Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Finally bit the bullet and purchased a Nexus 5 and prepaid SIM card and am now on the $30/mo 100 minutes + unlimited text/data plan.

I still have my S4 with Sprint (which I'll probably keep for two months to compare coverage), so I haven't been using the phone as my primary (nor does anyone have my new phone number).

But I have a question for those using Talkatone (or equivalent): are you only giving out your Google Voice number?

How does this work for incoming calls? If someone calls and I am not on a strong wireless signal, I imagine weak 3G/4G/LTE will make the call sound terrible. Do you have to call them back using your T-Mobile number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's just a regular call. When they call your GV number, it goes to Google's switch and Google forwards the call to your cell number. When you "call out" using your GV number, you're actually calling Google and they're forwarding the call to the number you want. Both ways still use up minutes.

Oh, my mistake, I never installed GV on my phone, just Talkatone. So use GV when I don't have data, use Talkatone for when I do.

And I guess just use Talkatone as my default SMS/MMS client.