Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Mustached Demon posted:

Burn Notice is a treasure. You know it was going to be good when it had dad bod Ash Williams as the sidekick.

I liked their use of "thermite" (pretty it's magnesium shavings?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f97kyYeE9n8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

sebmojo posted:

Initially i had it just go out, but i added a little 'foof'

A little FOOF you say

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

gwrtheyrn posted:

A little FOOF you say

a little FOOF

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Desert Bus posted:

a little FOOF

Kid can burn a little sand, as a treat.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Fi just magicking ten grand worth of explosives out of her trunk or mixes up some nonsense in the kitchen while Madeline smokes two cigarettes at once. "You three need to stick together."

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Cranappleberry posted:

Fi just magicking ten grand worth of explosives out of her trunk or mixes up some nonsense in the kitchen while Madeline smokes two cigarettes at once. "You three need to stick together."
And then they get to the season finale and get told "Thank you, Michael, but the truth you're looking for is in another layer of the conspiracy".

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cranappleberry posted:

I figured she was pulling C4 out of some sort of magical IRA leprechaun pot o' plastique

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm actually watching the series for the first time and it's sort of going that way already (don't worry about spoilers I'm terrible at staying unspoiled)

There's one episode where Michael's narration mentions military firebombs being made from CTF?? A, terrifying, B, not sure if that's technically a firebomb, and C, does anyone actually do that?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I never even really thought about cost, what do the typical types tv boomclay cost?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Phy posted:

I'm actually watching the series for the first time and it's sort of going that way already (don't worry about spoilers I'm terrible at staying unspoiled)

There's one episode where Michael's narration mentions military firebombs being made from CTF?? A, terrifying, B, not sure if that's technically a firebomb, and C, does anyone actually do that?

What is CTF?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Chlorine trifluoride, which can best be described with this passage from John Clark's magnum opus Ignition!:

quote:

It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water—with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals—steel, copper, aluminum, etc.—because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride that protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You gotta remember that military explosives need to be handled by 18-year-olds who got a two-hour training session, of which 15 minutes was spent on how to handle the explosives. Said explosives also need to put up with anywhere from -50 to +50 celsius, theoretically, as well as being tossed around, subjected to G-forces, poked and prodded, etc. The military does not like chemicals that require delicate handling and climate control. That's why they love C4 so much: it won't go off except under very specific circumstances, but still gives a good boom for your buck.

I believe that after the passage in Ignition! that Kazinsal quoted, the author goes on to state that the military lost interest in fluorine-based rockets and told the chemists to come up with something else.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You gotta remember that military explosives need to be handled by 18-year-olds who got a two-hour training session, of which 15 minutes was spent on how to handle the explosives.

Should also include a few mentions on “DO NOT EAT THE EXPLOSIVES”, because that has been a thing before 🙃

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

Should also include a few mentions on “DO NOT EAT THE EXPLOSIVES”, because that has been a thing before 🙃

One of the semi-useful properties of C4 is that you can burn it readily without it detonating, meaning in an emergency situation it can serve as a fuel for a fire in a last ditch survival situation.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Bronn's wildfyre quote here

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I believe that after the passage in Ignition! that Kazinsal quoted, the author goes on to state that the military lost interest in fluorine-based rockets and told the chemists to come up with something else.

I mean they're using RFNA and UDMH, which still aren't nice.

(The nitric acid has a pinch of hydrofluoric acid in it because you can't ask cold-war rocket chemists to go cold-turkey like that.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean they're using RFNA and UDMH, which still aren't nice.

(The nitric acid has a pinch of hydrofluoric acid in it because you can't ask cold-war rocket chemists to go cold-turkey like that.)

I don't think any rocket fuels/oxidizers can be characterized as "nice". Insofar as you're trying to pack immense amounts of chemical potential energy into a dense package, they're simply just going to be unstable. Which isn't to say that I'd prefer RFNA over LOX, or UDMH over kerosene.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If I'm picking a team to keep in my shed it's RFNA and kerosene.

A more civilized planet would find itself without the vile plant poison oxygen.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kazinsal posted:

Chlorine trifluoride, which can best be described with this passage from John Clark's magnum opus Ignition!:

Good for cleaning out chemical vapor deposition chambers!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
coming soon: my facebook page touting CTF enemas as a cure-all. Fluoride is only bad in water.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cranappleberry posted:

coming soon: my facebook page touting CTF enemas as a cure-all. Fluoride is only bad in water.

Thirty years behind the state of the art: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8420252/

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Midjack posted:

Thirty years behind the state of the art: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8420252/

:ohno:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

MeSH Terms
Cocaine

Humans

Male

Self Medication

yep

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sober medical journal posted:

self-administered concentrated hydrofluoric acid enema while intoxicated from intranasal cocaine administration.

lmao dudes will see this and say hell yeah.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I don't think any rocket fuels/oxidizers can be characterized as "nice". Insofar as you're trying to pack immense amounts of chemical potential energy into a dense package, they're simply just going to be unstable. Which isn't to say that I'd prefer RFNA over LOX, or UDMH over kerosene.

That is true - getting something that works well as propellant and does the trick of sitting around until needed really doesn't leave a lot of room for other properties.

That said, Ethanol + water cocktail 75%-25% mix

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doctor, it hurts every time i do this

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

sebmojo posted:

Doctor, it hurts every time i do this

then stop doing that

CTF being hypergolic with most materials wouldn't necessarily make it a good firebomb, I don't think. It would just be really good at starting extremely toxic fires, but not necessarily at starting huge ones that spread rapidly, which is presumably what you'd want in a firebomb.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

venus de lmao posted:

CTF being hypergolic with most materials wouldn't necessarily make it a good firebomb, I don't think.

This included engineers, yet somehow the only death attributed to the stuff by Clark (iirc) was the poor bastard who ran away from the 1-ton spill of the stuff too hard and had a heart attack.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

This included engineers, yet somehow the only death attributed to the stuff by Clark (iirc) was the poor bastard who ran away from the 1-ton spill of the stuff too hard and had a heart attack.

I always figured the "test engineers" part of "wood, cloth, and test engineers" was... not exactly hyperbole, but part pithy statement and part staring-eyed warning, rather than direct experience. I could certainly believe it got tested on meat and/or bone at some point, and most engineers I know are made of those.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

venus de lmao posted:

then stop doing that

(eyes hydrofluoric acid enema)

no

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

sebmojo posted:

(eyes hydrofluoric acid enema)

no

(eyes small mountain of cocaine)

unless

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

SA posters have done arguably worse things to themselves whilst on cocaine.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Preechr posted:

(eyes small mountain of cocaine)

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co192344/glass-bottle-of-cocaine-eye-drops-bottle

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"yea but what if your EYEBALLS won't shut the gently caress up??"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I had a corneal abrasion a few years ago and whatever super-controlled -caine eyedrops they used at the hospital were a lifesaver

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Sentient Data posted:

I had a corneal abrasion a few years ago and whatever super-controlled -caine eyedrops they used at the hospital were a lifesaver

That's all well and good, but why in gods name did you feel the need for the enema afterwards?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I'd just eyeballed some drugs and was feeling inspired :drugnerd:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

SA posters have done arguably worse things to themselves whilst on cocaine.

I'm gonna need you to argue it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm gonna need you to argue it

Forums poster Enfield who got drunk, insufflated a bunch of coke then soaked his entire body in gasoline and lit a match only to survive it and become said poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Forums poster Enfield who got drunk, insufflated a bunch of coke then soaked his entire body in gasoline and lit a match only to survive it and become said poster.

OK that one is new to me