Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Here's a different kind of dangerous chemistry: the prep is safe enough but the result is absolutely not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94eNquY3Fbg

Wonder what the bobblehead is from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

fuckin' chirality, man.

Puts a weird spin on things :dadjoke:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Puts a weird spin on things :dadjoke:

Downright sinister if you ask me.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Downright sinister if you ask me.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hydrazine as an antidepressant

I discovered that after discovering that Canada is getting a spaceport in Canso, Nova Scotia, no less. There was some concern for the environment in the case of rocket crashes involving RFNA and UDMH, claiming the environmental damage could last "hundreds" of years? I'm not convinced, but I have to admit I've zero idea of how you handle a rocket crash filled with, hm, hypergolic chemicals.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nebakenezzer posted:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hydrazine as an antidepressant

I discovered that after discovering that Canada is getting a spaceport in Canso, Nova Scotia, no less. There was some concern for the environment in the case of rocket crashes involving RFNA and UDMH, claiming the environmental damage could last "hundreds" of years? I'm not convinced, but I have to admit I've zero idea of how you handle a rocket crash filled with, hm, hypergolic chemicals.

Oh yeah phenelzine and related MAOIs. It's also a moiety on hydralazine.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Same energy as 'common heart medicine, nitroglycerin'.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
MAOIs often get a bad rap. Irreversible inhibitors are the reason because yeah tyramine and other chemicals go from benign to become serious poisons, on top of the other serious side-effects and on top of all the issues with flooding the zone with a ton of monoamines. But there are reversible MAOA and MOAB inhibitors, including naturally-occurring ones. Also they are often more effective for treating depression.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
From Captain Invictus's delightful "things i've seen at work" thread:

Captain Invictus posted:

a leaking box of two gallons of sulfuric acid

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's not as bad as some other stuff in this thread but it's still not good. Especially leaking.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not flashy, but bulk acids score pretty high on the combination of “likelihood of encountering” and “loving your day up”.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I was thinking something similar about Hydrogen Sulfide the other day - like yeah there are more dangerous gasses, there are more common gasses, but it sits right in that venn diagram intersection of 'this will really gently caress you up' and 'there is a good chance you might encounter a lot of it if you're in the right field'.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

I guess it depends on the concentration but ime with acids you know pretty quick you were exposed, while bases make you go hey my arm feels kinda tingly before all the skin sloughs off while you rinse it in the sink

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can tell it's a boring concentration of sulfuric acid because the cardboard is wet and not a charred flake of carbon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Speaking of
Nurdrage put out two videos on sulfuric acid, one about distilling it from crude sources, and another for making oleum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2zzm8VP9Y

Love me the concept of fuming acids but Oleums some scary stuff

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Speaking of
Nurdrage put out two videos on sulfuric acid, one about distilling it from crude sources, and another for making oleum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2zzm8VP9Y

Love me the concept of fuming acids but Oleums some scary stuff

In my internship 40 years ago at a major industrial chemical plant, I was responsible for brewing loving tons of boiling oleum and pouring that hellbrew into tank cars to be shipped all over America! :science:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oleum is pretty thread by itself. “We heard you like acids so we put some sulphuric acid in your sulphuric acid.”

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There was an article the other day on Dutch news website NOS about some invasive pest and the fact that effective pesticides are quite bad for the environment.
The article went into some alternatives they explored.
A university expert says:

"We also experimented with so-called 'bait sprays'. This is when you add chemical pesticides to food that attracts the insects. Since they're attracted to it, you don't have to spray the pesticide everywhere.
However, you'd still need to use the pesticides.
We investigated if we could make a bait spray with non-chemical substances but that turned out to be harder than expected."

I uh...

I want to see these 'non-chemical substances' they tried.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pests are natural.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Simple as.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Neutronium. Guaranteed electron-free!

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
We use purely informational attractant's. Now unfortunately ,most of our customers are trapped eternally within Carcosa, but we believe we can still deliver profit to our shareholders

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Carbon dioxide posted:

There was an article the other day on Dutch news website NOS about some invasive pest and the fact that effective pesticides are quite bad for the environment.

"We also experimented with so-called 'bait sprays'. This is when you add chemical pesticides to food that attracts the insects. Since they're attracted to it, you don't have to spray the pesticide everywhere.
We investigated if we could make a bait spray with non-chemical substances but that turned out to be harder than expected."

I uh...

Are you talking about Asian hornets?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The only way to deal with Asian hornets is to find and burn out their nests. Preferably you find them before they manage to build a nest and just vacuum them up all slurp slurp and kill them that way but once they're established you have to destroy the nests, otherwise they'll just dig in and you'll always be stuck with the bastards.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

that sounds like work
now pass the neonicotinoids

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Reminds me of a radio ad for 30% vinegar which claimed it "didn't contain any harsh chemicals". Aside from, ya know, 30% acetic acid.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Marcade posted:

Reminds me of a radio ad for 30% vinegar which claimed it "didn't contain any harsh chemicals". Aside from, ya know, 30% acetic acid.

That's only an organic acid, barely counts at all.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

That's only an organic acid, barely counts at all.

Someone's never been near an open bottle of glacial acetic acid.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

I uh...

Sound like a standard reference to bioloical pest control, like ladybugs for aphid infestations or nematode packed spray or bait pellets for snails etc.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mustached Demon posted:

Someone's never been near an open bottle of glacial acetic acid.

"I can't smell anything suddenly"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rust Martialis posted:

"I can't smell anything suddenly"

VAXXED?

(im kidding im kidding)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

Are you talking about Asian hornets?

No, these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drosophila_suzukii

They're called the "suzuki fly" here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some folks in Utah had hundreds of pounds of dynamite in their basement.

The bomb squad blew it up in situ, levelling the house. Neighbors had an hour’s notice to evacuate, in the wee hours of the morning.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
insurance company: that falls under "act of God" which is, as it happens, not covered

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Could I get a comprehensive insurance policy after finding the dynamite but before calling the bomb squad? It’s worth a try.

Either way, I would move everything not in the basement out of the house and give the neighbors a heads-up. It’s been there for decades. It can hold out for an extra couple of days.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh, those wacky mormons

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Looks like it was a family heirloom or generational dynamite.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Mormons are required to keep a years supply of dynamite on hand at all times.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

thinking ab dis and its really funny

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Desert Bus posted:

Mormons are required to keep a years supply of dynamite on hand at all times.

Gonna ask about dynamite at the Home Storage Center.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

So it was purple or something instead of red?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mustached Demon posted:

The family Atomics