Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Javid posted:

Any idea how/if the 3g rollout for older iphones is going? Being stuck on edge blows but I've been hanging in for a year now waiting on it.

http://www.airportal.de/ for unofficial 1900=fast reports. Tmonews.com and official corporate press releases give weekly or monthly "modernized market" lists reflecting the 1900 refarm and/or LTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

um, ok I guess but sounds kinda cheesy for a carrier to be doing something so low brow as check cashing.

Yeah, looked it over and the rates for subscribers aren't awful, it's just weird. I can't see much appeal for anyone with access to a credit union. This plus the 0% loan purchase plan says they want to dominate the bankless / cash-only market.

Kinda funny in a depressing way that they'll probably take a chunk of Walmart employees and customers away from that ripoff prepaid card service.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

I spent around 90 minutes on the phone with t-mobile trying to get the Moto X I ordered on the nerd plan, and got absolutely nowhere. If anyone reading this thread is thinking of ordering a Moto X and jumping onto the nerd plan, make sure you order an extra SIM from t-mobile, because without the "activation code" new sims come with it's basically impossible to sign up.

Or, go to a corporate store. There's no hassle and no charge, they take your info and give you a properly-sized SIM tied to your account.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

Should have also mentioned that I'm a new t-mobile customer, trying to switch over from Verizon, so I don't have an account yet.

Ah, I thought you were just transferring SIMs and not starting from scratch. You do get it started online, but still have access to retail service for SIM changes etc in the future.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Watommi posted:

Is TMobile ever going to improve their rural area service? Also, are they ever going to ditch 2G and upgrade to at least 3G? I live and work just outside San Diego, and service is terrible. Even along interstate 8 I often have no service at all, 3G is intermittent, 2G often overpowers the 3G signal, and I have to go pretty close to SD itself to get 4G...there are plenty of high population outlying cities that don't get 4G.

I can't decide if I want to stay with my nice cheap unlimited data plan or go back to ATT. You know your network and coverage is terrible when you make people contemplate going BACK to ATT. If I knew TMobile was working on improving their network I'd stick it out, but if they're happy to ignore everying outside of major city limits I'll probably have to leave.

Yeah, that was the point of their recent 700MHz spectrum purchase from Verizon. Low frequencies cover more area and penetrate buildings better, while using fewer towers. They expect to begin 700MHz coverage rollout late this year.

The little I've read about it said they intend to use it for LTE coverage. I've seen they plan to participate in the upcoming 600MHz spectrum auction, doubt they'll get it but it's evidence they're further interested in increasing coverage.

e: the article,the presentation
e2: The page 14 map looks almost like they deliberately excluded San Diego. Page 24 makes it clear that area is staying under control of its current company. Hahaha.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 19, 2014

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Watommi posted:

The appendix of that presentation says that the San Diego area isn't even owned by TMobile...so that means that area is excluded from future TMobile upgrades? Obviously I don't understand how cell networks work, but shouldn't it be made clear that when I sign up for service with a company that claims all kinds of future upgrades and services that my area, despite being one of the top 10 markets in the country, is excluded? I saw TMobile's ads, read several articles about how TMobile was upgrading the crap out of their network and buying new spectrums, etc, so I bought TMobile service. Only it turns out I actually bought service with Columbia so I don't get all those future upgrades?

That combined with their coverage maps being dead wrong (said where I live was solidly covered by 2g, where I work was "good" to "very strong" with at least 3g, but I have terrible service either place) means TMobile just won't work for me. Sorry to complain so loudly, but man I hated ATT, I was really hoping this would work out.

Far as I can tell, it doesn't mean the San Diego area is forever excluded, just that the 700MHz spectrum there won't be available to T-Mobile for the near future. There's nothing stopping them from building extra towers using their current frequencies, just looks like that particular path to better service isn't happening soon. I'm not an industry expert, it's just a curiosity.

You can try AIO, it's like Straight Talk without the bullshit. Owned by AT&T but no contracts, reasonable prices and a $5 discount for auto-pay. Check the prepaid thread for chat, plenty of people have signed up.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

bobfather posted:

Is anyone here a bad enough dude at TMo to help me out?

The OP (Burden) says he manages a store in California. Try a PM?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Got a text from T-Mo about getting Shakira's new single for free. Is that sort of thing inevitable, or did I accidentally toggle some setting in my account?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

chmods please posted:

In case anyone else is wondering this, according to their online chat I would need to go postpaid or open a new account for the tablet because prepaid accounts can only have a single line.
You can always toggle on the tethering rider in your online account settings. You'd have to rely on your phone as the connection source, but it'd function like a tablet plan.

Not sure whether $15/mo is worth it to you, but it's an option if you aren't hitting near the 5g limit via phone.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Deathlove posted:

Is there a way to do both the T-Mobile Pays My ETF thing, and also get signed up for the $30 web plan? It seems mutually exclusive, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

The dork plan predates their current simple choice plans, so it doesn't get simple choice promotions.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Qu Appelle posted:

Any updates of Tunein?

Not speaking from authority, but stuff like TuneIn and police scanners probably aren't feasible for free streaming.

From appearances, the apps serve as front-end directories rather than central (re)hosting for streams, so T-Mobile would have to whitelist thousands of individual radio streams rather than "Pandora" and "gMusic" etc. Try the lower-bitrate alternate streams if you're burning through data.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

hiddenriverninja posted:

Question: Does UPS require a signature when delivering a T-Mo phone, or will they just leave the package in a discreet area?

I can't give a T-Mobile specific answer, but from personal experience it's entirely seller-dependent so just call up a corporate retail site. It was hilarious to learn that my coworker's $30 replacement GoPhone required a signature and involved three days of clashing schedules, while my $300+ G-Nexus was simply left on the doorstep, shipped straight from Google.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

CaptainCaveman posted:

You seem awfully surprised that a company would offer a dollar more instead of fifty more. They're not dumb. Of course they're going to try to have their offers meet or beat what the other guys are offering so they don't end up paying an additional premium.

Yeah. If $50 is that big a deal, start harassing AT&T and Verizon social media accounts or something, it seems dumb but they might jack prices by a buck because they aren't incapable and would love to bleed out competitors. Try and turn our national telecoms dynamic into the corner gas station dynamic, if you want to max out carrier bonus values.

T-Mo's goal isn't to give everyone fifty extra bucks, it's to entice new customers. While they're doing good by bringing European dynamics to the American cell scene, it's still a for-profit corporation and a relative underdog in this market.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

It's my first month on the 100 minute plan, so I've been compulsively checking my usage.

#646# has said "Down for maintenance. Check back in 5 hours" for several days, and the website shows that I've used exactly all of my minutes, even though I think I should still have about 50.

...Should I quit worrying and expect the website to reflect accurately once whatever maintenance is done?

I just checked my.t-mobile.com on my phone, and it says I'm over 100 and will be charged $0.10/min from now on. There's no way I'm past an hour this cycle, even if a quarter of that is voicemails counting against my time. There's got to be some bug, time for us cheapskates to pester customer service.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Rated PG-34 posted:

I can't seem to find it on T-mobile's website...

Looks like you aren't dorky enough to find the secret entrance. Try again after installing Linux somewhere and beating McKids on a phone's NES emulator app.

check the bottom of the prepaid plan section

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

ChadSexington posted:

I'm also looking at Cricket, which offers the same basics (unlimited talk/text, data limits) for 45/month with autopay. Am I missing out on anything obvious with TMo? The data rollover is nice, but it would be rare for me to top 3GB in data a month in the first place.

One alternative is doing a cheap one-time fee of choosing Google Voice, then using the hangouts dialer for free minutes on wifi/data via your second number (and being able to use your second number to call from a tablet etc). Cricket would likely have better coverage, but if you're generally happy with T-Mo service it's hard to find something comparable without jumping up in price. Hangouts even does picture messaging for Gvoice now.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

I use google voice with the hangouts dialer, I havent used a minute of cell service in months. Hangouts voice sounds even better and works on 3g, using very little data.

Yeah, I wanted to be sure that the G-Voice option was mentioned, since the dork plan might not be available for newbies when T-Mobile has a broader coverage base in a few years. My only complaints are that not everybody can readily handle you having two personal numbers (old people), and that being able to call from a wifi tablet will make your lazy times even lazier.

But those are really just discipline problems rather than any sort of indictment on the services mentioned.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

nimper posted:

The answer is yes, you have to buy a phone that is sold by T-Mobile to get wifi calling.

Case in point: 2014 Moto X comes with a T-Mobile SIM card but it isn't actually sold by T-Mobile. It doesn't support wifi calling.

Alternatively, get a G-Voice number and use Hangouts for a Wi-Fi-calling second line. That'll work on any modern android, but I'm not sure about iOS. I've done it on a few OEM-purchased phones, and it'll even work on a tablet without cell service. There are a few perks like enhanced blocking and online/transcript voicemail.

You even get the bonus of picking your own number, within the available pool per region. Downside is some people don't like dealing with your two numbers, but even MMS works on it these days.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

Doesn't matter since iOS has wifi calling regardless of where you buy it.

Yeah, that's better. I didn't notice an OS preference given, and just wanted to make sure that option was mentioned.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

peepsalot posted:

Now, the thing is, my t-mobile prepaid plan payment is due tomorrow. I actually have $27.50 balance still in the account, which is just not quite enough, and t-mobile has informed me that they will be keeping that non-refundable money. I had already written that off, but now this porting process has been drawn out so long that I'm going to have to pay for another month to have google's phone support call me. Also apparently even though I'd only need to 2.50 additional balance, I can only add a minimum of $10. I really would rather not award their colossal incompetence with more money, simply on principle. Should I just give in and pay $10 on the chance that maybe it helps me not lose this number that I've had for 15yrs or so?

Probably too late to help you, but: if you live near civilization, this is a big part of what makes carrier-owned service worth using. Retail corporate locations can take cash, credit, debit, whatever. Great for paying your bill if you're switching cards/banks/identities, or if your online account has issues.

Many storefronts even have an ATM-style machine in the corner, for people who are just topping up (or don't have questions for employees and want to skip any lines). I've never used one, but the ones I've seen had signs posted that they could take cash payments.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Are they introducing some new detection methods, or adding on layers of weird crap to their network structure? I've tethered routinely to tablets and let others piggyback my data connection on their phones. Even tethered to (conservatively managed) Windows machines. Never had an issue with any of those, and I'm on the classic $30 5GB dork plan.

e: For reference, this is dating back from their 3.5g/HSPA era, all the way to current LTE hotness. Aside from a brief Android OS-level snitching period, it's been a great ride with T-Mobile and I hope it doesn't stop anytime soon.

e2: if it does stop, there are two good $35/mo smartphone options out there:
1) Cricket, for AT&T coverage
2) Total, for Verizon coverage

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 18, 2016

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Meldonox posted:

I wonder if the nerd plan isn't going to be in danger eventually. I haven't gone shopping for a mobile plan in like three years, I have no idea what's out there that would cover my monthly average of 15 minutes of talk/tons of text and data at a similar price.

I'm in the same (though less extreme on minutes) boat. AT&T-network Cricket and Verizon-network Total both have $35/Mo plans, where text+talk are limitless and data is either throttled (Cricket after 2.5gb) or comparably capped (Total after 5gb).

$5 extra per month for better coverage isn't a bad deal, really. I'll stick with T-Mobile until they kill the dork plan, but those are my BYOD fallbacks if it happens anytime soon.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

ohgodwhat posted:

Yesterday, I walked into a store and got $60/month taken off my bill + an extra line. Today, my phone is asking me to sign into tmobile, where it tells me my plan doesn't support data. FFS

Just a guess, but this happened to me once when switching phones (apparently some SIM pushpin ejector triggers are deeper than others). Have you made sure there aren't any old SIMs still inside devices?

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 5, 2017

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

ShowTime posted:

I'm thinking of getting an account on T-Mobile and had a quick question. I don't use my phone a lot, so I just want to do basically the cheapest plan, which looks to be the $45 prepaid plan. Is there a cheaper plan i'm not seeing? It's unlimited texts/calls and up to 4g's of data. I still get unlimited music streaming, right? I download everything on wifi and rarely go above 1gb.

There's still the $30 T-Mobile dork plan (5GB softcap, 100min, unlimited text), but the prepaid plan competition is good enough that I wouldn't recommend something with so few minutes unless you're positive about virtually never going over the talk time.

Ting, Republic, Cricket, Fi, etc are plenty competitive.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Moochewmoo posted:

I purchased my unlocked phone straight from Samsung and they popped in a SIM card and away I went. I don't have a T mobile flash up during boot up so I don't think they had to flash anything to make it work. I have Wi-Fi calling but I'm unsure what VoLTE is.

Voice over LTE is the step that comes before eliminating 2g as a communications backbone, I believe. Usually comes with an increase in conversation quality.

Since 2g is only useful for voice and text and tiny media files, killing it will be great for any network as a way to gain more spectrum for high-speed data without expensive auctions or buyouts.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

What is my best option if I want a 1-line BYOD plan?

MVNOs are great for that scenario, just depends on your specific needs (talk, text, data amounts)

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

utonium posted:

Related question, is T-Mobile similar to Sprint in that you want to avoid going into one of their stores unless you absolutely have to?

Whether getting my account serviced ($30 prepaid dork plan) or standard plans and devices for others: T-Mobile corporate stores have been great. I've never been charged for anything other than standard bills and any deliberate purchases.

I've been a customer since Galaxy Nexus days, for what that's worth. Can't vouch for kiosks or non-corporate stores, though.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Caution to anyone looking forward to T-Mobile's shoe size going up: make sure to check for your specific area before getting comfortable.

Raleigh NC and its surrounding cities won't get some of the new T-Mobile expansion because of media broadcasting dibs, last I checked.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Last time forums poster "I" read up on them was a few months back, but here's links:

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum
http://www.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-700a-spectrum

Is NC's capitol area (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill) not missing some of the frequency expansion? Exclusion Zones is the term I remember for a few spots with protected broadcasts. And they'd need a future UScellular roaming agreement for the triangle, even though neighboring areas will get native 700 etc.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 15, 2017

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Beefstorm posted:

I feel like they do these free line promos to just inflate their postpaid activation numbers for shareholders.

I'm not complaining. More just, trying to figure out whats in it for them...

"Churn" is the industry term for cycling through the same customers again and again as they switch carriers or activate new-line promos.

Eternal, infinite, exponential, growth is what the stock market wants to see. So that's what companies try to portray. Pay no attention to the limited number of actual potential customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
I'm having a hard time finding a simple comprehensive list of Band-71 (600mhz) service deployments, trying to help someone switching carriers.

The coverage info maps from T-Mobile just kinda lumps b71 4g in with the other 4g, and b71 5g in with mid and high band. Is the only useful info going to be waiting for press releases or browsing through third-party mapping services?