Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

There is a serious lack of poker talk in this forum and it sucks. So I am going to start a log here and hopefully some others will post here too and we can have some cool discussions. I will try to post everything I do poker-wise, including profits/losses, big hands (good or bad), hands that I have questions about, and just general poker poo poo. I hope this will make me more accountable because maybe I won't do stupid poo poo if I have to hear people here tear me a new rear end in a top hat. I won't guarantee a posting schedule and I may even abandon this thread, but I figure it's worth a shot.

On to my first session of 2014:

1/8/2014: $2/$5 at the local race track
A few unknowns, a few known old nits, and one player in particular I am targeting: Wheelchair Jack. He is a super loose transparent postflop player. He opens a wide range preflop, no matter his position. Postflop, when he bets small he usually has a weak made hand or is semi-bluffing, he'll often donk bet like this as the PF caller. When he bets bigger he has top pair or better. When he raises he usually has the nuts or close to it, especially a check/raise.

He is currently sitting on a $1000 stack. I buy in for $700, but I think should consider buying in full when conditions are good.

In my first hand of consequence, a few limpers to Wheelchair Jack in the HJ, he raises to $25, I have AKo (no spade) and re-raise to $100 OTB, expecting him to call a lot. He does call.

Flop comes KQ7:s::s:. He leads for $100 into a ~$200 pot. I raise to $275, he calls.

Turn comes 6x. He leads for $200 into ~$750 and I go all in, he calls quickly.

We run it once (I always run it twice when allowed, Jack wanted to run it once). River is another 6. He tables K:h:T:h: and I win. This is pretty standard for this villain. He can be valuetowned easily and I think every decision I made was pretty standard.
---------------

Next hand is against someone I hadn't played before today, but he called a lot of raises preflop no matter the size and he liked to talk strategy with others at the table. Effective stacks are ~$1000, I cover Villain.

I'm in EP. Two limpers to me, I have 77 and raise to $15. I do "pot-building" raises with small PPs at tables where I know I will get a lot of callers and very few players attempting to squeeze. I'm not trying to isolate with this hand at all, just trying to make it easy to get stacks in if I flop a set, and fold if I miss. Sure enough there are 5 callers to the flop, including Villain OTB.

Flop: AJ7r. That's a bingo! 2 checks to me, I bet $65, folds to Villain who raises to $175.

It should be mentioned that up to this point I have been extraordinarily tight for my standards mainly due to bad starting hands and the standard open being like $35. So I don't think he's doing this with anything but two-pair+. I think he's 3-betting AA and JJ preflop because of the number of callers to him and the likelihood it would be multiway. So I am really confident he has two pair here, weighted toward AJ. It would be a weird bluff but I guess it's possible.

Anyways after I think for a bit I raise to $400, he ships it all in, I call. He has A7o, we run it twice and I scoop, and I'm sitting on about $2500.
---------------

I'm down to around $2300 after losing a few small pots. Third big hand is against someone similar to the guy in Hand #2, except way looser (maybe like 70% VPIP). He's already been to the ATM like 4 times so he's chasing his losses pretty badly. He's not particularly aggressive post-flop, but he does peel really widely. Effective stacks are like $800.

Onto the hand. I have QQ UTG and raise to $25. This raise size has been getting called consistently. Honestly I may have sized it too small for this table. Anyways I get 4 callers including Villain on the button or CO.

Flop is KQTr. I bet $100 into $125ish. Villain calls, everyone else folds.

Turn is a T. I bet $210 into $325. He calls.

River is like a 6 or some blank. I decide to bet small, like $275 into $745. I figure he is weighted toward either a busted draw or a king. I think he raises trips or straights OTT, I have most of the queens. I wasn't sure if he'd bluff his missed draws given him being a little tilted, but I was pretty sure he would call a smallish bet with any king.

He actually thought a lot longer than I thought he would, even saying "that bet is just asking me to call!". He did end up calling after about a minute, and he mucked his hand. Given this information I probably would have just shipped it if I could redo the hand. I ended up possibly leaving ~$200 on the table.
---------------

Fourth hand is when I decided it was time to leave. My stack is like $3500 right now.

Villain is a young guy with a Boston accent and New England Patriots attire who isn't particularly active preflop and has twice bemoaned the fact that "my AK missed again! I need to start playing crappy hands". He recently doubled up to about $1200 after flopping a set and getting it in. He has also aware of my tight image and mentioned it to me ("wow you are getting some good hands tonight!"), as almost every hand I have shown down has been a big hand preflop.

I am UTG+1 and raise to $25 with A:h:3:h: (mistake #1, probably should just fold this preflop in EP). Villain to my direct left 3-bets to $70. Given his earlier comments and play, I put him on a range of AQs, AK, JJ+. I call $45 (mistake #2, I really shouldn't be playing this hand against a 3-bet OOP, and 4-betting is not an option against this guy).

Flop comes TT4r. I check, he checks. When he checks, I think he has either AK or maybe KK+ if he recognizes how often I am c/fing this board, but I'm not sure he'd recognize this so I weigh him more towards AK. I think he is betting JJ and QQ though in case a K or A comes on the turn. Given all of this, I think I can get AK to fold on most board runouts if I fire two barrels.

Turn is another T. I bet $100 into $140, he calls. I wasn't shocked that he called here, though I thought he would fold sometimes.

River is a Q. This is a great river card for me because he has like no Qs in his range unless he 3-bet with AQ or checked flop with QQ, both unlikely. On the other hand, a Q should scare his AK if he has it, or JJ-. I decide to bet $250 into $340.

He thinks for like 2 minutes and finally calls and shows AK which was part of the range I thought this bluff would work against. Honestly I was pretty shocked he called with this hand.

Aside from preflop, does this bluff look good against the described villain?

Either way, I recognized this preflop mistake and also recognized I was getting tired so I racked up and left.
---------------

Net profit today: $2430
Hours played today: 5.5

Net total profit for 2014: $2430
Total hours played: 5.5

I also decided this week that I am going to play in the WSOP Circuit Events in Palm Beach next month. Anyone else going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

subscribed, keep at it son

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I usually try to play Wednesday nights at the local card room because that is the night where the big private PLO game is played (usually $5/$10/$25, close to $50k is on the table at any time), a smaller private $5/$10 NLHE game is played, and also the biggest weekly tournament is played, a $200 buy in. People who are on the waiting list for the big games usually like to gamble it up playing $2/$5 before hand, and I am happy to play with these players. Also the lovely weekly tournament grinders usually play $2/$5 after they bust so that adds a little juice to the game.

I'm considering playing the tournament tonight because it's a $10k guarantee this week, which only happens once a month, and also because I want to brush up my tournament game before the WSOP in February. But it's really hard to say no to a really juicy $2/$5 game. I guess I'll scout the cash tables tonight and if they don't look good I'll play the tournament.

Either way I'll report in either tonight or tomorrow.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I decided just to play cash because the tournament structure sucked and I liked the lineup at the cash tables.

1/15/2014: $2/$5 at the race track
Buy in for $700. First noteworthy hand is against a super loose middle aged man who overplays his top pair type hands and rarely bluffs more than just a flop cbet. I open A:s:J:s: UTG to $20 and get two callers including villain from the BB.

Flop comes K73:s::s:. I bet $45 into $60. One call. Villain shoves for about $275. At this point there is $425 in the pot and I have to call $230. I think his range here is dominated by Kx. Either way I am getting a little worse than 2:1 on a call but I think I am about a 1.5:1 dog on average so I call. Board bricks out and I lose to K5o.
---------------

Next hand is very similar. Villain is a passive player who is playing short stacked, haven't played much with him before. I have A:s:K:s: in EP and raise to $20. Villain calls. Everyone else folds.

Flop comes Q83:s::s:. I bet $25 into $40. He goes all in for his remaining $100. I call and it bricks out again. He has KQo and wins. Lost two flips so far but no big deal.
---------------

I'm at a new table now because I was moved from the must-move table to the main game. I have played with this villain before, I don't remember his name but he sounds Italian so let's call him Vinny. Vinny does some weird poo poo. For example, I have seen him limp after several limpers behind him, and then re-raise a late position raiser with QJo. So a limp-reraise does not equal premium for this guy. He is very transparent postflop and will only bet with good hands or good draws. He'll also bet weird amounts like $50 on flop, then $50 on turn, then $25 on river when he has like bottom pair in position instead of just checking. He has no plan at all basically.

Onto the hand, 3 limpers (including Vinny, who was the 3rd limper) to me in the SB, I decide to raise to 35 with K:d:J:d:. I don't think it's a huge mistake for me to raise here but maybe I should have just completed. Vinny minimum re-raises to $65. Effective stacks are $1000 so I decide to call planning to proceed cautiously because I have an easily dominated hand.

Flop comes like 9:d:6:d:4:d: (I forget the ranks but it was 9 high all diamonds). I check, unfortunately he checks back.

Turn is the K:c:. I'm thinking this is a good card for me because a lot of his flop checkback range has A high or K high. I was contemplating a check/raise because if he had a K I think he's calling here a large percentage of the time. But instead I decide to bet big, $125 into $140. He calls $125.

River is a blank. I bet $250 into $390. He calls with KQo and I win a pretty nice pot.

I think betting the turn was fine but I think I should have bombed river for like $350 or $400. If he has a king or better he is calling me here, whether I bet $250 or $400. If he has a pair worse than kings he's probably not calling a big bet, but honestly how many pairs worse than kings play it like this? I mentally scolded myself after this hand for leaving so much money on the table. Mistakes like these are what I want to fix this year.
---------------

There was a guy just blind shipping his last money for the day and I picked up $150 when I called him with A:s:T:s: and held against his worse ace high. Live poker.
---------------

And then I started making mistakes. I opened 6:h:5:h: UTG for $20, called by a super tight passive player on my left and like 2 others. Flop comes K43, I bet $55 and he called. Turn comes A which is a great bluff card, I bet again $110 and he raises huge to $450. I fold.

I think postflop is fine, but that is 100% a fold preflop at this table. I was getting a little card dead and I needed to be more patient.
---------------

Next villain is a crazy Asian who tries to pull off the most unbelievable bluffs and they usually don't work, he goes by the name of Rock. He also likes to slowroll the poo poo out of people and everyone at the table is aware of this and doesn't like him. In a hand with him I played a few weeks ago, I opened with JJ and he called from the button. Flop came KK6. I bet and he called. Turn came a J. I bet again and he called again. River was a K. He checked again and I bet for thin value after I got counterfeited. He bluff shoved for like $100 more into a $700 pot and I puke-called and he turned over AQ. He's done this with other people but usually gets picked off.

I am in MP and there are 2 limpers to me and I limp with 7:c:5:c: (another mistake, just fold). Rock raises to $25 from the SB. One limper calls, I call in position.

Flop comes Qx7x6:c:. Rock checks, limper checks, I bet $45 into $80, Rock calls, limper folds.

Turn comes 6x and Rock donks $50 into $170. I begin thinking this is one of those unbelievable bluffs and I decide to call turn and call most rivers.

River is an A. Rock bets $150 into $270. I tank and decide to call, he shows AK and I lose.

This was probably my worst played hand of the night. Preflop this is 100% a fold, but I was card dead and decided hurf durf 75 SOOTED LOOKS GOOD TO ME! Flop I need to bet more, probably closer to $60 or $65 into $80. Turn I think is okay as played, I think he is bluffing a large percentage of time with the c/c and then donk turn line when the board texture hasn't changed at all. The river is really close. I think if he has a complete garbage hand or a draw like 89 he is going to bet the flop as a bluff and not ch/c. c/c seems like ace high or something like TT or JJ. Also, donking the turn small like that ensures that he gets to see a cheap river card, which again makes sense for a hand like ace high rather than complete air or a draw. And then when the river comes and he bets bigger but not too big, I think he is putting me on a Q or a 7 and wants a call. I think if I thought about this for a little longer I would have folded because while he sometimes does weird poo poo, I can't see anything that I beat here.
---------------

And finally, the reason I stayed despite me playing horribly: Primo. He is an absolute whale and is good for donating all of his chips once or twice a session. Effective stacks are about $500.

UTG+1 opens for $15. I call $15 in MP with A:c:T:c:, Primo calls in the SB, BB calls.

Flop comes T65dd. Checks to UTG+1 who bets $40 into $60, I call, Primo calls, BB folds.

Turn comes 9x. Checks to me. I bet $130 into $180. Primo calls, UTG+1 folds.

River comes 9x. I go all in for Primo's remaining ~$300. He calls with A6o and I ship a nice pot to bring me about even for the day. Primo gets up and leaves so I leave shortly after.
----------------

Overall I thought this was a really poorly played session of mine. I limped way too often with marginal hands and was punished for it a couple of times because I was getting impatient. Also my bet-sizings were not great for a lot of the hands I played. While I was card-dead for a long period, it's not uncommon and I need to get better at dealing with it.

Total buy in amount including rebuys: $1300
Cashed out: $1283
Net profit today: -$17
Hours played today: 8

Net profit for 2014: $2413
Hours played in 2014: 13.5

Hourly rate: $178.74/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): an entirely sustainable 119.16 BB/100

I'll start posting graphs and poo poo once I get some more sessions under my belt. I am planning on playing a $350 tournament and some cash this weekend.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

1/17/2014: $2/$5 at the race track
I played a short 2 hour session of cash before the tournament. I bought in for $800 total this time.

Two hands of consequence. First one I have QQ UTG and raise to $20. I get 4 callers including the BB. Flop comes Q:h:5:h:5:d:. Checks around. I decided to check here because I thought any 5 or Q would bet here and maybe even flush draws. I was going to check/raise the deeper stacked villains and check call against a short stack.

Turn comes a 2:d:. BB checks, I bet $65. Folds to BB who calls. I decided to bet here because the board didn't change too much and I didn't want to lose any more value.

River comes 2:h:. BB leads $140. I raise all in for his remaining $200. He snap folds, I guess he had a busted draw.

I feel like I could have just led the flop small and gotten called by any draw, Q, or 5, but I also felt like there were so few of those out there that checking and trying to let the opponents catch up was best.
---------------

Next hand one limper in EP, I raise T:d:8:d: from the HJ to $25. CO, BTN, BB, and limper all call. I thought opening this hand was fine from late position, wasn't expecting all of the callers, the table hadn't been that lose.

Flop comes J:d:9:c:2:d:. Checks to me, I bet $100 into $125. BB raises all in for his remaining $225 and I quickly call. Turn is a blank, but I river a Q to win. He had AJ.

Then I lost a couple of small and medium pots, none of which were too noteworthy.
---------------

It was a short session but I thought I played much better this time. I'll post about the tournament next.

Total buy in amount including rebuys: $800
Cashed out: $894
Net profit today: $94
Hours played today: 2

Net profit for 2014: $2507
Hours played in 2014: 15.5

Hourly rate: $161.74/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 107.83 BB/100

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

1/17/2014: $370, $50k guarantee tournament
I thought it was going to be a $360 tournament, but it was actually a $370 tournament since the dealer add on was $20 instead of the usual $10. Starting stacks are 15000.

First level: blinds are 25/50. Villain is a competent local tournament grinder, but not too great. Effective stacks are 15000. He raises to 150 from UTG. I have KK and decide to call from the button which in hindsight was a horrible mistake. Even if I turn my hand face up here, I don't think he is good enough to punish me too much even if the stacks are really deep, and I am in position

Flop comes QT5r. He bets 200 into 350, I raise to 575. He calls. Turn is an A. He checks, and I check. I don't think any worse is calling me here (KQ and QJ probably fold now).

River is a blank, like a 6 or something. He bets 1100 into 1500. I fold.

I misplayed this preflop, but after that I think I played it fine. I think the flop is a raise because he is calling me with a lot worse including draws. The turn not only improved made hands like AT and AQ, but also draws like KJ, AK, and AJ, so I think checking here is best. River I think is a pretty easy fold. lovely turn card.
---------------
Fourth level: blinds are 100/200, I have 14000. Villain is a looser middle aged man, but not much else in terms of reads.

Effective stacks are 14000. Folds to me in MP and I raise to 275 with 55. Villain in BB calls. Heads up to the flop of T32 with one :c:. He checks, I bet 375 into 650. He calls.

Turn is 8:c:. He checks, I bet 850 into 1400. He calls.

River is a 4:c:. He checks, I check. He tables 42o for a rivered two pair.

---------------
Next hand is probably the most interesting one of my tournament, and one I thought I played extremely well. Effective stacks are 12000.

Fifth level: blinds are 150/300, I have like 12000 at this point. Villain is an old man who is VERY transparent with his hand selection. If he has a good hand, AJs+, KJs+, AQ+, 88+, he will raise preflop. If he has a moderate hand, he will limp preflop (AXs, suited connectors, small pocket pairs, KTs, etc.). Postflop he plays passively and overpairs strongly.

Villain limps UTG. One more limper in MP. SB completes, I check with J:d:8:h:.

Flop comes T94r with one :d:. SB bets 600, I call 600. Villain raises to 1700, MP folds, SB calls, I call 1100 more (pot is now 6300). I called the original bet because I had good implied odds if I hit my straight, and good pot odds on the call of the raise.

Turn comes 4:d:. SB checks, I check, villain bets 2600 into 6300. SB folds, I decide to call.

River comes J:d:. I lead 3000 into 11500 and he calls. I show my hand, he shows his T:h:9:h: thinking he won, but I ship a nice pot.

Here are my thoughts on all streets:
Preflop is standard.

Flop I decide to call the original bet in position with an OESD, and then I decide to call the raise because I have huge implied odds if I hit and good pot odds. He flop raising range is very narrow here IMO, T9s and 44, maybe QJ. He rarely has 99 or TT and he isn't the type to open limp with a big pair like AA or KK.

Turn I thought was actually a good card for me, it takes away combos of 44 from his range. I know it's best to play against ranges rather than specific hands, but I thought T9s makes up such a huge portion of his range here that I thought a J was an out at this point. He only bet 2600 into 6300, so I'm getting close to 3.5:1 for a call and I figured I had 11 outs here: any Q, 7, or J. So just sheer pot odds alone dictates a call (no ICM effects at this moment, we are far from the money). Implied odds makes it even more of a call.

On the river I thought he might shut down on the J turn card, since so much of my range includes Js. If I knew he didn't know that he was counterfeited I may have led bigger. I probably still could have led bigger but I really wanted a call. I was really pleased when he turned up the exact hand I put him on.
---------------

8th level: 400/800/75 blinds and antes. Villain is very loose and has shown down 2 bluffs so far. I raise to 1600 UTG with A:d:J:d:. Villain calls in the BB. Effective stacks are 20000.

Flop comes 9:d:6:d:2x. He checks, I bet 2700 into 4350. He calls. Turn comes 6x. He checks, I check (I don't think this is a good card to barrel, he is probably calling another bet and could raise). River comes T:d:, completing my flush. He leads 6000 into 9750. I raise all in for my remaining ~15000. He calls and I win a big pot.
---------------

8th level again and same villain. Effective stacks are like 27500. He opens to 2200 from the CO and I 3-bet him to 5500 OTB with AJo. He calls. Flop comes Ax4:d:6:d:. He open shoves his remaining ~22000 into ~12000. I think for about 30 seconds and decide that draws make up a majority of his range, trying to get me to fold JJ-KK. So I call, he has 9:d:8:d: and I hold. My stack is like 60000 now.
---------------

And then I go completely card dead and I lost two all ins preflop: my QJs from the CO < BB's A3s when I had 40000 at 1500/3000/300 which crippled me, then I shoved 89s and lost my remaining stack to AJs.
---------------

I thought I played okay but I got a little unlucky going card dead at the end. Tournament poker.

Today's stats
Tournament buy in: $370
Place finished: 17th out of 58 on Day 1c of the event.
Net profit: -$370

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $2507
Hours played: 15.5
Hourly rate: $161.74/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 107.83 BB/100

2014 Tournaments
Total buy in amount: $370
Total profit: -$370
Tournaments played: 1
ROI: -100% (hey it can't get any worse!)

Overall profit for 2014: $2137

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

1/22/2014: $2/$5 Cash
I had a pretty lovely session of cash last night. I don't think I played particularly poorly all night (except one hand noted below), but the deck seemed stacked against me in critical spots all night.

---------------
I buy in for $800 again. First hand is against an overly loose preflop opener, but is actually pretty decent postflop, nothing fancy though. Effective stacks are $800.

He opens from UTG to $20, I call with A:s:9:s: in MP, thinking that my hand plays fine multiway and that I am probably ahead preflop. As it turns out everyone else folds.

The flop comes 764 with one :s:. Villain bets $30 into $40. I call. I think I am ahead a decent portion of the time here and I was planning on betting if he checked to me on the turn.

Turn comes 5:s:. Villain bets $55 into $100. He can certainly have me beat here, but I have a gutshot with two overs and the NFD so I decide to call in position.

River comes 8x. Villain overbets $300 into $210. I decide to just call here. I thought long and hard about shoving here, trying to represent a bluff and having him call and play the board. In hindsight maybe I should have done this, though I'm sure he wouldn't have folded his actual hand which was 9:c:6:c: and we chop the pot. Any thoughts on shoving river after he overbets?

---------------
Next hand UTG+1 opens for $25. 3 callers to me on the button, I call with 5:d:7:d: (this could be a 3-bet here, but I don't think calling is terrible), BB calls.

Flop comes T75r with one :h:. Checks to me. I bet $125 into $150. Villain in the BB raises AI for $165 and I call. Turn: Q:h:. River: 8:h:. He flips over K:h:T:h: and I lose $190 in this pot after being a pretty big favorite on the flop.

---------------
This is the hand that I messed up on. Villain is a tight raiser but a looser caller. I wouldn't exactly describe him as a station, but he doesn't know when to fold preflop.

Villain limps in EP. I raise to $25 in the CO with A:c:5:c:. SB calls, Villain calls.

Flop comes K:c:6:c:2:h:. Checks to me, I bet $50 into $75, Villain raises to $130. Effective stacks are about $800 again, he has me covered. I think this is a pretty easy call with the NFD and him likely having at least AK. I planned on calling some turn bets depending on the size, hoping to stack him if I hit, but I think I should have defaulted to folding on blank turns.

Turn is a brick, like the 8:d:. He bets $225 into $335. I call $225 (my thinking was that I am calling $225 to win the $560 in the pot plus my remaining ~$400 a large percentage of the time).

River is another brick. He bets small, $200 into $785 and I fold.

Here is why I think the turn is a mistake: he bets $225 into $335. Assuming he has a set or two pair (I don't think he ever does this with any other club draw except a combo draw or the NFD, and I hold the A:c: and 5:c: so he only has 4:c:3:c: that raises here), I am approximately a 4.6:1 underdog using PokerStove. Assuming he stacks off 100% of the time when a club hits, I am calling $225 to win $960, which is 4.26:1. So I don't have the right implied odds even if he calls 100% of the time. I should have just folded to the turn bet and I think this was my biggest mistake of the night.

---------------
Next hand is against a Villain who raises almost every time it has limped to his straddle. He is clearly tilted right now and has been losing a lot. He has $237 and I have him covered. Villain is on the button and straddles to $10. I am in the SB with 3:d:3:h: and I limp, planning on limp-reraising his button raise with a lot of dead money in the pot. 3 other callers and Villain predictably raises to $40 OTB. I follow through with my plan and re-raise to $125, folds to Villain who snap shoves his $237 and I call.

Board runs out AKQJ8 with 4 clubs, the worse possible runout imaginable, and he wins with T9 (no club). I realize what I did here was really thin but I thought I had a lot of fold equity with a limp-reraise and even if we did have to run it, I thought he was opening enough that it was a +EV play to get $237 in the middle with just 33 against this spazzy guy.

---------------

Table is getting really nitty so I plan on leaving this orbit. Villain from last hand limps, I look down at KQo and open to $25. One caller OTB and Villain call. Effective stacks are $450.

Flop comes K:c:3:h:3:c:. Villain checks, I bet $50 into $75, Button folds, Villain calls.

Turn comes 4:h:. Villain checks, I bet $115 into $175. Villain calls.

River comes 9:d:. Villain checks, I bet my remaining $260 into $405, he snap calls with K9o and I lose my remaining $450 stack. From huge favorite to nothing.
---------------

I really won no big hands tonight and as a result of this and the hands described above (-$1257 in the hands above), I had a pretty big losing session.

Today's stats
Total buy in: $1500
Cashed out: $0 (zero dollars)
Net profit: -$1500
Hours played: 5.5

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $1007
Hours played: 21
Hourly rate: $47.95/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 31.96 BB/100

2014 Tournaments
ROI: -100%

Overall profit for 2014: $637

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 23, 2014

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

1/26/2014: $2/$5 Cash
Sit down with $800. After winning a few small pots this hand happens:

Villain (young, really good winning player) raises to $25 from the HJ. Button calls. I have A:d:4:d: and decide to just call here (sometimes I 3-bet, but suited aces deep I think play fine multiway if careful). BB calls.

Flop comes 4:c:4:h:3:c:. Checks to villain who bets $55 into $100. BTN calls. I raise to $225. Folds to villain who calls. BTN folds.

Turn comes 3:h:. I bet $275 into $605. Villain jams, I snap call and we run it twice and I win both boards, I should have waited to see what his hand was since he was last aggressor, but I didn't want to slowroll him either after he looked unhappy that I snap called him. I assume he had an overpair and put me on clubs. +$900 that hand.

---------------
I have K:h:Q:h: in the BB after button straddles and I raise to $35. One caller from MP and straddler calls. Flop comes Q:d:J:d:9:d:. I decide to c/c trying to get to showdown (maybe I should just b/f?). I check, MP checks, BTN bets $75 into $105, I call, MP folds.

Turn comes 5:s:. I check, BTN bets $150 into $255. I call.

River comes A:d:. I check, BTN overbet ships $825 into $555. I fold and ask him to show the bluff, he shows K:d:T:h: for the flopped straight, rivered nut flush. He says "I wanted to make it look like a bluff!". No one bluffs off that much at these stakes.

---------------
Later on after going a bit card dead I open ATo to $35 from UTG in a straddled pot from the BTN (this is a fold preflop, but going card dead made this hand look attractive). Good villain from the A:d:4:d: hand calls from UTG+1 (changed seats to my direct left). Drunk Hispanic man calls from the CO. BTN calls.

Flop comes T:c:7:d:4:d:. I bet $85 into $140. Villain calls. Hispanic man shoves for $152. BTN folds. Action is closed to me and villain so we both call.

Turn comes 6x. I bet $190 into about $500. Villain calls.

River comes 5x. I check, Villain checks and shows QQ. Hispanic man had A:d:T:d: so I was way behind at all points.

As played, is the turn a check?

---------------
New villain to my right has been opening a lot of pots for $15. He opens to $15 from the HJ, I 3-bet to $45 with KJo from the CO. He calls. Flop comes 9:h:6:s:6:h:. He checks, I bet $55 into $90. He calls.

Turn comes Kx. He checks, I bet $95 into $200 (way too small of a bet). He calls $95.

River comes 3x. He checks, I bet $140 into $390 (WAY WAY too small of a bet, even if his range is really weak on this board I still need him to bet more). He does call with what he claims is 88 and I win.

---------------
These two hands here

---------------
I started getting tired and making small mistakes so I left up about $200. After the first big hand I won I just couldn't make any more big hands, which is the name of the game in live poker I think. But I also misplayed a few hands (specifically the ATo hand and the bet sizing in the KJo hand). Not really happy with my session.

Today's stats
Total buy in: $1000
Cashed out: $1198
Net profit: $198

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $1205
Hours played: 26.5
Hourly rate: $45.47/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 30.31 BB/100

2014 Tournaments

Overall profit for 2014: $835

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

1/27/2014: $2/$5 Cash
Sit down with $800. I chip up to about $1100. And then the splash the pot promo hits our table. $200 is added to the pot preflop to our table for one hand.

I forget to straddle to be last to act. But no matter, because I look down at AA at the absolute best time to have AA. Button straddles, 2 limpers to me and I raise to $150 into $230. Good young villain from yesterday re-raises to $425. I shove for $1100 and he sigh-calls with TT (he has me covered). We decide to run it twice.

He hits a T on the first board, and we chop the pot for the most disappointing $115 or so I have won in a while.

---------------
And then literally no hands of significance happen for the next 5 hours. I won just a few small pots, and lost even fewer. No big hands to speak of, no interesting spots, nothing. I did finish up about $300 which is nice considering the amount of boredom I went through. Honestly it was a really good session, I was able to stay disciplined and not get tilted.

Today's stats
Total buy in: $800
Cashed out: $1096
Net profit: $296

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $1501
Hours played: 32.5
Hourly rate: $46.18/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 30.79 BB/100

2014 Tournaments

Overall profit for 2014: $1131

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

1/29/2014: $2/$5 Cash
I decided to buy in full for $1000 today because the game is really deep with some bad regulars and there has been a lot of straddling. Important hands below:

Hand 1
One limper to me, I have K:h:J:h: and raise to $25 in MP. Villain calls, loose passive player in the SB calls. Villain from this hand is the same villain from Hand 1 here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2308087&pagenumber=207#post425002797. Effective stacks are about $900.

Flop is a jackpot: T:h:8:h:2:h:. SB checks, I bet $55 into $75, Villain raises to $200 and I start salivating, no need to slow play here because even though I am playing tighter recently I still have a loose image because I'm young and I sometimes bluff. I raise to $525. He goes all in, I snap call. We run it twice and I win both boards, he had QQ with no :h:. Pretty decent start to my session.

Hand 2
I am in the SB and the pot is straddled by the BTN. I look down at Q:d:J:d: and raise to $45. 3 callers.

Flop comes J:s:6:h:2:h:. I bet $130 into $180 and get two callers, including an old man who always chases draws.

Turn is the 7:h:. The flush now got there, and I don't think I am going to get any better hand to fold (KJ, AJ, sets, etc.), so I decide to check. Old man bets $125 into $570. The other player calls. I decide to fold even with the odds I'm getting because I think one of them has to have a better J or a flush. The hand went to showdown and the old man had the nut flush and the other guy had K:h:Jx, so I was drawing pretty slim the whole time.

Maybe I should have just folded preflop from the SB? I think opening it in MP or LP is fine, but SB could just be a fold. Thoughts welcome here.

Hand 3
Button straddles again (he has only $264 behind). I raise J:h:T:h: to $35 from MP, only BTN calls (a bad loose aggressive villain who plays draws aggressively, even gutters with no overcards, and who bluffs way too often and gets called a lot).

Flop comes 9:h:9:d:7:h:. I bet $45 into $70. Villain goes all in for his remaining $229. Usually this short a gutshot straight flush draw is good enough to go for it always, but he has so many flush draws in his range that crush me, so I thought about it for about 30 seconds and eventually decide to call. He actually has Q9o for trips, and the board runs out Q then K, his full house better than my straight.

I wanted to analyze this hand a little more when I got home, so here are my thoughts:
Preflop this villain is calling at least 75% of suited hands, and probably most connecting cards or one gappers. This straight draws and flush draws as a large part of his range. I also think being this short he might just go with it if he had a 7 as well, putting me on two overcards. Constructing a reasonable range for this unreasonable opponent, I calculated my equity was about 45% (I was guessing I would be closer to 40%), which makes a call justified on his shove since I only needed to call $184 to win $344, or about 35% equity.

Hand 4
It was a long time between hands 3 and 4 and I had gone a little card dead, so I think my image was tighter at this point. Button straddles. SB calls $10. Villain in BB calls $10. I'm UTG and raise to $55 with Q:h:Q:d:. One caller in MP, Villain calls.

Villain is a tight somewhat passive player, I don't remember him ever bluffing anything more than a few c-bets. He rarely opens a pot without a premium holding.

Flop comes 6:s:5:s:2:c:. Villain checks, I bet $110 into about $180, MP folds, Villain goes all in for about $330. I think for a bit and decide that while he could have me beat with sets or slowplayed AA or KK, he also has plenty of overpairs that I beat as well flush draws in his range. I decide to call and he has JJ and I win the pot. JJ makes sense for this player, but I'm a little surprised that he didn't just open with a raise himself.

Hand 5
This hand is against Primo from the 1/15 session, a guy who is determined to give away all of his chips. Effective stacks are $800.

I open A:h:T:h: to $20 from MP. Caller in the CO, Primo calls from the SB, BB also calls.

Flop comes Q:d:T:d:T:c:. BB checks, I bet $60 into $80. HJ folds, Primo calls $60. BB folds.

Turn comes 8:c:. Primo leads for $175, I go all in for Primo's remaining ~$550. He asks if I would run it twice and I respond that I always do, he calls and actually has a decent hand for once: JTo.

First river is a blank, second river is a Q so I end up winning 3/4 of the pot since we chopped the second board. I was disappointed at first that I didn't scoop, but I looked it up afterwards and found out I had 77% equity in the pot and I won 75% of the pot, so it's a pretty fair result.
---------------

I was a pretty big winner tonight and then every pot ended up being double or triple straddled. I decided I was getting tired and didn't feel like playing high variance poker against the straddles so I decided to rack up. I thought I had a pretty nice session and can't remember any big mistakes I made.

Today's stats
Cashed out: $2340
Net profit: $1340
Hours played: 6

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $2841
Hours played: 38.5
Hourly rate: $73.79/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 49.19 BB/100

2014 Tournaments

Overall profit for 2014: $2471

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Mind_Taker posted:

Hand 2
I am in the SB and the pot is straddled by the BTN. I look down at Q:d:J:d: and raise to $45. 3 callers.

I don't think I have a raising range out of the SB in a BTN-straddled pot. I guess I do depending on stack sizes and 3bet frequency but in general I don't think raising accomplishes much here. Of course, this game also sounds ridiculously good. Florida, right?

I doubt I find a fold with QJs here, you're playing against ridiculous people who get 200 beebs in with QQ no heart on Txx 3-hearts. So I just limp like I would my entire SB range. Good job making a disciplined, exploitive turn fold.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Unamuno posted:

I don't think I have a raising range out of the SB in a BTN-straddled pot. I guess I do depending on stack sizes and 3bet frequency but in general I don't think raising accomplishes much here. Of course, this game also sounds ridiculously good. Florida, right?

I doubt I find a fold with QJs here, you're playing against ridiculous people who get 200 beebs in with QQ no heart on Txx 3-hearts. So I just limp like I would my entire SB range. Good job making a disciplined, exploitive turn fold.

Can you go into more detail here? If you have AA in the SB do you limp/reraise (maybe turning our hand face up, but the SPR would be pretty low at this point)? What about the BB? I'd say a decent percentage of the time the pot is unopened preflop (say like 1/3 of the time) when there is a straddle out there, stack sizes are mostly around $700+, with some short stackers. Do you take that chance of a big multiway limped pot and just proceed cautiously if that happens, or would you raise with premium holdings?

I agree QJs is probably not a raise from the SB and that it was a mistake. And yes the turn fold is certainly exploitative against good players, but it was an old man betting and a caller between us so I figured I was toast.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 30, 2014

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Mind_Taker posted:

I agree QJs is probably not a raise from the SB and that it was a mistake. And yes the turn fold is certainly exploitative against good players, but it was an old man betting and a caller between us so I figured I was toast.

Right, you're exploiting their overly strong ranges by folding drawing dead. Sometimes I'll convince myself to call in these spots due to pot odds/being near the top of my range, but i should really be more focused on how i'm probably drawing stone dead against their nutted ranges.

I don't think LRR from up front turns your hand face-up as AA. If you're limping your entire range, you should have plenty of other stuff you're willing to LRR depending on stack sizes, who raised, etc. If my limp is getting raised 66% of the time, i'm ok with playing cautiously in a limped pot the 33% of the time i don't get to put in heaps pre with the nuts.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably try the LRR next time the situation arises.

Now for the graph I promised. These are my live poker winnings since I started tracking:

For the first ~400 hours (9/2010 to 12/2011) I played $1/$2 NLHE and I was pretty much a breakeven player. Part of it has to do with the rake structure in Florida (most pots are raked $7, $5 for the rake if the pot is $50 or more, $2 for the jackpot drop). In a $1/$2 game, this is a very large portion of each pot so it's hard to have a decent winrate.

Then in 2012 I decided to take a shot at $2/$5 NLHE and I never looked back. 2012 was a really good year (hours ~400 to 680). I had a few huge PLO sessions against mega whales which have unfortunately disappeared. The huge jump at around 500 hours is a $7,250 profit session in a $2/$5 PLO game.

2013 (hours 680 to ~1100) was not nearly as good, partially due to not putting in enough review, partially due to a downswing I went through in July and August of 2013, and partially due to some of the whales not playing as much as they did in 2013. But I still made about $13k which was nice.

2014 is off to a good start and I hope this log will help my winrate increase even more. Like I said earlier, I want to cut out the simple mistakes that I was prone to making and I feel like if I keep posting significant hands here and get feedback/shame where necessary I will do this. I never plan on making poker a living, but I really want to eke out as much extra money as I can while I'm young.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

2/4/2014: $2/$5 Cash
Hand 1
I played some $1/$2 for about 30 minutes before a $2/$5 seat opened up. Effective stacks are ~$135. I raise JJ UTG to $10, guy to my left calls, SB raises to $25. I call, guy to my left calls.

Flop comes 864:c::c:. SB checks, I bet $50 into $75, guy to my left goes all in for about $110, SB folds, I call figuring I am ahead most of the time, but he has 57o and flopped the straight.

Hand 2
My $2/$5 seat became available and almost immediately I did a thing. Villain in this hand is a stationy old man with an unlit cigar in his mouth.

Effective stacks are about $450 with Villain, $800 with UTG+1. I have AA UTG and raise to $20. 3 callers (both blinds fold). Flop comes T32 with one :h:. I check, opting to go for a check/raise. UTG+1 bets $50, Villain calls, I accidentally raise to $105 (I meant to raise to $205 but only grabbed 4 green chips like an idiot). UTG+1 calls, Villain calls.

Turn is 7:h:. I bet $185 into $395. UTG+1 folds, Villain calls.

River is 5x. I shove for Villain's last $100 and he snap calls but I end up winning the pot.

Better to be lucky than good, because man did I gently caress up this hand.

Hand 3
After a weak UTG player limps, I raise A:d:7:d: to $25. 3 callers, including Villain who is a spewy aggrotard from the BB.

Flop comes 9:d:6:s:3:d:. Villain checks, I bet $65 into $100, 1 fold, BTN calls $65, Villain ships for $173. I make the call, knowing in most cases I am going to see a turn and river for free if BTN calls too, but BTN folds.

I river an A and win the hand.

Hand 4
Not much to mention here, but I wanted to add that I raised T:c:8:c: UTG immediately following this hand and I thought it was probably too loose for this table. I need to stay better focused and fold this hand in EP.

Hand 5
I was able to get AIPF with KK against spewtard Villain from Hand 3. He had AQs and I won about $300.

Hand 6
I raise T:s:9:s: from MP to $20 and get 4 callers, including Villain who is a guy I hadn't really played with before who is feminine sounding (not making fun of him, just a way for me to remember who he is).

Flop comes Q:d:J:d:8:d:. Checks to me and I bet $55 into $100 (too small of a bet to be sure), folds to Villain who raises to $130. Effective stacks are about $600. I decide to call and re-evaluate turn, there are a lot of A:d:Q, A:d:J, K:d:Q, K:d:T hands that do this that I beat.

Turn is 2x. I check, he checks.

River is 7:d:. He bets $150 and I fold. lovely river card, I would have probably called on a blank river depending on bet size.

Hand 7
Then I lost most of my winnings for the night on this hand.

UTG station raises to $25 from UTG which usually indicates strength, Villain (cigar man from hand 2 sitting with $961, I have him covered) calls $25. Feminine man calls $25. I have A:d:A:h: in the BB and raise to $130. UTG calls, Villain calls, Feminine man folds.

Flop comes 8:h:5:d:4:d:. I bet $250 into $390. UTG folds. Villain snap goes all in for $831. The pot is now $1471 and I have to call $581. While I think this player is more passive than anything, he could have big diamond draws, pair+diamond draws, overpairs like JJ-KK. Overall I think this is a pretty easy call but I don't like it too much. After about 30 seconds I call, he flips over 88 and I lose almost $1000 that hand after we run it twice and I miss on both boards.

That hand bothered me a bit at the time because I just didn't know how he could ever have worse, but after thinking for a bit and stoving it, he certainly could have JJ+ and be scared of the drawy board, he could have some big diamond draws like K:d:Q:d: (I have the A:d:). I feel like I'm behind most of the time but not enough to make it a fold needing 2.5:1 on a call.
---------------

I decide to rack up as a slight winner after that last hand, I didn't think I could play my A game any more as it was getting late.

I am heading to West Palm Beach on Friday for the WSOPc events, I'll update when I can.

Today's stats
Cashed out: $1074
Net profit: $74

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $2915
Hours played: 44.5
Hourly rate: $65.61/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 43.67 BB/100

2014 Tournaments

Overall profit for 2014: $2545

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
I am lonely and spend most of my time on 4Chan talking about the superiority of BBC porn.
i think hand 7 is a punt. he call/called pre he has 2p+ like 85% of the time when he rips it and if he has a draw its 67 of diamonds. hes an old man he doesnt know what equity is.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

You don't think he has overpairs here enough? I need ~28% equity to make a call profitable.

If it matters, my image has been loose aggressive.

edit: if his range is {88,55-44,76s,54s} I have 16% equity. If I include QQ+, I now have 48%. KK+ I have 37%.

I'm not 100% it's a call here, but it's at least close right?

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 5, 2014

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
I am lonely and spend most of my time on 4Chan talking about the superiority of BBC porn.
how does he have KK+ ever after call/calling 200bb deep

no it isnt close

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a passive old man is probably not likely to ship draws. passive old men around me 99% of the time do nothing but make fun of people who "overplay draws" and they always just call or fold with them. maybe people around you are different though.

i think he can show up with overpairs, but i certainly wouldn't include every combo if you're trying to calculate actual percentages

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Blinky2099 posted:

a passive old man is probably not likely to ship draws. passive old men around me 99% of the time do nothing but make fun of people who "overplay draws" and they always just call or fold with them. maybe people around you are different though.

i think he can show up with overpairs, but i certainly wouldn't include every combo if you're trying to calculate actual percentages

That's why I only included QQ+ or KK+, instead of including 99+. I also included 0 draws when stoving his range (88, 44-55, 67s, 45s, KK+). If you don't think his range includes any overpairs then yes this is a huge mistake to call. But if his range ever includes one single overpair (QQ for instance), it's a mistake to fold:

code:
Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

21,780 games     0.000 secs  4,356,000 games/sec

Board: 5d 4d 8s
Dead:  

equity 	win 	tie 	      pots won 	pots tied	
Hand 0: 	36.423%  	35.73% 	00.69% 	          7782 	      151.00   { AdAh }
Hand 1: 	63.577%  	62.88% 	00.69% 	         13696 	      151.00   { QQ, 88, 55-44, 76s, 54s }
And of course the more overpairs in his range the better my equity is.

To be clear this isn't some old nit who waits to crack young whippersnappers when they get out of line, he's mostly just loose passive but that doesn't mean he won't overvalue his overpairs or that he won't "put me on AK".

Perhaps I need to adjust my read on this guy in particular given the results and maybe next time this happens this is a fold, but I'm not yet willing to admit it was a massive error in judgment at the time.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I played the $580 $1 million guarantee today at the WSOPc in Palm Beach but unfortunately didn't advance to Day 2.

I'll post the significant hands when I get home next week. I am planning on firing one more bullet tomorrow in the $1M guarantee and then playing some of the other events next week. Unfortunately I can't play the main event next weekend though.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Managed to run KK into AA when I opened in EP for close to a minraise, got 2 callers on the CO and BTN, older man BB puts in a big 3bet, I ship for like 50 BBs and he snaps. Really lovely feeling because he was the only one at the table that had me covered.

And then I decided to enter the HORSE tourney because my friend convinced me to. Ended up busting in O8 when I had AAT3dd on a A46Jddd turn. How the hell does that even happen. It was a huge pot too that was capped on flop and turn (I had one big bet left on the river). Of course he has 5443 and binks the 4 on the river.

I'm going to play the $365 in just a bit.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Well I cashed the 6-max but it was a really disappointing ending. I had 90k at 500/1500/3000 and got in AA against QJhh preflop after he 4-bet shoved my BTN 3-bet.

Flop is a terrible KT7hh. Turn bricked but the river was a 9. Pretty lovely trip overall but it was fun. Heading home tomorrow morning.

I probably won't feel like transcribing all of my hands but overall I was -$2553 in tournaments (3 bullets into the $580, $365 HORSE, 2 $365 full ring, and the $365 6-max) and only cashed the 6-max in 28th place for $647.

In cash I played 10 hrs 15 mins and finished up $722.

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $3637
Hours played: 54.75
Hourly rate: $66.43/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 44.29 BB/100

2014 Tournaments
Total buy in amount: $3570
Total profit: -$2923
Tournaments played: 8
ROI: -81.9%

Overall profit for 2014: $714

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 12, 2014

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

2/15/2014: $2/$5 Cash
Everything about my session on Saturday was lovely. I didn't lose a ton of money, but the game was terrible (comprised of mostly older nits and 2 competent players), I was still exhausted from the night before, and I was a little bit under the weather. Oh and I was an absolute retard at poker.

The game got so bad that the good players actually devolved into stacking chips in weird ways instead of concentrating on playing the game. I'll admit that I started building stupid pyramids and poo poo with my chips instead of doing what I should have done: left the table.

The reason I didn't leave is because the card room isn't particularly close to where I live, it's about 45 minutes away. I decided that I would rather not waste 1.5 hours of time and gas money, but instead I would rather waste much more by playing this lovely game. It's a definite leak of mine and I need to get better at just leaving when the game is not any good.

Anyways, onto the hands:

Hand 1
Competent player named Detroit Brian raises from EP to $20. Villain, who is a loose but relatively passive younger player named Clay calls from MP, another guy calls. I call with KQo (no heart) in the SB. 3-betting here makes more sense IMO, but I just didn't do it, do you agree? I think flatting here was a mistake and a 3-bet to like $100 or so would have been okay. Stacks were $800+ deep. Detroit Brian is really loose with his raises but he folds to re-raises with a lot of his opening range.

Flop comes KQ8:h::h:. I decide to lead for $75 into $80, pretty much a pot sized lead. I debated afterwards whether I should lead or c/r. c/r would be good if the table was aggressive, but other than Detroit Brian the opponents were passive and would likely check unless they had a K or better. So I decided to lead big and charge draws and worse made hands. Only Clay calls.

Turn is Ax. I bet $135 into $230. He calls. Could have bet a bit bigger here. The A improved his NFDs to top pair now, but it also improved AQ and AK to hands that beat me now, and it also completes the straight for JT. What would you do on this card?

River is the 2:h:, which completes the flush. So the straight got there and so did the flush. I check, he bets $100 into $500. I beat nothing now. Flushes got there, most single pair hands like aces check, I don't think he is capable of turning QJ or anything like that into a bluff. I can't call this, can I?

Well I do. And he actually has 88 for a flopped set that could have gotten a lot more if he raised the flop. What a waste of $100 when I am never good here.

Hand 2
I'm embarrassed to even post this one. 4 limpers to me in the CO. I limp KxT:c: (that's right). Limps to Detroit Brian who raises to $10. Everyone calls the extra $5.

Flop comes KJ7:c::c:. Brian bets $20 into $50. I call $20, everyone else folds. I guess this is okay but what a lovely spot to be in due to preflop retardedness.

Turn comes 9x. He bets $40 into $90. I call again with TP and a double gutter.

River is 5x. He bets $60 into $170 and I call. He has 77 for a flopped set. His weird minraise preflop makes sense now, it's something I'll do.

But wow this is why you don't play KTo like this. Another $130 down the drain.

Hand 3
After an EP limper I raise to $25 with A:d:2:d:. Detroit Brian calls on the button, the limper calls. Effective stacks with Brian are like $800.

Flop comes Qx5:d:6:d:. Limper checks, I bet $50 into $75. Brian calls, limper folds.

Turn comes Q:d:. I bet $75 into $175, trying to represent weakness or some sort of blocking bet. I get my wish and he raises to $210. He is a very aggressive player and could have complete air here if he decided to float the flop. Does it make more sense to just call here and c/r AI on most non-diamond rivers (except a Q, 5, or 6) or donk-bet on a diamond river? Either way, I just 3-bet ship for ~$500 more. He tanks and eventually folds. He probably didn't have much but I feel like I left a ton of money on the table by jamming over his turn raise. How did I screw up this hand PITRers?
---------------

I finally decide to rack up after a really bad session. I'm planning on playing again tomorrow and I plan on playing much better.

Today's stats
Total buy in: $1400
Cashed out: $1012
Net profit: -$388
Hours played: 4.75

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $3249
Hours played: 59.5
Hourly rate: $54.61/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 36.40 BB/100

2014 Tournaments

Overall profit for 2014: $326

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

The reason I didn't leave is because the card room isn't particularly close to where I live, it's about 45 minutes away. I decided that I would rather not waste 1.5 hours of time and gas money, but instead I would rather waste much more by playing this lovely game. It's a definite leak of mine and I need to get better at just leaving when the game is not any good.

Yeah, that's an easy trap to fall for. Just remember that when you go to the casino, your entire trip there and back is a sunk cost.

Mind_Taker posted:

I was still exhausted from the night before, and I was a little bit under the weather. Oh and I was an absolute retard at poker.

Those things are all closely related! When you're tired and sick and stuff like that your winrate suffers a lot. You have to ask yourself if it's even worth your time when your expectation might be a third of what it normally is. Especially when you spend an hour and a half just traveling.

Hand 1 I too like a 3b preflop given your reads. On the flop your logic is contradictory. You decide to bet rather than c/r because you don't think anyone else is going to bet without Kx and then you bet pot which makes it hard for someone to call without Kx (your games are a lot juicier than mine I take it but do you expect people to call a PSB with Qx or JT here?) I'd rather bet $60 to get called by those weak hands.

Turn is a really crap card for you as the only thing it helps you get value from is A:h:x:h: which there aren't a whole lot of combos of (and JT gets there), and it's a scare card for most of the range you are trying to get value from. I'm not even sure betting is correct, if he has weak Kx or Qx he might just fold OTT where you might be able to get him to call a small bet on the river (live players are showdown monkeys!) What do you suppose Clay's range is at this point? But a small bet is definitely better than a large one.

River is pretty gross and I think you could be right that it's a fold. Villain's sizing says "I have something good enough to bet but it's nowhere near the nuts" and it's hard to imagine him having a hand he can wuss-valuebet worse than KQ. Maybe K8/Q8? If so then it's a call, otherwise yeah you beat nothing.

Hand 2 yup, just raise pre. But as played you could even 3b over his pot-sweetener raise out of the blinds, assuming there isn't a smart player who realizes limp/3bing in late position is weak in between you and him.

Also what gives, you said Detroit Brian was competent.

Hand 3 again your thoughts are contradictory. You bet small because you think it could induce a bluff with air, and then when he raises you decide to shove because???? If you think he can actually bluff in this spot then call turn and let him bluff river. Against most people with those stacks I would just bet normal/shove for value from qx/flushes.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Crovie posted:

Yeah, that's an easy trap to fall for. Just remember that when you go to the casino, your entire trip there and back is a sunk cost.

Those things are all closely related! When you're tired and sick and stuff like that your winrate suffers a lot. You have to ask yourself if it's even worth your time when your expectation might be a third of what it normally is. Especially when you spend an hour and a half just traveling.

Hand 1 I too like a 3b preflop given your reads. On the flop your logic is contradictory. You decide to bet rather than c/r because you don't think anyone else is going to bet without Kx and then you bet pot which makes it hard for someone to call without Kx (your games are a lot juicier than mine I take it but do you expect people to call a PSB with Qx or JT here?) I'd rather bet $60 to get called by those weak hands.

Turn is a really crap card for you as the only thing it helps you get value from is A:h:x:h: which there aren't a whole lot of combos of (and JT gets there), and it's a scare card for most of the range you are trying to get value from. I'm not even sure betting is correct, if he has weak Kx or Qx he might just fold OTT where you might be able to get him to call a small bet on the river (live players are showdown monkeys!) What do you suppose Clay's range is at this point? But a small bet is definitely better than a large one.

River is pretty gross and I think you could be right that it's a fold. Villain's sizing says "I have something good enough to bet but it's nowhere near the nuts" and it's hard to imagine him having a hand he can wuss-valuebet worse than KQ. Maybe K8/Q8? If so then it's a call, otherwise yeah you beat nothing.

Hand 2 yup, just raise pre. But as played you could even 3b over his pot-sweetener raise out of the blinds, assuming there isn't a smart player who realizes limp/3bing in late position is weak in between you and him.

Also what gives, you said Detroit Brian was competent.

Hand 3 again your thoughts are contradictory. You bet small because you think it could induce a bluff with air, and then when he raises you decide to shove because???? If you think he can actually bluff in this spot then call turn and let him bluff river. Against most people with those stacks I would just bet normal/shove for value from qx/flushes.

Good points. I realize all of this now I just played like a retard in the moment.

I actually still think leading is fine in Hand 1 because yes I expect all flush and straight draws to call, even like AT and AJ I expect calls a lot but would check behind otherwise.

I think Clays range after my flop bet is Kx, AQ maybe QJ, AJ and AT sometimes, all flush draws weighted toward A high flush draws, 88 I thought he would raise OTF and QQ+ preflop. AK he probably just calls pre. A lot of this range improves on the A turn to a second best hand, some improves to a better hand than mine. I agree it's close between betting and checking.

There was a really weird dynamic at the table. I still think Brian is a decent player and I actually don't mind a minraise with small pocket pairs to basically double the size of the pot to help stacks get in if he successfully drills a set, but by only putting in 5 extra dollars. I do this sometimes but usually only when the table is really weak.

Like I said it was my worst session in a long time and I'm glad I didn't lose nearly as much as I could have. I'll have a lot more focus next time I play.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 18, 2014

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

2/18/2014: $2/$5 Cash
I came in win a lot more focus after my really bad session on Saturday. Overall the results were okay but I felt and played much better.

Hand 1
Simple hand but felt like posting it as a contrast to last session. Villain in this hand raises preflop widely and doesn't usually show too much aggression other than cbets. One super loose limper in EP, Villain raises to $25 in the HJ, I have QJo OTB and decide to 3-bet to $85 trying to get heads up, limper cold calls, Villain calls.

Flop comes 5:c:5:d:4:c:. Checks to me, I bet $145 into $255 and they fold. So instead of calling the preflop raise and losing $25 and end up making ~$170.

Hand 2
Effective stacks are $1000ish.

Button straddle and I have AKo (no spade) in the BB. I decide to go for a limp/reraise as mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. I limp. Villain is Clay from the last session, he raises to $35. 2 callers including super loose guy from Hand 1. I raise to $150 (actually could have made it more but I thought this would get it heads up). Clay and loose guy both call so there is like $500 in the pot preflop. I was really surprised to see Clay call, he usually doesn't stick around after getting 3-bet unless he has a big hand. So I put him on something like AQ+, 99+, KQs, AJs+.

Flop comes 9:s:8:s:3:d:. I check as this is a pretty bad flop for my hand and I don't have much fold equity, Clay bets $300, loose guy calls and I fold. They got it all in on a blank turn and Clay had JJ, other guy had T9s.

Hand 3
Effective stacks are $1000ish again.

Villain is a young nerdy aggressive kid named Sam who just sat down to my left a few orbits ago. Probably the best competition at the table, but I couldn't get a seat change yet as the table was full. 3-bets pre to isolate a lot, raises aggressively postflop. After two limpers I raise T:c:9:c: to $30. Sam calls, both limpers call.

Flop is gold: 678r. Checks to me and I bet $65 into $120. Probably too small for this type of connected board, but I wanted to induce a raise from Sam which I get. Sam raises to $160. I decide to just call and then CRAI almost every turn card. I think 3-betting this flop only gets calls from sets, maybe top two pair, and straights, and drives out hands I want in there like 98, 97, etc. Sets will probably bet most safe turn cards, as will two-pairs and straights. Is this an okay plan?

Turn is Ax, completing the rainbow. I check, and he checks back. At this point I think he has air or something like a pair+SD.

River is a 6. While I think air may try to bluff river, I think he knows he isn't repping much on that river card and might just give up. If he has a hand like 98, 97, 99, he's probably just trying to get to showdown at this point. So with that in mind I decide to bet, and I think I bet too big. I bet $250 into $440. I actually would have like to have seen myself bet like $150-$200 here because I am absolutely crushing his range here and I don't see him calling too often. He folds and I win.

Hand 4
Effective stacks $434.

After one limper in EP I have T:d:9:d: and raise to $25. Only limper calls.

Flop comes J:s:7:s:5:c:. He checks, I cbet $35 into $50, he calls.

Turn is the beautiful 8:c:. I bet $90 into $120. He calls.

River is 8:d:. He open ships for $284 into $300 and I call. He has 55 for a rivered FH and I lose. Pretty standard cooler but it sucks because it was on my last orbit of the night.
---------------

I felt I played pretty well tonight and was up a decent amount until Hand 4. Still ended up with a winning session.

Today's stats
Cashed out: $1275
Net profit: $275
Hours played: 5.75

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $3524
Hours played: 65.25
Hourly rate: $54.01/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 36.01 BB/100

2014 Tournaments

Overall profit for 2014: $601

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

2/25/2014: $2/$5 Cash
I haven't had a chance to update this since I was really busy this past week with my brother's wedding. I played a session last Tuesday and the results were not good.

Hand 1
Villain in this hand is a maniac called Pikachu Graham and will call any two preflop and raise almost any two when he straddles. Earlier I called a big PF UTG raise in a straddled pot with 73o.

He straddles from the BTN and I am in the SB with A:s:9:s:. I complete to $10 hoping to l/rr to isolate BTN, or fold if there is a ton of aggression before him. Two other limpers to him and he min-raises to $20. I raise to $75, folds to villain who calls. Villain is ~$200 effective.

Flop comes 8:s:5:s:4x. There's $170 in the pot and I shove for villains remaining ~$125 and he calls with A8 and his hand holds.

Hand 2
Effective stacks are $1000.

Villain's name is Peter and is a loose preflop Asian player who is willing to triple barrel heads up pots postflop even if a triple barrel makes no sense. He will also raise post-flop a lot, mostly with air and draws, tends to slowplay some bigger hands.

Again it's a straddled pot and I am in the BB with A:c:Q:c:. I again decide to l/rr against looser players at the table, and maybe l/c against a tighter raiser. I limp, Villain raises to $35, folds to me, I re-raise to $100. He calls.

Flop comes T:d:7:c:4:d:. I check/call Villain's $70 bet into $200. I was planning c/cing flop and most turn cards, and then deciding on river. Probably should have just c-bet flop but I figured I would let him try to bluff.

Turn comes 7:d:. I check/call his $140 bet into $340.

River is 8:h:. I check/call his $215 bet into $580. He shows K:d:6:d: and I lose.

Again most players I'd probably just c-bet flop and proceed from there, but against Peter I wanted to keep his bluffs in his range and keep the pot as small as possible post-flop. Is this line okay?

Hand 3
Same Villain as Hand 2. I raise A:d:A:h: to $20 UTG and get two callers, Villain from the CO and BB who calls super wide.

Flop comes J:d:J:s:9:d:. BB checks, I decide again to check and let Peter bluff at it, he bets $40 into $60 and BB folds, I call.

Turn is a 6:d:. I check, he bets $80 into $140, I call $80.

River is a blank. I check, he bets $170 into $300, I call. He has Q:d:4:d: and I lose to another flush.

Hand 4
Villain is drunk and playing ATC, $400 effective. I am in the BB with AQo. Villain raises to $20 in EP. 3 callers. I raise to $135. Villain calls, everyone else folds.

Flop comes J92r. I check, he goes all in for his remaining ~$265 into $330. I decide eventually to call because I think he has enough air in his range and if he has me beat, I think my A or Q are clean outs sometimes. He has K9o and I miss the turn and river.

---------------

Honestly I'm not sure how I played. I couldn't pick up any big hands and didn't win a single large pot all night. Better luck next time?

Today's stats
Total buy in: $2100
Cashed out: $974
Net profit: -$1126
Hours played: 7.5

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $2398
Hours played: 72.75
Hourly rate: $32.96/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 21.97 BB/100

2014 Tournaments

Overall profit for 2014: -$525

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 3, 2014

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

h1 is standard, nh whatever

h2... I mean, I don't think calling down vs that villain on that board is bad but "I'm going to call and make up my mind on the river" is a bad way to think. You should have some idea what you are going to do on future streets -- which turns/river cards & action am I folding to. A really important read in this spot is how thin villain will valuebet (shockingly most really bluffy players don't valuebet any more than the average live idiot) - if you know he never bets worse than TP for value for instance and turn is a K then it's a really easy call down. Another important read is his sizing -- does he bet 1/3 pot on turn and river with bluffs? If it was an unknown I would say probably not.

Your flop logic is absolutely correct though -- cbetting just folds his bluffs and you want him to bluff at you. You just need to know how to exploit his bluffing by having some idea of his range and tendencies.

h3 I would definitely lead the flop against this villain -- you say he's loose, he will raise as a bluff but likes to slowplay? I'm having trouble articulating why I prefer leading out but just going into a bluffcatch shell against this guy every hand is probably not good. You can bet, you can get value from his draws, he probably raises his draws, you can get value from 9x/pairs since he's calling pre with everything, he might even call flop with like two overs and a diamond if he's that loose... Unless he is bluffing 100% of the time he is checked to you are probably missing value not betting.

as played you have a bluffcatcher, if he really does triple barrel bluff that often then calling is fine

h4 is fine if he's ever bluffing (he probably is)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

fisting by many posted:

h2... I mean, I don't think calling down vs that villain on that board is bad but "I'm going to call and make up my mind on the river" is a bad way to think. You should have some idea what you are going to do on future streets -- which turns/river cards & action am I folding to. A really important read in this spot is how thin villain will valuebet (shockingly most really bluffy players don't valuebet any more than the average live idiot) - if you know he never bets worse than TP for value for instance and turn is a K then it's a really easy call down. Another important read is his sizing -- does he bet 1/3 pot on turn and river with bluffs? If it was an unknown I would say probably not.

Your flop logic is absolutely correct though -- cbetting just folds his bluffs and you want him to bluff at you. You just need to know how to exploit his bluffing by having some idea of his range and tendencies.

My thinking was "I am going to call and make up my mind on the river based on his bet-sizing, board runout, etc.). I wasn't just going to call down and then flip a coin on the river. And you have a good point on how thin he valuebets being an important read. I don't think he is valuebetting an 8 here, I think he is valuebetting like QT and better on this board? I actually didn't like the 8 on the river as it completed J9 and 96, and improved 98 to a pair. I don't think he'd bet 98 here but he'd for sure bet his straights. I think he folds 96o pre but I think he's capable of opening 96s, J9o, and 98o sometimes, and will call my reraise a good percentage of the time.

His bet sizing typically is too small so I don't know if his sizing is weakness or strength, it's just what he normally bets.

Edit: after reviewing his sizing in Hand 3 as well, he might just bet a smaller percentage of the pot if the pot is larger, a lot of people do this. Hands 2 and 3 are similar for him (bet flush draw on flop, hit flush on paired board on turn), so I can't really discern his bet sizing other than the size of the pot affecting it?

quote:

h3 I would definitely lead the flop against this villain -- you say he's loose, he will raise as a bluff but likes to slowplay? I'm having trouble articulating why I prefer leading out but just going into a bluffcatch shell against this guy every hand is probably not good. You can bet, you can get value from his draws, he probably raises his draws, you can get value from 9x/pairs since he's calling pre with everything, he might even call flop with like two overs and a diamond if he's that loose... Unless he is bluffing 100% of the time he is checked to you are probably missing value not betting.

Against most players heads up I am betting this flop for sure, but I don't feel like I need to here because while most player's calling ranges have some sort of pair or draw on this board, his doesn't necessarily. Also I have the A:d: so it removes some of his flush draws.

That being said, it is a 3-way pot and I think a bet is better here and this is a mistake to check, even if I get his A7o to fold.

Thanks for the comments.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

3/5/2014: $2/$5 Cash

Hand 1
Only hand of note and it was a doozy. I have about $1500 after buying in for $1400 total so far. Table is straddling most pots and double straddling a lot too, which is why I bought it for a full $1000 and kept making sure I had a full stack.

Straddled pot. SB is somewhat aggressive and loose, don't have much of a read otherwise. BB is new to the table and I have never played with him. SB covers me, BB has around $1000.

BTN straddles to $10. SB and BB call $10. Folds to me in the CO and I raise to $50 with J:h:9:h:. SB calls, BB calls.

Flop comes J:s:T:c:4:h:. SB checks, BB checks, I bet $100 into $150, both players call.

Turn is A:h:. SB checks, BB bets $125 into $350. I call $125, SB calls $125.

River is the beautiful K:h:. SB leads $300 into $725. BB calls $300. I shove my remaining $1225. SB tanks then calls, BB also tanks then calls.

I think I'm raking in a monster ~$4000 pot after I table my second nuts, but then to my shock SB tables Q:h:7:h:.

What a loving cooler. I decided to leave because there was no way I was going to be able to stay focused after that hand.

Today's stats
Total buy in: $1400
Cashed out: $0
Net profit: -$1400
Hours played: 5

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $998
Hours played: 77.75
Hourly rate: $12.84/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 8.58 BB/100

2014 Tournaments

Overall profit for 2014: -$1925

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Sorry for the lack of updates, I only played two sessions in the last month.

3/22/2014: $2/$5 Cash

Hand 1
I'm in CO, player to my left straddles OTB. 4 limps to me including Villain (Rock, bluffy angle shooty guy described in earlier posts) and I have 8:h:9:h:. I limp. BTN checks.

Flop comes 8:d:4:c:2:d:. Checks to me, I bet $45 into $60, Lady (with like $100 behind) calls $45, Rock raises to $125, I call and plan on calling a lot of turn and river cards because he can have so many straight and flush draws based on my reads, Lady calls her remaining stack.

Turn Tx. Rock checks, I check. River another Tx. Rock checks, I check. Lady mucks and says she missed, Rock shows 8:c:6:c:, I win with my 9 kicker. I was surprised he check raised with this hand in a limped pot, I have noted this for future reference.

Hand 2
Aggressive Asian guy Peter is the villain in this hand. He's lost a few pots and is down to $500. I am sitting to his direct left. He opens for $20, I 3-bet to $70 with AKo, he shoves $500 and I snap call knowing he is tilted. He has A8o, we run the board twice and we chop. That sucks.

Hand 3
I'm in the SB and I open A:c:5:c: to $40 against Peter's straddle. He's tightened up a bunch after winning a few hands. MP calls, Peter calls.

Flop comes 6:c:6:h:5:d:. I bet $70 into $120. Both players call, but Peter kind of tenses up a bit suddenly. I read this as a sign of strength.

Turn comes a 5. I check, MP checks, Peter bets $100 into $330. I call, MP folds.

River is a 9. I check, Peter bets $230 into $530. I call. He has 87 for a straight but I win.

I don't normally use live reads for this reason, they aren't always very reliable. I made a mistake here and I think I could have b/b/b and made a lot more money (bet $220ish on the turn, and $500 on the river). Poorly played hand on my part.

Hand 4
I get AA in against A:h:K:h: preflop for $400 each.

First board runs out: Q:h: X X, T:h:, J

Second board runs out: two hearts on flop, brick turn, brick river.

This is the second hand I've chopped while getting it in as a big favorite.

Hand 5
Peter opens to $20 in the CO. I call on the BTN with Q:s:9:s:. SB and BB call. I thought I could call this profitably against this player in position, maybe should have just 3-bet or folded. Peter is $1800 deep, I cover him.

Flop comes J:s:6:h:3:s:. Checks to me, I bet $55 into $75. Folds to Peter who calls.

Turn comes T:h:. Peter checks, I bet $115 into $185, he raises to $350. I call.

Here are my thoughts on calling here: I doubt he has K or A high spades because he would have just c-bet flop with those hands. So I am thinking I have about 11 pretty clean outs (all spades except the 6 and T, and the non-heart K and 8). I need to call $235 into a pot that has $415. With implied odds I think calling is fine here, do you agree? Should I have raised?

River is the K:c:. Bingo! Peter bets $700 into $885. I go all in and he snap calls with A:s:Q:c:.

I rack up and leave in disbelief. This is the second session in a row when I have the second nuts in a huge pot and lose.

Today's stats
Total buy in: $1200
Cashed out: $426
Net profit: -$774

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $224
Hours played: 83.75
Hourly rate: $2.67/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 1.78 BB/100

2014 Tournaments

Overall profit for 2014: -$2699

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

4/7/2014: $2/$5 Cash

Hand 1
I raise JJ to $20 UTG. 3 callers including the BB who I haven't seen before.

Flop comes Q23r. Checks around.

Turn J. BB bets $30. I raise to $95. BB calls $65.

River 8x, no flushes. He leads $150 into $270. I go all in for his remaining $250 or so, and he takes literally a second and then calls with...ATo. I'll take the gift after my last few sessions.

Hand 2
The game is shorthanded, only 4 players, including a decent regular (V1, $1000 deep) and a very stationy lady (V2, about $400 deep). Since it's short handed we agreed to a mandatory button straddle.

BTN straddles, V2 completes in SB, I complete with 44 in BB, V1 raises to $45, BTN folds, V2 calls, I call.

Flop comes Q:d:T:d:4:s:. V2 leads for $75 into $145, I raise to $200, V1 raises to $500, V2 calls her remaining stack, I shove for $1000 effective, V1 tanks and then decides to call.

V1 has KK no :d:
V2 has KQ with K:d:.

We run it twice, V1 hits his one-outer K on the top board, I hold on the second board. We chop V2's money but how cool is it that I can't ever win 2 boards as a dominating favorite.

Hand 3
I open A:c:9:c: to $20 from the CO, tight player in the SB calls, BB calls.

Flop comes AK3r. Checks to me, I bet $40 into $60, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn Ax. SB checks, I bet $95 into $140, SB calls $95.

River 7x. SB checks, I bet $220 into $330, SB calls after about 10 seconds. I table my hand and he has 33 and said he was "scared of AK". I was b/fing the whole way so I guess I wasn't going to lose much more, but still I hate getting nit-rolled.
----------------------------

I actually won a bunch of small pots and made a decent profit today, but boy it would be nice to scoop some all ins has an overwhelming favorite one of these times.

Today's stats
Total buy in: $700
Cashed out: $1521
Net profit: $821

2014 Cash Games
Total profit: $1045
Hours played: 89.75
Hourly rate: $11.64/hour
Approximate BB/100 (assuming 30 hands per hour): 7.76 BB/100

2014 Tournaments

Overall profit for 2014: -$1878

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011

Mind_Taker posted:

He has A8o, we run the board twice and we chop. That sucks.

This is the second hand I've chopped while getting it in as a big favorite.

I rack up and leave in disbelief. This is the second session in a row when I have the second nuts in a huge pot and lose.

I'll take the gift after my last few sessions.

We chop V2's money but how cool is it that I can't ever win 2 boards as a dominating favorite.

boy it would be nice to scoop some all ins has an overwhelming favorite one of these times.

your writing style is already insufferable but the whining makes it even worse. why are you even keeping track of such arbitrary statistics as "this is the second session IN A ROW where i have the SECOND NUTS in a HUGE POT and LOSE"

also the A9cc hand against a tight sb is probably a pretty large mistake to 3barrel

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

your writing style is already insufferable but the whining makes it even worse. why are you even keeping track of such arbitrary statistics as "this is the second session IN A ROW where i have the SECOND NUTS in a HUGE POT and LOSE"

also the A9cc hand against a tight sb is probably a pretty large mistake to 3barrel

I specifically made this thread (one of three active poker threads in this forum) to post whatever the hell I want, sorry I didn't consult the Poker Writing Style Guidelines or consult you about whether it was appropriate or not to express emotion in this thread. I'll be sure to do that next time.

Also thanks for elaborating on why it's such a large mistake to 3-barrel. Constructive criticism indeed.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
because he cant call worse 3 times

i know you are posting whatever you want, it is making for a Great Thread

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

because he cant call worse 3 times

i know you are posting whatever you want, it is making for a Great Thread

Why can't he call KQ, KJ, KT, A8-? I think he has enough of this in his range even if he is tight. My read before the hand was he's not a 70 year old nit, just tighter than average. Of course my read has been adjusted now.

What line would you advocate?

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 8, 2014

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
the only worse aces there are are the one combo each of the suited aces and the 4 combos of each of ATo/AJo/AQo. I don't think KQ KJ KT call 3 times, and some people might even fold flop with people to act behind. On river only A8/6/5/4 are worse than us and those hands are very very unlikely to have called pre as offsuit hands, so there are only 4 combos of worse aces and 12 of better aces. 2 combos of suited aces with boats makes 14 combos of hands better than ours. This omits his actual hand of 3 combos of 33 because I think we can expect a raise on flop pretty often with 2p+. KQ KJ KT is basically where the hand breaks down. If you think he's really going to just call it off for 45bb on river it's a clear bet, but I think the best way to get value from worse hands in this situation is b/c/b.

it's really just because i think he's not calling 3 times with a king and the worse aces are pretty scant. Also him flatting AK pre isnt out of the question which would add another 3 combos of boats. if we b/c/b we can keep in all the kings and they'll have a very difficult time folding river. If we ch turn and he leads river we'll probably call but we can think about raising depending on what he does

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

the only worse aces there are are the one combo each of the suited aces and the 4 combos of each of ATo/AJo/AQo. I don't think KQ KJ KT call 3 times, and some people might even fold flop with people to act behind. On river only A8/6/5/4 are worse than us and those hands are very very unlikely to have called pre as offsuit hands, so there are only 4 combos of worse aces and 12 of better aces. 2 combos of suited aces with boats makes 14 combos of hands better than ours. This omits his actual hand of 3 combos of 33 because I think we can expect a raise on flop pretty often with 2p+. KQ KJ KT is basically where the hand breaks down. If you think he's really going to just call it off for 45bb on river it's a clear bet, but I think the best way to get value from worse hands in this situation is b/c/b.

it's really just because i think he's not calling 3 times with a king and the worse aces are pretty scant. Also him flatting AK pre isnt out of the question which would add another 3 combos of boats. if we b/c/b we can keep in all the kings and they'll have a very difficult time folding river. If we ch turn and he leads river we'll probably call but we can think about raising depending on what he does

I agree with basically all of this except I thought a second ace on the turn would make a king more likely to call than if a second ace didn't come, which is why I thought b/b/b would be better. If the turn was a blank I would have almost certainly checked.

After playing a few more orbits with this guy I realized he made some of the most ridiculous hero folds/flat calls (including the hand played against me), and a b/c/b line is almost certainly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'll update this thread with some stats when I get home, but I just wanted to share a hand I had the other day mainly because I don't want this thread getting archived.

Villain is a huge whale, in for like $10k in the 2/5 game and currently sitting on like $1500, I have him covered.

I have 97o in the BB and there are like 3 limpers to me including the whale in MP.

Flop comes A45. Checks around. Turn 8. Checks around. River is a 6 (no flushes possible). I bet $25, whale raises to $100, I go all in for $1500 effective and he snaps with 72o.

Needless to say I have been running really good lately.

• Locked thread