Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

bobfather posted:

Some markets had $70 for two lines, 6gb of data with data stash. I think that’s over too though.

Just walked in and got this deal today in Detroit. Coming from Cricket it's a pretty damned good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

bobfather posted:

What's especially great about it is government and (I think) corporate discounts work on it, so you can get up to 15% off on that particular plan.

Can those be applied after the fact? Doubt my company has one but who knows what other affiliations I'm eligible for.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Qu Appelle posted:

I took the stock and the Warcraft movie.

Broke rear end and easily amused student here.

I don't see where I can get the stock. I signed up for service on Tuesday if that matters.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

So is the only difference really that the $50 plan gets you Binge On and calls to Canada and Mexico?

Plus roaming on AT&T (potentially voice only, unclear) and presumably priority on the network over prepaid. I've experienced the latter on Cricket several times when in crowded areas/events. At a baseball game I couldn't get data to work to save my life. Was bit frustrating when I had a work issue to handle.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Looks like hangouts dialer will work for the main conf. call number I use. Didn't know about this, I had pretty much forgotten I still had a google voice #.

Why's there a $0.10 in the corner though, with a plus next to it. Is that my balance, or a minute rate for something? When I click the plus, it opens google voice tab in browser that is stuck in a redirect loop or something.

Used for international calls

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Any Chicagoons here? I am visiting and cannot get service in any of the buildings on north Michigan avenue, namely my hotel. I thought T-Mobile got through this issue or at least would roam on at&t. Is it a building penetration issue or a tower issue right here? Had perfect signal up in Lincoln Park and decent when outdoors in the loop area.

Frustrating anecdote: Giordanos on Navy Pier doesn't give you pagers, they only call or text you. Or course it's a dead zone there and at the children's museum so I was going to have to check in every five or ten minutes because of that. Got lucky though and a table came open when I went to preorder but that really made the poor service a PITA.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

Why the hell are you not at Lou Malnati's

Point taken. Lou's is awesome. Been there a dozen times. Schedule of activities took us to Navy Pier so settled on that. You're still right though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Astro7x posted:

My god... is that for real? I have an iPhone 6, so this seems too good to be true.

I realize the possiblity of getting stuck with a phone that can only be used on the T-Mobile network is part of it though.

Worst case scenario you pay the balance off. It's a 24 month interest free loan.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ever since moving to iOS10 I'm experiencing a lot of dropped calls, seemingly with other T mobile customers. Am I alone in that? I suspected wifi calling but turned that off. Tried setting LTE to data only but my phone gets stuck on 4G anyway.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Uthor posted:

Didn't TMobile say not to update older phones to iOS 10 because it doesn't work right with the network?

Edit: https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.com/ios-10-is-messing-up-some-t-mobile-iphones-and-people-a-1786694896/amp?client=ms-android-google

I have a 6S which I believe wasn't affected. Also they released that minutes after I hit the update button!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wow. Whats the catch? I don't have an immediate need for extra lines but have three kids that will in future years. If it's no downside may as well grab the sim and pop it in an old windows phone I have lying around.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Looks like you can add tablets and get them for free also. Some require a 6gb line which would be $35/line and the tablet lines cap at $25 so you would pay $10/Mo. Seems worth it to me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Welp, what a legit deal. Just went into a store and got two free LG tablets (being shipped, no stock left) with 6GB data each for only $3/Mo on each line for fees and taxes. I had to pay sales tax on the tablets ($36 combined I think) and $20/EA for activation sims (felt that it was bullshit was incredible deal still). That's it. I will see the bill credits in two months so the first one will be high but the second will be larger to cover the first.

Why does T-Mobile hate money???

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

If it's a simple choice or T-Mobile one plan you're good.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So did an iPad mini 4 deal get out or was that just speculation?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bentai posted:

So just to get it right, once Simple Choice is killed off all new customers will pay $70 a month for one line, no matter what?

$60 if you use less than 2gb of data.

I think I'll keep my $86 all-in bill for two voice lines and two tablet lines each at 6GB.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Has anyone received the bill credits that were associated with the Black friday 'give away devices and lines' deal that happened? I just received my second bill and none yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Called today. They said it would take two FULL bill cycles. The first bill I received wasn't the "first".

Guy on the phone broke it down for me and I left confident that it'll happen.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Any on Tmo have ridiculously times waiting for voicemails? I will miss a call and then finally receive the voicemail hours later.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I suspect it's an issue with transcribing. I also have the issue where I can see the voicemail but cannot access it or listen until it's done transcribing on the servers.

Very frustrating issue. All calls from my company HQ comes from the same meeting and I usually let them go to voicemail when in a meeting. Now I have to step out and answer 95% that I wish I didn't to make sure it's not my VP needing me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does anyone know if Podcasts downloaded through Apple's podcast app count toward data or under the Music Freedom?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ddogflex posted:

They use all sorts of different servers. In my experience they use data.

Ahh, that makes sense. For some reason I was thinking that Apple actually stored all of the podcasts but it makes much more sense that it just maintains the feeds.

Appreciate the feedback.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Seems like T-Mobile is implementing a deal where users with two lines can get a third for free. This means that if someone is switching now and they get the 20% off deal, they could get 3 lines on unlimited plans for $80 per month (or less if they use <2GB data on either of the main devices). Seems like a pretty sweet deal.

Looks like Simple Choice can get in on this as well. Interested to know if those of us who took advantage of the extra 2 lines during black friday are eligible. Would love to get a fifth line for $3/month (the taxes).

On that note, does anyone know if the car hotspot thing registers as a tablet line or not? I'd like some flexibility in how to use that in the future if I decide I don't want a car hotspot anymore.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Was able to add a free line to my SC Unlimited account today even though I already added two free lines for the black Friday deal. Thanks for the three free lines T-Mobile

I got the two at Black Friday and was looking forward to another.

I'm bummed because I just called to cancel a line I set up for my father while he was visiting from Europe. Doesn't make any damned sense to call to have it reversed before it goes effective in a week and get the extra line.

Next time T-mobile. Keep on disrupting!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Tmo getting their bill credits in order for
Black Friday. Second bill in a row way below what I expect it to come in at. My crude math has it all trued up but waiting to see what the final steady bill will be.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sarah Problem posted:

Any news on t-mobile doing the free
MLB tv thing again this year? I used the gently caress out of that last season

They put it out there last week, apparently coming on April 4th.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

heffray posted:

For the MLB offer: you have to sign up while on the data network and not another carrier or wifi. Once you're registered you can watch on whatever the MLB service / apps support.

Except games for your home team live like I just tried.

First time with MLB.tv, what's the point of this if I can't watch my team play? Is this for people who live in other markets to watch their home team? Seems very niche to me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Luceo posted:

Get AdFreeTime, use their DNS, never care about those stupid blackouts again.

Thanks for the clarifications. I did just pick up Express VPN to put on my router as a knee jerk reaction to the repeal of the privacy rules. Downside is Netflix blocked so I'm not sure I want to keep using it as is.

Point well taken though!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks! Will win brownie points with my in-laws on this one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's especially bad if you're ordering a new iPhone as pre-orders go up. I'm calling this year to order my iPhone 8 if T-Mobile does another trade in deal.

What were the iphone deals that T-mobile had in the past on/near release? I have an aging 6S that I'm himming and hawing about upgrading in the near future. Can't see myself leaving T-mobile anytime soon so maybe a carrier upgrade deal may be in the cards if the deal is right.

I've had some insane Black Friday deals w/T-mo (2 free tablets and tablet lines) so interested to see what could be in the cards.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Astro7x posted:

When the IPhone 6 came out they were doing a deal where they would match the trade in value of any other carrier, plus $50 to sweeten the deal. AT&T and others were doing $200 for the iPhone 4, and I remember getting $250 for mine.

iPhone 7 had promotions for a free iPhone 7 when you traded in an iPhone 6 or newer, but it was in the form of bill credits over 24 month that you would lose if you canceled.

I assume the iPhone 7 was new line only, correct?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Probably your best bet is to jump on a prepaid carrier for a sweet promotion. T-mobile regularly run them and worth the wait.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

When I put my 6S 64Gb in their online calculator I got a trade in value of $118. Is that right or is there a special promotion where that's goosed up to $300 for any recent phones?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

When I put my 6S 64Gb in their online calculator I got a trade in value of $118. Is that right or is there a special promotion where that's goosed up to $300 for any recent phones?

Going to answer my own question. The STANDARD trade-in calculator said that. I went through the offer page and it shows a full $300 off in bill credits for my 6s, which is a great deal to me as it's quite scuffed up around the edges and I can't see myself getting $250 before expenses in the market.

Now to decide between the 8 and the 8+. If I get the 8+ will Tmo allow me to swap to an 8 without loving up the offer within some period of time?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FWIW, ~$85 after taxes for two phones and two tablets. 6gb each with binge on and unlimited rest. Don't think I can ever leave. Too good of a deal.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does the SyncUp use a tablet sim or phone sim? I have an idle tablet line from an LG that broke on me and wouldn't mind getting the sync up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

For the free 1-hour of Gogo inflight wifi, is that only for the phone or can I also use that on my laptop? Has anyone used this feature before and anything I need to be aware of before I get airborne and unable to do?

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

I’ve used it on my iPad— they just prompt you for your phone number and then you get your hour.

Sweet. Is there any authentication on the device in question or just takes the number? I have four lines on my account and a three hour flight. Hoping to use the other lives despite them not being with me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Answering my own question from the sky. Put in one of my tablet phone numbers and answered a captcha was all it took. Said something about WiFi calling but cannot say if I've done it in the past or not to make it activate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Makes sense. One thing to note is that I couldn't get another hour on my iPhone with a different line. Said I already used it. Another line did work on my work phone, but the option was missing on my iPad. Just for reference for folks. I wasn't able to just cycle through the numbers even after clearing my cookies.