Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
how is there not an SAclopedia entry on this?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Forums poster Enfield who got drunk, insufflated a bunch of coke then soaked his entire body in gasoline and lit a match only to survive it and become said poster.

That account appears to be a GBS shitposter who has been banned for years; be skeptical.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I can be responsible with a huge pile of coke. Trust me, just lemme use the coke pile for a bit.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

jetz0r posted:

I can be responsible with a huge pile of coke. Trust me, just lemme use the coke pile for a bit.

"I don't do cocaine I just like how it smells"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jetz0r posted:

I Will be the Trustworthy Guardian of the Cocaine Pile

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

sebmojo posted:

I Will be the Trustworthy Guardian of the Cocaine Pile

They have trouble staffing that position, as former employees keep leaving to pursue starting new businesses and podcasts.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Okay this is a fun video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drqFh-p2ZyY

I'm going to check out the rest of the channel.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Okay this is a fun video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drqFh-p2ZyY

I'm going to check out the rest of the channel.

This lost me at "home defense 40mm autocannon" - it's way too hard to clear a room with one of those, much less a whole house. Completely unrealistic scenario.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Shooting Blanks posted:

This lost me at "home defense 40mm autocannon" - it's way too hard to clear a room with one of those, much less a whole house. Completely unrealistic scenario.

What do you mean? 20ish seconds of sustained fire should clear most houses; larger-than-average houses may require additional bombardment to collapse all structural walls.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Now that's what I call clearing.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Had a dealer back in the 80s who had a huge pile of cocaine. It was in one of those gallon ziploc bags, and about one-third filled it.

He must have crossed the wrong person or persons unknown, because he ended up with a bullet through the back of his head. They didn't even take his supply, according to the paper.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

Had a dealer back in the 80s who had a huge pile of cocaine. It was in one of those gallon ziploc bags, and about one-third filled it.

He must have crossed the wrong person or persons unknown, because he ended up with a bullet through the back of his head. They didn't even take his supply, according to the paper.

It not being actual cocaine / cut 99% with baking powder would explain all of these things at once.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

No, it was the real thing. I've had stepped on and good stuff, and he had the good stuff. He'd dip into the bag to get my piddling little gram.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/pulse_tube/status/1776114034640842954

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The absolute fool. Sulfuric acid and fluorspar will get you aqueous HF acid but you need oleum and a reaction temperature of 200-400C for a suitable rate, yield, and self purification through the gas phase if you want HF.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

zedprime posted:

The absolute fool. Sulfuric acid and fluorspar will get you aqueous HF acid but you need oleum and a reaction temperature of 200-400C for a suitable rate, yield, and self purification through the gas phase if you want HF.

Oh, I have no doubt that they'll succeed in purifying themselves.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

Oh, I have no doubt that they'll succeed in purifying themselves.

There are easier ways to do it than getting the “OW MY BONES” juice involved, just saying :ohno:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

zedprime posted:

Gaseous HF is certainly something one should be making in their backyard, especially someone not intimately familiar with the production process.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Elviscat posted:

Gaseous HF is certainly something one should be making in their backyard, especially someone not intimately familiar with the production process.

someone intimately familiar with the process would not be performing said process in a residential backyard

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I kind of want to react fluorspar with sulfuric acid in my backyard but my commercial process knowledge gives me the foresight to realize I can get the same result throwing a bottle of glass etch at landscaping rocks.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm a fan of the ghetto press fit pressure? vessel with no actual fasteners

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

well it's better than making it in the house, at least.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Icon Of Sin posted:

There are easier ways to do it than getting the “OW MY BONES” juice involved, just saying :ohno:

Ow my bones?
Source?
Pubmed?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
thalium, the poisoner's poison

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the Australian Thallium Craze, a real thing that happened, just like The Emu Wars. Totally not nonsense from Narnia.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zedprime posted:

I kind of want to react fluorspar with sulfuric acid in my backyard but my commercial process knowledge gives me the foresight to realize I can get the same result throwing a bottle of glass etch at landscaping rocks.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When I was in grad school, someone in another lab spilled a bunch of THF everywhere. When it was reported it in to the safety people, they apparently only heard "HF" and thus called in the 5 alarm fire response. Everyone was very confused for a while.

I remember all the emergency personnel arriving but I didn't get all the backstory until years later

Nissin Cup Nudist has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Apr 13, 2024

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

My university had a storage shed for outdated chemical storage. The new university president didn't like the look of it, so he ordered it moved. The orders didn't go the the department, they went to maintenance. So they came along with a forklift. As soon as it lifted a few inches, the sound of breaking glass was heard.

It ended with a call for a hazmat team response. The building got closed for a day during the cleanup.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

can't remember if I told the story of finding a low pressure flask of nerve gas in my university, under a disused sink

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Potato Salad posted:

can't remember if I told the story of finding a low pressure flask of nerve gas in my university, under a disused sink

Are we talking a "has a NATO designation" nerve agent or "particularly potent cholinesterase-inhibiting pesticide that you still don't wanna gently caress with" nerve agent?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Aren't all nerve agents pesticides if you widen your definition of pest enough?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Here's a different kind of dangerous chemistry: the prep is safe enough but the result is absolutely not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94eNquY3Fbg

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Potato Salad posted:

:allears:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marcade posted:

Yes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, during the Novichok "incidents" I described nerve gas as "human-grade bug spray" more than once to acquaintances and friends who were curious and whose only exposure to "what is nerve gas" was The Rock and 24.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
thalidomide still has useful medical applications but was a great a example of the damage that poor scientific rigor can do especially if it isn't checked. It's also an example of a few scientists correctly checking poor rigor to try to prevent harm.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fuckin' chirality, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Marcade posted:

The only difference between a pesticide and a war crime is the size of the pest.