Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Looks like it was a family heirloom or generational dynamite.

Ye olde timey explosive, complete with sweat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Marcade posted:

Reminds me of a radio ad for 30% vinegar which claimed it "didn't contain any harsh chemicals". Aside from, ya know, 30% acetic acid.

Uh, wouldn't "30% vinegar" be a 30/70 mix of 5% acetic acid, aka 1.5% acetic acid?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mycomancy posted:

Uh, wouldn't "30% vinegar" be a 30/70 mix of 5% acetic acid, aka 1.5% acetic acid?

Depends if it's 30% acetic acid sold as 30% vinegar or a 30% dilution of vinegar as 5% acetic acid.

It's really all about how they label it. Yes it's stupid.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
it's a gary larson comic. Grandpa's will splitting up the family bible, money and family dynamite worked out well... for Jim

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mustached Demon posted:

Someone's never been near an open bottle of glacial acetic acid.

Someone in my lab apparently transferred roughly a liter of that into a secondary bottle and just labeled it "acetic acid" which was rather unhelpful since there was no indication of strength

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
labeling this can of campbells 'tomato soup' cause it's all the same poo poo yeah?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

kirtar posted:

Someone in my lab apparently transferred roughly a liter of that into a secondary bottle and just labeled it "acetic acid" which was rather unhelpful since there was no indication of strength

freezing point test. Flash point test. Or just use it for an ochem lab I experiment because why not.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I mean if you really want to know just titrate it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Na proper labeling needs to have concentration on it too.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Does it though? Like, if it's a 10g chunk of sodium just sitting there it's gonna be pretty standard concentration.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vinegar has its own special scale, grains, where grains refers to the mass of sodium hydroxide required to neutralize vinegar of a given concentration. 50 grain vinegar is roughly 5% acetic acid.

The Lone Badger posted:

yep! exactly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Shrinkflation has hit household vinegar.

Sometimes its four and a half percent now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

There was major backlash against this because a lot of people rely on the vinegar being 5% to safely preserve food. Diluting the vinegar you manufacture could actually kill people.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CainFortea posted:

Does it though? Like, if it's a 10g chunk of sodium just sitting there it's gonna be pretty standard concentration.

A chunk of sodium (still label it sodium in whatever oily thing you put it in) is a little different than bottle with clear, colorless liquid in it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

A chunk of sodium (still label it sodium in whatever oily thing you put it in) is a little different than bottle with clear, colorless liquid in it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:negative:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

waste of company resources! do you know how much base costs?!

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Mustached Demon posted:

No need to get so dium salty about it.

(Improper labeling is the worst. Date, concentration, initials should all be bare minimum along with identity.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And from my perspective; traceability code.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Lone Badger posted:

Nah, what we got here is a big bottle of hood squeezins. Only the finest hosed up titrations, overcooked reagents, and shattered bits of prevously expensive glassware, all poured into a carboy someone brought it to try and brew beer in the supplies closet.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

So happy I work in the doom chemical industry and not pharma.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Only the finest hosed up titrations, overcooked reagents, and shattered bits of prevously expensive glassware

Thats a decent new thread title contender, if only it would fit.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Nah, what we got here is a big bottle of hood squeezins. Only the finest hosed up titrations, overcooked reagents, and shattered bits of prevously expensive glassware, all poured into a carboy someone brought it to try and brew beer in the supplies closet.

The chemist's "Bar Mat Shot"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Desert Bus posted:

The chemist's "Bar Mat Shot"

"Why are my sinuses burning?"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Thats a decent new thread title contender, if only it would fit.

Could just go with PYF : Only the finest hosed up titrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Platystemon posted:

Never thought I'd have to check this. I don't do anything beyond quick pickling, but still good to know!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cranappleberry posted:

freezing point test. Flash point test. Or just use it for an ochem lab I experiment because why not.

You're forgetting the sniff test.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

taste test, dip some fries in it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

"Why are my sinuses burning?"

"No seriously, you didn't label any of these chemicals, why are my sinuses burning?!?"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

DildenAnders posted:

No need to get so dium salty about it.

(Improper labeling is the worst. Date, concentration, initials should all be bare minimum along with identity.)

Allowing you to yell "WHO USED ALL MY ACETIC ACID" in the lab since it's clearly marked as yours.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I can't think about improper labelling without thinking about the chubbyemu video about someone who for some stupid reason put organophosphate pesticide in a Gatorade bottle

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Isentropy posted:

I can't think about improper labelling without thinking about the chubbyemu video about someone who for some stupid reason put organophosphate pesticide in a Gatorade bottle

I'm reminded of the one where the guy repeatedly sprayed his balls with pesticide. It started to hurt and instead of stopping, he did it more.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Kwyndig posted:

I'm reminded of the one where the guy repeatedly sprayed his balls with pesticide. It started to hurt and instead of stopping, he did it more.

:wtf:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The worst outcomes on the chubbyemu videos are always where the patient can't or won't tell the doctors what they did. Because some of this organic chemistry poo poo is easy to treat if you know what it is and get to it fast enough, but if you won't tell your doctor you've been spraying your balls with pesticide there's not much he can do except make wild guesses as to what's wrong with you based on your symptoms and he's not going to guess "sprayed my balls with RoundUp".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What's the other 56%, pure cyanide?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

What's the other 56%, pure cyanide?

johnny appleseed engine?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Soon uh... If that chart is right, max impulse is at an O/F ratio of 0.7.

Is that mol ratio?

So 0.7 moles of F2 with 1 mole HCN. If it's all gas coming out (4000K lol ya)

0.7 F2 + HCN ---> x HF + stuff

Assume all the H runs off with F.

Most of the N go to N2 maybe?

And some carbon (black smoke)?

The hot HF is going to MURDER your combustion chamber, and I suspect hot CN- isn't nice. Plus if it's not cryogenic you're not getting regenerative cooling for your 4000K reaction so what the hell are you able to use....

HF 1 mole
N2 0.5 mol

A mole of carbon and 0.4 moles F... That'll make a mess of fluorocarbons

This is just handwaving...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's a substantially worse isp than most hydrolox vacuum engines, which is used for pretty much every upper stage currently in use.