is fantastic. I'm not talking "no drop outs or pops"; it's more like "it sounds like they're speaking through a $100,000 home theater system, while standing next to them as they speak, with the $100,000 system blasting into both of my ears". It honestly doesn't sound anything like a phone call.

Mom has whatever slider version of the SGS3 T-Mobile carried last year; I don't notice such call quality with her, though it does seem like call volume (to my earpiece) with her is painfully loud. She tends to shout into phones though..

I know T-Mobile has HD Voice, but doesn't that typically require a handset with T-Mobile-specific firmware?

From what I understand it's not a carrier specific thing really, when the phone supports it, it works. At least if you're both on the same network. Here's a wiki article I found that may or may not help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_Multi-Rate_Wideband

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
If it's like 99% of phones it just pulls right off. Seeing as it barely qualified for garbage phone status when it came out in 2012 it's probably not built very well.

E: seriously if you can return it do it and buy something that's even a little decent or you're going to hate it.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
It says on their prepaid plan page that you get the streaming deal http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Dunno about the $30 plan though since a lot of stuff doesn't seem to apply to it. Also it starts on the 22nd so you guys can stop trying to see if it works until then.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

What are the current thoughts on good prepaid devices for the nerd plan?

Any phone your heart desires.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
You can't switch to the $30 plan it's for new customers only. You can get it with a different number, Port your old number somewhere else and then port it back into tmo on your $30 plan however.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Any update on when they're going to add Google music to the no data cap list?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

r0ck0 posted:

Just like they said about streaming music stuff not counting against your data?

I tried a bunch of the services on the list and they all count against my data, which really sucks since my new phone doesnt have an sd card.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
by streaming music and watching the counter on the app go up

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I've tried Pandora Spotify and Google music and I checked with the tmobile app and the website on my desktop. It's definitely not ads and stuff, I can watch it go up mb by mb as the music is streaming.

Ill have to call and complain I guess, somehow I doubt they will be very helpful though.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Is that $50 unlimited data really unlimited full speed lte? if thats the case i just might have to switch.

E: confirmed with one of their reps, seems like a great deal.

Long Francesco fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 16, 2015

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I'm gonna switch to that Harbor mobile thing and see how it goes. What's the cheapest way to port my number out of tmo and back to Harbor? I'm not really up to date on the att mvnos.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

The Mango posted:

Okay. I'll call up a phone CSR tomorrow and ask to confirm what the chat CSR said.

Any other ideas on how to get a new Moto X that works with T-Mobile for $200? Or should I be looking for a different phone?

If you're set on spending $200 the lg g2 is pretty much the best bang for your buck at that price. you can get a mint one on ebay/swappa for 200 if you look.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Being dead set on buying new limits your options a whole lot at that price, just get the moto g if you really want that box seal cracking experience. or give that up and do some haggling and get this http://swappa.com/listing/EZL074/view or this http://swappa.com/listing/DUA194/view or this http://swappa.com/listing/RIF624/view or this http://swappa.com/listing/PKJ904/view or this http://swappa.com/listing/LYM435/view

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I guess I'm confused - there's Simply Prepaid and Simple Choice, right? I upgraded from the $30 nerd plan to the $80 unlimited plan. I'm paying the same way I was paying on the $30 plan - load money into my account with the credit card, and then on the day it's due the money is taken from the balance. Is this different from a plan that bills me after the fact? Or is this the same thing?

The postpaid simple choice has taxes and government fees and stuff so you end up paying more than the advertised price unlike the prepaid where the price is the price.

I just did the same thing going from the $30 to the unlimited and to offset the pain of not having a $30 phone bill anymore started buying time on eBay. I don't know what shady crap they do but you can get a good hefty discount buying like $95 of credit for 60 bucks.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
That's a pretty lovely thing to do to people who pay the money for unlimited to have data when they need it. I can't say I've noticed any difference when I go over 21 gigs yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
The two largest data usages, music and video, essentially being free to use seems like a pretty big consumer benefit to me.